West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One good game in six since he left.

His goals apart I thought he was quite average against Man City myself and today he was woeful. I'm probably like a broken record I know but I truly believe as a footballer he is really average and although he will cause a side problems with his height and strength a smart defender or tactics would easily nulify him in my opinion.

a lot of goalscorers would be classed like that.

Not £35m ones

shearer wouldn't have got a game for us in midfiled and that was a world record fee.

You've lost me there.

he was the equivlient of the current 35mill striker and never seemed to be a brilliant footballer, just very effective at scoring goals and leading the line. like carroll.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

and carrolls better in the air. carroll is also better on the deck than he's given credit for.

His goals apart I thought he was quite average against Man City myself and today he was woeful. I'm probably like a broken record I know but I truly believe as a footballer he is really average and although he will cause a side problems with his height and strength a smart defender or tactics would easily nulify him in my opinion.

Not £35m ones

shearer wouldn't have got a game for us in midfiled and that was a world record fee.

You've lost me there.

he was the equivlient of the current 35mill striker and never seemed to be a brilliant footballer, just very effective at scoring goals and leading the line. like carroll.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

and carrolls better in the air. carroll is also better on the deck than he's given credit for.

Better than he is given credit for? Maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

Not £35m ones

You've lost me there.

Shearer was a much, much better footballer than Carroll will ever be.

not so sure, shearer was certainly much better at being a striker but all round footballer, i'm not so sure and remember carroll still has some years in him.

Really? I'm sorry but Shearer was better in almost every single aspect. This is no dig at Carroll because he's gone, it's just the way I see it.

carroll and suarez still haven't clicked imo. neither can get in behind a side or stretch a defence, so they look pretty poor on the counter attack. they'll need some pace down the flanks to remedy that, but their midfielders - gerrard, meireles, kuyt, lucas, just aren't suited to a midfield four with 2 traditional wingers. alternatively they can bring in a pacy right-sided attacker and play a 4-3-3 but then that negates their ability to hit crosses in to carroll.

another problem is that they both like to drift off to the left, so either they get in each other's way or one has to switch to the other flank.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yep, sad to see him go, but for £35m it's more than a fair price.

It is an amazing price. That said, despite the fact I don't quite rate the lad, I wouldn't have sold him not even for that ammount. He'll do well for Liverpool though, but not Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen or Torres before he went off the boil well but more akin to Kuyt well.

Not £35m ones

You've lost me there.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

Better than he is given credit for, maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to. neither are fantastic footballers, shearer was on his own as a goalscorer but then he was the most expensive player in the world, carroll isn't.

Not £35m ones

You've lost me there.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

Better than he is given credit for, maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to. neither are fantastic footballers, shearer was on his own as a goalscorer but then he was the most expensive player in the world, carroll isn't.

Go past a man with the ball more often than Shearer?  I couldn't disagree more, not sure where you're getting that from.

Not £35m ones

You've lost me there.

Better than he is given credit for, maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

Go past a man with the ball more often than Shearer?  I couldn't disagree more, not sure where you're getting that from.

years of watching.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to.

I wouldn't say that's true if you take Shearer when he was Carroll's age. He used to just run at and past people very often.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to.

When Shearer was Carroll's age he used to just run at people a lot more.

When Shearer was older he still did it more than Carroll does now.

When Shearer was Carroll's age he used to just run at and past people a lot more.

he did for a few months after first signing for blackburn, really stopped doing it by the end of that season.

When Shearer was Carroll's age he used to just run at and past people a lot more.

Exactly.

I normally agree with what madras posts on here but I couldn't disagree with him more here. Shearer was genuinely world class and had far more in his locker than Carroll does.

he did for a few months after first signing for blackburn, really stopped doing it by the end of that season.

When has Carroll ever done it man?  Shearer still did it in his first few years with us.  I've hardly ever seen Carroll beat a man.

thats some memory.

it's the same memory that says when he first signed for us he scored goals but rarely played well. the man utd game being very much an exception of his early form for us.

Bit harsh. Would say that pace and reactions were a still a big part of his game until the 97 injury. That's what really seemed to bring an end to it being a source of added value for him.

Shearer had better heading technique, was superior on the floor, could take a mean set piece and strike a ball from distance, had better goalscoring instincts, had more intelligent movement, was lethal infront of goal and in his earlier days was a brilliant creative player.

Their are similarities between the two in terms of they can both rough up defenders but Shearer was simply streets ahead in every area.

When has Carroll ever done it man?  Shearer still did it in his first few years with us.  I've hardly ever seen Carroll beat a man.

the thing that most surprised me about carroll this season was when he got the ball close and on the deck he'd normally get past his man then lay it off. it's when it was put in the air it fucked up as he'd win it but didn't have a clue where it was going.

the thing that most surprised me about carroll this season was when he got the ball close and on the deck he'd normally get past his man then lay it off. it's when it was put in the air it f***ed up as he'd win it but didn't have a clue where it was going.

That one with the long hair is Gutierrez.

Shearer had better heading technique, was superior on the floor, could take a mean set piece and strike a ball from distance, had better goalscoring instincts, had more intelligent movement, was lethal infront of goal and in his earlier days was a brilliant creative player.

Their are similarities between the two in terms of they can both rough up defenders but Shearer was simply streets ahead in every area.

:thup:

Considering he had TWO career threatening injuries and was still able to score the amount of goals he did is phenomenal.

If you add those 2 seasons to his goal tally you'd be looking at a minimum of 40 goals extra and probably another 20 for the way his game was forcefully changed. If you don't think his comeback's were astonishing look at Owen after 2006...

check how many headers shearer scored from open play, not nearly as many as you'd think.

yes shearer was better than carroll, but neither are fantastic footballers, thats the point. they are just very good at that aspect of the game.

check how many headers shearer scored from open play, not nearly as many as you'd think.

yes shearer was better than carroll, but neither are fantastic footballers, thats the point. they are just very good at that aspect of the game.

YOu might be on your own with this particular brand of pickle maddass.