Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur - 21/12/08 - Pre-match thread

Dave

Guest kingdawson

butt was your best player at the lane last year, plus he was excellent the season before (the time when we absolutly dismantled you yet you somehow managed to win the game).

Guest firetotheworks

butt was your best player at the lane last year, plus he was excellent the season before (the time when we absolutly dismantled you yet you somehow managed to win the game).

Aye we somehow managed to win by scoring 3 goals. Weird that. Saying that Im a bit nervous about this match. Its just our style to play well away and then lose at home. Butt isnt our key btw, you could say its Bassong, Given, Colo, Jonas, Owen, Martins, or possibly Guthrie, but not Butt.

My head says 3-1 to us

my heart (broken by nufc on many an occassion when Ive expected more) says 1-0 to you.

They've only conceded 1 goal in the past 4 league games.... I think we're gonna struggle to score against them.

But could you imagine what it would feel like to actually win games back to back... wow!

He sees it as a distraction from what really matters (the league). He's said that players like Bostock and Parrett will be playing on thursday. Tbh i dont even think he'd really care to much if we get knocked out.

I got money on you cunts beating the Russian cunts!  Arrghhh :angry:

They've only conceded 1 goal in the past 4 league games.... I think we're gonna struggle to score against them.

But could you imagine what it would feel like to actually win games back to back... wow!

Woodgate played every one of those games though.  I just wish King had started against Manure, then we'd be up against Dawson and someone else shit.  As it is they've got a very good record with King in the side, though I suppose that was King and Woodgate rather then King and Dawson.

Woodgate played every one of those games though.  I just wish King had started against Manure, then we'd be up against Dawson and someone else s***.  As it is they've got a very good record with King in the side, though I suppose that was King and Woodgate rather then King and Dawson.

Woodgate played 10 mins against Man Utd, and they kept them out the whole game without king as well... I'm just worried everyone is saying we're gonna batter them, but form suggest since Redknapp has come in they've been very difficult to play against (like ourselves). Its got draw writen all over it.

Plus I really can't see us winning 2 in a row, or Owen scoring 3 games in a row! I hope to god I'm wrong... I f*kin hate spurs with a passion!!

Yeah they did well against Manure without King and Woodgate, at home I might add, though still a good point.  But overall if you look at there record they win far more with King and Woodgate side by side then they do without.  Its something like 55% with and 10% without (just from memory so don't quote me on it).

Aye we somehow managed to win by scoring 3 goals. Weird that. Saying that Im a bit nervous about this match. Its just our style to play well away and then lose at home. Butt isnt our key btw, you could say its Bassong, Given, Colo, Jonas, Owen, Martins, or possibly Guthrie, but not Butt.

My head says 3-1 to us

my heart (broken by nufc on many an occassion when Ive expected more) says 1-0 to you.

I can vouch that you can indeed dominate a game and lose it by conceding 3 goals.

Guest firetotheworks

My head says 3-1 to us

I can vouch that you can indeed dominate a game and lose it by conceding 3 goals.

True. In that match though he's saying they dismantled us. I think people forget that Shay Given is actually part of our team, and not some sort of hired help though. He made some amazing saves playing for us. We were dismanted twice, they were dismantled twice, but Oba also scored that screamer. I agree with your point in general though, it just doesnt apply to the match KD is on about imo.

EDIT: Also, we can vouch for it too. We lost 4-1 to Fulham at home a few seasons ago but dominated the game. Crossley won 'Performance of the season' for the game I remember.

My head says 3-1 to us

True. In that match though he's saying they dismantled us. I think people forget that Shay Given is actually part of our team, and not some sort of hired help though. He made some amazing saves playing for us. We were dismanted twice, they were dismantled twice, but Oba also scored that screamer. I agree with your point in general though, it just doesnt apply to the match KD is on about imo.

EDIT: Also, we can vouch for it too. We lost 4-1 to Fulham at home a few seasons ago but dominated the game. Crossley won 'Performance of the season' for the game I remember.

Aye true.

Not sure whether its better to play s**t and lose, or dominate and lose.

[/grrrashleyyoung]

Guest kingdawson

My head says 3-1 to us

We had about 4 clear cut chances in the first 15 minutes. Didnt we have like 20+ shots on goal and you lot had 3 (you scored all your chances). Yes Given had a stormer and im not denying that, but you lot were very lucky to win that game.

The game we had at sjp recently is a different story and you lot clearly deserved your victories (and the dismantle job you did to us at the lane).

Guest firetotheworks

My head says 3-1 to us

We had about 4 clear cut chances in the first 15 minutes. Didnt we have like 20+ shots on goal and you lot had 3 (you scored all your chances). Yes Given had a stormer and im not denying that, but you lot were very lucky to win that game.

The game we had at sjp recently is a different story and you lot clearly deserved your victories (and the dismantle job you did to us at the lane).

I dont think we were lucky at all, I dont remember any of our goals being dubious or lucky, in fact two of them were excellent goals. You didnt have any shouts for penalties and the ref was alright. Theres no denying you had chances but the Berbatov goal was scuffed and could have went wide for one of your other chances you should have scored. Although you had a lot of possession you were at home and we played on the counter. In your position Id maybe be arguing the toss aswell because you played well and lost, but imo we played well and won.

Anyway, should be a decent match next week, usually is.

I think at the moment the impact of results and how players react to them is all-important. If you can get another positive result against Spurs then perhaps a better 2nd half of the season can be looked forward to. Due to the competitive [crap standard] nature of the league, even a loss against Spurs would leave you within sight of top half.

For the first time I can remember, the general look of the league may not be decided until Mar/Apr.

Bearing in mind that the Liverpool game is close on this one, the Spurs game has fallen into the 'Must get something from it' category - and it will NOT be easy.

They could easily have beaten Man U last weekend, and perhaps should have done on decent chances created...Redknapp's arrival has given them a lift in confidence ; they already have some decent players, which is why they have improved since he joined them

Past results will mean NOTHING in this match, and NUFC will have to give 110% if they are to win.

If we go behind, I reckon we will lose, but much will depend on whether Woodgate is fit - if Dawson does play, our chances are improved.

We cannot afford to lose BOTH of the impending games - 2 points is the MINIMUM acceptable return from them if the club is to stay clear of the bottom 3.

Bearing in mind that the Liverpool game is close on this one, the Spurs game has fallen into the 'Must get something from it' category - and it will NOT be easy.

They could easily have beaten Man U last weekend, and perhaps should have done on decent chances created...Redknapp's arrival has given them a lift in confidence ; they already have some decent players, which is why they have improved since he joined them

Past results will mean NOTHING in this match, and NUFC will have to give 110% if they are to win.

If we go behind, I reckon we will lose, but much will depend on whether Woodgate is fit - if Dawson does play, our chances are improved.

We cannot afford to lose BOTH of the impending games - 2 points is the MINIMUM acceptable return from them if the club is to stay clear of the bottom 3.

Assuming other teams pick up points?

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Newcastle United hit by Oba Martins fitness fears

NEWCASTLE United are sweating on Obafemi Martins’ fitness for the Christmas period which sees them play three games in the space of eight days.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/16/newcastle-united-hit-by-oba-martins-fitness-fears-72703-22487171/

Well, well, well isn't that just a kick in the teeth. The Spurs destroyer out?

People really have to be careful what they wish for. I blame Optimistic nut. Seems he will get his fantasy strikeforce of Owen and Viduka upfront.

Rather have Shola start over Viduka.

Agreed. or even Xisco or Duff or Ranger.

Don't rate Viduka at all. 

Gutted if Martins is out. I'd fancy us to beat them with Martins. Without its still possible but i'm a lot less confident.