Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

I bet City are fucking pissing themselves tonight.

'Give us Shay, you can have Johnson.'

'Yeah, okay. Here's Shay.'

'Thanks.'

'Can we have Johnson then?'

'No. :lol:'

I'm overthinking it, I know...but it makes us looks like fools, imo.

The reason why a fee hasn't been mentioned is because of the staggering amount they've paid for him, they basically spent the Kaka money on him and with the recession and dying in Africa they don't want the criticism that would follow so we all agreed to not disclose the fee. That's why we haven't bought anyone else, Ashley got lost under the pile of money and is still under there. The good news though is that Ashley now has his money back.

:lol:

I don't understand why there wasn't a player included in the deal.

Because it was concluded close to the deadline, and involving another player would be another hurdle.

If the player coming our way backed out at the last minute, Man City would risk not getting Given.

Also, Man City weren't especially keen on giving us one of their decent players.

We had the negotiating advantage, I think. They needed Given in by a specific time so they could include him in the UEFA cup squad. They were obviously keen to sign him, and probably couldn't have gotten another keeper of similar talent from somewhere else signed in time. So why not be firm? Why not demand Johnson or another player is included as a part of the deal? Worst case scenario is that Given stays until July.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I don't understand why there wasn't a player included in the deal.

He can't place a player on a roulette table!

I think Given has made a mistake in leaving Newcastle.

What is the common attribute of the keepers in the top three teams?

Impeccable distribution. Footballing ability with the ball at feet, good throwing, an ability to read the game and know whether it is an appropriate time to bullet the ball to a winger on the half way line, or casually roll it out to a full back for possession-type football.

Indeed, in two of these keepers - Van der Saar and Almunia - we have players who's only real ability is in this regard: neither are anything like as good a shot stopper as Shay. If Man City want to be a great team, they've bought the wrong player. Shay looked so good for us now because a shot stopper flourishes in a bad team; but when he has to start thinking about how to use the ball, rather than just being relieved the opposition attack has been temporarily dulled, what is he going to do?

Shay is a % guy who works if you need to stop a high volume of opposition chances, but I don't think he has the distribution, concentration or presence to be a good keeper in a top quality team where the keeper has more touches with his feet than his hands. There will be fewer defenders around him so quantitatively more one-on-ones and close range shots; aspects in which he is relatively weaker.

Can he learn? Keegan tried to get Shay to start playing it short and building from the back, but he never really did so well. He has this bizarre 'last minute' mentality whereby he makes a pressurised kick just before he's closed down rather than positively distributing the ball.

Of course, the caveat there we haven't had a defender who an distribute the ball properly since Bramble (and there I apply the term defender loosely).

In essence, the top 4 keeper is a big imposing footballer, rather than a shot, spry agile chap.

I think Given has made a mistake in leaving Newcastle.

What is the common attribute of the keepers in the top three teams?

Impeccable distribution. Footballing ability with the ball at feet, good throwing, an ability to read the game and know whether it is an appropriate time to bullet the ball to a winger on the half way line, or casually roll it out to a full back for possession-type football.

Indeed, in two of these keepers - Van der Saar and Almunia - we have players who's only real ability is in this regard: neither are anything like as god a shot stopper as Shay. If Man City want to be a great team, they've bought the wrong player. Shay looked so good for us now because a shot stopper flourishes in a bad team; but when he has to start thinking about how to use the ball, rather than just being relieved the opposition attack has been temporarily dulled, what is he going to do?

Shay is a % guy who works if you need to stop a high volume of opposition chances, but I don't think he has the distribution, concentration or presence to be a good keeper in a top quality team where the keeper has more touches with his feet than his hands. There will be fewer defenders around him so quantitatively more one-on-ones and close range shots; aspects in which he is relatively weaker.

Can he learn? Keegan tried to get Shay to start playing it short and building from the back, but he never really did so well. He has this bizarre 'last minute' mentality whereby he makes a pressurised kick just before he's closed down rather than positively distributing the ball.

Of course, the caveat there we haven't had a defender who an distribute the ball properly since Bramble (and there I apply the term defender loosely).

In essence, the top 4 keeper is a big imposing footballer, rather than a shot, spry agile chap.

One thing I did appreciate on Sunday was Harper throwing the ball out to the wide players. Started off a lot of good moves and ensured we kept posession. Shay did like to hoof and hope a bit too much for my taste.

Funny I was saying the same about Harper's distribution on Sunday, it was good, instead of just hoofing it upfield and hoping for the best like Shay increasingly tended to do.

I think the master of the goalie distribution is David James, shame about his bloopers.

Funny I was saying the same about Harper's distribution on Sunday, it was good, instead of just hoofing it upfield and hoping for the best like Shay increasingly tended to do.

I think the master of the goalie distribution is David James, shame about his bloopers.

Reina is good at getting rid of the ball quick and setting up attacking options for Liverpool.

Has Shay said anything abiout leaving? Zoggy has, he said the right things prob don't mean it but he said it.

Have not heard oot from Shay at all..

He did, only on the Man City site though. Does not make me feel any better about the manner and timing of his departure, personally. Here you go.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6626314&siteid=&pageno=2&newscategory=&frommonth=12&fromyear=2008&tomonth=2&toyear=2009

“I have two young kids, I had just moved house in Newcastle and there were a few things that could have made me stay there. I have a lot of friends there, and the supporters there are fantastic. They have been great to me for so many years, and I thank them for that. But I just felt that this was an opportunity for me to come to a club that in my opinion are really going to be going places."

Couldn't wait 5 months Shay?

They might not have wanted him in 5 months.

Why not? At worst he could have signed a pre-contract or something.

Everyone who seeks to defend him mentions how Man City would be after someone like Buffon instead if they left it till the Summer. Based on what? Who is to say they won't try for him again then anyway? Who is to say they couldn't have tried for him in the window just gone?

If he wanted to leave in the Summer I'd have held no grudges against him. He's a quality keeper who could have had his pick from a number of far better clubs than us if he left it till the Summer, Man City probably included in that. Instead he's left us when we needed players to fight for the cause and stick around the most. No doubt he doesn't rate Kinnear and doesn't see us going anywhere but I just can't see why he couldn't have waited a few months just to help keep us up.

I find it hard to believe that a player like Shay Given would be so insecure about his abilities that he wouldn't think he could get a move to a decent Premiership club five months down the road.

He's ditched us like a rat on a sinking ship, pure and simple.

Everyone who seeks to defend him mentions how Man City would be after someone like Buffon instead if they left it till the Summer. Based on what? Who is to say they won't try for him again then anyway? Who is to say they couldn't have tried for him in the window just gone?

If he wanted to leave in the Summer I'd have held no grudges against him. He's a quality keeper who could have had his pick from a number of far better clubs than us if he left it till the Summer, Man City probably included in that. Instead he's left us when we needed players to fight for the cause and stick around the most. No doubt he doesn't rate Kinnear and doesn't see us going anywhere but I just can't see why he couldn't have waited a few months just to help keep us up.

You can't guarantee they would though can you? Its easy to see "why not sign a pre-contract" "why not do this" but if he told them to wait until the summer they could have quite easily told him to fuck off and sign someone else. Its not as if they are skint.

Guest The Libertine

This club fucks everything up so it doesnt surprise me that we have sold our best player to the richest club in the world for next to nothing.

and the selling of shit players for way more than they're worth?

this is the only deal which isnt very good.

Guest Heneage

Couldn't agree more, you won't get a better keeper for that price. And City's season is hardly set for Champions League. Would have been nice for him to have that last game at SJP.

This club fucks everything up so it doesnt surprise me that we have sold our best player to the richest club in the world for next to nothing.

and the selling of shit players for way more than they're worth?

this is the only deal which isnt very good.

Milner, and... ?