The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I've now reflected (its only taken a number of months) and while KK is a great hero of mine, I have now decided he was a tw*t for leaving.  Pride and principles apart - if he really cared for the club he should have stuck with us till the end of this season and then left - instead he left us right in the sh*t.

Apologies, bit random but it dawned on me last night.

People only say Keegan left us in the shit because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

No, I was of the opinion that Keegan had left us in the lurch by leaving at the worst possible time, at the time.

Keegan, is a principled football man, he wasnt going to stick around ashleys circus, once he found out what they were up to. Are you happy with what they are up to?

No. But that doesn't alter the fact that KK left us in the lurch at the worst possible time.

no, it would have been worse if hed left us at the bottom of the second, allowed us to go into the third division. But he didnt, in our biggest time of need, he stuck round, he took us up, he finished, 1st, 3rd 6th, 2nd, 2nd.

I've now reflected (its only taken a number of months) and while KK is a great hero of mine, I have now decided he was a tw*t for leaving.  Pride and principles apart - if he really cared for the club he should have stuck with us till the end of this season and then left - instead he left us right in the sh*t.

People only say Keegan left us in the s*** because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

No, I was of the opinion that Keegan had left us in the lurch by leaving at the worst possible time, at the time.

Keegan, is a principled football man, he wasnt going to stick around ashleys circus, once he found out what they were up to. Are you happy with what they are up to?

No. But that doesn't alter the fact that KK left us in the lurch at the worst possible time.

When is the best possible time?

It was at the beginning of the season, we could have easily turned things around if Ashley had approached the situation differently.

People only say Keegan left us in the s*** because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

Worst possible time with almost all the season ahead of us?

End of the season.

End of the season.

People would have still moaned that we had to spend time looking for a new manager while we should be out getting players.  O0

Ashley and his munters have had ample time to steady the ship. Its heading for an epic FAIL.

End of the season.

So Keegan isn't happy with how things are being run and decides to walk, but he'll wait until the end of the season to do so..

How could that possibly work? There'd be another power struggle in the January transfer window, there'd be a bias in player selection which would cause a rift amongst the squad and some players would inevitably stop respecting him since he wouldn't be around for much longer anyway. It'd also lead to another transition season since things such as playing staff and coaching staff would change at the end of the season again.

End of the season.

People would have still moaned that we had to spend time looking for a new manager while we should be out getting players.  O0

Ashley and his munters have had ample time to steady the ship. Its heading for an epic FAIL.

Ashley making bad decisions later does not absolve Keegan of anything. They're both to blame. Fan overreaction to Keegan's departure has been another part of the problem.

we had 35 games of the season, and a whole january transfer window, left to move forward. instead we've gone backwards. that's got little to do with Keegan just as west ham's revitalisation this season has little to do with Curbishley, their board actually attempted to move on from it. the worst possible time to leave would be around now if there was something to play for - ie an important trophy or battling relegation, not 3 games into the season.

People only say Keegan left us in the shit because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

no, it would have been worse if hed left us at the bottom of the second, allowed us to go into the third division. But he didnt, in our biggest time of need, he stuck round, he took us up, he finished, 1st, 3rd 6th, 2nd, 2nd.

we had 35 games of the season, and a whole january transfer window, left to move forward. instead we've gone backwards. that's got little to do with Keegan. the worst possible time to leave would be around now if there was something to play for - ie an important trophy or battling relegation, not 3 games into the season.

OZ?

End of the season.

Ashley making bad decisions later does not absolve Keegan of anything. They're both to blame. Fan overreaction to Keegan's departure has been another part of the problem.

Nobody (except probably CP40  :shifty:) is claiming that Keegan is blameless.. but during the aftermath I think that Ashley has come out much, much worse than Keegan. Ashley has fucked up constantly since infact.

Wasted a transfer window

Poor appointment in JFK

Giving him a contract  until the end of the season

Going on to offer him a 2 year deal (this has been confirmed by Llambtits I believe)

Spinning off constant lies through JFK. One minute we're not carrying any debt, next there's no money to spend, next we're still paying off previous players.. there's no consistency at all with what's being said.

If all it takes to decide to sell up is a protest at a game then he really needs to invest in a backbone. How the hell did he expect us to react?

End of the season.

Agreed, we could have done without people gathering outside SJP.

Keegan shafted "the club he loves" and is now trying to get £9 million for  it and you're all falling over  yourselves to make excuses for him. :lol:

As Toon's Taylor has said, you're like battered wives.

You and TT keep making excuses for munters who are failing our club.

Keegan shafted "the club he loves" and is now trying to get £9 million for  it and you're all falling over  yourselves to make excuses for him. :lol:

I'm not making excuses for him at all. My argument is that Ashley has had plenty of time to sort us out since then and the only consistency has been his ability to fuck up chance after chance.

Try using a bit of logic sometime. Pointing out where Keegan is to blame is not making excuses for anyone else.

I'm not making excuses for him at all. My argument is that Ashley has had plenty of time to sort us out since then and the only consistency has been his ability to fuck up chance after chance.

Try using a bit of logic sometime. Pointing out where Keegan is to blame is not making excuses for anyone else.

So you blame KK and not ashley?

For all those who reckon Keegan was right to walk in 2008, do you also reckon he was right to walk in 1997?

For me, he was wrong to walk back then, he broke my heart for no apparent reason. The basis of his exit was proved by history to be a load of bollocks as Shepherd continued to back his managers as best as he could.

Guest optimistic nit

I must admit this bothered me last night. Fans saying things like that Slugsy baffles me a little bit.

It comes across that it doesnt matter if Kevin Keegan was pushed to the point where he didnt enjoy coming to work every day, but you feel pissed off at him because he didnt hang around, just to make you happy.

I wouldnt expect anyone to stay in a job if they were unhappy - just for my sake. Whether its my brother or Kevin Keegan, if he is unhappy, he has to make a decision based on how he alone feels.

The problem with Kev is, once he's unhappy, he lets it affect the rest of the staff including the players. It was the same back in the 90's when he left, it  was clear there was something wrong and performances were affected. At the end of the day Keegan has to do what he feels is best, that doesnt stop us from wishing hed bite the bullet once in a while for the sake of the club.

Regardless, he'll always be a hero of mine as well, warts and all, and if he came back tomorrow I'd be over the moon.

Before he quit, hadn't we lashed Spurs and gave Leeds a good hoofing?

i think the 7-1 win vs leeds was his last home game in charge :lol:

mind before that we'd gone 6 or 7 without a win

Spurs. ;)

i meant spurs :razz:

So you blame KK and not ashley?

I blame them both, and the fans who immediately went nuclear.

For all those who reckon Keegan was right to walk in 2008, do you also reckon he was right to walk in 1997?

For me, he was wrong to walk back then, he broke my heart for no apparent reason. The basis of his exit was proved by history to be a load of bollocks as Shepherd continued to back his managers as best as he could.

He didn't leave us in the lurch in 1997, whatever the rights and wrongs of his departure.

He didn't leave us in the lurch in 1997, whatever the rights and wrongs of his departure.

at last some sense from oz.

True enough, i only asked if he was right to do what he did.

Interested in what people have to say about this, as the 'man of principle who had no choice but to leave' must have left the last time for the same reasons.

I do love a bit of historical revisionism.

I'm not making excuses for him at all. My argument is that Ashley has had plenty of time to sort us out since then and the only consistency has been his ability to f*** up chance after chance.

Try following your own advice. Pointing out that Ashley has made a bad situation much worse is not making excuses for Keegan.

Anyone?