West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd pick Ba and Cisse. Not even an argument to be made for me. We were catapulted from nowhere by those two, they're exceptional at scoring every type of goal, link up play, everything. Can't believe anyone who watched the Premier League and NUFC last year would want to go back.

Yep. :thup:

Although having Carroll on the bench to come on and change a game would be a nice option.

Guest bimpy474

Of course he'd be a bench player, he's nowhere near as good as the two players ahead of him.

If we were to line up in a 442 due to tactical considerations (like we did vs Man U at home for example), would you prefer Ba and Cisse to Carroll and Cisse or even Carroll and Ba? I don't think I would, and even then it's assuming Ba and Cisse will be fit and available to play for every single match this upcoming season unless we get in another striker of similar quality (why else sell Best?).

Also, he's proved to be able to be a 1 in 2 striker for us over a full calender year (albeit partly in the Championship) and a half season in the Premiership. Over the course of their careers and even time with us in Ba's case, is that so much worse than Ba and Cisse's records? And that's before we even mention what else Carroll brought to the table in his time here, such as an actual threat from set pieces (Williamson flick on at the edge of the box anyone?) and the best defensive header for corners and opposition set pieces.

Not sure you have noted that Wullie is not a fan of Carroll's.

I was, and didn't want to sell him but quite apart from the fact he totally burned his bridges, we lucked out and found ourselves with two players who ultimately made us better than he ever could.

Now people want to go back. :lol:

Why don't we get Barton and Nolan back too while we're at it and give Cabaye and Ben Arfa some bench time?

This is about Carroll, stop going all Jeremy Kyle you big fat drama queen :D :p

"Go back" to having a player who's not as good. Fair enough if he's five million and accepts that his role is five minutes at the end if those two haven't already won the match, which they tend to.

If we're talking about dressing room harmony, his best mates are all gone, better players have taken his place and his shirt and if I was Tim Krul, I wouldn't be happy playing with him after what he tried.

Guest bimpy474

"Go back" to having a player who's not as good. Fair enough if he's five million and accepts that his role is five minutes at the end if those two haven't already won the match, which they tend to.

I'm with you on he isn't as good as Ba and Cisse. I'm a little worried a Ba, he doesn't have a very good track record of staying in one place.

The one thing i do think we have to have is THREE, maybe even four top strikers as we are in 4 competitions.

I'd pick Ba and Cisse. Not even an argument to be made for me. We were catapulted from nowhere by those two, they're exceptional at scoring every type of goal, link up play, everything. Can't believe anyone who watched the Premier League and NUFC last year would want to go back.

You're making it sound like we're trading the pair for Carroll if we do a deal. Going back FFS.. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

If we're talking about dressing room harmony, his best mates are all gone, better players have taken his place and his shirt and if I was Tim Krul, I wouldn't be happy playing with him after what he tried.

The dive will be forgotten, unfortunately is part of football and all the players accept it as so. Which believe me i hate more than Jabba laying in the other room eating a bowl of ferrero rocher.

The dive will be forgotten, unfortunately is part of football and all the players except as so. Which believe me i hate more than Jabba laying in the other room eating a bowl of ferrero rocher.

:lol: :lol:

We clearly need another striker but imo should be looking for someone pacey and able to operate wide in the 4-3-3 because both Ba and Cisse can play at the tip but we don't have many options either side past Ba and HBA.

We also don't have wide players or full backs who can deliver a cross.

Nothing about Carroll fits our game now IMO.

Guest bimpy474

We clearly need another striker but imo should be looking for someone pacey and able to operate wide in the 4-3-3 because both Ba and Cisse can play at the tip but we don't have many options either side past Ba and HBA.

Totally agree about a striker with pace and movement which makes me wonder why we haven't gone back in for Maiga, he can play across all three positions up top. Guess its a ANC thing.

Guest BooBoo

The dive will be forgotten, unfortunately is part of football and all the players except as so. Which believe me i hate more than Jabba laying in the other room eating a bowl of ferrero rocher.

;D

You're making it sound like we're trading the pair for Carroll if we do a deal. Going back FFS.. :lol:

So you accept that when they're both fit and available (did either have a single injury last season), he sits on the bench?

As I understand it, there's a decent chance they won't qualify for the ACON either as they play Ivory Coast, is that right? Genuine question, I've been away.

Guest bimpy474

So you accept that when they're both fit and available (did either have a single injury last season), he sits on the bench?

As I understand it, there's a decent chance they won't qualify for the ACON either as they play Ivory Coast, is that right? Genuine question, I've been away.

Aye, they play Ivory Coast in a play off.

It's easy to suggest "someone pacey and able to operate wide in the 4-3-3", it's proved a lot harder to actually come up with a name that's a major improvement over what we have and who is willing to come here. It looks like Hoilett's just turned us down for crying out loud, so I would like to challenge you: name names.

Also, you seem to have fallen face first for the "tall = needs crosses" fallacy. Thought you were better than that.

Guest BooBoo

Yup, one of the problems had been folk suggesting the pacey striker who can play wide but who? Not even those who hammer Champ Man and watch ESPN 24/7 have been able to come up with this ideal player.

If Pardew feels a starting formation of 433 is the best way to go, yeah probably. How many times has that happened last season?

Guest bimpy474

Yup, one of the problems had been folk suggesting the pacey striker who can play wide but who? Not even those who hammer Champ Man and watch ESPN 24/7 have been able to come up with this ideal player.

Scott Sinclair (not good enough for me but the type of player i mean)

It's easy to suggest "someone pacey and able to operate wide in the 4-3-3", it's proved a lot harder to actually come up with a name that's a major improvement over what we have and who is willing to come here. It looks like Hoilett's just turned us down for crying out loud, so I would like to challenge you: name names.

Also, you seem to have fallen face first for the "tall = needs crosses" fallacy. Thought you were better than that.

Of course Carroll needs crosses. I thought you were bigging him up on the basis of how he played for NUFC first time round. His aerial prowess was about £30m worth of that £35m.

So not Scott Sinclair then.. :lol:

I suggested Kevin Mirallas, actually.

If Pardew feels a starting formation of 433 is the best way to go, yeah probably. How many times has that happened last season?

You'd seriously drop Ba or Cisse for him in a 4-4-2?

All about opinions but i think that's barmy.

Guest bimpy474

So not Scott Sinclair then.. :lol:

Dont mind looking at his bird, cracking set of knockers like :D