West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

you're all mental. he's certainly not s**** and we'd definitely be a better team with him playing.

I think he's a fantastic talent, but not sure if I agree about us being a better team with him. I'd like to think we've evolved (or begun to evolve) away from a team which is built around him.

howay mate, i admire your aspirations towards carpet football but we're a team that starts Peter Lovenkrands up front for f***s sake. there's no way on earth that's better than playing Carroll, we wouldnt have to build our team around him at all, it's fairly simple to set the team up to play the same but nick it in to Carroll if there's nowt else on. As a player who's great in the air and taking it on his chest, as well as tidy on the floor and good at bringing others into the game he'd improve us massively.

Peter f***ing Lovenkrands ffs.

Of course anyone would take Carroll ahead of what we've got but if we were really going to go back in for him I would rather spend that money on a different kind of striker instead.

that's not the point that was being discussed

But if we were in a position where we could offer £10m for Carroll then we would also be in a position where we can offer that same £10m for someone else, no?

He had his chance here and blew it when he buggered off to the bindippers, bringing him back would not be a good move for any party involved IMO. We need to look to the future, work on playing the kind of football a team with players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa should and bring in a forward who will suit that style of play.

Carroll is slow and his touch is very hit and miss, but I would still have him back here mind.  We're hardly spoilt for choice up front!

His touch is a mental thing I think, he does have a "hoofy" style but it can be very good when he is in form. He might look slow, but he is anything but Imo.

Once he gets a head of steam up, he goes like a train.  In the 5-1 mauling of the mackems he looked quick when he got Titus sent off and went on a really good run early on, class tackle from Bardsley to stop him I think.

However, when he needs to manouvere in tight areas or change his pace, burst for 5 yards etc he just looks clumsy and sluggish.  Very slow off the mark IMO, if he was a horse, he'd be more suite to big galloping tracks TBH, no tactical speed  :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Someone said it on here not long after he moved, that Carroll and Liverpool were 'an uneasy fit' and he'd be back here one day. I completely agree, it's one of those transfers that completely knacks the momentum of a player. Similar to Benjani who banged in about 10 for Pompey by January and then made a pointless move to Man City where he got about 4 goals in 3 years. He was settled here, and should have dug his heels in and stayed.

That's true, but it's a tough call. Without the sale of Carroll it's not sure that we could have afforded Cabaye, Maveraux or BA. In reality we got three potentially very good players for the price of one potentially very good player.   Besides, we need a different kind of attacker than Carroll:fast, poacher and who's capable of beating the offside trap.

Like Lovenkrands? :pow:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Carroll is slow and his touch is very hit and miss, but I would still have him back here mind.  We're hardly spoilt for choice up front!

He wasn't particularly slow with us last year, mind.

Guest Rainforest

Rainforest : Regarding the first point, that is pure speculation of course..But we never know..People should be aware the huge sign on fees and agent fees involved.

Regardig the second point: The whole point of football is to put assemble players that fit together. Players that on paper look great can be s*** if they're used on the same team, because they're almost identical in their style of play (eg Gerrard and Lampard on the national team). Ba and Carroll like to participate in the build up play, they're not the kind of players that beat the offside trap. An effective attack (if 4-4-2 is used) is based on two players with OPPOSITE movements. One runs towards the ball while the other runs in space. That stretches the defense. Carroll is not this type of player. So you're right, we need a Loven v10.  

I can see your line of reasoning, I just happen to disagree. Strikers in the Carroll mould can take any ball and make a chance or a goal out of it, the whole argument about strikers "  playing off eachother" is a fair one but it goes out the window the second someone of genuine quality just takes the ball for the hell of it and puts it in the back of the net. That quality will be of interest to any team regardless of how that team plays in the first place. The ability to create those " f***ing hell!" moments out of the blue. We dont have any strikers of that quality atm.

Additionally I think the traditional 4-4-2 formation is getting somewhat on anyway, loads of variations that would suit modern fotball just as well if not better.

Just my 2 cents of cource.

He wasn't particularly slow with us last year, mind.

His touch is a mental thing I think, he does have a "hoofy" style but it can be very good when he is in form. He might look slow, but he is anything but Imo.

Once he gets a head of steam up, he goes like a train.  In the 5-1 mauling of the mackems he looked quick when he got Titus sent off and went on a really good run early on, class tackle from Bardsley to stop him I think.

However, when he needs to manouvere in tight areas or change his pace, burst for 5 yards etc he just looks clumsy and sluggish.  Very slow off the mark IMO, if he was a horse, he'd be more suite to big galloping tracks TBH, no tactical speed  :lol:

Guest Rainforest

Someone already said it better than me - Once Carroll gets going, he is like a fucking train. Speed by then is largely irrelevant  :smug:

Think he's starting to regret his decision, and I'm not just saying that, especially since Liverpool don't even consider him first on the teamsheet like we did.

Sad situation that we sold him in the first place tbh :dontknow:

I'd have him back in a fucking second tbh.

I don't want him to do well at Liverpool, but I can't help but like him. Seeing him score for us was like seeing Shearer score for us, it just felt that little bit better than anyone else scoring. I'm not even a bloody geordie either!

Rainforest : Regarding the first point, that is pure speculation of course..But we never know..People should be aware the huge sign on fees and agent fees involved.

Regardig the second point: The whole point of football is to put assemble players that fit together. Players that on paper look great can be s*** if they're used on the same team, because they're almost identical in their style of play (eg Gerrard and Lampard on the national team). Ba and Carroll like to participate in the build up play, they're not the kind of players that beat the offside trap. An effective attack (if 4-4-2 is used) is based on two players with OPPOSITE movements. One runs towards the ball while the other runs in space. That stretches the defense. Carroll is not this type of player. So you're right, we need a Loven v10. 

Hey Derek, did we really try to bring in another striker in the summer?

Someone said it on here not long after he moved, that Carroll and Liverpool were 'an uneasy fit' and he'd be back here one day. I completely agree, it's one of those transfers that completely knacks the momentum of a player. Similar to Benjani who banged in about 10 for Pompey by January and then made a pointless move to Man City where he got about 4 goals in 3 years. He was settled here, and should have dug his heels in and stayed.

That's true, but it's a tough call. Without the sale of Carroll it's not sure that we could have afforded Cabaye, Maveraux or BA. In reality we got three potentially very good players for the price of one potentially very good player.   Besides, we need a different kind of attacker than Carroll:fast, poacher and who's capable of beating the offside trap.

Like Lovenkrands? :pow:

:snod:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Liverpool got rid next summer if AC failed to deliver and, tbh, his body language doesn't look good.

There could be a good deal for Ashley if he's got the balls to give some of the money back to get him.  Somehow I doubt it.

Guest Rainforest

How do you know? Im pretty confident Ashley/lambarse can make life pretty unbearable for a young lad if they want him to get the f*** out.

How would most 20-year olds react to being called in on the carpet by your boss and told to f*** off?

Forced out :lol: can't believe anyone still thinks that.

Went for the money, f*** him tbh.

So you'd rather not believe him (direct quotes are available to be found) over a regime proven in court to deliberately mislead and lie to the fans and it's management?

Sup Mike

I'd have him back in a flash.

He is still the one player I am really gutted about leaving.  I was disappointed with the others leaving as well but can understand their/our reasons for them going even if I don't entirely agree with them.

He doesn't look right at Liverpool - whether that is because he is still recovering from injury or he just hasn't settled who knows, but he certainly hasn't performed for them like he did for us.

So you'd rather not believe him (direct quotesare available to be found)over a regime proven in court to deliberately mislead and lie to the fans and it's management?

Sup Mike

Care to find them?

Just because someone thinks he went for the money(which he did) isn't a Ashley-lover. If he really wanted to stay he would. He can make his own choices.

So you'd rather not believe him (direct quotes are available to be found) over a regime proven in court to deliberately mislead and lie to the fans and it's management?

Sup Mike

I think the truth lies somewhere between. Obviously the offer was too good to refuse. But I also think Carroll was tempted by the huge salary bump offered. And this desire to increase his wealth, was probably strengthened by the fucking agent with his own agenda (greed). If Carroll had some sensible advisors who told him that he was at a point in his career where he needed stability and a lot of playing time and that he already earned good money, the whole saga may have ended differently. But we'll never know, each personed involved will probably have a tendancy to tell the story from his point view. So what comes out, will always be biased.