The Future of NUFC

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Well, Im 26 and sure, I wasnt around for the really bad times of the 80

On a wider point (ie football in general), is anyone else who remembers the time starting to think that the 80s weren't actually that bad after all?

There might have been 15-20,000 in grounds on a frequent basis, but at least they all gave a fuck and weren't just doing something to keep little Jonty and India entertained for a couple of hours before the theatre.

Well, Im 26 and sure, I wasnt around for the really bad times of the 80

On a wider point (ie football in general), is anyone else who remembers the time starting to think that the 80s weren't actually that bad after all?

There might have been 15-20,000 in grounds on a frequent basis, but at least they all gave a f*** and weren't just doing something to keep little Jonty and India entertained for a couple of hours before the theatre.

I agree Brummie, the football seemed more entertaining, the atmosphere and day out were often more fun - it's all so sanitised nowadays.

I quite enjoy watching Scottish football on Setanta as it looks more like our game did back then and you can almost identify with the players as fellow human beings as opposed to the 22 full (mainly foreign) internationals of a Premier league game.

Many on here (but not many I actually see at the match) are talking about giving up attending next season - citing Ashley as their excuse as he's to blame for all our woes and the world recession too - but frankly most of those who will go are the perpetual whingers or those who jumped on the fashion bandwagon a few years ago - so we may be left with just the real fans again.

Guest SirLes

I think the standard has improved quite a lot, I recently took in Hearts v Rangers and it reminded me a lot of the 80's watching Newcastle with Mirandinha etc.

I was a little more exciting to be honest, few honest tackles, less play acting and it still  feels connected in some ways to the fans.

Think Newcastle opitomises the current bad state the english game is in regards being so far reality its untrue, the players used to try to shrug off the I dont care tags, but now they opening seem to not care that they are taking the piss week in and week out with some of there performances, not to mention their little injuries that can take upto 6months to cure.

All in all this is the first time Im questioning can I be bothered to line the pockets of these players who seem more interested in updating there facebook pictures, drinking with rival players to all hours rather then performing for once a week (big ask) for the people that are actually living in the real world, trying to pay for 'so called entertainment'.

The very players that the majority of fans see as not being good enough are in the eyes of the club being touted as the ones we need to look to.

The sport and the club stinks at the moment, at the the fact, there is actually no communication with the fans at all.

Summary- club and players think the fans will just rock up no matter what and its easy picking for the Fat man at the top, but hey we are all used to fat men aren't we.

Its still a level playing field for everybody.

Utter bollocks.

wel. 10 years ago we had a manager who had won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards ?

Do you feel that we now have a more qualified manager to produce better or more successful football, from a Newcastle United point of view ?

We also got rid of the fat bastard, so we should be better off still. Has your hindsight opinions kicked in yet ?

Or do you just have absolutely nothing to contribute, as usual.

If only he could remember what he was supposed to be talking about.

The above drivel is supposed to prove something about football being a "level playing field".

Tell us, Ozzie, in keeping with the topic of the thread. Do you think, under Mike Ashley, we can look forward to at least matching the european qualifications, Champions League qualifications, that we did under the Halls and Shepherd did for 15 years ?

Guest black n white

The above drivel is supposed to prove something about football being a "level playing field".

Tell us, Ozzie, in keeping with the topic of the thread. Do you think, under Mike Ashley, we can look forward to at least matching the european qualifications, Champions League qualifications, that we did under the Halls and Shepherd did for 15 years ?

not that i want to start a debate

for arguments sake what would have happened if freddy was still in charge and could'nt

afford to repay the debt due to the credit crunch, depending on who these loans were from

we could of been taken over by the taxpayer.....would we be better off or is fatty our saviour

for arguments sake what would have happened if the Glaziers are still in charge of manu for a while and can't

afford to repay the debt due to the credit crunch, depending on who these loans were from

we could of been taken over by the taxpayer.....would they be better off or are the yanks their saviour

I've really no idea.

Why is a thread about the future being spoiled by the same old arguments about the past?

I've only asked mandiarse what sort of future, on the pitch, he thinks we have under Ashley.

If you aren't happy with his response, why don't you ask him instead ?

for arguments sake what would have happened if the Glaziers are still in charge of manu for a while and can't

we could of been taken over by the taxpayer.....would they be better off or are the yanks their saviour

I've really no idea.

First sensible thing I've ever seen you post.  No arguments here.  :clap:

I've really no idea.

I always post sensible stuff  ;D

If we were the only solvent club in the country, does it mean we win anything ?

Why is a thread about the future being spoiled by the same old arguments about the past?

I've only asked mandiarse what sort of future, on the pitch, he thinks we have under Ashley.

Instead of what?

I've really no idea.

No but we could.  If we were insolvent on the other hand...

Guest Howaythetoon

It will get a whole lot worse before it gets a whole lot better. The club itself will always have a future and a good one too someday, but not for a few years yet.

As for the standard of football today, it's the poorest it has been since the Premiership began and while the standard of foreign player has improved, the standard of homegrown players has dropped dramatically in my opinion.

I agree with Benwell Lad, I couldn't care less about the quality of the product and would actually welcome a collapse of the PL product and football as a whole.

Instead of what?

instead of me

I've really no idea.

No but we could.  If we were insolvent on the other hand...

aha, so THAT'S the Grand Plan  :frantic:

Instead of what?

instead of me

I don't think I asked you. :dontknow:

Instead of what?

instead of me

I don't think I asked you. :dontknow:

Well, I presumed you mean't me when you complained about the thread being ruined, because I don't think it was me.

I'm still waiting for Ozzie's reply mind. Nowt knew there then.

It will get a whole lot worse before it gets a whole lot better. The club itself will always have a future and a good one too someday, but not for a few years yet.

As for the standard of football today, it's the poorest it has been since the Premiership began and while the standard of foreign player has improved, the standard of homegrown players has dropped dramatically in my opinion.

I agree with Benwell Lad, I couldn't care less about the quality of the product and would actually welcome a collapse of the PL product and football as a whole.

I share many of your views on this.