The Story So Far

Tooj

Some interesting points there Baggio. Is the Barton comment a piss take out of those who think players are shit because they miss games due to injury etc? He was missed on Sunday imo.

Also, agree about Arsenal, the worst performance of the season, we managed to merely 'live' with them for about 10 minutes in the second half. The West Ham game was glossed over by Owen's strike too.

Some interesting points there Baggio. Is the Barton comment a piss take out of those who think players are shit because they miss games due to injury etc? He was missed on Sunday imo.

Also, agree about Arsenal, the worst performance of the season, we managed to merely 'live' with them for about 10 minutes in the second half. The West Ham game was glossed over by Owen's strike too.

I think it would have been better suited if I said Barton had been the biggest disappointment of the season rather than the worst player.

I think it would have been better suited if I said Barton had been the biggest disappointment of the season rather than the worst player.

Keegan has been the biggest disappointment.

Possibly, but I didn't want to turn it into another sausagefest.

Possibly, but I didn't want to turn it into another sausagefest.

I should qualify that then by saying I don't blame him or anyone else until we find out exactly what happened.

Taken this from another forum, I've also left the questions in the manner they are so some of the fans of other teams can answer this as well.

Team: Newcastle United

Current Position: 12th

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Pushing for Europe. We took a big setback when Keegan left but we are recovering gradually.

Best player so far this season: I'd say Jonas. early on he was spectacular, now he's a marked man but he still put's in a hard shift every match. Even when he's not performing wonders on the wing he works hard for the team.

Worst player so far this season: Smith.

Best game so far: Villa at home. Pompey looked spectacular but that was a team struggling since Reknapp left them in the lurch. Villa was a great win against a team in form.

Worst game so far: Take your pick from any of the games after Keegan left.

Who would you like to sign in January: A central midfielder who can drive forward and a striker who will cover the loss of Owen and Viduka.

Who would you like to sell in January: Smith, Duff and Butt.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: He's done well and it's great that his desire has produced some pretty decent results. He's not Keegan but then Keegan doesn't want to be here that badly.

General thoughts on your team so far: another season hamstrung due to the upheavals around the club but we are fighting hard to keep ourselves up there, which is encouraging. 

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 8th - 10th.

Team:    NUFC

Where did you expect your team to currently be:  mid-table

Best player so far this season:  jonas just edging out bassong

Worst player so far this season: cacapa. guthrie from those who've played most.

Best game so far: pompey

Worst game so far: wigan. dominated and out played at home till a non-sending off and then to lose the 3 points in the last few minutes.

Who would you like to sign in January: lots of obvious names....the person who brought jonas and bassong probably.

Who would you like to sell in January:  smith (doubt we'd get a fee for cacapa)

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: done ok, seems to have steadied things of late. still seen nothing to make me want him beyond may.

General thoughts on your team so far: lack of confidence is a bigger worry than lack of talent.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season:10th

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Top 6, maybe even top at this stage of the season given the relatively slow start by the Top 4, and the fact that we've had what should have been an easier first half to the season fixturewise.

Best player so far this season:I was never Shay Given's biggest fan, but he has been both faultless and important to our cause this season.

Worst player so far this season: Nicky Butt. Penalty after penalty after missed placed pass after free kick after yellow card.

Best game so far: Manchester United away. We were unlucky not to win.

Worst game so far: Sunderland.

Who would you like to sign in January: I don't think any signing made will be one who has an immediate and long term effect unless we can uncover another Bassong. It will be a short term squad player, or a long term young player.

Who would you like to sell in January: No-one.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season:He's the best we could hope for given the off-pitch problems, but I hope he isn't the long term manager.

General thoughts on your team so far: Hard to work out the exact direction the club is going.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: Impossible to say. Could go down, could challenge for Europe.

Really? I'd say Guthrie has been the pick of our central midfielders, even though that isn't saying a lot.

when we were really bad he disappeared. as the centre mid supposedly with the legs he drifts away and makes others make the forwrad moves,doesn't win the ball,doesn't have the ball much doesn't look for it much....seems to hide an awful lot.

i'm hoping the last couple of games have been a turning point for him.

Guest The German

Really? I'd say Guthrie has been the pick of our central midfielders, even though that isn't saying a lot.

when we were really bad he disappeared. as the centre mid supposedly with the legs he drifts away and makes others make the forwrad moves,doesn't win the ball,doesn't have the ball much doesn't look for it much....seems to hide an awful lot.

Guthrie was class like the whole season. Worst player: Never. I would more call Cacapa or Butt them like!

Guest firetotheworks

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Somewhere in the top 10

Best player so far this season:Really hard to say actually.  Coloccini for his quality, consistency, adaptability and the amount of times he's played.

Worst player so far this season: Damien Duff for not beating his man, playing a decent cross, getting caught in possession and generally slowing down the team.

Best game so far: Aston Villa at home is the best Ive seen us play against decent opposition.

Worst game so far: Stoke really hurt even though we still got a point.

Who would you like to sign in January: Experienced back up left back and an attacking midfielder at the least.

Who would you like to sell in January: No-one if we dont replace them, but a swap including Cacapa, Smith or Carroll could be good depending on who the replacements are.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: So far this season he has done very well. Main complaints were with his substitutions, but the good thing is that he seems to have learned from those mistakes. He's got balls, and we need that at the moment.

General thoughts on your team so far: Quality team, spread disproportionality across the positions.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: Slightly higher than the usual relegation, salvation, midtable finish. Between 7th and 11th I reckon

:thup:

Thought he started well, drifted, and has come back again.

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Top six.

Best player so far this season:  Given, Bassong, Jonas. Martins is still our most important asset.

Worst player so far this season: No complaints really. We need to improve on Butt, Duff/N'Zogbia, but the really poor players are not starting. That's a nice change from the past few seasons.

Best game so far: Manchester United away

Worst game so far: Stoke City home

Who would you like to sign in January: A replacement for Nicky Butt. I'd like us to sign Xabi Alonso.  :iamatwat: A player that can take free kicks would be nice.

Who would you like to sell in January: Smith.  Don't think we have much of value and we aren't that deep.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: We miss KK. Kudos to JK for making the team respectable, if not threatning. His poor management has cost us some points-- for example, Stoke City.

General thoughts on your team so far: Dropped too many points to poor teams. Honestly believe that with Keegan in charge we could be doing what Aston Villa has done this season.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: No reason we couldn't come in sixth or seventh. The top four and Villa aside, the league is awfully soft. Tottenham and Man City really ought to be better than they are. And Everton has injuries and no money.

Guest optimistic nit

Where did you expect your team to currently be: 6th to 10th, but playing well

Best player so far this season: Jonas, Bassong and Colo have all beenexcellent buys and given is back to his best, but the thought of jonas, barton, guthrie/nzogbia and a front 3 of viduka, martins and owen playing in front of the current back 5 under keegan with january transfer window approaching makes me feel a bit angry. i'm tempted to go for bassong, but he's only had 5 or so games at cenreback, i'm also tempted to go for jonas, but although he's proved to me at least he has the ability to be a superb signing, he hasn't performed to his best mainly due to what is happening around him so i'm going to go for colo. martins and owen have also played very well in some games but then looked like sunday league players in others.

Worst player so far this season: jose has been very dodgy in some games, but butt's penalty count has to put him here, even if he does have the odd good game

Best game so far: Portsmouth, ManU, Villa, Spurs and Chelsea have been our best results so far, but the comebacks against city and everton seem to be what turned the corner for us, so i'm going to go for the everton comeback with an honerable mention to drawing with city (when they were supposed to be good) with 10 men.

Worst game so far: Sunderland, Hull, West ham, Blackburn, Stoke. all equally shit. the sunderland game would edge it, but it was followed by a 6 game run of defeats for them and we've only lost one game since, so i think you could argue very strongly that losing to the mackems has been the best result of our season, and the worst of theirs, which takes most of the sting out of that one :lol:

Who would you like to sign in January: i have zero confidence in kinnear's transfer targets if risse and his team selections are anything to go by, so i would be quite happy for him to sign no one rather than riise or players of that ilk. if i'm wrong about him however, we need a central midfielder more than anything else. if we get one of those, another striker wouldn't hurt in the slightest as well as a new right and left back. a young understudy to jonas as well if we are going wild. who? i know very little about players outside this league as i didn't buy fm this year ;) . if it was to be only PL players then i think we should try and take advantage of city's plight. a club in crisis (like us) with lots of quality players who may want to leave or be replaced if city try for a new squad in jan. otherwise west ham will probably need to sell a lot of their players and wigan have a good squad, but are a nothing team so the players may be willing to leave. would like us to go in for either santa cruz or mccarthy. probably wont get santa cruz, but its worth a shot. cisse is worth an attempt as well. do the mackems have a buy out clause for him?

Who would you like to sell in January:  Smith. we have a small squad and may need the rest of them.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: basically what 2J said, but just to add to that i still have very little confidence in him. we shouldn't sack him as it would be pointless, but he seems to be a bit of an imbacile. good on him for not putting duff and taylor straight into the team, but the fact that bassong or zog didn't get hardly any minutes in their preffered position even when their counterparts were playing like horse shit is pretty worrying. he seems to know when something is working, but when it isn't he doesn't seem to know how to fix it, which gives me little confidence that he can turn around any bad patches of form we have.

its a bit worrying that he did not know bassong is a centreback (doesn't he talk to the players) and even if he didn't know that then surely his attributes pointed to him being better at cb anyway, but it took until taylor was injured for him to beplayed there.

also the fact that nzogbia didn't even get brought on when it was clear we needed some attacking fliar in matches was very frustrating.

we are playing well now however, so i hope he can keep doing whatever he's doing.

General thoughts on your team so far: about 12 good players and 4-5 decent ones. enough for a mid table finish here, but could have been even better if keegan had stayed

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 7th-18th.