Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Believe me fatwax, Kinnear would take £0.50p at the moment to try and spend on players, I only give information Iam told, i dont start it, we will never know how much we got for him so leave it at that.

I doubt Kinnear has much say on how much we will accept for a player.

True - I doubt he was even consulted.

Guest JamesyJazz

I have no ill feelings towards Given.He's did his best for us,put up with total mayhem as regards managers and direction the club wanted to take.In Harper we have a more than competant keeper and imo just as good as Given.

If i was Man City i would really go after Cristiano Ronaldo, pay Kaka kind of sums to get him there.  Now that would be a statement to everyone, would imo certainly see Ferguson resigning, ending that era.

Sad day for the club, undoubtedly.

Selling a player who didn't want to be here?

Nah.

Urgh, ok. A sad situation then, that better?

I'm annoyed he's chosen to walk out on us.

But if he doesn't want to be here then he can f***ing suck eggs. Hope we spend the cash WISEly. ;) 

I'm sad that one of my personal heroes has decided he's had enough of this s*** club. That's what i was getting at. :thup:

Then that's up to you my friend.  :thup:

Personally, I couldn't give a s*** about him (or anyone else who doesn't want to play for Newcastle United for that matter). He doesn't want to see it through, then f*** him. 

People not acknowledging what he has given to NUFC beggars belief. "F*** him"??? Maybe show him some f***ing respect.

Had he acted with a bit of honesty and slapped in a transfer request in a month ago then I'd have been easier on him. He didn't. He decided to let his lawyer slag us off and link him with other clubs whilst still under contract.

He can f*** off.

Blimey, what a short term memory. Unbelievably loyal servant that has repeatedly urged whoever has been in charge to strengthen the defence in front of him - perhaps he finally realised that he wasn't being listened to. As to "He can fuck off", that's hardly impressive.

Agree entirely, I find that attitude utterly juvenile. The guy has one chance at his career, we have been told that NUFC is now a club that will build for the future. Yet still Given is blamed for not treading water for the final years of his career until the youngsters who might be decent come through.  :lol:

Guest johnson293

People laughed at me earlier when I told you of the problem with his medical. Nicko has confirmed the same problem.  :rant

Aye, because Journalists are always right, aren't they??  :doh:

He probably got the 'failed medical' story from your post on here??!!  :pow:

Nah.

But if he doesn't want to be here then he can f***ing suck eggs. Hope we spend the cash WISEly. ;) 

I'm sad that one of my personal heroes has decided he's had enough of this s*** club. That's what i was getting at. :thup:

Personally, I couldn't give a s*** about him (or anyone else who doesn't want to play for Newcastle United for that matter). He doesn't want to see it through, then f*** him. 

People not acknowledging what he has given to NUFC beggars belief. "F*** him"??? Maybe show him some f***ing respect.

Had he acted with a bit of honesty and slapped in a transfer request in a month ago then I'd have been easier on him. He didn't. He decided to let his lawyer slag us off and link him with other clubs whilst still under contract.

He can f*** off.

Blimey, what a short term memory. Unbelievably loyal servant that has repeatedly urged whoever has been in charge to strengthen the defence in front of him - perhaps he finally realised that he wasn't being listened to. As to "He can f*** off", that's hardly impressive.

Agree entirely, I find that attitude utterly juvenile. The guy has one chance at his career, we have been told that NUFC is now a club that will build for the future. Yet still Given is blamed for not treading water for the final years of his career until the youngsters who might be decent come through.  :lol:

Can't agree more.  At least with Shearer deciding to finish his career with us you can sort of understand with the local links and all that but what reason did Shay have to hold on to the sinking ship? His record looks shit this season (5 against Liverpool) even though he was usually our man of the match.

Guest toonlass

Nah.

He can f*** off.

Blimey, what a short term memory. Unbelievably loyal servant that has repeatedly urged whoever has been in charge to strengthen the defence in front of him - perhaps he finally realised that he wasn't being listened to. As to "He can fuck off", that's hardly impressive.

I remember only too well how well he's played for us in the past. Which makes his actions over the last month even more vexing. That bloke has told his lawyer to slag the club off, make himself available for transfer (unofficially) and still draw his wage for us.

He's an excellent goalie but he's a cunt for the way he's gone about things. Handing in a transfer request on the 30th January - fuck off Given. I don't wish injury on him but he's a prick. :hmm:

:sadnod:

Nah.

He can f*** off.

Blimey, what a short term memory. Unbelievably loyal servant that has repeatedly urged whoever has been in charge to strengthen the defence in front of him - perhaps he finally realised that he wasn't being listened to. As to "He can f*** off", that's hardly impressive.

I remember only too well how well he's played for us in the past. Which makes his actions over the last month even more vexing. That bloke has told his lawyer to slag the club off, make himself available for transfer (unofficially) and still draw his wage for us.

He's an excellent goalie but he's a c*** for the way he's gone about things. Handing in a transfer request on the 30th January - f*** off Given. I don't wish injury on him but he's a prick. :hmm:

:sadnod:

Transfer request = no loyalty fee.  N'Zogbia gets one but not Shay.  Great stuff.

Most people don't blame Given for leaving. What they do blame him for are: -

Having his lawyer make it known that he wanted to leave the club before the transfer window opened.

Handing in an official transfer request on January the 30th.

Forcing a move in the Winter transfer window.

He's a Man City player now. Forget about him.

Glad its done.

Not really the deal I wanted wrapped up though, N'Zogbia needs to pull his fucking finger out and sign!

7.5m stupid business really, but we didnt want to keep an unhappy player. Hopefully we fully use this money, like most on here im expecting a statement tmrw explaining how the deals we had lined up fell through but the money will be invested in the summer.

Guest toonlass

Wouldn't be surprised if the club made him hand in the transfer request before he could go to get out of giving him a loyalty bonus like. 11 years with the club, he should have had a hell of a bonus in my eyes. But that makes his actions of the past month even worse.

Sad to see this actually happen, despite knowing full well for the last few weeks that it was coming...

He's been unhappy with our direction for the last few years, and has been very vocal about it. He obviously had enough, and I can't argue with his decision to want to move on. The only thing that pisses me off is the manner in which it happened. Our hand seems to have been forced into selling our prize asset for (reportedly) much less than I thought we should value him at. Shay actions (through those of his agent) have been very unprofessional, and I've lost a bit of respect for him as a result. It'll fucking hurt seeing him playing in a Man City shirt...  :weep:

Guest BigTrev

Sad to see this actually happen, despite knowing full well for the last few weeks that it was coming...

He's been unhappy with our direction for the last few years, and has been very vocal about it. He obviously had enough, and I can't argue with his decision to want to move on. The only thing that pisses me off is the manner in which it happened. Our hand seems to have been forced into selling our prize asset for (reportedly) much less than I thought we should value him at. Shay actions (through those of his agent) have been very unprofessional, and I've lost a bit of respect for him as a result. It'll f***ing hurt seeing him playing in a Man City shirt...  :weep:

dont worry you wont have to see it often as he will be sat on the bench once the ownsers by buffon

Guest Stephen927

No player our way? Well f***ing done you fools.

How do you know we didn't try and got rejected by the player?

Would explain how it took so long to negotiate a fee, perhaps we were trying to get one of their players into the bargain.

Guest afternoonfix

Thanks for the great performances Shay! Now f*** off.

Hope you enjoy sitting on the bench while Gigi is lined up in the summer, you c***. :thup:

tit

Someone will probably leak the real price in the next week or so.

We're led to believe that whilst we managed to get £8m for Dyer, it looks like we've got £6m + a player for Insomnia yet we've let Given, who we didn't need to sell, for half what we wanted for him?

But he failed the medical?  So what, he was still under contract to us & we could easily have told Citeh to fuck off & come back in the summer.

Guest northwestmag1892

Nah.

He can f*** off.

He's an excellent goalie but he's a c*** for the way he's gone about things. Handing in a transfer request on the 30th January - f*** off Given. I don't wish injury on him but he's a prick. :hmm:

So are you mate...

Someone will probably leak the real price in the next week or so.

We're led to believe that whilst we managed to get £8m for Dyer, it looks like we've got £6m + a player for Insomnia yet we've let Given, who we didn't need to sell, for half what we wanted for him?

But he failed the medical?  So what, he was still under contract to us & we could easily have told Citeh to fuck off & come back in the summer.

I thought the whole thing was that keeping him around, especially after the events that had occurred, could have been a major disruption.  City knew this and it looked (and still looks) like they tried to take advantage of it with a derisory offer.  We played hardball and probably got the best we could given the circumstances.

How things may or may not have turned out had we kept him around until summer we'll never know.

I cant believe the lack of respect people are showing Given on here. Very poor.

From the first week of the window City were on his tail.....it was only a matter of time.

Plus, he deserves much better than this club currnetly has to offer him.....whether Man City is the right club for him is up for debate but after the loyalty and consistency he's given us over the years theres no need to slate him.

And anyway, it took us until Friday the 29th of January to sign anyone contracted to a club, whos to say that would've been different if Given went a couple of weeks ago?

All the best Shay- A true hero.