The big N.O U-turn

Guest Howaythetoon

I'll reserve my judgemnt for sept 2nd if im honest. Its the only window that the club has no excuses to suceed. ;)

I'm sure you'll find some, you were saying that last year.

:lol:

Why do you think I'd want to find excuses? I must of imagined the whole Keegan debacle then.

Silly me.

I'll reserve my judgemnt for sept 2nd if im honest. Its the only window that the club has no excuses to suceed. ;)

In that case why make such a song and dance for months about making signings in the Jan window? I am taking Joe at his word, I'm assuming he's got some idea that Ashley will back him and bring in faces. Although I am having a job keeping a straight face even as I type this.

To be fair, the odds are with me on this one, Ashley and Co only have to spend £11m to beat the most ever spent in a January period window my NUFC. Not a great deal really is it. If that happens will the boo boys shut up then, i doubt it but I'm not complaining.

Why do you think I'd want to find excuses? I must of imagined the whole Keegan debacle then.

Silly me.

You might have noticed he's gone now and a much more pliable man is in place. Surely this month we'll be able to sign at least some of all these great players that the system identified which Keegan blocked because he'd never heard of them?

We could even possibly get Modric now. He's not exactly set the Premiership alight at Spurs, and Harry may not think he's necessary (as they have a glut of midfielders) if he can get £20m to spend elsewhere on his squad.

Silly me.

You might have noticed he's gone now and a much more pliable man is in place. Surely this month we'll be able to sign at least some of all these great players that the system identified which Keegan blocked because he'd never heard of them?

If they're availalbe and a reasonalbe price then i dont see why not. Like i said, £11m "to beat".

We could even possibly get Modric now. He's not exactly set the Premiership alight at Spurs, and Harry may not think he's necessary (as they have a glut of midfielders) if he can get £20m to spend elsewhere on his squad.

Redknapp loves Modric, we've got no chance, and if he for some reason did want to sell him on Modric still has an impressive reputation in the eyes of most clubs so there would be little chance of us beating them to him at the moment.

Guest Howaythetoon

There can be no excuses come Feb the 2nd. They've had f***ing months and months to look at, identify and approach clubs, where as Kinnear since he arrived almost weekly has spouted off about the need to strengthen the squad and Wise has been spotted all over the world watching players apparently. If we don't strengthen the squad in a sufficient way, insufficient being the Jan debacle under Roeder, then there can be no defence of Ashley and his people. I dont buy the story that Jan is a hard time to buy because no-one wants to sell their players, eh, every club up and down the country and world are looking at their squads looking how they can add to it and who they can peddle whille agents all over the place are trying to engineer moves, add the fact that several clubs are badly in need of money, all these new managers in place who want to start building their own teams and of course fans' expectations and there is a great deal of business to be done. I guarantee those that want to buy ro need to buy do so. Well we MUST. We'll see....

There can be no excuses come Feb the 2nd. They've had f***ing months and months to look at, identify and approach clubs, where as Kinnear since he arrived almost weekly has spouted off about the need to strengthen the squad and Wise has been spotted all over the world watching players apparently. If we don't strengthen the squad in a sufficient way, insufficient being the Jan debacle under Roeder, then there can be no defence of Ashley and his people. I dont buy the story that Jan is a hard time to buy because no-one wants to sell their players, eh, every club up and down the country and world are looking at their squads looking how they can add to it and who they can peddle whille agents all over the place are trying to engineer moves, add the fact that several clubs are badly in need of money, all these new managers in place who want to start building their own teams and of course fans' expectations and there is a great deal of business to be done. I guarantee those that want to buy ro need to buy do so. Well we MUST. We'll see....

As for the your first sentence, christ. They have had weeks and months of uncertainty, a temporary manager still in the job due to no buyers, only just resigned to the fact that no new investment is forthcoming, and the sodding director of our recruitment resigning.

I want a source for the seconed bolded bit.

As for the third bolded bit. Seriously?

People don't want to sell their useful players now for similar reasons that we're up in arms over the possibility of Owen, Martins, or Given leaving. It's a fucking idiotic thing to do halfway through a season whether you need consistancy of a settled team, the squad when the going gets tough at the top, or need your best players in a relegation battle.

Lighten up Francis.

As for the your first sentence, christ. They have had weeks and months of uncertainty, a temporary manager still in the job due to no buyers, only just resigned to the fact that no new investment is forthcoming, and the sodding director of our recruitment resigning.

So... Who is responsible for

a) the uncertainty

b) appointing a temporary manager

c) the lack of funds?

d) the resignation of our manager and director of recruitment due to c) above

I'm looking at a certain fat man with a plan.

If he continues to engineer massive fuck-ups at the club will that be a solid excuse for not investing in it for the next few years then?

I dont buy the story that Jan is a hard time to buy because no-one wants to sell their players

Seriously?

Of course it is. Whether they need money or not no team wants to break their squad up half way through the season when they can't guarantee they'd be adequately replaced.

So... Who is responsible for

a) the uncertainty

b) appointing a temporary manager

c) the lack of funds?

d) the resignation of our manager and director of recruitment due to c) above

I'm looking at a certain fat man with a plan.

If he continues to engineer massive fuck-ups at the club will that be a solid excuse for not investing in it for the next few years then?

What has any of that got to do with the bit you have highlighted, or any of the points I was making?

I wasn't excusing anyone for the state we're in, only arguing that our preperation for this window has been far (far far) from perfect. Not excuses, just reality.

Do you, as HTT suggests, think we have had months and months of settled preparation? That our scouting and recruitment network has not been affected? That the winter window is as good a time as any to prise the best players away from their current clubs? Well, however we have ended up here, I don't.

You could put the current state of the club down the the failure of the last transfer window.  In fact, yes it is.

Failure? It was our best summer window since... Jesus, I don't even know when.

The current state of the club can be put down to messirs Keegan and Ashley. The transfers themselves were pretty sensible.

You could put the current state of the club down the the failure of the last transfer window.  In fact, yes it is.

The current state of the club can be put down to messirs Keegan and Ashley. The transfers themselves were pretty sensible.

Failure, yes.  Didn't address all the issues wih the first team and first team squad. 

Sold Milner late on and never replaced him. Have 3 fcking left wingers, 1 LB and 1 RB.  WTF???!?!?!?!?!

Failure, yes.  Didn't address all the issues wih the first team and first team squad. 

Sold Milner late on and never replaced him. Have 3 fcking left wingers, 1 LB and 1 RB.  WTF???!?!?!?!?!

I'm not saying it was perfect, but compared to our usual standards it was f***ing dynamite. Can you name a better-run summer window?

We've never, ever had a summer transfer window where everything turned out perfectly and there ended up being 0 holes in the squad. In fact, I think very few teams ever have.

You're complaining about not having special fullbacks for backup? Howay man, I'm barely getting used to having any at all.

Aye, fair point about the fullbacks.

I can see your points on Col, Jonas, Bassong and Guthrie but we also failed to replace Milner and add a creative midfielder to the set up.  We should have also been looking for a repalcement for Butt.

Oh and not forgeting to offer a contract to Mr Owen.

I'm not saying it was perfect, but compared to our usual standards it was f***ing dynamite. Can you name a better-run summer window?

We've never, ever had a summer transfer window where everything turned out perfectly and there ended up being 0 holes in the squad. In fact, I think very few teams ever have.

You're complaining about not having special fullbacks for backup? Howay man, I'm barely getting used to having any at all.

Guest Howaythetoon

I dont buy the story that Jan is a hard time to buy because no-one wants to sell their players

Seriously?

Of course it is. Whether they need money or not no team wants to break their squad up half way through the season when they can't guarantee they'd be adequately replaced.

No team wants to break their squad up at any point in a season whereas no club wants to sell their better players full stop, but clubs have no trouble buying and selling in the summer. Like I said those clubs that want to buy and need to buy will, we need to but will we? There can be no excuses.

There were people saying the same after Souness's summer. Fact is, we've made what seems to be two good signings for good money (Bassong and Jonas), two decent (Coloccini and Guthrie; one expensive, the other cheap) and two failures, one of them on loan, the other rather expensive. Oh, and Nile Ranger. People are blinded by the fact that our best signings were also the cheapest. The team hasn't improved much at all.