Kinnear hopes for cash boost

Dave

There's still £12m in the coffers from the sale of James Milner. I reckon that's what JK will have to spend in January

how do you work that out ? is it written somewhere that transfers fees in coming can only be used to finance other transfers ?

It was something to do with the fact that the club said the money raised from the sale of James Milner would be reinvested in new players.

It was reinvested in Xisco. Not fully but partially!

and what we may have to pay for gutierrez

I reckon he'll actively look to sell Xisco and Enrique, and if any form of decent offer came in for Cacapa, Viduka, Carroll, Harper or Geremi, I reckon he'd sell them too.

Anyone else he probably wouldn't sell unless it was a colossal amount of money or excellent deal.

I reckon he'll actively look to sell Xisco and Enrique, and if any form of decent offer came in for Cacapa, Viduka, Carroll, Harper or Geremi, I reckon he'd sell them too.

Anyone else he probably wouldn't sell unless it was a colossal amount of money or excellent deal.

N'Zogbia will go too I reckon.

Guest The Libertine

Just reading the JK comments on the Sky Sports web site and he says the sort of money to be made available to him hasnt been made clear yet. As its the 29th of December, isnt it about time they had this kind of thing was sorted out ?

I also thought I heard Joe say the other day, that they had spoken to 4 players about signing them but were waiting for responses. How can they do that if they dont know how much Mike is going to give out to spend ? Unless they are just loaners

:undecided:

from what we know of "the system" i'd imagine that means he's given a list of names to whoever and they've made/are making the moves to bring them in and cant give a exact number until they know how much his list have cost us (provided we get them). keegan said similar things about giving lists and not knowing the exact amount he has to spend.

hope we spend money in the window! i prefer young promising players with ambitions....i dont mind them a bit expensive!

im so f...... SICK of players like smith, duff, geremi, butt, viduka, cacapa etc. most of these players get paid really well and gives nothing of value to the team!

i said it many times.....but we really need to get rid of 6-8 "1st team players"

buy young and "expensive" or go for bargains like bassong, jonas and guthrie!

The window opens in three days time and Joe still doesnt know that he can spend....which means we dont have any plans for the window yet....NOT GOOD ENOUGH......VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.....as usual :doh:

If he's worth £5m it's difficult to understand any manager not even giving him a go. I'm not sure I believe that Keegan wanted him.

The point is the manager should be living and dying by his judgements on players. The club shouldn't be bringing them in on his behalf then telling him 'there you go'.

Same thing happened to Enrique last season.

And Allardyce looked f***ing stupid because of it.

But people gave Enrique the benefit of the doubt whilst everyone seems really keen to write Xisco off. If he hadn't been bought by Wise/Jimenez/Vetere/Whoever is not Keegan I don't think people would be so quick to do so. We all know Kinnear isn't the best judge of anything to do with football.

People gave Enrique the benefit of the doubt because while he wasn't starting regularly he still played quite a few games so people could see his potential for themselves.  Xisco has played three games all season..  Not saying he should be written off at this stage, just don't think they're situations are really that comparable.

He needs money to spend on players, but the players don't need to be expensive.  It's doubtful we can attract the sort of players that merit those sort of transfer fees, so we'd probably end up overpaying.  Average managers at small clubs seem to be getting consistently better results than us with average players that most people on here would turn their noses up at.  If it takes massive investment to reach the mid table and avoid performing like a lower league team against the top four, then how are jokers like Hull managing it?

Average Premiership players are fine with me.  Average seems like a distant dream when you suffer through the performances of Nicky Butt.  You could probably create a long list of more technically competent, more ambitious, more creative players on lesser wages that could easily replace Butt from just the Championship. 

Take a look at Bassong - a physical, no nonsense professional.  Doesn't flap about under pressure, doesn't commit many silly errors.  Hardly exceptional, but in the context of this squad he stands out.  By just doing his job.  And how much did he cost?  Give us two equivalent players in midfield and we'd be a much better team.  You can't tell me we have to spend 30+ mil to fix this squad.  We just need pros instead of the washed up wasters that earn 10x their worth because they have a recognizable name. 

Part of the problem with this club is that since we never win anything, so much pride and prestige gets wrapped up in the transfer market.  Signing a big money player is the closest we get to a bit of glory.  If we sign 3 or 4 players in January that nobody has heard of or that aren't established internationals then people will be unreasonably disappointed.

Very gloomy financial outlook for football clubs ahead from next season predicted in this article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5415599.ece

January transfer spending in the Premier League and Football League has soared in recent years, from £33 million in 2003 to £175 million last January. But that was when the good times rolled, when credit was easy and players’ agents could name their price.

Now the only word associated with credit is crunch and even football’s sugar daddies are squealing that enough is enough. If moneybags Chelsea, with Roman Abramovich, their Russian billionaire benefactor, have called a temporary halt to signings while they cut staff and shave spending, what chance have the rest?

Manchester United look as though they will limit themselves to investing £15 million in their future by taking on two Serbs, Zoran Tosic, aged 21, and Adem Ljajic, 17, but it is not clear whether these deals will go through next month. Rumours swirl that Arsenal will bid a club-record fee to woo Carlos Tévez from United, while Liverpool have been associated with many big-name players.

Arsenal, at least, have money in the bank, but what happens when Rafael Benítez goes to George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks, the Liverpool owners, with his price list? The Liverpool manager is likely to leave the room with his ears ringing from a lecture about economics, which may include how the pair plan to refinance the £350 million loan they used to buy the club, which is due for renegotiation while the transfer window is open wide.

That leaves Tottenham Hotspur, one of the few profitable clubs in football, who have spied the promised land of the “Big Four” under Harry Redknapp, their new manager, and could release funds for two or three significant signings. The only big spending will come from the coffers of Manchester City’s Arab owners, whose pile of petro-dollars remains untouched by the financial meltdown.

If Mark Hughes, the City manager, spends all of his budget, it is unlikely to come anywhere near to sending January’s total near to last year’s record mark. Premier League clubs such as Middlesbrough have battened down the financial hatches to the extent that they cannot buy unless they sell. And a club such as Middlesbrough do not want to sell an asset as valuable as Stewart Downing, their England winger who has been targeted by Tottenham, even if Redknapp comes calling with an offer of £15 million.

Shopping for bargains from abroad is also out in the new austerity era. Sterling’s fall means that players from the Continent are 20 per cent more expensive this January than they were last, according to the foreign exchange trading company Currencies Direct.

That will not stop Manchester City’s owners in Abu Dhabi opening their gilded chequebook. But City, and a lucky (or desperate) few aside, football’s coffers are looking increasingly bare. For some of the 72 Football League clubs and the dozens of teams in the Blue Square Premier and lower leagues, Santa brought little but big bills and final demands this Christmas.

Many are cushioned because they pre-sold their season tickets nine months to a year ago and the money is banked. But the shock is still to come.

The sales fever that swept the high street in the past few days has reached the turnstiles, with clubs slashing ticket prices, and Lord Mawhinney, the Football League chairman, has warned that season tickets for 2009-10 will be harder to shift than for years, to the extent that he plans to visit Football League clubs in March to check for any signs of looming problems.

“Things look calm now,” he said. “But the crunch comes in the run-up to next season. Crowd numbers have held up so far, but they won’t as things go on. The next three years are going to be terrible and football is not immune to the problems in the wider economy.”

I think Joe will be provided with minimal funds and I'm wondering what his buys were like at previous clubs?. Then again because he has always been on a tight budget elsewhere perhaps that will be to our advantage seeing as the number of times managers who run teams on a shoestring the minute they get decent funds their buys are often poor.

I believe we will ditch a few of the present mob and get in a few cheapies (bearing in mind prices will rocket for those at the bottom as they're the ones who need new inputs generally) to help us survive to the end of the season.