Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Thoughts on the deal itself:

Fine, he's gone. A player swap would have been ideal but we all know that those kinds of deals are notoriously hard to work out so as long as we got an acceptable sum (which I trust we have,) it's not a big deal. The only thing now is that money MUST be reinvested into the squad immediately. If not, the pitchforks come out tomorrow evening.

Thoughts on Shay Given:

Emotionally, I feel devastated. I think we've all been taking Shay for granted for a long time now. Despite the fact that he's been blatantly too good for us for several years now, we'd come to think that he'd never leave. For that reason I feel like he never really got the appreciation he deserved. A lot of people got on his back whenever he had a rare downturn in form, and the "is Given world class or not?" Debate is surely one of the most idiotic conversations that's ever gone on in this board. I feel like I would if my lass left me for some blinged out kid with a Porsche.

Rationally? He can go f*** himself. I refuse to cave into the "he's done enough for us, good luck to him" attitude. Fact of the matter is he knows as well as anyone that we're well in the s*** and that the very survival of this club rests on the next few months. Is it really that hard for him to put his move off till the summer? What the f*** is he going to do by moving to Man City 6 months early, help them finish the season at tenth? He's ditched us in our hour of greatest need for a club that won't get UEFA football this season and might not even get it next season, never mind the Champions league. The truth is that he's just no longer bothered with us anymore, he's nothing more than a rat abandoning a sinking ship and pocketing a bit of cash on the way. He cares absolutely nothing for this club or its fans and I refuse to care about him.

I hope he breaks his leg or gets replaced with Buffon in the summer. Preferably both.

f***ing asshole.

Im well pissed off too man but what the fuck you hope he breaks his leg?

Fine, he's gone. A player swap would have been ideal but we all know that those kinds of deals are notoriously hard to work out so as long as we got an acceptable sum (which I trust we have,) it's not a big deal. The only thing now is that money MUST be reinvested into the squad immediately. If not, the pitchforks come out tomorrow evening.

Thoughts on Shay Given:

Emotionally, I feel devastated. I think we've all been taking Shay for granted for a long time now. Despite the fact that he's been blatantly too good for us for several years now, we'd come to think that he'd never leave. For that reason I feel like he never really got the appreciation he deserved. A lot of people got on his back whenever he had a rare downturn in form, and the "is Given world class or not?" Debate is surely one of the most idiotic conversations that's ever gone on in this board. I feel like I would if my lass left me for some blinged out kid with a Porsche.

Rationally? He can go f*** himself. I refuse to cave into the "he's done enough for us, good luck to him" attitude. Fact of the matter is he knows as well as anyone that we're well in the s*** and that the very survival of this club rests on the next few months. Is it really that hard for him to put his move off till the summer? What the f*** is he going to do by moving to Man City 6 months early, help them finish the season at tenth? He's ditched us in our hour of greatest need for a club that won't get UEFA football this season and might not even get it next season, never mind the Champions league. The truth is that he's just no longer bothered with us anymore, he's nothing more than a rat abandoning a sinking ship and pocketing a bit of cash on the way. He cares absolutely nothing for this club or its fans and I refuse to care about him.

I hope he breaks his leg or gets replaced with Buffon in the summer. Preferably both.

f***ing asshole.

Im well pissed off too man but what the f*** you hope he breaks his leg?

I wasn't aware that wishing ill on someone in my head was illegal.

Thoughts on Shay Given:

f***ing asshole.

Illegal?

Oldtype doesn't really want him to break his leg I'm sure. It's like when you see your ex moving on when you're still hung up on her and you tell people that you hate her. You don't hate her, you just want her to hurt like you're still hurting. It'll heal in time though I'm sure.

I'm not that  bothered either way, I was a big fan of Given but he's no longer one of us. We'll carry on without him.

To say its all down to money is a little bit disrespectful to Shay I think to be honest. nufc.com's view on him is a tad harsh as well I think.  He's been so loyal to this club, the perfect pro, and I think he deserves to go where he wants to go, regardless of what anyone thinks.

He handed in a transfer request because Harper got the smallest of runs in the team ahead of him a few years back.  He bitched and moaned about wanting to leave through his lawyer.  He's obviously made it clear to Man City that he'll put as much pressure as neccesary on use to allow him to leave in January.  Hence Man City's insulting offers and the reported pittance we've ended up getting for him.  He's been a model pro for the most part but he's let himself and us down recently IMO and frankly I don't wish him well.

I knew this was coming, but it still hurt a little when I saw the pic of him in the Manchester City shirt.

This is definitely a conflicting moment. On the one hand, I want to feel grateful for the years of service, but on the other I'm pissed off at him for the way that he left.

But, at the end of the day, we have Harper in net now and he wants to be with Newcastle and genuinely loves the club, so I choose to feel happy for him more than anything else.

I think it's a bit sad the abuse Given is getting tbh.

Sure, he could have done things in a different way that would make it easier for us to stomach, but the guy has been an absolute legend for us over the years.

If you have a good marriage for 11 years, then you catch her blowing Gordon from down the road, i think you every right to throw abuse at her.

She isn't blowing Gordon down the road though, she is getting fingered by the Managing Director she met on an internet forum. Ok he isn't the greatest bloke in the world but his prospects are still better than yours.

No, she's getting fingered by Michael Carroll the chav lottery winner, and no doubt his druggaddled loser mates "Spikey" and "Gonzo" will be allowed a ride aswell. Slag.

That's pretty close to the perfect anaolgy.

Thanks for the good times Shay, but you've left a seriously bitter taste in the mouth with the manner of your departure. Here's hoping Shitty really do sign Cassillas or Buffon and he rots. At least he'll have his massive wedge, and substitutes get winners medals, don't they...?

http://picsrv.mcfc.co.uk/?fif=/mcfc/img_502_12912_478.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=150&hei=150&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

The prospect of an exciting future at Manchester City was key to Shay Given deciding to make his move to the Blues.

The Irish international keeper signed for City on Sunday evening, and mcfc.co.uk sat down with him afterwards to find out more about his decision to move here after 12 distinguished years on Tyneside.

“It's exciting times at Manchester City with the new owners and this manager,” Shay told us, “there are big plans for the Club. I am very excited to be joining and delighted that Manchester City wanted my services, I'm happy that the two clubs could come to an agreement.

“I have two young kids, I had just moved house in Newcastle and there were a few things that could have made me stay there. I have a lot of friends there, and the supporters there are fantastic. They have been great to me for so many years, and I thank them for that. But I just felt that this was an opportunity for me to come to a club that in my opinion are really going to be going places.

“I am even really excited to be going training on Monday, it's a new chapter in my life and one I am looking forward to.

“The profile of the Club has changed dramatically, and there are already some fantastic players here. It looks like some good players will come here in the future as well, and I am sure the fans must be on the edge of their seats to see who comes here. There is already the nucleus of a very good team here, and I hope I can add to that. I am just delighted that they have chosen me to strengthen their goalkeeping department as well.”

I also feel kind of insulted that he's left us without releasing some sort of statement thanking the fans.

Like I said, doesn't give a toss about us or the club anymore.

Fuck me, are you HTT?

I also feel kind of insulted that he's left us without releasing some sort of statement thanking the fans.

f*** me, are you HTT?

No.

Next question?

f*** me, are you HTT?

No.

Next question?

Why are your toys out of the pram because a player who has worked harder for us than any other in the last ten years has taken an extremely lucrative transfer with the potential to win something for the first time in his career? When answering, bear in mind it won't damage the first team very much, and could be the difference between us getting some more outfield players and not.

Shay's still a ledge to me, don't really care if he was a bit of a nob for his last two weeks. The 11 years before it make up for it. Thanks for the memories.

http://picsrv.mcfc.co.uk/?fif=/mcfc/img_502_12912_478.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=150&hei=150&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

The prospect of an exciting future at Manchester City was key to Shay Given deciding to make his move to the Blues.

The Irish international keeper signed for City on Sunday evening, and mcfc.co.uk sat down with him afterwards to find out more about his decision to move here after 12 distinguished years on Tyneside.

“It's exciting times at Manchester City with the new owners and this manager,” Shay told us, “there are big plans for the Club. I am very excited to be joining and delighted that Manchester City wanted my services, I'm happy that the two clubs could come to an agreement.

“I have two young kids, I had just moved house in Newcastle and there were a few things that could have made me stay there. I have a lot of friends there, and the supporters there are fantastic. They have been great to me for so many years, and I thank them for that. But I just felt that this was an opportunity for me to come to a club that in my opinion are really going to be going places.

“I am even really excited to be going training on Monday, it's a new chapter in my life and one I am looking forward to.

“The profile of the Club has changed dramatically, and there are already some fantastic players here. It looks like some good players will come here in the future as well, and I am sure the fans must be on the edge of their seats to see who comes here. There is already the nucleus of a very good team here, and I hope I can add to that. I am just delighted that they have chosen me to strengthen their goalkeeping department as well.”

Fucking legend of a guy, really sad to see him go as hes been one of my idols, model professional. Good luck to him though and also good luck to Harps, hes deserved this chance for a long time. I just hope we can reinvest the money today on a left back and defensive midfielder.

f*** me, are you HTT?

No.

Next question?

Why are your toys out of the pram because a player who has worked harder for us than any other in the last ten years has taken an extremely lucrative transfer with the potential to win something for the first time in his career? When answering, bear in mind it won't damage the first team very much, and could be the difference between us getting some more outfield players and not.

Shay's still a ledge to me, don't really care if he was a bit of a nob for his last two weeks. The 11 years before it make up for it. Thanks for the memories.

Read my post at the top of the page. Like I said, if I can fall out of love with Kevin Keegan for leaving us in the shit, I'm certainly more than capable enough of falling out of love with Shay Given.

f*** me, are you HTT?

No.

Next question?

Read my post at the top of the page. Like I said, if I can fall out of love with Kevin Keegan for leaving us in the shit, I'm certainly more than capable enough of falling out of love with Shay Given.

Fine, I don't think fall out of love with either though.

Guest daveaha

Thoughts on Shay Given:

f***ing asshole.

No, but to think that he has done a great service over the years for us, it's very harsh...

f*** me, are you HTT?

No.

Next question?

Read my post at the top of the page. Like I said, if I can fall out of love with Kevin Keegan for leaving us in the s***, I'm certainly more than capable enough of falling out of love with Shay Given.

Fine, I don't think fall out of love with either though.

Your choice, I'm hardly in a position to mind control you.

Fee is base of nearly £6m, but with a series of add ons over next 3 years, probably appearance related and based on how successful Man City are in next 3 years.

Excellent service for 11 years, wish him well. Slightly bitter taste over the manner of departure - and the club he has gone to. No doubt in my mind that the statements by lawyers etc. were released to engineer a move, and Man City had made it clear beforehand that they were interested. WIsh he'd gone to a top club though - the earliest Man City could possibly win anything in Europe is 2011 - can't see Shay being first choice in 2011!