The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest quklaani

I switched to the Chelsea game

Before Man Utd became your club for life how many other times did you switch over?

Well I was a Barca fan when I were a foetus.

Bayern fall disapointingly short of the record of 18-0 on aggregate, Klinsmann for the sack.

Edit: Just checked the scorers on the guardian,   

1.  Podolski 7,

2. Podolski 34,

3. Polga (og) 39,

4. Schweinsteiger 43,

5. van Bommel 74,

6. Klose (pen) 82,

7. Muller 90

Bringing on a 63 year old member of staff is taking the piss a bit.

Didn't catch much of the Liverpool game, but the result is one helluva pasting for Real. And with Chelsea getting through against Juve - is the gap between the top 4 english clubs  and the rest of Europe getting as wide as it is with them and the rest of us in the Prem?

Didn't catch much of the Liverpool game, but the result is one helluva pasting for Real. And with Chelsea getting through against Juve - is the gap between the top 4 english clubs  and the rest of Europe getting as wide as it is with them and the rest of us in the Prem?

Yes but maybe with the exception of Barca, Milan and Bayern an english club will either win or come runners up in the champs league for the next 10 or so years. Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal (you cud add Man City in a few years!) are now the super powers of european football which dosn't bode well for the other clubs in the prem!!

Ian Payne on SSN says the Torres goal was 'great' and that it 'looked like' the ball hit Heinze's shoulder. Are these people actually watching?

When Drogba got booked for time-wasting and they were saying it was for dissent. Fucking morons.

I can see Serie A overtaking La Liga pretty quickly. Valencia are gone for a few years with their financial problems and Villareal are punching above their weight so that just leaves Barca while Real remain a joke in europe (and after seeing Barca's only challenger in Spain it's debatable how good they are themselves) . Real just have it far too comfortable in La Liga, how can a team with a defence of Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro (5 years past his best) - Heinze and other mediocre players like Gago, Higuain, Marcelo playing every week even be in the top two, never mind back to back champions. Two teams who can't get near the league titles in England and Italy have shown them up for what they really are.

Yes but maybe with the exception of Barca, Milan and Bayern an english club will either win or come runners up in the champs league for the next 10 or so years. Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal (you cud add Man City in a few years!) are now the super powers of european football which dosn't bode well for the other clubs in the prem!!

That's just a retarded thing to say. You can't predict what will happen in the next 10 years. 10 years ago, the last time an English club won the European cup was wayyy back. There's this nice little timeline of which nation has the most coefficients accumulated by their clubs from European football. England's on top now and rightly so but things can and do change pretty quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients .. go down to 'History' and it should be there.

I think Man City have a lot to prove before they can be mentioned before the likes of Villa..

Guest quklaani

It would be great to see Villa in next years European cup if only to see how they'd do.  I reckon they could make the quarters or just as easily get knocked out in the second qualifying round, god knows they wouldn't be getting any Macabis or Dynamos in their qualifying games.  It'd just be nice to have someone other than the big four playing the big european sides.

Villa would get to the quarters, field a weakened team to prioritise the Premiership in the hope of qualifying for the same tournament next season.

When there's a £15m bonus to be had, who could blame them? :D

Guest Heneage

Real have a cracking squad, just a s*** manager. Van der vaart on the bench. Wise move.

Who would you have dropped him for ?

Guest pont-toon

Real have a cracking squad, just a s*** manager. Van der vaart on the bench. Wise move.

Dennis Wise ?

Gago, possibly. But as far as I'm aware Diarra and Gago have been the regular starters in the centre of their midfield, and Real have been decent in the league as of late so you can't really blame Ramos for that one.

That Geovinco lad that came on for Juventus looked immense. Could see him being a top, top player in a couple of years.

Only saw the first 30 minutes of the Liverpool game before switching over, but they looked terrific. Doesn't matter that they were jammy with that handball, tonight they actually looked like a team deserving of luck.

Guest Heneage

Gago, possibly. But as far as I'm aware Diarra and Gago have been the regular starters in the centre of their midfield, and Real have been decent in the league as of late so you can't really blame Ramos for that one.

Based on form this year, you wouldn't drop either really. Diarra for me has justified his price tag, and looks real quality. Gago while the slower player, has more quality in his passing and really offers more than VDV. I'd have been controversial and dropped Raul myself. Or possibly Higuain but more likely Raul as Gonzalo offers more than Raul these days. I'd have lined up something like.

Iker

Ramos                  Pepe                  Cannavaro            Marcelo

Diarra                  Gago   

Robben                                                                  Sneijder/Drenthe

VDV

Higuain.

The simple fact is that Real don't have the quality in their side at the moment to cope with such an intense game, i.e. the one Liverpool delivered tonight, and in particular the first half an hour. Gago and Diarra are good, if they're given the time to show how good they are. They are not experienced enough to control the midfield in a game such as tonight's, imo.

The Real Madrid that people often get in their heads of fantasy football is dead for the time being, barring the odd game or 2 where everything will click (e.g. 6-1 against Betis at half-time recently). That's how I see it anyway.