The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Can't quite put into words how jealous i am of Villa. It centres around the concept of 'very', let's just put it that way.

They're a good team. There's no obvious weak-link from I through XI. They've got a bit of everything really, pace on the break, a target man, hardworking CM's, organised CH's, decent full-backs, very good keeper, bit of youth, bit of experience and a top manager. Owner who throws money at the boss and they play good football.

The remind me of us 6 years ago tbh. I really hope they finish top 4 this year and earn a crack at the Champions League. 

Don't think you can get done for intent to handball though, even when its that obvious.

Seven wins away from home by Christmas.

Not wanting to sound like I am crowing (I'm not, I am aware of our faults), but given some of the posts above, that is why we are where we are.

That's really excellent.

Kinda makes some of your rubbish home results look bad though.  Everton and Chelsea are the same, it's quite strange.  If you'd beaten Boro, Fulham and Liverpool, all games I watched and think you should have won, you'd be top.

It's not the right way of looking at things really - this why Man Utd are Champions fifty times over and Villa aren't. We had them games aswell, can remember losing at home to Leeds, Spurs and at Bolton. Games which we should have won. Then there ya go, nine more points - we should have won it! Doens't quite work like that unfortunately. :(

*Thinks about Bobby era :( *

I know people are questioning their squad, but the last few games they've been without their two best centre-backs (Cuellar & Laursen), their main target man (Carew), and to allow for Shorey's poor form, they've been playing a midfielder at right-back, and right-back on the left, and yet are still winning games.

I know people are questioning their squad, but the last few games they've been without their two best centre-backs (Cuellar & Laursen), their main target man (Carew), and to allow for Shorey's poor form, they've been playing a midfielder at right-back, and right-back on the left, and yet are still winning games.

Davies is far, far better than Cuellar.

Don't think you can get done for intent to handball though, even when its that obvious.

Seven wins away from home by Christmas.

Not wanting to sound like I am crowing (I'm not, I am aware of our faults), but given some of the posts above, that is why we are where we are.

That's really excellent.

Kinda makes some of your rubbish home results look bad though.  Everton and Chelsea are the same, it's quite strange.  If you'd beaten Boro, Fulham and Liverpool, all games I watched and think you should have won, you'd be top.

It's not the right way of looking at things really - this why Man Utd are Champions fifty times over and Villa aren't. We had them games aswell, can remember losing at home to Leeds, Spurs and at Bolton. Games which we should have won. Then there ya go, nine more points - we should have won it! Doens't quite work like that unfortunately. :(

*Thinks about Bobby era :( *

Another reason Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool do so well is that they consistently win matches - frequently with last minute goals - which most other teams wouldn't win.

*pause for thought*

Villa are just about the best thing to happen this season.  Most of the rest of it has either been predictable or plain s****.

hull for a while.

as a football watcher it's been a good season. some good stuff aswell as a very interesting league so far. most interesting probably in the premier era.

Villa are just about the best thing to happen this season.  Most of the rest of it has either been predictable or plain s****.

hull for a while.

as a football watcher it's been a good season. some good stuff aswell as a very interesting league so far. most interesting probably in the premier era.

You think so? I just think everyone has been average.

hull for a while.

I think a lot of it is down to the fact that half of the league is pretty equally matched. Not many other leagues in Europe would you find teams with players such as Santa Cruz, Robinho, Owen, Modric, etc. in a relegation battle.

hull for a while.

loads of close games that could go either way and better quality than the last couple of seasons imo.

I was watching one of those Premier League Years programmes the other day from 03-04 and at this stage it wasn't a whole lot different to now in terms of the teams being so close together (apart from the top three being miles away): http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2003-2004/table/2003-12-29

thats part of it. the whole league is wide open,not only stats wise but in peoples minds. maybe that season teams stayed roughly where they were. this season has been bizarre for winning 1 game and jumping five places regularly type thing.

I was watching one of those Premier League Years programmes the other day from 03-04 and at this stage it wasn't a whole lot different to now in terms of the teams being so close together (apart from the top three being miles away): http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2003-2004/table/2003-12-29

Just using that website, since the season we finished 3rd we've only won 20 out of 105 away games!

Just to get that into perspective, and to compare it with other average mid-table sides from those seasons, Bolton & Blackburn have won 32 away matches each, Boro 22, and West Ham have won the same amount as us having played 38 fewer away games.

what you are saying is "SJP is a fortress"

:coolsmiley: