Shepherd Has His Say (Again)

Tooj

It's actually getting hilarious how everyone's trying to make NE5 admit that he's talking nonsense.

It's not happening. Ever. Give up. :lol:

oh dear, I remember people saying that people like me were talking nonsense when we said Ashley was turning the club into a 2nd rate selling club again, and heading for relegation through selling players and looking for cheap replacements.

When exactly do you think we will match the european qualifications that we have seen for the last 15 years, under Ashleys strategy ?

stretch the question further and ask if fred would have matched the european qualifications we've seen for the last 15years ?

would he have just spent the banks money to try and emulate it ?

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term. All of which I agreed with, and made no secret of the fact that I also was pleased with the appointment of Allardyce for the same reasons, along with a new direction and way of doing things at the club.

I'm pretty sure that their ultimate ambitions would have remained as high as they always were, which are much higher than Ashleys, and I'm also pretty sure that at the current moment in time, they wouldn't be sitting back and watching the team heading for relegation and try to reverse it.

Mind, the amount of u-turns by people who urged them to keep spending, and backed Souness in his spending spree, but now say how wrong it was, is quite amazing.

You make so many good points and then take a giant plop all over your argument when you say such ridiculous things like: "which are much higher than Ashley's".

Just what kind of bullshit is that? You really think Ashley would rather own a mid-table club than a club competing for honors and qualifying for Europe? You really think the Halls and Shepherd are the only 2 ambitious fuckers out there in football? ffs!!!

Yes I do think their ambitions were higher than Ashleys.

You won't get a club competing for honours and qualifying regularly for europe by selling your best players and operating and replacing them on the cheap. Ever.

It's actually getting hilarious how everyone's trying to make NE5 admit that he's talking nonsense.

oh dear, I remember people saying that people like me were talking nonsense when we said Ashley was turning the club into a 2nd rate selling club again, and heading for relegation through selling players and looking for cheap replacements.

When exactly do you think we will match the european qualifications that we have seen for the last 15 years, under Ashleys strategy ?

stretch the question further and ask if fred would have matched the european qualifications we've seen for the last 15years ?

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term.

I'm pretty sure that their ultimate ambitions would have remained as high as they always were, which are much higher than Ashleys, and I'm also pretty sure that at the current moment in time, they wouldn't be sitting back and watching the team heading for relegation and try to reverse it.

Mind, the amount of u-turns by people who urged them to keep spending, and backed Souness in his spending spree, but now say how wrong it was, is quite amazing.

i'd reckon ashleys ambition was to do aswell as possible without running up massive debt.........your way sees everton of having a lack of ambition, a lack that sees them regularly finish well clear off ambitious freds outfit.

Everton are just the team doing the best for the moment of a whole load of clubs that don't have the big ambition that they should.

Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. If you are saying you would swap their last decade for ours, then I wouldn't agree, and if you are saying what they have done in the past decade is good enough for you, then thats up to you.   It;s this mistaken idea that you and others have that everybody else has done things better than us, and the grass is always greener. despite results to the contrary which is pretty daft like.

You thought the grass was greener when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club and now they have gone, we are sinking like a stone.

Has Shay Given gone yet ? All we need is Ashleys mouthpiece to come out again and say its "good business", and I'm sure a lot of gullible people will swallow it whole.

i'd swap their last 5 years for ours.

as for sinking like a stone i'll claim you are LYING if you think  it's only since fred left.

I'm not talking about the last 5 years, I'm talking about the entire tenure of the chairman you are slating, not part of it.

Do you still think having an owner who runs the club down is no different to having an owner(s) who have ambition and have shown it ?

Amazing.

We were careful with our spending when Bobby 1st took over, then we started spending more after a coulpe of seasons iirc.

Well, if you are saying you expect Mike Ashley to show ambition in a year or two, then feel free.

I'll be surprised though. But he may also have to, when we are down a league, crowds are 20,000 and the penny drops with most of the daft posters who still back him, as well as himself.

Do you expect an owner of Newcastle Utd to have to support the club out of his own money? If so, when did you change your mind?

Do you think that a club such as Newcastle Utd should be self sufficient? If so, how do you think that could be achieved?

do you think it is possible to be successful without taking risks, or to rephrase it, how much scope in football is there for teams to be successful and make profits ?

Or do you sit back and accept mediocrity and possibly small profits ?? Which would you prefer, attempting to be successful or not ?

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term. All of which I agreed with, and made no secret of the fact that I also was pleased with the appointment of Allardyce for the same reasons, along with a new direction and way of doing things at the club.

You make so many good points and then take a giant plop all over your argument when you say such ridiculous things like: "which are much higher than Ashley's".

Just what kind of bullshit is that? You really think Ashley would rather own a mid-table club than a club competing for honors and qualifying for Europe? You really think the Halls and Shepherd are the only 2 ambitious fuckers out there in football? ffs!!!

You won't get a club competing for honours and qualifying regularly for europe by selling your best players and operating and replacing them on the cheap. Ever.

For about the 59th time, how do you know Ashley is not just steadying the ship financially for now before plowing more funds when the time is right and the club can take a breath? How do you know it is NEVER his intention to compete for honours and qualify for Europe? Afterall, if he's a greedy cunt, he'd want to generate more revenue, hence raise the price of the club, and sell at a higher price!

I know, it's called logic.

The demands for "instant success" coupled with lots of money being spent is also a joke, for what it's worth.

Especially when the bloke seemingly pushing that line goes and says Allardyce was a good appointment because he'd proven he was capable of building a "pretty good side with little money".

To me it looks like toys out of the pram because things aren't being done the way someone wants them to be done (from a purely personal perspective), but then I suppose we're all guilty of that now and again.

you can think what you like. The phrase is meeting some of you lot halfway and conceding that the club needed to be careful, but I said this at the time in response to those among you who wet their knickers after every defeat urging the greedy fat bastard to splash the cash.

Not surprise you have also forgotten all those absurd posts though.

Not sure that was a camp I was ever part of, along with a lot more of the regular posters on here. A minority, probably, much like the minority you appear to be in now.

I haven't "forgotten" them though, I don't ever pretend that Shepherd deserved the stick he took (which you well know) and I've always wanted the criticism of him to be based on sound logic/reason and with facts and figures to back it up.

I wish I could know how Fred/Sam would have turned out as initially the signs seemed good. However, if Allardyce was going to go down the line he did anyway (as in the style of football he employed) then it would have all ended in tears again - people would have had even LESS patience with him simply because it was Fred at the helm above him - and I'd be struggling to see a way out for Shepherd. Apart from better/more experienced backing in his very early days as manager I'm not sure what else would be different. He still brought in all the staff he wanted and got some of his original targets (Viduka, Smith and Barton) but he also still played horrendous football at times and quickly lost the fans as people began to suss him out.

A crystal ball would be handy but we have what we have, unfortunately. Whether it's better or worse than what it would have been had FS stayed is impossible to say, especially in the current climate.

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term.

i'd reckon ashleys ambition was to do aswell as possible without running up massive debt.........your way sees everton of having a lack of ambition, a lack that sees them regularly finish well clear off ambitious freds outfit.

Everton are just the team doing the best for the moment of a whole load of clubs that don't have the big ambition that they should.

Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. If you are saying you would swap their last decade for ours, then I wouldn't agree, and if you are saying what they have done in the past decade is good enough for you, then thats up to you.   It;s this mistaken idea that you and others have that everybody else has done things better than us, and the grass is always greener. despite results to the contrary which is pretty daft like.

You thought the grass was greener when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club and now they have gone, we are sinking like a stone.

Has Shay Given gone yet ? All we need is Ashleys mouthpiece to come out again and say its "good business", and I'm sure a lot of gullible people will swallow it whole.

as for sinking like a stone i'll claim you are LYING if you think  it's only since fred left.

I'm not talking about the last 5 years, I'm talking about the entire tenure of the chairman you are slating, not part of it.

Do you still think having an owner who runs the club down is no different to having an owner(s) who have ambition and have shown it ?

Amazing.

We were careful with our spending when Bobby 1st took over, then we started spending more after a coulpe of seasons iirc.

Well, if you are saying you expect Mike Ashley to show ambition in a year or two, then feel free.

I'll be surprised though. But he may also have to, when we are down a league, crowds are 20,000 and the penny drops with most of the daft posters who still back him, as well as himself.

Do you expect an owner of Newcastle Utd to have to support the club out of his own money? If so, when did you change your mind?

Do you think that a club such as Newcastle Utd should be self sufficient? If so, how do you think that could be achieved?

do you think it is possible to be successful without taking risks, or to rephrase it, how much scope in football is there for teams to be successful and make profits ?

Or do you sit back and accept mediocrity and possibly small profits ?? Which would you prefer, attempting to be successful or not ?

I think you have to take calculated risks.

Tbh, i'm not sure how profitable an EPL club is so i don't know the answer. Other peolpe seem to suggest you don't buy an EPL club to make a lot of money.

I would prefer attampting to be successful but i wouldn't want to confuse ability with ambition.

Now answer my questions.

For about the 59th time, how do you know Ashley is not just steadying the ship financially for now before plowing more funds when the time is right and the club can take a breath? How do you know it is NEVER his intention to compete for honours and qualify for Europe? Afterall, if he's a greedy cunt, he'd want to generate more revenue, hence raise the price of the club, and sell at a higher price!

I know, it's called logic.

ah, the first time anybody has suggested this.

Its possible, but if it were the case, I would be expecting him to take measures to stay up whatever it takes .........

I'm also at a loss to see how breaking our transfer record for a defender is "replacing players on the cheap", but there you go...

big deal

The old board did it all the time, and still retained their ambition for other players, high league positions, and didn't make profits in the transfer market while undermining the manager, causing him to walk, just like the manager before him complained and just like the current one may do yet, because they certainly aren't giving him much of a chance either.

One day, like the others, you might wake up.

Amazing.

Tbh, i'm not sure how profitable an EPL club is so i don't know the answer. Other peolpe seem to suggest you don't buy an EPL club to make a lot of money.

I would prefer attampting to be successful but i wouldn't want to confuse ability with ambition.

Now answer my questions.

?

Either lying or he's very, very stupid.

are you still happy with the progress we've made since the change of owner then, and previous to that, the buying and selling of the manager you backed all the way to turn into the new Alex Ferguson because he got rid of the "cancer" ?

Well, that post was a bit of both.

Amazing.

Now answer my questions.

exactly.

I also don't think anybody buys a football club to make money, unless they see it as an asset stripping exercise in the short term and sell as quickly as possible, because absolute self sufficiency and success is something not too many clubs have managed to do.

As you said, you've got to take risks, and you have to be prepared to take losses, or you are in the wrong game. Why do people persist in thinking its the same as running a High Street business, when anything outside the top 3 or 4 is "failure".

That pretty much answers what you ask as best as possible.

Either lying or he's very, very stupid.

are you still happy with the progress we've made since the change of owner then, and previous to that, the buying and selling of the manager you backed all the way to turn into the new Alex Ferguson because he got rid of the "cancer" ?

Well, that post was a bit of both.

So, did he turn out to be the new Alex Ferguson then ? And does a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards = 4 out of 6 appointments that you backed and thought would be successful ?

Don't be shy now, come out and tell us  bluelaugh.gif

I'm also at a loss to see how breaking our transfer record for a defender is "replacing players on the cheap", but there you go...

big deal

The old board did it all the time, and still retained their ambition for other players, high league positions, and didn't make profits in the transfer market while undermining the manager, causing him to walk, just like the manager before him complained and just like the current one may do yet, because they certainly aren't giving him much of a chance either.

I could go down the line of blaming Shepherd and Co. here for the nature of how Ashley is having to do business at this football club, but I fear it'd be pointless. Whatever is the cause of it (be it he's a nasty man with no ambition or he's been shafted by events out of his control, etc.) it's a fucking crying shame that it's come to this.

I'm gutted that he hasn't "splashed the cash" as well, to be perfectly honest, as it's what I had expected to an extent when I heard we'd been taken over by a billionaire... but when you see the books and absorb the current nature of global finances (as well as Ashley's personal finances) it becomes a little bit easier to understand, although not much easier to accept.

You know I'm without an agenda here (bar disliking when people are being odious/tedious), this is just how I see it as it is.

Amazing.

Now answer my questions.

exactly.

I also don't think anybody buys a football club to make money, unless they see it as an asset stripping exercise in the short term and sell as quickly as possible, because absolute self sufficiency and success is something not too many clubs have managed to do.

As you said, you've got to take risks, and you have to be prepared to take losses, or you are in the wrong game. Why do people persist in thinking its the same as running a High Street business, when anything outside the top 3 or 4 is "failure".

All good.

I'm curious for view on something though.

We seem to be well in the red and the Owner is propping us up. It's reasonable to assume that we'll have to stay within our budget for the short term until the we're closer to being self sufficient.

But how do you think we could operate more within our means?

big deal

The old board did it all the time,

They broke the transfer fee record all the time?

still retained their ambition for other players

Maybe so.

high league positions

As well as low ones.

[didn't make profits in the transfer market

Errr, yes they did, when Woodgate was sold for a profit.

while undermining the manager, causing him to walk

SBR knew nothing about the Woodgate sale, he was eventually sacked is disgraceful circumstances. So he was undermined.

Guest toonlass

Ok NE5, 1 Question only. Do not avoid, or cloud the issue with crap. Just answer the question straight without hyperbole, without talking about anything else.

Do you accept that (at least partially) Freddy Shepherd is the reason that we are in the state we are in now?

Amazing.

Now answer my questions.

exactly.

All good.

I'm curious for view on something though.

We seem to be well in the red and the Owner is propping us up. It's reasonable to assume that we'll have to stay within our budget for the short term until the we're closer to being self sufficient.

But how do you think we could operate more within our means?

not being funny, because I know you're applying common sense unlike some of the others, but who operates within their means, yet strives to be successful in terms of getting into europe or even the top 4 ?

I'm not going to count cup runs here, because nice as they are, they aren't a true guide to how good a club or a team you have as much as the league, and haven't been since the 1950's where the cup was truly regarded as a bigger trophy to win than the league.

Ok NE5, 1 Question only. Do not avoid, or cloud the issue with crap. Just answer the question straight without hyperbole, without talking about anything else.

Do you accept that (at least partially) Freddy Shepherd is the reason that we are in the state we are in now?

I don't cloud anything with crap. I'm telling you what it takes to be successful. If you think otherwise, fair enough (for you)

I'm quite certain when I say that if Mike Ashley stays at the club long term and continues as he is, you and some of the others will not see this club competing near the top again and unless you actually prefer making small profits [which you won't when the reality of true mediocrity dawns on you] then those years of when we did qualify regularly for europe will be a fond memory that you will realise you didn't appreciate.

How many PL clubs run at a profit with no debt?

I'd be more curious to know which clubs run at a loss WITH debt.

Half the PL??

How many have owners who guarantee the debt?

Just saying you can't have your cake and eat it. Buying and selling players, hiring managers is a lottery. Look at the state Spurs are in and Liverpool will be in if they don't qual CL this season.

Guest toonlass

I don't cloud anything with crap. I'm telling you what it takes to be successful. If you think otherwise, fair enough (for you)

I'm quite certain when I say that if Mike Ashley stays at the club long term and continues as he is, you and some of the others will not see this club competing near the top again and unless you actually prefer making small profits [which you won't when the reality of true mediocrity dawns on you] then those years of when we did qualify regularly  will be a fond memory that you will realise you didn't appreciate.

I am not asking you that though. I am asking you if you accept that Freddy Sheperd (at least partially) is to blame for the mess we are in? Stop avoiding a simple and direct question.

I'm quite certain when I say that if Mike Ashley stays at the club long term and continues as he is, you and some of the others will not see this club competing near the top again and unless you actually prefer making small profits [which you won't when the reality of true mediocrity dawns on you] then those years of when we did qualify regularly  will be a fond memory that you will realise you didn't appreciate.

I am not asking you that though. I am asking you if you accept that Freddy Sheperd (at least partially) is to blame for the mess we are in? Stop avoiding a simple and direct question.

we were in a damn sight of a mess when he and the Halls took over the club. I'm not blaming anybody for giving me the best 15 years supporting the club, since 1964, by far. It may not have ended as well as it started and continued for most of their time,  but thats the truth.

By the way, I've seen this club relegated twice, and the particular bricks which caused that to happen, have only been put into place again since Ashley bought the club.