West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

0. Club is happy to keep Carroll; Carroll is happy to stay.

1. £30m bid comes in from Liverpool.

2. £30m bid considered but rejected.

3. Carroll's agent starts talking to Liverpool regarding potential wages etc.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

8. NUFC seriously consider it.

9. Carroll sees this as confirmation they want to sell him, so asks to leave.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

Shit man, if you'd just written that yesterday you could have saved us a whole lot of typing and cursing.

Pretty much end of......

Almeida 1.75 million? Jesus christ thats f***ing ridiculous :lol:

he was out of contract in the summer hence the low price tag.....good bit of business by Besiktas though. They have Simao, Quaresma, Fernandes there too now.

Ah right, still puts things into perspective as to what we could get if we invest the 35+ million wisely (although the chance of Ashley spending the full 35 million and pretty slim)

If rumours about the severity of his injury are accurate, we'd have been without him regardless of what happened in the transfer window. Still find it odd we didn't try to get someone in on loan to cover that.

Precisely. All this bollocks from Pardew about 'not having time' to replace him. We needed another striker before Carroll's injury anyway. Baffling really.

As I said in another thread, I'm not fan of N'Gog but I personally would have asked for him on loan for rest of season if AC was moving there. I think he probably could have done a job for us.

Are you kidding me? Say Barton signed a new contract a month ago aproximately, and a club like Man City came in and bid $20 million for him, that would justify him coming knocking for a new and improved contract. It doesnt mean s*** if they are suddenly valued higher. You just signed a new contract, now honour the thing.

Depends how much extra they were willing to offer him. Man city are slightly different anyway as you have to accept you cant really compete with their ludicrous valuation of what anythings worth.

But if Barton were playing well enough to be valued at 20 million by several clubs. Then you'd expect his wage to come close to matching a player of that standard & if it didnt itd be quite normal for him to try and manipulate the situation to alter it yes.

Problem there is, player valuation isn't only judged on player performance. Im sure the fact that Carroll is young, english and integral to Newcastle added a significant amount onto the 35 million 'valuation' of him by Liverpool. Therefore, i dont think that in the circumstances Carroll had a right to put pressure on the club to raise his wages dramatically just TWO months after he AGREED a new deal.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If rumours about the severity of his injury are accurate, we'd have been without him regardless of what happened in the transfer window. Still find it odd we didn't try to get someone in on loan to cover that.

This is exactly what I cannot fathom.

Yeah, I'd question their 'management' of that situation, though I suppose we don't know how much of a loan fee people were asking for.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

Not enough outrageous claims and hatred in that sound and level take of events, Dave. Seems to be the most 'accurate' based on the story from both sides.

He wanted to be our best paid player?

Probably, yes. Unsurprisingly so.

Sorry, but he wasn't our best player. I consider Tiote much more important, Coloccini and Enrique too. Without Tiote we play Alan Smith, without Enrique we play no one, and without Coloccini we have to clueless brits in the centrehalf.

I said it earlier.

But say tottenham were offered 35m for VDV instead at that point in the window. Do you think theyd have sold him?

Heck, Yes they would.  See Spurs/Berbatov!

Harry/Spurs are the ultimate wheeler/dealer  buy low/sell high club that turn their assets over to the betterment of the club.

Disagree. Spurs current team is worth around £200m in transfermoney spend alone. Not much wheeler-dealer in that...

Bentley around £17m

Bent 16,5m

Keane 16m

Defoe 15m

Pavlyuchenko 14m

Palacios 12m

Hutton 9m

Gio 8,6m

Just to name a few of from the current team..

They are spending like crazy. Don't know where the f*** they get all that money.

He really isn't a £35 million player though.

This. Jayson's whole argument is based on 'well, Liverpool were stupid enough to pay that much'. So that means we should keep up? I'm glad you don't run our club, as you'd be a step above Shepherd in throwing money at problems and people.

How much do we need to spend in the summer to make this a good deal?

If we hadnt sold him I would have hoped for £5-10m spent in January and £15m or so in the summer.

Considering we only bought Ben Arfa and therefore made £30m in January that means I would be looking for £40m plus spent in the summer but I highly doubt that will happen.

We need to and we will spend in the summer, but lets not get lost in figures it's the quality of the players that will count, not just their fees and therefore good scouting will be just as important as having loads of money to spend.

Not 2 Months after signing a new one.

Because ?

He wasnt being valued at 35m two months ago

Are you kidding me? Say Barton signed a new contract a month ago aproximately, and a club like Man City came in and bid $20 million for him, that would justify him coming knocking for a new and improved contract. It doesnt mean s*** if they are suddenly valued higher. You just signed a new contract, now honour the thing.

No. Because Carroll is an 'exceptional' case. There'd be no precedent set by giving in to Carroll's demands or anything, like. :rolleyes:

The precedent set would be that we alter a players wages based on his valuation. If his valuation rockets ridiculously, then we alter his wages to match that of a player of that worth as we want to keep him.

It makes complete sense. As was pointed out, Tottenham did this with Bale just recently after his performances in the champs league.

what about when the valuation drops ? or should we always pay players according to their maximum market valuation ?

Well thats where you could debate the decision made & whether you should or shouldnt give him the pay increase. Some would be worth it & maybe others wouldnt. Be down to what you thought of their potential to keep it up or improve wouldnt it? I think everyone reckons Carroll has a bright future

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

point 9.....if he saw it as confirmation they want to sell him, why put in a transfer request ?...if the transfer is likely to happen anyway.

Seems like everyone has forgotten the Jose Enriques, Tiotes and Ben Arfas of football. Football players who are cheap compared to their talent.

Tiote for £3,5million is a steal.

Enrique  for £6million when he was a big talent is a steal.

Ben Arfa for £5 million is a steal even if you considered all the problems he has caused, he's the most talented player at the club.

Not 2 Months after signing a new one.

Because ?

He wasnt being valued at 35m two months ago

No. Because Carroll is an 'exceptional' case. There'd be no precedent set by giving in to Carroll's demands or anything, like. :rolleyes:

The precedent set would be that we alter a players wages based on his valuation. If his valuation rockets ridiculously, then we alter his wages to match that of a player of that worth as we want to keep him.

It makes complete sense. As was pointed out, Tottenham did this with Bale just recently after his performances in the champs league.

what about when the valuation drops ? or should we always pay players according to their maximum market valuation ?

Well thats where you could debate the decision made & whether you should or shouldnt give him the pay increase. Some would be worth it & maybe others wouldnt. Be down to what you thought of their potential to keep it up or improve wouldnt it? I think everyone reckons Carroll has a bright future

that chamberlain kid at southampton. i wonder how many pay rises he's had in the last 6 months. your system wou;ld have him given a pay rise every time the sunday papers come out.

He really isn't a £35 million player though.

This. Jayson's whole argument is based on 'well, Liverpool were stupid enough to pay that much'. So that means we should keep up? I'm glad you don't run our club, as you'd be a step above Shepherd in throwing money at problems and people.

Two seperate clubs offer near 30 mill for the same lad. The best managers in the league have praised him & his potential.

My argument is that we should have negotiated his wage. That if that meant other players would then come knocking if their price went up ridiculously, that we would then have to look at that situation seperately and decide whether they were worth it. If they were, id expect us to negotiate their wage also

Seems like everyone has forgotten the Jose Enriques, Tiotes and Ben Arfas of football. Football players who are cheap compared to their talent.

Ben Arfa for £5 million is a steal even if you considered all the problems he has caused, he's the most talented player at the club.

Carroll for £0million was a steal.

Carroll was going to be getting increased wage in time. Could easily have waited until the Summer if that was his primary motivation.

This is Sep 2008 all over again. No winners, we're just left with tarnished legacies and on the wrong side of varying degrees of cuntish behaviour.

Guest johnson293

How much do we need to spend in the summer to make this a good deal?

If we hadnt sold him I would have hoped for £5-10m spent in January and £15m or so in the summer.

Considering we only bought Ben Arfa and therefore made £30m in January that means I would be looking for £40m plus spent in the summer but I highly doubt that will happen.

We need to and we will spend in the summer, but lets not get lost in figures it's the quality of the players that will count, not just their fees and therefore good scouting will be just as important as having loads of money to spend.

Exactly - I'd rather have 4 or 5 signing of the cost of Tiote and Ben Arfa if they are of similar quality, than 2 or 3 at a cost of Owen, Martins or Luque!

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

point 9.....if he saw it as confirmation they want to sell him, why put in a transfer request ?...if the transfer is likely to happen anyway.

Point 5? I meant it more in terms of not wanting him rather than confirmation they were going to sell. We can't discount the fact that he's still a local. That feeling of rejection (rightly or wrongly) must have been pretty bad.

It was especially when we sold him for £36million  :smug:

But he still brought us shame, which the other ones havn't yet  :pow:

Selling Carroll for £35 million was robbery.

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

"I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that. He told me that they are now not going to give me a contract. That was as soon as the offer of £30m came in."

So somewhere between 0 and 1 they were talking about a new contract.

so as we were saying he put in the request because the club wouldn't make him the top earner 2 months (6 or so games) after agreeing a contract.