West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Rainforest

If there is a vulcano erupting or an earthquake, you  can also "choose to stay". Thats not the point. For a young lad having your current club tell you to bugger off, and having a bigger club offering to triple your salaries in the other end, every sane being would just leave rather than deal with the current regime.

I blame it on Ashley, I think for the sum of money he was offered he would ship his own granny off in a chopper.

Guest icemanblue

Forced out :lol: can't believe anyone still thinks that.

Went for the money, fuck him tbh.

What's funny about thinking that, like? Especially as the evidence to support it far outweighs any to the contrary.

Went for the money, f*** him tbh.

So you'd rather not believe him (direct quotesare available to be found)over a regime proven in court to deliberately mislead and lie to the fans and it's management?

Sup Mike

Care to find them?

Carroll, whose fee broke the record paid for a British player, said: “I’m gutted to be leaving my hometown club, I was told to go. I didn’t want to leave that’s why I signed a five-year deal [with Newcastle in October]. I was pushed out of the door.”

Sup Derek.

Went for the money, f*** him tbh.

So you'd rather not believe him (direct quotesare available to be found)over a regime proven in court to deliberately mislead and lie to the fans and it's management?

Sup Mike

Care to find them?

Is that a joke?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/01/andy-carroll-united-pushed-me-out-of-toon-72703-28092792/

I guess what happened on deadline day will always be a mystery - did he jump or was he pushed?  Other managers and journalists were saying that the Newcastle were touting him around to other clubs all through January.

I'm quite sentimental so I want to believe he was pushed because where Ashley is concerned, I cannot believe that he would have turned down £35m.  It was an incredible amount and for the club to turn round and say they only sold him because he put in a transfer request sounds quite laughable to me with the fee involved.  If they had sold him for £15m that would be more plausible but not for £35m.  Every "expert" who has spoken about the transfer has said they would not have turned down that amount of money - even Keegan so why do we assume that Ashley would have done so.

At present, we seem to have been the losers in the deal (maybe not the bank account) because of the dissatisfaction it created within the squad which has left to the departures of other players, because the money has not been re-invested in the squad as envisaged and because of the negativity and disillusionment within the support which has increased hugely in recent months.

Guest Rainforest

I dont blame us for taking 35 million, its a mental amount of money for  - what was it - half a season in the PL. In my opinion its the lack of re-investing those money that has discussion like this surfacing again.

That being said, he was the biggest thing that has happend to us since Shearer. 20 years old, Geordie top to bottom, from our own academy, loves the town, loves the #9 shirt.

Its the biggest disappointment in my 15 years as a supporter, even bigger than when we went down. He was our fucking beacon for the next 10-15 years forward.

While I agree Andy Carrolls time at Liverpool, so far, hasn't been the greatest but some of the things said in here are ridiculous. 

Let's take the 'none smiley/laughing' thing.  One of the things that impresses me about his demeanour is the fact that he's always got a smile on his face, take a look at the Liverpool training pics, the lad always looks happy, always laughing and joking with the other players.

Can't comment about whether he's settling in here because I've heard nothing, and usually the local journos will hint at things like that on twitter etc...

As for Capello and the drinking comments, most of the quotes were taken from an interview he did earlier in the year, although he was asked about it at the current International pc's. If Carroll was drinking a lot, as you know,you can guarantee it would be splashed all over the front and back pages.

On the pitch Carroll still has a lot to prove, he tries too hard imo, but I think once he scores a few goals in successive matches he'll be ok.  If not then who knows what will happen,  going back to Newcastle, in it's present form, would show a lack of ambition imo and that's no good to Liverpool.

Guest Rainforest

Its the boards willingness to ship off our flagship player when he obviously wanted to stay, that disgusts me. Ill go as far as saying if we didnt sell Carroll, Enrique would still be here. a Bold statement, I know.

Guest Rainforest

,  going back to Newcastle, in it's present form, would show a lack of ambition imo and that's no good to Liverpool.

Dont know if i agree with that tbh. The ambition is already displayed by buying him for such an outrageous sum. I concur that shipping him back would be somewhat of a defeat, but not lack of ambition. If ur not good enough ur not good enough.

I think the purchase was a statement as much as a genuine interest in Carroll, more of a return to former glory in terms of what they were aiming at. League title.

Its the boards willingness to ship off our flagship player when he obviously wanted to stay, that disgusts me. Ill go as far as saying if we didnt sell Carroll, Enrique would still be here. a Bold statement, I know.

fwiw i think you're right.

Andy Carroll was never as good as everyone otside Newcastle started to imagine he was.

However he was brilliant for Newcastle and Newcastle brilliant for him. He had absolutely no pressure on him at Newcastle and genuinely had the desire to give his all out on the pitch for his hometown club in the number 9 shirt. He came through the academy, and as long as he worked hard no one was going to criticise him, and he would always be appreciated. It was a perfect scenario, and he would have got a lot of confidence from it all. He would have thrived and continued to get better in such a situation.

Joining Liverpool as a £35 million player is a whole different ball game, and it has started to get ugly quickly. The Liverpool fans don't care about him outside of what he produces on the pitch, and playing alongside the likes of Suarez you would really have to do some special things to look the part. He had a slow start when he first joined, and that was the worst thing that could have happened. He really had to hit the ground running to really have a chance to win people over early on, and then settle down into the team.

Think he's in big trouble tbh. It will take a lot to turn things around now, as they do look miles better without him in the team. Funny thing is I don't necessarily think this is his fault, it's just that the team flows better with more mobile players who have good movement, as Dirk and Suarez upfront seem to gel far better with Downing, Adam and even Henderson.

As far as getting him back goes. It might be that by the time we have the opportuity to, he has been so badly damaged by the move that it might not even be worth it. The momentum he was on at the start of last season would have stalled for too long, and his confidence and self belief would be rock bottom.

,  going back to Newcastle, in it's present form, would show a lack of ambition imo and that's no good to Liverpool.

Dont know if i agree with that tbh. The ambition is already displayed by buying him for such an outrageous sum. I concur that shipping him back would be somewhat of a defeat, but not lack of ambition. If ur not good enough ur not good enough.

I think the purchase was a statement as much as a genuine interest in Carroll, more of a return to former glory in terms of what they were aiming at. League title.

I would still say it would be a sign of lack of ambition from Carroll.

I agree about the purchase being a statement, but not in the form you see it.  FSG were desperate to obliterate the Hicks and Gillett years,  and knew if they sold Torress and only brought in Suarez that would look like they were selling star players for a profit to themselves.  They had to spend the 50 million in that window, and because it was so late, were left with few choices.  Carroll had been on the radar anyway (fits the FSG criteria), much as he was with other clubs also, but I think they would have waited till summer to try and get him at a lower fee if they hadn't had their hand forced by Torres.

If, as many are predicting, things don't work out at Liverpool, what would you take him back for? 10 million, 20 million?

At the time i was utterly gutted to see him leave, and obviously its ludicrous that we haven't gotten a replacement striker, but im not sure what value i would place on him when comparing him to the host of other strikers out there.

If, as many are predicting, things don't work out at Liverpool, what would you take him back for? 10 million, 20 million?

At the time i was utterly gutted to see him leave, and obviously its ludicrous that we haven't gotten a replacement striker, but im not sure what value i would place on him when comparing him to the host of other strikers out there.

I think it will be a few years yet before they think of getting rid.  He's young, hasn't even had a full season yet, he'll be given time.

I think it will be a few years yet before they think of getting rid.  He's young, hasn't even had a full season yet, he'll be given time.

Like Hodgson?  :troll: