Newcastle United vs Liverpool - 28/12/08 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

Howay, we've lost to Wigan so in true Newcastle style - we'll get a good result against the scousers!

.....in reality though, this could be our toughest match of the season. I think it'll be 1-3....*sigh*

now is your time to shine edgar, carrol/xisco - SOS! :)

Liverpool to rape the first 20 minutes, Newcastle to get back into it only for them to score. Scrappy middle third of the game, wonder goal from someone makes it 2-0. Newcastle hit the bar but no comeback arrives. Decent performance overall.

Guest The German

Liverpool to rape the first 20 minutes, Newcastle to get back into it only for them to score. Scrappy middle third of the game, wonder goal from someone makes it 2-0. Newcastle hit the bar but no comeback arrives. Decent performance overall.

If that is right you've got my vote for president!!!

Newcastle going to make a late christmas present for Chelsea with a win through three Andy Carroll goals  :thup:

If that is right you've got my vote for president!!!

Newcastle going to make a late christmas present for Chelsea with a win through three Andy Carroll goals  :thup:

I forgot to add that the media will penetrate Liverpool afterwards, praising it to be a "professional performance", "the stuff of champions", when in truth the 1st goal was most likely a deflection of some sort, and the game was overall not one-sided.

Given

Geremi    Taylor    Colo    N'Zogbia

Jonas    Butt    Guthrie  Duff

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

N'Zogbia shouldn't be playing anywhere other than left wing and Duff shouldn't be anywhere other than the scrapheap.

Given

Jonas    Butt    Guthrie   Duff

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

N'Zogbia shouldn't be playing anywhere other than left wing and Duff shouldn't be anywhere other than the scrapheap.

Given

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

You're right...but we don't really have many other options. Edgar just isn't good enough.

Given

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

You're right...but we don't really have many other options. Edgar just isn't good enough.

Duff's worse at what he does. N'Zogbia is our only real threat and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet in that position.

Guest The German

Has Edgar played many reserve games? Is he doing well?

I'm not sure how he's playing for the reserves but he came on today for Owen when we had another forward on the bench.

He's the reserves captain tbh...

Given

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

Duff's worse at what he does. N'Zogbia is our only real threat and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet in that position.

with gutierrez being the first name in that position.

Given

Owen    Xisco

would be nice

with gutierrez being the first name in that position.

Nope.

Guest rebel_yell12

Assuming Owen was hooked for tactical/non-injury reasons (far from his best match -- though not his worst either, I still remember Blackburn) and Bassong's suspension starts a week from the infraction, I'd ideally see the following on the pitch on Sunday (as a Newcastle fan):

Given

Geremi (?)        Taylor      Coloccini      Bassong     

Jonas          Guthrie          N'Zogbia

Owen

Carroll/Xisco            Martins

Might as well have a go at it.  Nothing to lose, as most expect a battering at any rate.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd ideally see the following:

Given

Edgar          Taylor          Coloccini      N'Zogbia

Jonas          Butt              Guthrie        Duff

Carroll        Owen

I expect to see more of the latter than the former, tbh. 

I hope we come out and kick them all over the place. Seems like you can get away with it so lets give it a go.

Problem is, that tactic isn't allowed against Liverpool.

Remember 3 or 4 years ago when Shearer & co kicked Arsenal off the park? I'd like a repeat of that please chaps. :nods:

Just get into them from the first whistle and twat them.