The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I'm sure Keegan wouldn't have returned unless he had been promised serious transfer funds by Ashley and complete control over those transfers.

He got neither and was in effect tricked by Ashley into coming back.

what a load of s***. mort said keegan knew the system/situation and agreed to it before he signed. any talk from keegan himself about breaking world records was sheer stupidity.

Your the one talking s*** - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

at what point in ashleys time here has he or anyone connected to him claimed we would spend "significant funds"? the club would NOT have said "here kev have £200 million m8" as a lure. keegan most likely came back for the money he would get, not spend. sad, but very possibly true.

The 16 million quid they were going to spunk on the croation tranny?

and Woodgate in January

Guest The Libertine

I'm sure Keegan wouldn't have returned unless he had been promised serious transfer funds by Ashley and complete control over those transfers.

what a load of s***. mort said keegan knew the system/situation and agreed to it before he signed. any talk from keegan himself about breaking world records was sheer stupidity.

Your the one talking s*** - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

at what point in ashleys time here has he or anyone connected to him claimed we would spend "significant funds"? the club would NOT have said "here kev have £200 million m8" as a lure. keegan most likely came back for the money he would get, not spend. sad, but very possibly true.

and Woodgate in January

again, that would have a knock on effect on other transfers we did complete. i would bet significant money on keegan being told he would have to sell to buy for the most part.

and Woodgate in January

again, that would have a knock on effect on other transfers we did complete. i would bet significant money on keegan being told he would have to sell to buy for the most part.

I seiously doubt that. At the time the general mpression was that Ashley was going to spend significant money once he had his own choice as manager. Keegan's first interview he was talking about why shouldn't we dream of winning things, Ashley was talking about breaking into the top four. It was Ashley's camp who put out the stories about Keegan's transfer targets costing £200m. It's pretty obvious Keegan was in the dark how much he really had to spend.

Guest The Libertine

and Woodgate in January

I seiously doubt that. At the time the general mpression was that Ashley was going to spend significant money once he had his own choice as manager. Keegan's first interview he was talking about why shouldn't we dream of winning things, Ashley was talking about breaking into the top four. It was Ashley's camp who put out the stories about Keegan's transfer targets costing £200m. It's pretty obvious Keegan was in the dark how much he really had to spend.

all debatable. i also really doubt that a manager coming into a club during a transfer window would have next to no idea how much money he'd have. even if he used the january window funds he had as a guide, he'd know roughly how much.

this kind of shit appearing in the papers almost every day probably gave the "general impression" most fans seem to have about an imminent massive spending spree;

"A source close to the United owner told the Telegraph today that Mike has told Keegan he has a "bottomless pit" of money at his disposal as he attempts to turn the club into an exciting, attacking force capable of challenging English football's big four.

Telegraph also reveals that the Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe, Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips and fullback Wayne Bridge, Barcelona's Deco, Celtic's Scott Brown, Bayern Munich's Belgian centre-half Daniel van Buyten and Manchester United's Wes Brown are among Keegan's first transfer list in January."

and Woodgate in January

they thought that would be a "right deal at the right time". that doesnt mean we would follow that up with another £50 million on other players. chances are we'd not have colo if we'd got modric.

Nonsense. Net outlay last summer was barely £2m, Colo included.

So a) what happened to that £16m for Modric, because it sure as hell wasn't spent? and b) why shouldn't KK have expected to have it available to him?

Guest The Libertine

and Woodgate in January

they thought that would be a "right deal at the right time". that doesnt mean we would follow that up with another £50 million on other players. chances are we'd not have colo if we'd got modric.

So a) what happened to that £16m for Modric, because it sure as hell wasn't spent? and b) why shouldn't KK have expected to have it available to him?

read what i said again before you say its nonsense then agree with me.

a) the money went on colo and b) it was and he spent it.

and Woodgate in January

read what i said again before you say its nonsense then agree with me.

a) the money went on colo and b) it was and he spent it.

nonsense.

and Woodgate in January

Deals we were never going to get. Ashley would have crapped himself if the waters had parted and he'd been left holding the winning bid imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is far more to it than players being bought and sold. I doubt that is the only reason why KK left. I think promises were made regarding money to spend which never materialised, promises that via various quotes can easily be interpreted as such. For example Mike Ashley saying if KK wanted a player and that player was right for us, money would be either found or they would do their best.

I also think KK considered Wise and co as part-timers, not fully committed, certainly not in the way he expected them to be. I know for a fact he had issues with that. I also think there was a total break down in communication too, especially when Mort left and this internally pissed him off. He's a man of communication and in all his previous jobs had a line so to speak to whoever he answered to or need to speak to. I also think he was felt to me made a mug of by going in front of the cameras and basically telling fans not to worry, signings were on their way, no player he wanted to keep would be sold, that Owen's contract would be sorted and so on.

He was extremely uncomfortable during the Milner sale press conference and I said so at the time, I think I even wrote "I'm worried now", he couldn't look the camera in the eye and was edgy. The biggest single reason why he left is Dennis Wise, the two  never got on. A lack of professionalism would have also played a part.

Since he left people have been using players bought over his head or players he wanted not being chased as the focal point when in reality there were a number of reasons why he left, which if you think about it without any bias, shows clearly and these factors really did leave him with no choice but to leave.

Could he have done more to work through things or to make things work, could he have been wrong on a few things even? Of course, but at the end of the day the man felt he couldn't do the job we would all hold him as responsible for doing in the way he could only operate and decided to leave which he did. And we need to accept that instead of holding him to some higher order.

I mean according to some, if he loved the club he wouldn't walk away or sue the club. That's bull s*** logic and as stupid as saying Ashley should sell at a loss or never take a penny out of the club, or that Given should have been kept on even if he was unhappy, its just silly.

It all boils down ironically to the thing many are criticising KK of being - selfish. We selfishly expect an unhappy man to stick to his job just for us. We expect him to get on with people just for us. We expect him to forsake money just for us. We expect players to stay here for life just for us. We expect the owner to pump in his own money out of his own pocket just for us. We expect him to just f*** off and sell up even at a loss just for us. We expect him to pick KK over Wise just for us. We expect Wise to f*** off just for us.

We expect too much of other people who I'll let you into a little secret do not and never will see things as we do where our club is concerned, be it KK or Shay Given, Ashley or Wise.

By the way the system or structure wasn't at fault either. I doubt KK had a problem with it, not when it delivered him Jonas and Colo anyway. He was one himself (DOF) and knows the benfits and how it could work. I'd say the lack of communication, unprofessionalism and certain members of that system rather than that system itself were things that KK didn't like or couldn't work with.

There is far more to it than players being bought and sold. I doubt that is the only reason why KK left. I think promises were made regarding money to spend which never materialised, promises that via various quotes can easily be interpreted as such. For example Mike Ashley saying if KK wanted a player and that player was right for us, money would be either found or they would do their best.

I also think KK considered Wise and co as part-timers, not fully committed, certainly not in the way he expected them to be. I know for a fact he had issues with that. I also think there was a total break down in communication too, especially when Mort left and this internally pissed him off. He's a man of communication and in all his previous jobs had a line so to speak to whoever he answered to or need to speak to. I also think he was felt to me made a mug of by going in front of the cameras and basically telling fans not to worry, signings were on their way, no player he wanted to keep would be sold, that Owen's contract would be sorted and so on.

He was extremely uncomfortable during the Milner sale press conference and I said so at the time, I think I even wrote "I'm worried now", he couldn't look the camera in the eye and was edgy. The biggest single reason why he left is Dennis Wise, the two  never got on. A lack of professionalism would have also played a part.

Since he left people have been using players bought over his head or players he wanted not being chased as the focal point when in reality there were a number of reasons why he left, which if you think about it without any bias, shows clearly and these factors really did leave him with no choice but to leave.

Could he have done more to work through things or to make things work, could he have been wrong on a few things even? Of course, but at the end of the day the man felt he couldn't do the job we would all hold him as responsible for doing in the way he could only operate and decided to leave which he did. And we need to accept that instead of holding him to some higher order.

I mean according to some, if he loved the club he wouldn't walk away or sue the club. That's bull s*** logic and as stupid as saying Ashley should sell at a loss or never take a penny out of the club, or that Given should have been kept on even if he was unhappy, its just silly.

It all boils down ironically to the thing many are criticising KK of being - selfish. We selfishly expect an unhappy man to stick to his job just for us. We expect him to get on with people just for us. We expect him to forsake money just for us. We expect players to stay here for life just for us. We expect the owner to pump in his own money out of his own pocket just for us. We expect him to just f*** off and sell up even at a loss just for us. We expect him to pick KK over Wise just for us. We expect Wise to f*** off just for us.

We expect too much of other people who I'll let you into a little secret do not and never will see things as we do where our club is concerned, be it KK or Shay Given, Ashley or Wise.

By the way the system or structure wasn't at fault either. I doubt KK had a problem with it, not when it delivered him Jonas and Colo anyway. He was one himself (DOF) and knows the benfits and how it could work. I'd say the lack of communication, unprofessionalism and certain members of that system rather than that system itself were things that KK didn't like or couldn't work with.

Very good post HTT. I think the fact that Ashley and Llambias are publicly showing their faces in and around Newcastle is silent acknowledgement that Keegan was right to be pissed off that he couldn't get in touch with Ashley directly when he needed to, and ended up dealing with people he had no respect for.

Good post.

Poor, poor Kevin. It must have been earth-shattering to have to work with Dennis Wise and not have enough money to buy Lionel Messi. Let's give him £9 million to compensate for all that terrible suffering.

The last two posts of yours I've read have probably been the most pathetic attempts to garner bites I've seen on this site. There's a lot of competition out there, but congratulations, you've nailed it.

Poor, poor Kevin. It must have been earth-shattering to have to work with Dennis Wise and not have enough money to buy Lionel Messi. Let's give him £9 million to compensate for all that terrible suffering.

WUM ranking 2/10

It's sad you say/believe that, when you have no evidence of him ever wanting a player besides a few - which were all reasonably priced and would of improved us.  Woodgate, Modric, Insua, could be a couple but not many  more..

You would rather buy into that the owners did nothing wrong and the KK factor has made Ashley and Wise innocent victims.  Poor, Poor Ashley must be earth statterring not finding a buyer at the first sign of trouble and being stuck with a club he doesn't want.  Pay bare minimum keep us up, promise fans some good times then sell asap.  It's FAR more believable/realistic. 

At least there you have facts whereas your argument is based on tabloid transfer rumour talk.  I hope your being a WUM as otherwise your post was pathetic  :rolleyes:

The last two posts of yours I've read have probably been the most pathetic attempts to garner bites I've seen on this site. There's a lot of competition out there, but congratulations, you've nailed it.

Well, I'm so fucking sorry, but I haven't read a single argument about the nature of his departure -- of his choice to depart -- that comes within a light year of justifying a £9 million payout.

I do realise he's a sacred cow, and that any criticism of him at all will be regarded by many as trolling, but that is my honest opinion.

Well, I'm so fucking sorry, but I haven't read a single argument about the nature of his departure -- of his choice to depart -- that comes within a light year of justifying a £9 million payout.

I do realise he's a sacred cow, and that any criticism of him at all will be regarded by many as trolling, but that is my honest opinion.

Is there any clarification anywhere of there being a £9m payout? I haven't seen any.

Is there any clarification anywhere of there being a £9m payout? I haven't seen any.

That's what he's sueing the club for. Matter of public record.

Well, I'm so f***ing sorry, but I haven't read a single argument about the nature of his departure -- of his choice to depart -- that comes within a light year of justifying a £9 million payout.

Well...

It going to the court because of constructive dismissial whereby people above him made his job extremely difficult to do - in a deliberate attempt to get him to quit.  Which he did! as couldn't handle it anymore.. especially after promising the fans a replacement for Milner - which a penny hasn't even arrived yet!  Probably was super stressful being undermined like that.

He has every right to get his contract paid, a sacked manager would be due compensation.  If he has a valid reason he is entitled to it.  Ashley gave him a contract of that length at the end of the day.

this kind of shit appearing in the papers almost every day probably gave the "general impression" most fans seem to have about an imminent massive spending spree;

"A source close to the United owner told the Telegraph today that Mike has told Keegan he has a "bottomless pit" of money at his disposal as he attempts to turn the club into an exciting, attacking force capable of challenging English football's big four.

Telegraph also reveals that the Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe, Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips and fullback Wayne Bridge, Barcelona's Deco, Celtic's Scott Brown, Bayern Munich's Belgian centre-half Daniel van Buyten and Manchester United's Wes Brown are among Keegan's first transfer list in January."

Oh, come on. Even though that nonsense is a genuine quote, no one believed any such thing. Most supporters expected more than we got, though, as that was what we were made to believe.

That's what he's sueing the club for. Matter of public record.

Last I saw it was getting settled for nothing like that amount out of court.

Oh, come on. Even though that nonsense is a genuine quote, no one believed any such thing. Most supporters expected more than we got, though, as that was what we were made to believe.

Van Buyten would've been class alongside Seba.

Well, I'm so f***ing sorry, but I haven't read a single argument about the nature of his departure -- of his choice to depart -- that comes within a light year of justifying a £9 million payout.

Well...

It going to the court because of constructive dismissial whereby people above him made his job extremely difficult to do - in a deliberate attempt to get him to quit.  Which he did! as couldn't handle it anymore.. especially after promising the fans a replacement for Milner - which a penny hasn't even arrived yet!  Probably was super stressful being undermined like that.

Well, I'm sure that £9 million will help the poor fellow relax after his terrible ordeal.

Well...

Well, I'm sure that £9 million will help the poor fellow relax after his terrible ordeal.

He didn't deserve be treated like that, he couldn't do his job.  A sacked manager gets compensation out of his contract, a manager forced out must be due similiar.. i don't think you understand that he was being deliberately forced out.

Well...

You think he will win his case? so a court room will vote in favour that Keegan was being stopped to do the job he was supposed to be doing then?? - constructive dismissal.

wow and your pro Ashley right?