Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Heneage

Honestly never thought I'd see the day Shay Given left Newcastle other than with a big send off and a testimonial.

A damning indictment on the disgraceful way the club is being run. I'll be totally gutted if/when this goes through.

Nowt to do with Shays 10 mates on the pitch as well?

Course he'll sign it.

He's very loyal you know. Yes, very loyal indeed. 

Could have been Englands number 1 but he decided to stay here because he is loyal, dont you know.

;)

Funny thing is with the state of England goal keepers at the moment he probably could have been..

Wish it was $7M + Elano- I don't want to lose Given, hes top-class. But I guess people are right, if we can take that money, reinvest and hopefully build from it. Okay then I guess.

We swap Given for Elano & Johnson and I'd be chuffed. NEVER EVER going to happen mind you.

£8-10million is a decent  deal for a 32 yr old keeper who wants out and who we can cover for in any case. Shay has to look out for his interests and we have to look out for ours. 

Its a decent deal if it was Everton, Villa, dare I say it Spurs but when its £14m for a 29 year old crock striker City bidding them you want to be looking closer to £15m imo or at least £8-10m with a decent player included.

Guest northwestmag1892

Is Harper ANYWHERE near the same league as Shay though? I personally don't think so. There was mention about Paddy Kenny coming in to replace Shay which, quite frankly, is laughable - nor could he lace Steve H's boots either. However, I am not sure that Harper is a natural replacement. Yes he is very loyal but he could have gone out and found a new club if he was so desperate to play first team football and I am sure he would have got premier league employment.

£8-10million is a decent  deal for a 32 yr old keeper who wants out and who we can cover for in any case. Shay has to look out for his interests and we have to look out for ours. 

Its a decent deal if it was Everton, Villa, dare I say it Spurs but when its £14m for a 29 year old crock striker City bidding them you want to be looking closer to £15m imo or at least £8-10m with a decent player included.

I'd prefer £10m from City to £9m from Spurs.

Guest northwestmag1892

I'd prefer £10m from City to £9m from Spurs.

Yes quite.. and it has nowt to do with the additional million from citeh.

Is Harper ANYWHERE near the same league as Shay though? I personally don't think so. There was mention about Paddy Kenny coming in to replace Shay which, quite frankly, is laughable - nor could he lace Steve H's boots either. However, I am not sure that Harper is a natural replacement. Yes he is very loyal but he could have gone out and found a new club if he was so desperate to play first team football and I am sure he would have got premier league employment.

Harper and Given have different strengths and weaknesses, Given is the better shot stopper but Harper is much better at using his area rather than standing on his line. 

Harper rarely lets us down when he gets a few games under his belt.

Guest sittingontheball

I think Crumpy's called this one right. Its payday for Shay. Citeh are a mess too, and he may find himself going through managers and team mates as fast as he does here. There's a big difference between going there and say Arsenal. He's been a good un though, so thanks and all the best.

Center midfielder please! And not an injured loanee this time....

I think I have come to the conclusion I would rather have a bigger squad and hopefully stay up versus keeping a player we all love for sentimental reasons and going down.

Leaving this late in the Window though scares me as we have proven time and time again we cannot get good deals done with days to spare.

I'm not really very pleased for you that you think a club of our standing with one of the biggest support in the country is a selling club again.

What do you think we will do when the crowds drop to 30,000 or less ?

I think we would average higher than that in the championship.

Unless there is a good start, plus consistent winning performances, you'll be wrong ; and attendances will decline further the longer the club stays down...

Times have changed now, and money is getting tight...

We should really play hardball with City over this one. Now that Cudicini has signed for the spuds, Shay would be their only target left willing to join them. If we don't get what we want by today we should say 15m cash, take it or leave it, and pull out by tomorrow if they fuck about. They won't have a choice but to pay it, and we'll still have 5 days to conclude our deals from there on.

Itll probably happen when its too late for us to spend the money this window

Just like milner. The club are getting good at this.

Itll probably happen when its too late for us to spend the money this window

Just like milner. The club are getting good at this.

You are obviously a fairly young fan - they've been doing things like this for YEARS...

Back in 76, they sold Macdonald on the eve of the season AFTER all the season ticket money was in.

Ditto 87 with Beardsley, 88 with Gazza(although we knew he was going).

We were linked with all sorts of players in 2003, including Emerton(then at Feyenoord), but ended up with Bowyer on a free - and  this after reaching the CL qualifiers....

The more things change, the more they stay the same......

....Oh, and I forgot(how could I!?) ; Shepherd fired SBR in SEPT - just after the Transfer window closed in 2004, so the next manager couldn't sign players until Jan.....

Let's not forget Mr Andrew Cole either tbh.

deal was tied up for ferdinand apparently but they pulled out after a bad run dropped them into relegation bother.

it was well known by easter that he'd be signing in the summer.

....Oh, and I forgot(how could I!?) ; Shepherd fired SBR in SEPT - just after the Transfer window closed in 2004, so the next manager couldn't sign players until Jan.....

He was flogged as part of a plan that the manager was happy with.  We replaced the c*** with Les Ferdinand.  You cant compare that with the Woodgate situation.

He was flogged as part of a plan that the manager was happy with.  We replaced the c*** with Les Ferdinand.  You cant compare that with the Woodgate situation.

Agreed. Getting back to Given though, as with Milner wanting away it looks like we may have to cash in, but hopefully we can do the same as Cole and use the money wisely (which may well mean having to hold fire and wait on a player like we did with Sir Les).