Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

You're claiming that Given has left us and it has nothing to do with money.  That's clearly not true, otherwise he would have waited for a club who is more likely to win things but less likely to give him £120k a week. If he's the best in the league, surely the top 4 would want him?

He left because NUFC are unlikely to be trophy challangers any time soon. (He's getting on a bit just incase you haven't noticed.)

He left for Man City because from next season they will be aiming to win something.

I don't give too flying monkies how much he's getting at City.

And BTW, engineering a move to Arsenal? :lol: None of the top 4 or 5 clubs came in for him because they are clearly happy with their goalkeepers. So that leaves Man City as the best next thing. (Not bad for a club aiming to be the best in the world. :rolleyes:)

Eh? Why the need to get personal?

Because you're being an arse, as usual.

You're claiming that Given has left us and it has nothing to do with money.  That's clearly not true, otherwise he would have waited for a club who is more likely to win things but less likely to give him £120k a week. If he's the best in the league, surely the top 4 would want him?

He left because NUFC are unlikely to be trophy challangers any time soon. (He's getting on a bit just incase you haven't noticed.)

He left for Man City because from next season they will be aiming to win something.

And BTW, engineering a move to Arsenal? :lol: None of the top 4 or 5 clubs came in for him because they are clearly happy with their goalkeepers. So that leaves Man City as the best next thing. (Not bad for a club aiming to be the best in the world. :rolleyes:)

I'm being an arse giving my opinion, and you feel the need to call me a little kid? Want me to explain irony?

Shay is just another football mercenary and what makes it all the more difficult to accept is that he is actually one of the good guys, a proper professional. Oh well, we move on. Thanks Shay. Now f*** off.

What a load of tosh. He moved to Man City because they're way more ambitious than us. End of.

The manner of his exit, the timing etc. he's just another mercenary, they all are at the end of the day. From now on I'll not be putting any stock in any of our players, Shay is the last straw.

The timing of his exit? Sorry, but er... he was off well before today's game.  And what's with the manner? He released a statement through his lawyer and get on with his football, unlike that french twat. He had to hand in a transfer request because time was running out.(dealine of transfer window)

Man City are going places, we are not. Do you dispute that? 

This. Nowdays you gotta have cash to be ambitious. City had a good squad before the Arabs as well and probably had ambition of challenging the top4 one day, and with oil money, they can now actually walk the walk. Sad to say it, but if you want to break into the top4 without waiting 5 years for youngsters to break through, you gotta splash it.

Thanks for  the reminder actually. I totally forgot that.  Well...that too refutes Shearergol's  "Man City weren't ambitious until someone gave them an open cheque book" comment. :lol:

Deary me.

Shay is just another football mercenary and what makes it all the more difficult to accept is that he is actually one of the good guys, a proper professional. Oh well, we move on. Thanks Shay. Now f*** off.

What a load of tosh. He moved to Man City because they're way more ambitious than us. End of.

The manner of his exit, the timing etc. he's just another mercenary, they all are at the end of the day. From now on I'll not be putting any stock in any of our players, Shay is the last straw.

The timing of his exit? Sorry, but er... he was off well before today's game.  And what's with the manner? He released a statement through his lawyer and get on with his football, unlike that french twat. He had to hand in a transfer request because time was running out.(dealine of transfer window)

This. Nowdays you gotta have cash to be ambitious. City had a good squad before the Arabs as well and probably had ambition of challenging the top4 one day, and with oil money, they can now actually walk the walk. Sad to say it, but if you want to break into the top4 without waiting 5 years for youngsters to break through, you gotta splash it.

Thanks for  the reminder actually. I totally forgot that.   Well...that too refutes Shearergol's  "Man City weren't ambitious until someone gave them an open cheque book" comment. :lol:

Deary me.

I forgot their challenge for honours too. Deary me.

Vassell and Dickov unfront were immense.

I'm being an arse giving my opinion, and you feel the need to call me a little kid? Want me to explain irony?

Got any comments on the rest of the quote or not?

Guest Anth.Nufc

Bloke on Betfair forum reckons Jo on loan could be part of the deal....

:lol:

A body I guess.

SSN think he is going to Everton on loan.

Thanks for  the reminder actually. I totally forgot that.   Well...that too refutes Shearergol's  "Man City weren't ambitious until someone gave them an open cheque book" comment. :lol:

Deary me.

I forgot their challenge for honours too. Deary me.

Vassell and Dickov unfront were immense.

:idiot2: Yeah, I'm sure they were planning to stick with those two to lead them to glory! :lol:

Progress takes time. You don't think that you can actually change your entire squad over night, do you? :lol:

Shame he never got a testimonial like. Maybe if we stay up him & Harper could have a joint one, Newcastle v Man City. Chance to say thank-you properly.

He doesn't deserve one.

He's left, he's a prick, i for one hope he gets another lengthy injury and go off the boil for an age after, see how long Citeh stick with him.

could have waited shay.

left for greed imo.

as already said. the rats are first off the sinking ship.

bottler.

Yep, just like his previous manager. He set the example, the rest will now follow.

so sad to see this happen,

but for the money we are getting, at this point where it is very needed, perhaps it is the right time to part ways.

Good luck to the lad, ill welcome him back with arms open should he want away from city anytime soon :)

Ah well. :(

Hardly surprising you're leaving us now Shay, especially when you get dog's abuse for simply having reached your own breaking point. You've been a valiant and reliable stalwart over some of the most difficult times of the past decade.

All the best to you. :thup:

Hardly surprising you're leaving us now Shay, especially when you get dog's abuse for simply having reached your own breaking point. You've been a valiant and reliable stalwart over some of the most difficult times of the past decade.

Indeed. I wish him nothing but the best. He's been through some very shit times lately and it's no surprise that he wants to leave. There's nothing wrong with this decision even though he's professed his love for the club and the city many, many times. He's earnt our support whatever he does, to be honest.

Seconded.

He's going to a club who will next season be challenging a top 4 place.

If that's "jumping ship", then people need to get a grip.

Could do it at the end of season

At the end of the season, Man City might have decided to splash the cash on someone like Buffon or whoever. You have to grab the opportunity when you can.