West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

so the club were gonna renew his contract in the summer anyway? but he wanted it now

They were gonna "have a look at the situation". Rubbish.

thats not the words pardew used at all. his exact words were "a contract we said we would renew in the summer"

so the club were gonna renew his contract in the summer anyway? but he wanted it now

He already got a pay rise. Three months later, one of which he was missing completely for, to be asking for another rise is nothing short of pure greed.

Guest neesy111

They give him a new contract in November, no one forced the club to do that.

Guest neesy111

He already got a pay rise. Three months later, one of which he was missing completely for, to be asking for another rise is nothing short of pure greed.

My viewpoint in all of this.

Tottenham just recently gave Bale a pay increase only 6 months after agreeing a 4 year contract, due to his performances in the champions league. This is without any bids even coming in for him or offers being put on the table.

Yet for Carroll to think we might want to negotiate his contract, following him scoring or assisting in 10 of the 11 games he played since signing it & two bids upwards of 25m coming in + a huge pay increase etc means hes greedy/disloyal etc?

Considering the investment in training him up from a kid?

Considering sticking by him when he got into trouble?

Considering he got the No.9 shirt?

Considering he is injured?

Considering we arent in the Champs league and only just got promited?

Yes, that is greedy

1  Cristiano Ronaldo  Manchester United  Real Madrid £80 €93.5[4] 2009 £80m

2  Zlatan Ibrahimović[5]  Internazionale  Barcelona £56.5 €66[6][7] 2009 £57m

3  Kaká  Milan  Real Madrid £56 €64 2009 £56m

4  Fernando Torres  Liverpool  Chelsea £50[8] €58 2011 £50m

5  Zinedine Zidane  Juventus  Real Madrid £45 €75[9][10] 2001 £55m

6  Luís Figo  Barcelona  Real Madrid £37[11] €58.5 2000 £46m

7  Hernán Crespo[12]  Parma  Lazio £35.5[13] €55 2000 £45m

8  Andy Carroll  Newcastle United  Liverpool £35[14] €40 2011 £35m

9  David Villa  Valencia  Barcelona £34.2[15] €40 2010 £34m

10  Gianluigi Buffon[16]  Parma  Juventus £32.6[17] €49.2 2001 £40m

11  Robinho  Real Madrid  Manchester City £32.5[18] €49 2008 £32m

12  Christian Vieri  Lazio  Internazionale £32[19] €48.3 1999 £41m

13  Andriy Shevchenko  Milan  Chelsea £30.8 €46.4 2006 £33m

14  Dimitar Berbatov  Tottenham Hotspur  Manchester United £30.75 €46.4 2008 £31m

Just a bit of perspective in case anyones missed it.

It's clear Ashley wanted: the money from the transfer > Andy Carroll.

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

f***ing sick to death of people saying things like this like.

He was earning a very good wage, and would have earned at least that for the next 5 1/2 years, playing for his boyhood club, wearing the 'famous' number 9 shirt that he dreamt about wearing, playing in front of 50,000 adoring fans every home game.

For a geordie lad, that surely has to be worth more than a bigger pay packet somewhere else. He wasn't earning a f***ing pittance here for christ sake.

Whether it was him, his agent or Ashley and Llambias it was all done out of f***ing greed, not for footballing reasons.

If £40k is a very good wage to make him stay then surely £40k more is a very good wage to make him want to leave?!

(Assuming the figures quoted are correct)

To make him stay at his boyhood club, his hometown city, yes.

To make him leave for a club arguably as f***ed up as we are, no.

£40k a week he was earning? At the club of his dreams. FORTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK. Short career or not, that's a f***ing gigantic sum of money, and surely he was doing his absolute dream job too?

If his motivation to leave us was for more money at Liverpool rather than 10 years wearing the #9 for us, well f*** him.

What if his motivation was to move to a club in a better position to win silverware?!

Then his "I wanted to stay with by boyhood club boo hoo blah blah blah" speech was still a load of fucking bollocks :lol:

Carroll for me, has shown that his main aim is about how much is in his back pocket and not about playing for NUFC which should be number 1 especially for a local lad.  He deserves shooting as well for listening to his agent as well.

I'm no under illusions anymore regarding football. Pretty damn sure our local lads would poof off somewhere else if we couldn't pay them 6m a year like we do.

Agree with you 100% after all of this.  I shall never trust what a player spouts through their gob ever again.

Same, actually I'm quite a lot less interested in football after this.

I agree, regardless of who said or did what and how many smug media journos pontificate on the ins and outs of it there is only one group of people who are truly hurt and thats the fans - and who could blame us for losing heart - but they inevitably would do

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

So was Carroll bigger than club then?

And if they had given in to Carroll it is tantamount to giving every player in the squad an invitation to rush in and demand to renegotiate their contract.

Just for the young players that establish themselves as key players for the team and a top player in the division.

Could Ashly have done everything to keep Carrol? Yes. He could have paid him 200k a week, purchased him 15 houses in the bahamas, and a years supply of strippers, but that isnt the point is it?

Its a management nightmare if you give in. Carrol isnt that special that he can demand an increase after a few months. Holy crap that is so presumptous. He had ample time to negotiate a 5 year contract.

It's all about priorities, most Newcastle fans would say Carroll was worth more than 30,000 a week (in a footballing context, yes I know it is astronomical for most people) and most football fans in general would probably think that was quite a low basic wage for an England international with bags of potential.

I'm sure Carroll would rather play for Newcastle than Liverpool and if Liverpool were offering 80,000 would he have accepted 60,000-70,000 at NUFC? Yes he was happy to sign a contract a few months ago but things change. Looks like he was using other club's interest to leverage a new deal.

Would Ben Arfa, Nolan and Barton be knocking on Fat Ash's door demanding to upgrade their own deals? Possibly, we then need to work out who is worth the money and who is not. Those who we deem not worth the added investment can look elsewhere if a club is willing to pay them.

I'll say one thing though, I know Carroll was worth the investment to this club but Fat Ash was not interested and we have now lost a real gem.

Exactly, feel the same.

14  Dimitar Berbatov  Tottenham Hotspur  Manchester United £30.75 €46.4 2008 £31m

That does make it clear. Unproven kid with an offer more than Villa and co? sheeesh. I would probably bite off that hand that offered 35mill. Sucks. But True.

Tottenham just recently gave Bale a pay increase only 6 months after agreeing a 4 year contract, due to his performances in the champions league. This is without any bids even coming in for him or offers being put on the table.

Yet for Carroll to think we might want to negotiate his contract, following him scoring or assisting in 10 of the 11 games he played since signing it & two bids upwards of 25m coming in + a huge pay increase etc means hes greedy/disloyal etc?

Yes, that is greedy

To a point yeah, hes no Angel & definately used the situation for his own benefit. Might have been worth meeting him half way still though.

As far as I'm concerned that dick Carroll can go and stay a scouse forever.

The night is always darkest before the dawn and trust me we're in the darkest part of the night at this current time. But there is hope, I do believe that we may get a new owner and even if we don't we have one of the best midfields in the league, we will stay up after all ranger I feel will develop into a proper geordie soon just needs to practise his shooting. So please people don't say your never gonna follow NUFC again because you will come back when we get through these rough years.

Also I'm looking forward to next year when inevitably Andy Carroll underperforms without Barton and Nolan to hold his hand while he gives away every ball with his crap first touch. I hope we murder Liverpool when we face them, absolutley kill them.

So hold on there's still hope. It may just seem like thee isn't at the moment

:tiote: In tiote I trust.

Guest johnson293

Yes, that is greedy

To a point yeah, hes no Angel & definately used the situation for his own benefit. Might have been worth meeting him half way still though.

But why shouldn't Carroll wait until the summer then, and prove he can do it for a full season in the top flight before getting an increase? Its only another 6 months, and if we believe what was said, Torres wouldn't have been allowed to leave Liverpool yesterday if Carroll hadn't joined.

So wait till the summer, and if the pay rise isn't what he wanted, then Liverpool would sign him then, if they rated him that highly!

Seems loads of people think the club should have jumped through hoops to give a pay rise to a player who's had 6 decent months, but not that the player should have been prepared to wait until the summer, as the club asked him to. they didn't say they wouldn't review his contract, just not right now.

Said it before - the money was clearly more important to AC.

So was Carroll bigger than club then?

And if they had given in to Carroll it is tantamount to giving every player in the squad an invitation to rush in and demand to renegotiate their contract.

Just for the young players that establish themselves as key players for the team and a top player in the division.

Could Ashly have done everything to keep Carrol? Yes. He could have paid him 200k a week, purchased him 15 houses in the bahamas, and a years supply of strippers, but that isnt the point is it?

Its a management nightmare if you give in. Carrol isnt that special that he can demand an increase after a few months. Holy crap that is so presumptous. He had ample time to negotiate a 5 year contract.

It's all about priorities, most Newcastle fans would say Carroll was worth more than 30,000 a week (in a footballing context, yes I know it is astronomical for most people) and most football fans in general would probably think that was quite a low basic wage for an England international with bags of potential.

I'm sure Carroll would rather play for Newcastle than Liverpool and if Liverpool were offering 80,000 would he have accepted 60,000-70,000 at NUFC? Yes he was happy to sign a contract a few months ago but things change. Looks like he was using other club's interest to leverage a new deal.

Would Ben Arfa, Nolan and Barton be knocking on Fat Ash's door demanding to upgrade their own deals? Possibly, we then need to work out who is worth the money and who is not. Those who we deem not worth the added investment can look elsewhere if a club is willing to pay them.

I'll say one thing though, I know Carroll was worth the investment to this club but Fat Ash was not interested and we have now lost a real gem.

Exactly, feel the same.

Yep, same here.

That does make it clear. Unproven kid with an offer more than Villa and co? sheeesh. I would probably bite off that hand that offered 35mill. Sucks. But True.

Absolutely right. Take away the sentiment (very hard to do so, I know) but in the end, this is what it's all about. Did Man Yoo really want to sell Ronaldo (forgetting for a moment his wish to leave)? Did Milan really want to sell Kaka?

The fact of the matter is, if someone comes in with an offer too good to refuse it would be foolhardy for it not to even be considered. I'm no Ashley apologist, I'm really not, but quite simply we're not in a financial position to be able to turn down an offer like the one received for Carroll. 

But having let the dust settle a bit, £35mil is a good deal. One hopes that this will allow greater flexibility in the summer when it comes to bringing in new faces. That remains to be seen.

The only thing that was making me even the slightest bit inclined to side with Carroll on this was the fact we'd given him a flat out 'no' to a new contract. Now that it's come out we offered to renegotiate it at the end of the season (about 8 months into a 5 and a half year deal - which in my opinion is very reasonable) then I have no sympathy for Carroll at all and wish him abject failure for the bin dippers.

I have to say, Carroll still tugs some sympathy from me simply because he's a young lad jumping out one frying pan into another massive and alien frying pan and I can't help but feel that this whole thing must be totally overwhelming for him.

He looked shell shocked at his medical.

/This feeling will probably last just about up until he cracks in his first goal for the bin dipping c**ts.

I have to say, Carroll still tugs some sympathy from me simply because he's a young lad jumping out one frying pan into another massive and alien frying pan and I can't help but feel that this whole thing must be totally overwhelming for him.

He looked shell shocked at his medical.

Bet he had alot of doubts and his mind would have been fucked during the whole thing.  I wonder how he'll fair off the pitch and also on it without the support of our group Nolan, Barton etc.  I can see him going off the rails tbh.

But why shouldn't Carroll wait until the summer then, and prove he can do it for a full season in the top flight before getting an increase? Its only another 6 months, and if we believe what was said, Torres wouldn't have been allowed to leave Liverpool yesterday if Carroll hadn't joined.

So wait till the summer, and if the pay rise isn't what he wanted, then Liverpool would sign him then, if they rated him that highly!

Seems loads of people think the club should have jumped through hoops to give a pay rise to a player who's had 6 decent months, but not that the player should have been prepared to wait until the summer, as the club asked him to. they didn't say they wouldn't review his contract, just not right now.

Said it before - the money was clearly more important to AC.

Ofcourse it was important to him, big offer was on the table and he got swayed by it. Potentially the same offer wouldnt be on the table in the summer at newc or elsewhere, maybe his form wouldnt have held up as well. His injury etc This was a good chance for him. I just think he was worth it & that the club should have seen that. Liverpool did.