Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Jimenez where are you  :weep: :weep: :weep:

these deals are ShXT :angry:

We'll be fine with the dream team of Ashley, Llambas and Kinnear man.  :frantic:

Sad to see him go, could have released a statement through his agent thanking the fans.  Done his time here, we have cover and we needed the dosh.

Sad end but i'd rather have players who are here for the fight.

Where did this 5.9 mil figure come from?

Paper, must be true.

Guest Magpie007

Whoever is responsible for negotiations at the club wants sacked if the stories about Shay are true.

£5.9 M over 4 years is a total joke – do no one  tell them that they are the richest club in the world and happy to pay way over the odds for players if you just keep telling them NO he’s not for sale.

He was our player and under contract we were in a strong position to broker a deal in our favour player + cash or large fee whatever suited us best. Now we have had a bid turned down for Johnson as they do not want to sell him. While they were chasing Shay we should have said we wanted Johnson and any sale hinged on him coming to us.

Also what happened to the 2 loan players that we had agreed deals with and where are the other 2 players that JFK said should be signing before the window closed.  :rant:

Guest icemanblue

So we've sold our best player at a reduced price?

And then failed to reinvest it on a player who might keep us up?

Nice one.

This.

I don't know if the fee banded around is true (if it is then that's disgraceful), but I do know the way we "negotiated" in this deal was always going to knock a few million of the transfer fee. You don't let a want-away player speak to a proposed club before they've offered a fee you're comfortable with ffs! Puts you in the shit when they come back to negotiate and there's no way back..

I don't know if the fee banded around is true

Would be nice if someone revealed it, just to make sure.

Your point being..?

When we agreed to let Given talk to City before agreeing a transfer fee I expressed my concerns about the wisdom of the decision as it would have a negative impact on our negotiation position.

Different paper reports now suggest we have got a derisory fee for him. I can't validate these figures, but this is coming from various sources and there is no smoke without fire.

I also know that if the fee reported would have been 15 million people like you would be praising "the system" for how well it negotiates for outgoing players.

Is it inconceivable they fucked this one up RM?

Guest north shields lad

Goalkeepers always go for less, he is geeting on, although for a keeper still in the middle of his career, and he had put in a transfer request. 6 million isnt that bad, if we had managed to spend it.

Oh and the window is still open to loan someone.

I'm still wondering how an offer of £5m is considered derisory, when £5.9m is acceptable.

Could be something to do with the fact the £5.9m figure came from a paper people would laugh at if it was anything positive.

Sad thing is, this paints the deal in a negative light so the figure is now gospel  :no:

I don't understand why there wasn't a player included in the deal.

Because it was concluded close to the deadline, and involving another player would be another hurdle.

If the player coming our way backed out at the last minute, Man City would risk not getting Given.

Also, Man City weren't especially keen on giving us one of their decent players.

I said weeks ago that I wouldn't accept any amount of money because it wouldn't be reinvested and the only players I would have taken were Robinho and Ireland because they're the only ones at Citeh who come close to Shay's worth.

£6m is disgusting. Guess that idea of the club being brilliant at getting money out of clubs is another load of shite.

I don't understand why there wasn't a player included in the deal.

i dont understand why we let him go and THEN tried to do the deal for Johnson. totally baffling.

This is the mystery of the day for me.

Guest Howaythetoon

The reason why a fee hasn't been mentioned is because of the staggering amount they've paid for him, they basically spent the Kaka money on him and with the recession and dying in Africa they don't want the criticism that would follow so we all agreed to not disclose the fee. That's why we haven't bought anyone else, Ashley got lost under the pile of money and is still under there. The good news though is that Ashley now has his money back.