The big N.O U-turn

Guest Howaythetoon

It says a lot that there will be mass celebrations if we buy a few players when in normal conditions it would be akin to applauding Owen for simply putting on his boots.

aye, 30 mil + this window would be required to get back to Par,...theres no f***ing chance of that.

If we keep the players we've got, it's just a matter of improving in certain areas and that'd not cost £30m+ if we shopped around well.

Am I the only one who thinks our first 11 (when on form) actually looks pretty decent as it is? I.e. Given - Beye - Coloccini - Bassong - Enrique - N'Zogbia - Barton - Guthrie - Gutierrez - Owen - Martins. In that case it's more about providing decent competition and cover than strengthening areas where we're extremely weak or prone to injury and suspension.

Individually it looks decent enough I suppose but together that to me looks like an unbalanced side and that's before we get into tactics and the quality of coaching behind the scenes and of course the mindset of the players, a good number want out.

When everyone is fit and available (I know!!) we have a 'competent' team.

Competent will get you top half.

Unfortunately once we lose a couple of players, or just one (Barton) in the midfield it shows up the lack of decent cover.

I'm not going to go mental if we don't sign a couple of big name 'galacticos' or whatever, thats for the summer. I will be disapointed if we don't at least pad out the squad to enable decent cover for the rest of this limp season.

We need a couple of full backs in this window, just to provide cover if nowt else. It shouldn't need £30m to do that. Other positions like central midfield would be nice but unless we get the right player we can wait till the summer. If we can't at least get a couple of full backs in I'd be asking questions why for sure.

I trust him to spend it better than Wise & Co not necessarily on better players but in the right areas and really, if they don't trust him they should remove him now and appoint someone they do. If it is they who are signing the players then I don't trust them to strengthen the areas that need strengthened much less turn down bids for our better players which Kinnear will be fighting tooth and nail to keep.

It's strange that for seasons our defence has been a major weakness and that's no longer the case because of the last transfer window.

It says a lot that there will be mass celebrations if we buy a few players when in normal conditions it would be akin to applauding Owen for simply putting on his boots.

aye, 30 mil + this window would be required to get back to Par,...theres no f***ing chance of that.

do you trust kinnear to spend £30 million in this window?

I trust him to spend it better than Wise & Co not necessarily on better players but in the right areas and really, if they don't trust him they should remove him now and appoint someone they do. If it is they who are signing the players then I don't trust them to strengthen the areas that need strengthened much less turn down bids for our better players which Kinnear will be fighting tooth and nail to keep.

I'm the other way. I'd rather Wise & co made the major decisions with JFK getting a couple of stocking fillers to keep him happy.

I'm the other way. I'd rather Wise & co made the major decisions with JFK getting a couple of stocking fillers to keep him happy.

Ideally, you want them all working together and making joint decisions that everyone agrees with  :undecided:

that would be a ridiculous way to run a football club, ..get yourself across to the does ashley want us relegated thread.

Guest The Libertine

that would be a ridiculous way to run a football club, ..get yourself across to the does ashley want us relegated thread.

/NE5

/NE5

i trust him more than Wise,

but MY KASH LIE, will not be spending 30 mil, so dont upset yourself libby

If we keep the players we've got, it's just a matter of improving in certain areas and that'd not cost £30m+ if we shopped around well.

Am I the only one who thinks our first 11 (when on form) actually looks pretty decent as it is? I.e. Given - Beye - Coloccini - Bassong - Enrique - N'Zogbia - Barton - Guthrie - Gutierrez - Owen - Martins. In that case it's more about providing decent competition and cover than strengthening areas where we're extremely weak or prone to injury and suspension.

Individually it looks decent enough I suppose but together that to me looks like an unbalanced side and that's before we get into tactics and the quality of coaching behind the scenes and of course the mindset of the players, a good number want out.

When everyone is fit and available (I know!!) we have a 'competent' team.

Competent will get you top half.

Unfortunately once we lose a couple of players, or just one (Barton) in the midfield it shows up the lack of decent cover.

I'm not going to go mental if we don't sign a couple of big name 'galacticos' or whatever, thats for the summer. I will be disapointed if we don't at least pad out the squad to enable decent cover for the rest of this limp season.

Agree with the lot of that.

Guest Stephen927

This transfer window is set to be a huge disappointment tbh, haven't built my hopes for it at all, just convincing myself that it's like any other month during the season.

Kinnear saying we've enquired about Ferguson, then the Rangers board and Walter Smith coming out and saying he hasn't is embarrassing.

Ideally, you want them all working together and making joint decisions that everyone agrees with  :undecided:

Ideally i'd have rather the club was sold and we got another manager in, but under the circumstances i'll have to go with Wise and co who didn't do that bad in the summer.

I said it before, if they didn't trust KK who was out of the game for 3 years I hope they don't trust JFK who was out for 4. I don't mind him being in charge, well I do tbh, but under the circumstances he's done ok but lets not give him too much to do other than sticking a team out.

Guest The Libertine

/NE5

didnt actually answer the question, did you? imagine my surprise.

/NE5

try reading it again,

This transfer window is set to be a huge disappointment tbh, haven't built my hopes for it at all, just convincing myself that it's like any other month during the season.

Kinnear saying we've enquired about Ferguson, then the Rangers board and Walter Smith coming out and saying he hasn't is embarrassing.

Its a watershed of sorts, i'm not expecting or demanding we buy big, but I expect and demand that we cover the gaps in the squad now that Ashley can't use the 'club for sale' as an excuse for nixing any deals.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's strange that for seasons our defence has been a major weakness and that's no longer the case because of the last transfer window.

We've conceded 32 so far, so that to me suggest our defence is still a major weakness. 5 less than a side who last season were playing in the Championship and who are bottom of the league.

Its a watershed of sorts, i'm not expecting or demanding we buy big, but I expect and demand that we cover the gaps in the squad now that Ashley can't use the 'club for sale' as an excuse for nixing any deals.

How hard can it be to buy a left back better than Zog and a right back better than Taylor? I would think there's a few in the lower leagues who could do a job as cover.

Guest The Libertine

/NE5

try reading it again,

a see a childish dig at wise and a lack of "yes" or "no". you clearly dont trust kinnear with it, so...to back or not to back?

We've conceded 32 so far, so that to me suggest our defence is still a major weakness. 5 less than a side who last season were playing in the Championship and who are bottom of the league.

The midfield do very little to help the defence and that shouldn't be ignored. 5 of those goals came in one game and under Kinnear we've not really been letting in that many goals all things considered.

Its a team game HTT, our defence is competent/decent, our attack is competent/decent, our centre midfield is championship standard.

Man City are in the bottom half with a 'plus' goal difference. Its a funny old game.

I'll stand by what I've said and now that we are picking the right players when fit we've got a better defence than we've had for years.

/NE5

try reading it again,

a see a childish dig at wise and a lack of "yes" or "no". you clearly dont trust kinnear with it, so...to back or not to back?

if we were spending 30 mil, yes i would back the manager,

yes.

oh . libertine why has it come to this,....you cant stand me now....

Guest Howaythetoon

The saddest part of all this of course without wanting to open up old wounds is that we are requiring exactly what we required in the summer still, but without a manager who was not only good enough but also trusted to identify talent and address problem areas. And for some totally bizarre reason that just never happened and now Kinnear in a roundabout way will pay for that in a damned if he does damned if he doesn't way, i.e. he can't be trusted to spend money but needs to be giving money. That is the position those who are meant to manage the club have put everyone in, and I include themselves and do you know what? I still can't accept what has happened because to me it is totally illogical and counter productive to appoint a good manager and not back him, as we are finding out today.

I think Kinnear is a clueless lying wanker but as long as he's the manager he should be the one in overall charge of who is brought in and shifted out of the squad in my opinion. Because he's the one who has to pick them, motivate them and get them producing results on the pitch. He should also be the one who takes the stick and finds his job at risk if they are shit.

This doesn't mean I don't want to see more players like Bassong brought in, of course. That is how things should work. Scouts find players, recommend them to manager. Manager decides whether he wants them or not. On that front Wise and team have done a decent job so far.

Ideas are all well and good, I just want whoever the manager is to have the final, definitive say on who is bought and who is sold. Pretty simple really.

/NE5

try reading it again,

if we were spending 30 mil, yes i would back the manager,

yes.

oh . libertine why has it come to this,....you cant stand me now....

;D

How hard can it be to buy a left back better than Zog and a right back better than Taylor? I would think there's a few in the lower leagues who could do a job as cover.

Shouldn't be hard at all. More than a fair few decent, affordable and most importantly realistic names thrown up on this forum alone.

So I guess it comes down to intent I suppose. If they have the intent to 'drive us forward in 2009' then these positions should be a priority to get sorted.