The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Another amazing all-round performance by Rooney, I thought. Considering that he won't reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years, it's staggering to think what he might achieve.

Apart from all his other qualities, his ability to anticipate what's about to happen and get into just the right position to receive the ball is quite fantastic.

Have to agree. I'm a huge admirer. His occassional outburts irritate me but he is a great player and does everything you could want really.

I'd take him over Ronaldo every single time.

...over Ronaldo??

World Player of the year and Ballon d'Or of the year right?  over 40 league goals last season, when has Rooney got anywhere near that?  Not to mention the amount of chances Ronaldo creates for others.  Sorry just find that statement incredible.

Rooney is a better team player, and creates more chances for others, I know quite a few Man U fans who would rather hold onto Rooney.

Also, iirc, the stats last season showed that Man U were worse without Rooney than without Ronaldo.

Another amazing all-round performance by Rooney, I thought. Considering that he won't reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years, it's staggering to think what he might achieve.

Apart from all his other qualities, his ability to anticipate what's about to happen and get into just the right position to receive the ball is quite fantastic.

The best in the world at what he does. Absolutely phenomenal tbh.

Cant stand Tommy Smith man. Derek Rae (probaly my fav. commentator in the world) is fantastic, but why does ESPN make American fans suffer through this Irish idiot.

"If Sir Alex look like a genius.......then his opposite number......er.....looks like.......a genius"

He describes every goal as bulging the ol' onion bag. I wish he would be retired.

Really pleased for Porto by the way. Result fully reserved. They seemed the hungrier team.

Wayne Rooney is not the best in the world at anything, and he never will be.

Cant stand Tommy Smith man. Derek Rae (probaly my fav. commentator in the world) is fantastic, but why does ESPN make American fans suffer through this Irish idiot.

"If Sir Alex look like a genius.......then his opposite number......er.....looks like.......a genius"

He describes every goal as bulging the ol' onion bag. I wish he would be retired.

Really pleased for Porto by the way. Result fully reserved. They seemed the hungrier team.

Tommy Smith reminds me of a gerbil on speed. Detestable football analysis.

Bullshit. His natural understanding of the game is top rate. Although Messi and Ronaldo are the better players, Rooney can do some things better than them. He has a drive and passion to win that exceeds theirs combined. Add that to the wide array of skills in his arsenal, and a powerful right foot, and you have a lethal combination. IMO he really can be one of the greats.

Tommy Smith reminds me of a gerbil on speed. Detestable football analysis.

:lol: Enjoyed him today. He spent the entire match overlooking everything Porto did and overreacting whenever Manchester put two passes together.

Derek Rae really is fantastic, however.

Have to agree. I'm a huge admirer. His occassional outburts irritate me but he is a great player and does everything you could want really.

...over Ronaldo??

World Player of the year and Ballon d'Or of the year right?  over 40 league goals last season, when has Rooney got anywhere near that?  Not to mention the amount of chances Ronaldo creates for others.  Sorry just find that statement incredible.

I hate to admit it but I have to defend Ronaldo here; not been talked about thatmuch during this season, and he's already got 20 goals, not to mention the 70ish goals of the past 2 seasons. The bit I don't agree with is "zomg thats amazing for a winger". He's only a winger in the sense of him starting there in the official formation. The amount he drifts from there, and amount of simple goals he gets from 10 yards out after being laid on by others suggests hes just a roaming forward, starting from the wing.

A few of Rooney's performances recently have however suggested he might be starting to realise some of the potential to its full capacity.

Villarreal v Arsenal Champions League Quarter Final (Attendance: 23,000)

Newcastle United Training Session (Attendance: 7,500)

;D

To be fair their stadium is not even half the size of ours, so in that sense it's not really that mind boggling.  :pow:

;D

We're so awesome. :lol:

Just, you know, not in the footballing sense. At all.

;D

Not really that funny when you consider 23,000 is roughly half their city's population.

;D

To be fair their stadium is not even half the size of ours, so in that sense it's not really that mind boggling.  :pow:

I know, I know.

Just a throwaway comment guys, a bit of happiness in these barren times.  :razz:

...over Ronaldo??

I hate to admit it but I have to defend Ronaldo here; not been talked about thatmuch during this season, and he's already got 20 goals, not to mention the 70ish goals of the past 2 seasons. The bit I don't agree with is "zomg thats amazing for a winger". He's only a winger in the sense of him starting there in the official formation. The amount he drifts from there, and amount of simple goals he gets from 10 yards out after being laid on by others suggests hes just a roaming forward, starting from the wing.

A few of Rooney's performances recently have however suggested he might be starting to realise some of the potential to its full capacity.

Perhaps I have been going on a bit about him recently, but I don't think he's ever played better than he's playing now. Man U were looking quite jaded last night, and he absolutely carried them through. I'm pretty sure they'd have lost 2 or 3 nil if it hadn't been for him.

To that natural athletic talent and skill, he's now added a very shrewd and creative football brain. He's one step ahead of defenders all the time.

...over Ronaldo??

Perhaps I have been going on a bit about him recently, but I don't think he's ever played better than he's playing now. Man U were looking quite jaded last night, and he absolutely carried them through. I'm pretty sure they'd have lost 2 or 3 nil if it hadn't been for him.

To that natural athletic talent and skill, he's now added a very shrewd and creative football brain. He's one step ahead of defenders all the time.

2 and 3 steps ahead at times tbh. As you say, last night, HE was the team. He carried the work of 3, maybe 4 players. A player like that is worth his weight in gold to a team. Man Utd are better off selling Ronaldo before they can even think about selling Rooney. Ferguson knows this, and I suspect that if you ask him, he would tell you that Rooney is his most coveted player, probably since Cantona.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Bullshit. His natural understanding of the game is top rate. Although Messi and Ronaldo are the better players, Rooney can do some things better than them. He has a drive and passion to win that exceeds theirs combined. Add that to the wide array of skills in his arsenal, and a powerful right foot, and you have a lethal combination. IMO he really can be one of the greats.

To say Rooney can do something better than him (Messi) and I am sure you are just watching English games in your football world.

To say Rooney can do something better than him (Messi) and I am sure you are just watching English games in your football world.

You're wrong about that, because I've probably watched Messi more than I've watched Rooney this season.

Guest elbee909

It'd be great to see Rooney in the Spanish League.  He'd cut through them like a hot knife through hot butter, to the background of lots of shrugging and pleading with referees.

For the record IMO, overall, Messi > Rooney

Rooney though it has to be said is starting to show the form he's capable of, i.e being the star of a game, and dictating Man Utd's offensive play.

I still think mind that although they're both obviously hugely talented, Messi is just a class above. Quicker, more skilful and I think frightens defences more.

I think Messi has more flow to his game. A lot of the things he does just seem to come randomly out of the pure talent that he possesses. Rooney on the other hand is without a doubt immensly talented, but he is only on top of his game when he uses his psychological strenghts and his will to succeed. I don't know exactly how to put it, but it looks to me as if Rooney tries harder than Messi.

For the record IMO, overall, Messi > Rooney

Rooney though it has to be said is starting to show the form he's capable of, i.e being the star of a game, and dictating Man Utd's offensive play.

I still think mind that although they're both obviously hugely talented, Messi is just a class above. Quicker, more skilful and I think frightens defences more.

surely rooney is becoming more of a "playmaker" and as a consequence his goals ratio will drop off a bit

messi's role has remained the same since he started and doesn't show signs of changing (why would it?), his goals ratio will get better probably

imagine the two of them in the same team!  mommy

It'd be great to see Rooney in the Spanish League. 

yup, then the bugger would stop scoring past us!  :iamatwat:

is it more of a:

rooney --- zidane

messi --- maradona

?

in that they are similar players, in their role, if you know what i mean. rooney being a different sort of player to messi, more along the lines of a zidane maybe?

Are you really saying that Messi is better than Rooney in every single aspect of the game?

Are you really saying that Messi is better than Rooney in every single aspect of the game?

what's messi like with verbal abuse of the ref?  bet rooney walks that one