Falling apart - latest from True Faith

Tooj

never mind, your good old days of 2nd division football and not taking any chances are almost back, courtesy of good old Mike.

As spence has just said, yo-yo selling club here we come.

At least I'll have a club to support.

unlike decades of your good old days pre-`1991 when the club almost folded due to decades of it being run like the way  your man Mike has run it so far.

Next on the agenda, is Selling our best players to balance the books, until the Halls and Shepherd saved it, and the likes of you were attracted back to pumpng money into the club again  bluelaugh.gif

Still, I'm sure that your man Mike has improved the club on the pitch from being regular qualifiiers for europe, more time than evey everybody

but 4 other clubs in fact,

so then........do you keep borrowing from the banks until you are succesful or bankrupt, whichever comes first ? at which point do you think it would be dangerous to continue borrowing as i think we reached that point ?

I've answered you, I don't think the clubs intention is to borrow until it is bankrupt. Mike Ashley might well be running the club down and heading the way of Leeds though.

Atm we need to borrow to stay in the PL.

yeah i'd say that's a fair assessment, maybe now the question should be posed as:

we have reached the point where further borrowing is required to keep us in the premier league, are we going to do it?

sadly, i think the answer is going to be no

what I find astonishing re all this obsessiion with debt, is why the likes of ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal haven't called in the receivers or changed direction realising that lower league positions and financial stability is the way to go........

yeah i'd say that's a fair assessment, maybe now the question should be posed as:

we have reached the point where further borrowing is required to keep us in the premier league, are we going to do it?

what I find astonishing re all this obsessiion with debt, is why the likes of ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal haven't called in the receivers or changed direction realising that lower league positions and financial stability is the way to go........

Pre-tax profit in the 12 months to June 30 rose to 59.6 million pounds from 30.8 million pounds in the year-earlier period, the club said on Friday

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_2249940,00.html

Arsenal have announced pre-tax profits of £36.7million for the year ending May 31, 2008, up almost £10m on last year's figure.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article4785919.ece

Overall, United recorded a loss before tax of £20.3m, which was less than in 2007, when it lost £34.2m.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/01/22/newcastle-united-s-finances-for-2008-revealed-72703-22755062/

most other people are obsessed with it, i.e. consider it an important factor whereas for some reason you appear to think it has little or no relevance

manu, arsenal and liverpool are basically the most successful clubs in english football history so great examples of comparison you're using there NE5

most other people are obsessed with it, i.e. consider it an important factor whereas for some reason you appear to think it has little or no relevance

manu, arsenal and liverpool are basically the most successful clubs in english football history so great examples of comparison you're using there NE5

unlike "sliding like Leeds" ? Mind, we are heading that way now, since Mike came in and started running the club like Bristol City, Plymouth and other such 3rd rate clubs.

My point is valid by the way. Those 3 clubs you quote are hardly worried about their huge debts are they ? Would you prefer to try and match them or not ?

I realise that some people like mick yearn for the good old days when we weren't embarrassed, because nobody noticed us apart when ritually losing to 4th division teams in the FA Cup and selling our best players, but I'd prefer to have a crack at winning things, personally speaking, and the capacity crowds of the last 15 years or so would tend to suggest quite a few people agree.

unlike "sliding like Leeds" ? Mind, we are heading that way now, since Mike came in and started running the club like Bristol City, Plymouth and other such 3rd rate clubs.

My point is valid by the way. Those 3 clubs you quote are hardly worried about their huge debts are they ? Would you prefer to try and match them or not ?

I realise that some people like mick yearn for the good old days when we weren't embarrassed, because nobody noticed us apart when ritually losing to 4th division teams in the FA Cup and selling our best players, but I'd prefer to have a crack at winning things, personally speaking, and the capacity crowds of the last 15 years or so would tend to suggest quite a few people agree.

Man Utd and Arsenal are not worried because they are easily covering them with profits, why does this point seem to go straight over your head?

never mind, your good old days of 2nd division football and not taking any chances are almost back, courtesy of good old Mike.

unlike decades of your good old days pre-`1991 when the club almost folded due to decades of it being run like the way  your man Mike has run it so far.

Next on the agenda, is Selling our best players to balance the books, until the Halls and Shepherd saved it, and the likes of you were attracted back to pumpng money into the club again  bluelaugh.gif

Still, I'm sure that your man Mike has improved the club on the pitch from being regular qualifiiers for europe, more time than evey everybody

so then........do you keep borrowing from the banks until you are succesful or bankrupt, whichever comes first ? at which point do you think it would be dangerous to continue borrowing as i think we reached that point ?

I've answered you, I don't think the clubs intention is to borrow until it is bankrupt. Mike Ashley might well be running the club down and heading the way of Leeds though.

Leeds went the way they did because their board spent money they didn't have & spent their future income on overpaid players who weren't as good as they should have been.

Remind you of anyone?

Leeds went the way they did because their board spent money they didn't have & spent their future income on overpaid players who weren't as good as they should have been.

Remind you of anyone?

cherry picking.

Only now are we heading the way of Leeds, or Sheff Wed, or our own past if you like

Remind you of anyone?

cherry picking.

Only now are we heading the way of Leeds, or Sheff Wed, or our own past if you like

How can I cherry pick when you only made one point? :lol:

Oh and your sentence should read

"Only now are we heading the way of Leeds, or Sheff Wed, or our own past if you like, as a result of years of financial mismanagement"

Thats pretty much how Freddy Shepherd ran us though. One full time scout - is that what the top sides have?

no you haven't answered me (well you have but it  was a bit like answering "green" when asked how many are in a dozen ?)......how long do you keep on borrowing and building up debt ?

i gave my answer a page or 2 ago

So our main strategy as a club is now to sign young players and make a profit on them in the future. How are we going to do that without the right coaches guiding them and if we are relegated their value is going to depreciate also.

So our main strategy as a club is now to sign young players and make a profit on them in the future. How are we going to do that without the right coaches guiding them and if we are relegated their value is going to depreciate also.

hopefully in richard money and his team we have the right coaches and hopefully we are also picking up a better quality of young player

hopefully in richard money and his team we have the right coaches and hopefully we are also picking up a better quality of young player

We have no idea whether the coaching team is good enough to develop these players.  We have no idea whether these players will turn out to be any good.  We've not been very good at it up to now.

But that's besides the point.  If ever there was a time to invest in the squad it's now imo.  We are in a perilous state, as recent results show and our league position proves.  The squad is riven with injuries and suspension and we have no depth at all.  Morale amongst the players is low by all accounts, backed up by senior players trying to leave, and the team is not improving.

If ever there was a time to invest it's now imo.  Relegation would cost us far more in the long run and set the club back far more than some extra short term debt.  I don't give a toss about competing with the successful clubs, I'm happy to leave that to our youth development policy if that's the plan, but the paucity of numbers and talent in the first team should be addressed now, as I can honestly see us getting relegated this season with some bad luck along the way if we don't get in some better players in key positions.  Lovenkrands isn't nearly enough imo, we need at least a decent central midfielder and a couple of fullbacks.

I'm not bothered tbh about Ashley's financial position, or how much he's spent - that's up to him and his accountants, and its his choice -and our 2008 balance sheet doesn't give me a hard on. I have an open mind as to whether our invetment in youth will transform the club - I hope so.  However I just want to see some investment in the first team resources we need right now to secure our status.  No doubt we'll see the back of several high earners in the summer - Owen, Viduka at least - so the wage bill should ease considerably as our name players leave.  But we've got to survive in the prem now.  Even Kinnear can see we're in the shit without getting some fresh talent in, and has said so on several occasions.

Hopefully Ashley, Wise & co will deliver.  We've still a few days left after all.

i agree with a good bit of what kitman says. we need to invest in the squad to save ourselves right now but we also need to look at what got us here. i understand what ashley is trying to do and it is necessary. we can't borrow for ever to chase dreams, we need to develop more of our own talent (has any top flight club developed less high quality talent than us ?....only the mackems i can think of!!).

It could be argued that money 'is' available, we've supposedly put bids in for M'bia and another (defender?) from France without having yet sold anyone to finance this.

or for balance, as i'm sure someone else will come up with.

We've not yet had our bids accepted so haven't 'got' to sell anyone to finance these deals.

i'll go for 70/30 the former, but knowing that there isn't much extra cash available.

All very well in theory, but in many ways, the horse has bolted...

It takes many years to set up a reputation for signing, developing, and bringing through , young players.

Back in the 70s, Burnley had this tag, and it worked for them - but only for a short time because once the maximum wage went and the big clubs started to offer big incentives to the parents of young players who were sought after, Burnley started to lose its appeal, and the top young players went to the big clubs.

Even then, there is no guarantee that they will develop into top class players at maturity..there are plenty of examples of those who had everyone chasing them , then flopped later on.

NUFC, of all clubs, is in the worst position to start this policy, because it has a poor reputation for looking after youngsters ; there was a memorable bust-up a few years ago involving Kenny Wharton and Peter Beardsley which ended up with them having to give evidence at some FA tribunal because 2 youngsters didn't like their coaching and left for Forest....then there was the fiasco of the Academy, which took YEARS to set up when it should have been a priority...then, in KKs first spell as manager, Alan Thompson left because he didn't think KK was interested in youth development, and even when we were doing well in the Prem, we failed to sign Upson from Luton because he decided on Arsenal - even though we were the 'glamour club' of the time...

I won't go further back & start talking about Bobby Robson deciding to join WBA, or the likes of Howard Kendall , Colin Bell, etc etc...you get my drift.

Our reputation today has declined further, so it will be even more of an uphill task - and take years - to persuade young players that we are a club they should join instead of Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool etc.

i agree with a good bit of what kitman says. we need to invest in the squad to save ourselves right now but we also need to look at what got us here. i understand what ashley is trying to do and it is necessary. we can't borrow for ever to chase dreams, we need to develop more of our own talent (has any top flight club developed less high quality talent than us ?....only the mackems i can think of!!).

I totally agree, and it's staggering we seem to have neglected it so badly in the past.  It would be fantastic to supplement our first team with our home grown players and it makes good business sense.  Then if we need to invest in players, it isn't a wholesale process but to improve a specific position.  But obviously it's a long term game, and we can't ignore our immediate needs with survival a minimum now and next season.

erm, hang on, this whole thing is from the madras question that you simply can't answer (i think :lol:) - do you keep spending until successful or bankrupt, whichever comes first? 

should leeds have kept spending then, when it was clear they really shouldn't, they were tumbling down the table and people were calling in their debts?  what happens when the banks refuse to lend any more money?

i know you won't answer, you can't, but if you HAD read the financial stuff you'd see that had we remained a PLC then the banks would have stopped lending to us eventually (especially given what has happened now!) but we'd have still had the debt & a squad of shit, overpaid players that can barely keep us up...at absolute best when FS left we were 4 years of good management & spending away from the top 4 imo, neither of which seemed a likelihood to me either under the man's tenure

MIKE ASHLEY IS NOT TOTALLY TO BLAME FOR THE TEAM WE PUT OUT THESE DAYS as much as you'd like to make out he is, as for the teams we discuss none of them, in the modern game, have been in the position we've been in for the last few seasons (getting worse on the pitch and on the balance sheet) and only manu were a plc anyway so it's totally fucking different to being bankrolled by private investors as arsenal are and liverpool were anyways

points been made before; the 100m debt wasn't shepherds money, it was loans, and i would guaran-fucking-tee you that if manu were where we were as a plc when FS left then they'd have stopped the financial rot too, they'd have had to

erm, hang on, this whole thing is from the madras question that you simply can't answer (i think :lol:) - do you keep spending until successful or bankrupt, whichever comes first? 

should leeds have kept spending then, when it was clear they really shouldn't, they were tumbling down the table and people were calling in their debts?  what happens when the banks refuse to lend any more money?

i know you won't answer, you can't, but if you HAD read the financial stuff you'd see that had we remained a PLC then the banks would have stopped lending to us eventually (especially given what has happened now!) but we'd have still had the debt & a squad of shit, overpaid players that can barely keep us up...at absolute best when FS left we were 4 years of good management & spending away from the top 4 imo, neither of which seemed a likelihood to me either under the man's tenure

MIKE ASHLEY IS NOT TOTALLY TO BLAME FOR THE TEAM WE PUT OUT THESE DAYS as much as you'd like to make out he is, as for the teams we discuss none of them, in the modern game, have been in the position we've been in for the last few seasons (getting worse on the pitch and on the balance sheet) and only manu were a plc anyway so it's totally fucking different to being bankrolled by private investors as arsenal are and liverpool were anyways

points been made before; the 100m debt wasn't shepherds money, it was loans, and i would guaran-fucking-tee you that if manu were where we were as a plc when FS left then they'd have stopped the financial rot too, they'd have had to

well, I said that I wouldn't have thought the club would deliberately go bankrupt, but they do need to get out of the relegation zone and stay up, and make progress back up the league again. The trouble is, this time last year, everyone was saying the same thing, and we arguably only stayed up because he appointed Keegan to stop the rot and get more from the players.

Wind forward 12 months, 12 months more of Ashleys strategy, and are we any better off, or are we worse off ? How long do you think this can go on ? We have daft people, saying the club shouldn't waste money on signings, when we are on the brink of a total disaster, both on the playing and financial front. So how do you think we can get out of danger ? And yes, if the money is not spent well, the finances are worse, but what exactly are the options here ? More of the same next season, and the season after, and the season after that ........ by then, revenue will be halved if he is lucky.

Guest toonlass

So have you come up with an answer to my question on the other thread then? Do you accept that (at least partially) Freddy Shepherd was culpable for the problems that we are facing now?

All very well in theory, but in many ways, the horse has bolted...

Our reputation today has declined further, so it will be even more of an uphill task - and take years - to persuade young players that we are a club they should join instead of Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool etc.

the problem being trying to get through to kids and parents that they may have more opportunity at the B&W's/ lower league clubs as opposed to those mentioned.

What are peoples opinions on this...?

!!WANTED!!

Passion and Fight....

Please see below for details

Another month goes by and the end of the season is beckoning. Nothing much has changed in the Premier League as a good dozen teams are still up for relegation and the select few who break away might be able to push for a European spot. It’s somewhere where all Newcastle United fans realistically aspire to be, somewhere where the majority expect us to be, and somewhere where the minority think we will finish.

Newcastle United’s problem as we all know is a lack of stability, confidence, and quality. Maybe the lack of these characteristics comes down to the Chairman, Board Room Staff or Owner. Maybe it comes down to the coaching staff and the manager. Maybe it comes down to the players on the pitch, and maybe it comes down to us in the stands. However, rather ironically one thing which unites us is our lack of unity.

To put it simply you can use the old phrase of “There is no “I” in TEAM”. Take that “I” and give it more meaning...Individuals. For individuals are what are running or dare I say it ruining the club from top to bottom. There are individuals at the top of this club who are seemingly unwilling to spend, and improve the strength in depth of the squad. Individuals at this club who don’t work cohesively with the Manager and coaching staff. Individuals who could improve personally through decision making. Individuals who can show a bit more heart and passion on the pitch, who can work together and fight for what they should all want – to win! Finally there are too many individuals in the stands, too many of us who are too fixated on the politics to pay attention to the real ‘business’ end.

Hypocritical I know – “Why talk about so much politics only then to criticise those who do?” you may ask. The reason for this is that we all know what is going on, we all know the situation has become very problematic, and we are all passionate about everything that the club does. It’s extremely hard to get away from it, living in a one club city, with such a massive focus on the club. On the other hand, this passion is what we rely on, and we all need to unite and become one, as a club.

Where does this passion come from? I ask you, the reader. Is this love for your club solely for your love of Newcastle? Do you support them because you support everything the city pursues? If so, do you go and watch the Hockey or the Rugby on a regular basis? I bet there is a minority of you who do. So my next question is; is it your love of football that makes you so passionate? I believe YES. This is exactly why we MUST concentrate on the football now and nothing else. If you want to remain passionate about the politics, why not go to America where politics is making history.

The second “I” I now want to turn your attention to is that of Intent. Intent is what we all need to display, as a club. This intent is what will unite us as a club, it’s what will save us from the battle that now faces us. Would a British soldier in Iraq turn to a fellow soldier who he dislikes and say “I don’t want to fight with you”?  No. So let’s not do it in this battle. What do we Intend to do? We Intend to stay up. No-one at the club wants us to go down, what good would it be for any of us?

We need to display this intent, find the passion, channel it, and show that fight, as a team and not individuals, that will keep us up and move us away from danger.

As inactive as the Toon Ultras may have appeared to be in recent months, we have still tried our hardest to back the lads up in Level 7. We are not alone, as the whole singing section appears to be doing so, as are other sections of the ground. Now what we need is to try and maintain a positive vibe, show encouragement, shoe belief and show faith.

As a group we follow our motto of Bringing Back The Noise, and now we urge you all to continue to do so, now more than ever! We will be striving to do our bit to improve the atmosphere and attitude, so all we ask is that everyone else continues to do so too. Let’s show the rest of the club what Unity is, and be UNITED in the stands.

Bring your flags, bring your scarves, bring your banners, bring anything black and white, and let’s show that passion and fight that has been emphasised by the quotes of our most famous knight.

SING YOUR HEARTS OUT FOR THE LADS!

What are peoples opinions on this...?

!!WANTED!!

Passion and Fight....

Please see below for details

Another month goes by and the end of the season is beckoning. Nothing much has changed in the Premier League as a good dozen teams are still up for relegation and the select few who break away might be able to push for a European spot. It’s somewhere where all Newcastle United fans realistically aspire to be, somewhere where the majority expect us to be, and somewhere where the minority think we will finish.

Newcastle United’s problem as we all know is a lack of stability, confidence, and quality. Maybe the lack of these characteristics comes down to the Chairman, Board Room Staff or Owner. Maybe it comes down to the coaching staff and the manager. Maybe it comes down to the players on the pitch, and maybe it comes down to us in the stands. However, rather ironically one thing which unites us is our lack of unity.

To put it simply you can use the old phrase of “There is no “I” in TEAM”. Take that “I” and give it more meaning...Individuals. For individuals are what are running or dare I say it ruining the club from top to bottom. There are individuals at the top of this club who are seemingly unwilling to spend, and improve the strength in depth of the squad. Individuals at this club who don’t work cohesively with the Manager and coaching staff. Individuals who could improve personally through decision making. Individuals who can show a bit more heart and passion on the pitch, who can work together and fight for what they should all want – to win! Finally there are too many individuals in the stands, too many of us who are too fixated on the politics to pay attention to the real ‘business’ end.

Hypocritical I know – “Why talk about so much politics only then to criticise those who do?” you may ask. The reason for this is that we all know what is going on, we all know the situation has become very problematic, and we are all passionate about everything that the club does. It’s extremely hard to get away from it, living in a one club city, with such a massive focus on the club. On the other hand, this passion is what we rely on, and we all need to unite and become one, as a club.

Where does this passion come from? I ask you, the reader. Is this love for your club solely for your love of Newcastle? Do you support them because you support everything the city pursues? If so, do you go and watch the Hockey or the Rugby on a regular basis? I bet there is a minority of you who do. So my next question is; is it your love of football that makes you so passionate? I believe YES. This is exactly why we MUST concentrate on the football now and nothing else. If you want to remain passionate about the politics, why not go to America where politics is making history.

The second “I” I now want to turn your attention to is that of Intent. Intent is what we all need to display, as a club. This intent is what will unite us as a club, it’s what will save us from the battle that now faces us. Would a British soldier in Iraq turn to a fellow soldier who he dislikes and say “I don’t want to fight with you”?  No. So let’s not do it in this battle. What do we Intend to do? We Intend to stay up. No-one at the club wants us to go down, what good would it be for any of us?

We need to display this intent, find the passion, channel it, and show that fight, as a team and not individuals, that will keep us up and move us away from danger.

As inactive as the Toon Ultras may have appeared to be in recent months, we have still tried our hardest to back the lads up in Level 7. We are not alone, as the whole singing section appears to be doing so, as are other sections of the ground. Now what we need is to try and maintain a positive vibe, show encouragement, shoe belief and show faith.

As a group we follow our motto of Bringing Back The Noise, and now we urge you all to continue to do so, now more than ever! We will be striving to do our bit to improve the atmosphere and attitude, so all we ask is that everyone else continues to do so too. Let’s show the rest of the club what Unity is, and be UNITED in the stands.

Bring your flags, bring your scarves, bring your banners, bring anything black and white, and let’s show that passion and fight that has been emphasised by the quotes of our most famous knight.

SING YOUR HEARTS OUT FOR THE LADS!

Some fine sentiments. Will do my best. :thup: