The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I've now reflected (its only taken a number of months) and while KK is a great hero of mine, I have now decided he was a tw*t for leaving.  Pride and principles apart - if he really cared for the club he should have stuck with us till the end of this season and then left - instead he left us right in the sh*t.

Apologies, bit random but it dawned on me last night.

:(

Agreed.

I've now reflected (its only taken a number of months) and while KK is a great hero of mine, I have now decided he was a tw*t for leaving.  Pride and principles apart - if he really cared for the club he should have stuck with us till the end of this season and then left - instead he left us right in the sh*t.

I must admit this bothered me last night. Fans saying things like that Slugsy baffles me a little bit.

It comes across that it doesnt matter if Kevin Keegan was pushed to the point where he didnt enjoy coming to work every day, but you feel pissed off at him because he didnt hang around, just to make you happy.

I wouldnt expect anyone to stay in a job if they were unhappy - just for my sake. Whether its my brother or Kevin Keegan, if he is unhappy, he has to make a decision based on how he alone feels.

:(

Agreed.

Me too.

The munters in charge of the club still had ample time and a transfer window to sort things out.

I must admit this bothered me last night. Fans saying things like that Slugsy baffles me a little bit.

It comes across that it doesnt matter if Kevin Keegan was pushed to the point where he didnt enjoy coming to work every day, but you feel pissed off at him because he didnt hang around, just to make you happy.

I wouldnt expect anyone to stay in a job if they were unhappy - just for my sake. Whether its my brother or Kevin Keegan, if he is unhappy, he has to make a decision based on how he alone feels.

The problem with Kev is, once he's unhappy, he lets it affect the rest of the staff including the players. It was the same back in the 90's when he left, it  was clear there was something wrong and performances were affected. At the end of the day Keegan has to do what he feels is best, that doesnt stop us from wishing hed bite the bullet once in a while for the sake of the club.

Regardless, he'll always be a hero of mine as well, warts and all, and if he came back tomorrow I'd be over the moon.

Garbage.

The problem with Kev is, once he's unhappy, he lets it affect the rest of the staff including the players. It was the same back in the 90's when he left, it  was clear there was something wrong and performances were affected. At the end of the day Keegan has to do what he feels is best, that doesnt stop us from wishing hed bite the bullet once in a while for the sake of the club.

Regardless, he'll always be a hero of mine as well, warts and all, and if he came back tomorrow I'd be over the moon.

Before he quit, hadn't we lashed Spurs and gave Leeds a good hoofing?

What baffles me are the statements 'he was pushed to the point' - how do you know it wasnt Keegan doing the pushing? and 'he didnt enjoy coming to work anymore' - how do you know Kevin didnt enjoy coming to work everyday? It was about power and control of the club not whether the boss was nice to him or whether him and Terry Mac had a laugh with the players at training everday

Keegan's actions, which he was not forced to take, increased the probability of us being relegated yet, understandably, his die-hard apologists obviously dont want to look at the situation this way. Hence he was forced and had no choice, like some 21st century footballing martyr falling on his own sword out of his unswerving adherence to principles. Its a shame he never ran for PM tbh.

Its also nonsense to say 'he had no choice'. I can think of an analgous situation in my company at this very moment and the boss who is losing out on their political control isnt throwing a hissy fit and handing in his resignation in. Its called the real world. And as in the real world, the devil is in the detail and in the details of why the relationship between the club and Keegan fell apart. Its a story that has two sides making mistakes and being accountable.

This is the whole problem with everything going on from NUSC to relegation, the debates are centred around one-eyed, simplistic explanations acting as a catch-all for years of problems on and off the pitch.

7 consecutive draws then the spurs game iirc.

What baffles me are the statements 'he was pushed to the point' - how do you know it wasnt Keegan doing the pushing? and 'he didnt enjoy coming to work anymore' - how do you know Kevin didnt enjoy coming to work everyday? It was about power and control of the club not whether the boss was nice to him or whether him and Terry Mac had a laugh with the players at training everday

Keegan's actions, which he was not forced to take, increased the probability of us being relegated yet, understandably, his die-hard apologists obviously dont want to look at the situation this way. Hence he was forced and had no choice, like some 21st century footballing martyr falling on his own sword out of his unswerving adherence to principles. Its a shame he never ran for PM tbh.

Its also nonsense to say 'he had no choice'. I can think of an analgous situation in my company at this very moment and the boss who is losing out on their political control isnt throwing a hissy fit and handing in his resignation in. Its called the real world. And as in the real world, the devil is in the detail and in the details of why the relationship between the club and Keegan fell apart. Its a story that has two sides making mistakes and being accountable.

This is the whole problem with everything going on from NUSC to relegation, the debates are centred around one-eyed, simplistic explanations acting as a catch-all for years of problems on and off the pitch.

It still all Ashleys and his munters fault.

It probably was more Ashley's fault than Keegan's fault, but my expectations for Kevin Keegan were certainly a damned sight higher than my expectations for Mike Ashley.

Felt betrayed more than anything when it went down, still do. There's no more traumatic experience for a football supporter than getting fucked over by a club legend.

It probably was more Ashley's fault than Keegan's fault, but my expectations for Kevin Keegan were certainly a damned sight higher than my expectations for Mike Ashley.

Felt betrayed more than anything when it went down, still do. There's no more traumatic experience for a football supporter than getting fucked over by a club legend.

which is how i would have felt, if Keegan had continued his part in this Pantomime,.

which is how i would have felt, if Keegan had continued his part in this Pantomime,.

You dont even know what role Keegan played in the pantomine. 

Felt betrayed more than anything when it went down, still do. There's no more traumatic experience for a football supporter than getting f***ed over by a club legend.

The baddie!

Guest The Libertine

i think he'd still be here (or argued and argued until he was sacked) if his contract said he'd not get a penny if he quit, which it should have.

Felt betrayed more than anything when it went down, still do. There's no more traumatic experience for a football supporter than getting f***ed over by a club legend.

The baddie!

Oh no he isnt.

The baddie!

Oh no he isnt.

He is behind you !!!

Guest optimistic nit

i think the 7-1 win vs leeds was his last home game in charge :lol:

mind before that we'd gone 6 or 7 without a win

People only say Keegan left us in the shit because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

i think the 7-1 win vs leeds was his last home game in charge :lol:

mind before that we'd gone 6 or 7 without a win

Spurs. ;)

People only say Keegan left us in the shit because of what went on after. Keegan didn't appoint JFK, Keegan didn't offer him an extended contract, Keegan wasn't the one who decided not to appoint a full-time manager and get on with things. Keegan isn't the one who has tried to gamble our Premiership future by cutting costs and not re-investing in the first team in January when we needed it.

No, I was of the opinion that Keegan had left us in the lurch by leaving at the worst possible time, at the time.

No, I was of the opinion that Keegan had left us in the lurch by leaving at the worst possible time, at the time.

Keegan, is a principled football man, he wasnt going to stick around ashleys circus, once he found out what they were up to. Are you happy with what they are up to?

He wouldn't have been able to win though whatever time he left. People said if he wasn't happy he should have left earlier, but then people would have said he'd have left us in the lurch during a transfer window if he'd have done that.

Keegan, is a principled football man, he wasnt going to stick around ashleys circus, once he found out what they were up to. Are you happy with what they are up to?

No. But that doesn't alter the fact that KK left us in the lurch at the worst possible time.