Shepherd Has His Say (Again)

Tooj

NE5, forget about the game of football for one second. Set it aside. Don't even think about the football aspect.

Now answer this question straight. Was Freddy Shepherd (at least partially) responsible for the financial situation that we face at this club?

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

If anything, it nails the daft theory that any old successful businessman can come into football and be a success, something else numerous people said when they were slating the fat b****** for only running a club that qualified regularly for europe, and not splashing cash whenever we lost a game, ironically.

football is a business first now, it has to be with the money involved

so i ask where was ur darling freddy going to find his 100 million which needed paying back

NE5 will NEVER answer that question because a) he has no idea. b) he knows full well that we would have struggled to pay it back, and could have gone into administration had the creditors come calling.

Yes NE5, football is about football first, no doubt about that and I agree. But you also have to have some kind of business sense. You can't simply spend more than you have, as then you would be knee-deep in it.

if NE5 ran this football club we would be like leeds now

nah, its Mike Ashley, and we will soon be back to where the Halls and Shepherd saved it.

FWIW, I was one of the few people on here who said that the fat b****** couldn't carry on splashing cash whenever the team lost a game. Thats quite a lot of u-turns ........ like I said, any old stick will do.

Care to tell me yet when or how Mike Ashley will attempt to match the european qualifications of the old board, or are you going to be happy supporting a selling club sitting in the bottom half of the league and making a profit for the next 10 years instead .

By the way, I take it you have missed my posts where I pointed out how well Bob Murray ran the mackems, like a business.

Ashley could get us back to regular European football by being either lucky or smart enough to employ a manager who's up to it and then let him go about his work with the best budget the club can afford.

The old board were lucky with Keegan, unlucky (and premature) with Dalgleish, stupid with Gullit, lucky SBR was available and smart enough to get him, monumentally f**king stupid with Sounes and Roeder. I won't include Allardyce because ownership changed so soon after his appointment.

These simple questions are sooooooo hard for poor NE5.

Tbf Ozzie, he's already answered that question elsewhere

Yeah? What was his answer, then?

Let's face it, only a prize-winning moron would answer anything but "No, Shepherd didn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting us back into the Champions League!" But somehow I can't see NE5 conceding such an obvious truth.

The very thought of it has him burbling dumb irrelevancies about villages and manager of the year awards.

well, how about telling us if you backed a manager who had won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards, which would make at least 4 out of 6 appointments that you backed, this originally asked as a perfectly relevant question to you criticising the appointments ?

It's actually getting hilarious how everyone's trying to make NE5 admit that he's talking nonsense.

It's not happening. Ever. Give up. :lol:

oh dear, I remember people saying that people like me were talking nonsense when we said Ashley was turning the club into a 2nd rate selling club again, and heading for relegation through selling players and looking for cheap replacements.

When exactly do you think we will match the european qualifications that we have seen for the last 15 years, under Ashleys strategy ?

stretch the question further and ask if fred would have matched the european qualifications we've seen for the last 15years ?

would he have just spent the banks money to try and emulate it ?

NE5, forget about the game of football for one second. Set it aside. Don't even think about the football aspect.

Now answer this question straight. Was Freddy Shepherd (at least partially) responsible for the financial situation that we face at this club?

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

If anything, it nails the daft theory that any old successful businessman can come into football and be a success, something else numerous people said when they were slating the fat b****** for only running a club that qualified regularly for europe, and not splashing cash whenever we lost a game, ironically.

so i ask where was ur darling freddy going to find his 100 million which needed paying back

NE5 will NEVER answer that question because a) he has no idea. b) he knows full well that we would have struggled to pay it back, and could have gone into administration had the creditors come calling.

Yes NE5, football is about football first, no doubt about that and I agree. But you also have to have some kind of business sense. You can't simply spend more than you have, as then you would be knee-deep in it.

nah, its Mike Ashley, and we will soon be back to where the Halls and Shepherd saved it.

FWIW, I was one of the few people on here who said that the fat b****** couldn't carry on splashing cash whenever the team lost a game. Thats quite a lot of u-turns ........ like I said, any old stick will do.

Care to tell me yet when or how Mike Ashley will attempt to match the european qualifications of the old board, or are you going to be happy supporting a selling club sitting in the bottom half of the league and making a profit for the next 10 years instead .

By the way, I take it you have missed my posts where I pointed out how well Bob Murray ran the mackems, like a business.

Ashley could get us back to regular European football by being either lucky or smart enough to employ a manager who's up to it and then let him go about his work with the best budget the club can afford.

The old board were lucky with Keegan, unlucky (and premature) with Dalgleish, stupid with Gullit, lucky SBR was available and smart enough to get him, monumentally f**king stupid with Sounes and Roeder. I won't include Allardyce because ownership changed so soon after his appointment.

I'm sorry, but I just dont' think it is possible to equal the regular european qualifications of the old board by running the club in the way that Ashley has done and looks like continuing ie without major expenditure, just like they did, and that goes for any club.

It's actually getting hilarious how everyone's trying to make NE5 admit that he's talking nonsense.

oh dear, I remember people saying that people like me were talking nonsense when we said Ashley was turning the club into a 2nd rate selling club again, and heading for relegation through selling players and looking for cheap replacements.

When exactly do you think we will match the european qualifications that we have seen for the last 15 years, under Ashleys strategy ?

stretch the question further and ask if fred would have matched the european qualifications we've seen for the last 15years ?

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term. All of which I agreed with, and made no secret of the fact that I also was pleased with the appointment of Allardyce for the same reasons, along with a new direction and way of doing things at the club.

I'm pretty sure that their ultimate ambitions would have remained as high as they always were, which are much higher than Ashleys, and I'm also pretty sure that at the current moment in time, they wouldn't be sitting back and watching the team heading for relegation and try to reverse it.

Mind, the amount of u-turns by people who urged them to keep spending, and backed Souness in his spending spree, but now say how wrong it was, is quite amazing.

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

I'm sorry, but I just dont' think it is possible to equal the regular european qualifications of the old board by running the club in the wayeuropean qualifiucation that Ashley has done and looks like continuing ie without major expenditure, just like they did, and that goes for any club.

some don't think it's possible to get those euro qualifications the way fred was doing things.

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term.

I'm pretty sure that their ultimate ambitions would have remained as high as they always were, which are much higher than Ashleys, and I'm also pretty sure that at the current moment in time, they wouldn't be sitting back and watching the team heading for relegation and try to reverse it.

Mind, the amount of u-turns by people who urged them to keep spending, and backed Souness in his spending spree, but now say how wrong it was, is quite amazing.

i'd reckon ashleys ambition was to do aswell as possible without running up massive debt.........your way sees everton of having a lack of ambition, a lack that sees them regularly finish well clear off ambitious freds outfit.

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

I'm sorry, but I just dont' think it is possible to equal the regular european qualifications of the old board by running the club in the wayeuropean qualifiucation that Ashley has done and looks like continuing ie without major expenditure, just like they did, and that goes for any club.

some don't think it's possible to get those euro qualifications the way fred was doing things.

more qualifications than everybody else but 4 clubs says they are wrong.

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

I'm sorry, but I just dont' think it is possible to equal the regular european qualifications of the old board by running the club in the way that Ashley has done and looks like continuing ie without major expenditure, just like they did, and that goes for any club.

You've said before that you don't expect an owner to put his hand in his own pocket to run the club. I agree, a club our size shouldn't need that. All i want, and i believe all you want, is that the Board let the club spend the money it generates. They need to be smart or lucky to get the right man to do the best with whatever he has available to him.

This latest set of accounts seems to have put a different light on it. It seems as if we're well in the red. If so, we still need to appointment a good manager, let him run a tight ship for a season or 2 (just like SBR when he first came) and then start punching our weight when the debt is more manageable.

If they do that then we have a chance of competing with the likes of Villa, Liverpool and Arsenal the way we used to. Chelsea, Man City and Man U are in a different financial league tbh.

Whether this lot are competent or lucky enough for that to happen, we'll see. FWIW, they need to change that stupid system for a start. I'm all for Wise bringing in promising bairns and scouting players or whatever but only the man who picks the team should decide who's signed or sold.

forget about football ?

haha, it IS football.

more qualifications than everybody else but 4 clubs says they are wrong.

westwoods 1 trophy beats them both........doesn't mean fuck all as you know.

if you want i'll resurrect the clough example as you know when someone turns crap they need gotten rid of.

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term. All of which I agreed with, and made no secret of the fact that I also was pleased with the appointment of Allardyce for the same reasons, along with a new direction and way of doing things at the club.

You make so many good points and then take a giant plop all over your argument when you say such ridiculous things like: "which are much higher than Ashley's".

Just what kind of bullshit is that? You really think Ashley would rather own a mid-table club than a club competing for honors and qualifying for Europe? You really think the Halls and Shepherd are the only 2 ambitious fuckers out there in football? ffs!!!

I still don't see the logic in Ashley wanting us to do badly - or even to just be average.

If that was the case why would he spend £4.6M to sack Allardyce when things were going bad and then spend millions more to bring Keegan in to replace him (i.e. the most ambitious/ludicrous appointment he could have realistically made)? Surely at that time he was doing exactly what NE5 has just demanded he does now - making active movements to retain our Premiership status?

Aye, you can question his methods and his decisions, but I find it fairly mad to think he wants to own a "poor" football club.

The whole debate hurts my head to be honest, so many people blinded by different things on both sides.

I still don't see the logic in Ashley wanting us to do badly - or even to just be average.

If that was the case why would he spend £4.6M to sack Allardyce when things were going bad and then spend millions more to bring Keegan in to replace him (i.e. the most ambitious/ludicrous appointment he could have realistically made)? Surely at that time he was doing exactly what NE5 has just demanded he does now - making active movements to retain our Premiership table?

Aye, you can question his methods and his decisions, but I find it fairly mad to think he wants to own a "poor" football club.

The whole debate hurts my head to be honest, so many people blinded by different things on both sides.

Sorry Rich. You're a decent fella, but your argument is cack. Why? because NE5 and two others told us so.

Lets go back to the appointment of Allardyce, and the point made by HTT, when he said that it was thought to be a good appointment at the time of someone waiting for a big job, coupled with the fact that his track record suggested he could build a pretty good side with little money. Whether he could make the top 4 is arguable, and we won't now know, but it suggested that the Halls and Shepherd were aware of this need, in the short term.

i'd reckon ashleys ambition was to do aswell as possible without running up massive debt.........your way sees everton of having a lack of ambition, a lack that sees them regularly finish well clear off ambitious freds outfit.

Everton are just the team doing the best for the moment of a whole load of clubs that don't have the big ambition that they should. They are also skint by the way, and playing in a shitty old stadium because they can't get the money to do anything about it.

Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. If you are saying you would swap their last decade for ours, then I wouldn't agree, and if you are saying what they have done in the past decade is good enough for you, then thats up to you.   It;s this mistaken idea that you and others have that everybody else has done things better than us, and the grass is always greener. despite results to the contrary which is pretty daft like.

You thought the grass was greener when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club and now they have gone, we are sinking like a stone.

Has Shay Given gone yet ? All we need is Ashleys mouthpiece to come out again and say its "good business", and I'm sure a lot of gullible people will swallow it whole.

The demands for "instant success" coupled with lots of money being spent is also a joke, for what it's worth.

Especially when the bloke seemingly pushing that line goes and says Allardyce was a good appointment because he'd proven he was capable of building a "pretty good side with little money".

To me it looks like toys out of the pram because things aren't being done the way someone wants them to be done (from a purely personal perspective), but then I suppose we're all guilty of that now and again.

Everton are just the team doing the best for the moment of a whole load of clubs that don't have the big ambition that they should.

Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. If you are saying you would swap their last decade for ours, then I wouldn't agree, and if you are saying what they have done in the past decade is good enough for you, then thats up to you.   It;s this mistaken idea that you and others have that everybody else has done things better than us, and the grass is always greener. despite results to the contrary which is pretty daft like.

You thought the grass was greener when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club and now they have gone, we are sinking like a stone.

Has Shay Given gone yet ? All we need is Ashleys mouthpiece to come out again and say its "good business", and I'm sure a lot of gullible people will swallow it whole.

i'd swap their last 5 years for ours.

as for sinking like a stone i'll claim you are LYING if you think  it's only since fred left.

Everton are just the team doing the best for the moment of a whole load of clubs that don't have the big ambition that they should.

Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. If you are saying you would swap their last decade for ours, then I wouldn't agree, and if you are saying what they have done in the past decade is good enough for you, then thats up to you.   It;s this mistaken idea that you and others have that everybody else has done things better than us, and the grass is always greener. despite results to the contrary which is pretty daft like.

as for sinking like a stone i'll claim you are LYING if you think  it's only since fred left.

Either lying or he's very, very stupid.

Either lying or he's very, very stupid.

are you still happy with the progress we've made since the change of owner then, and previous to that, the buying and selling of the manager you backed all the way to turn into the new Alex Ferguson because he got rid of the "cancer" ?

I'm not talking about the last 5 years, I'm talking about the entire tenure of the chairman you are slating, not part of it.

Do you still think having an owner who runs the club down is no different to having an owner(s) who have ambition and have shown it ?

Amazing.

I'm not talking about the last 5 years, I'm talking about the entire tenure of the chairman you are slating, not part of it.

Do you still think having an owner who runs the club down is no different to having an owner(s) who have ambition and have shown it ?

Amazing.

We were careful with our spending when Bobby 1st took over, then we started spending more after a coulpe of seasons iirc.

The demands for "instant success" coupled with lots of money being spent is also a joke, for what it's worth.

Especially when the bloke seemingly pushing that line goes and says Allardyce was a good appointment because he'd proven he was capable of building a "pretty good side with little money".

To me it looks like toys out of the pram because things aren't being done the way someone wants them to be done (from a purely personal perspective), but then I suppose we're all guilty of that now and again.

you can think what you like. The phrase is meeting some of you lot halfway and conceding that the club needed to be careful, but I said this at the time in response to those among you who wet their knickers after every defeat urging the greedy fat bastard to splash the cash.

Not surprise you have also forgotten all those absurd posts though.

Amazing.

We were careful with our spending when Bobby 1st took over, then we started spending more after a coulpe of seasons iirc.

Well, if you are saying you expect Mike Ashley to show ambition in a year or two, then feel free.

I'll be surprised though. But he may also have to, when we are down a league, crowds are 20,000 and the penny drops with most of the daft posters who still back him, as well as himself.

Amazing.

Well, if you are saying you expect Mike Ashley to show ambition in a year or two, then feel free.

I'll be surprised though. But he may also have to, when we are down a league, crowds are 20,000 and the penny drops with most of the daft posters who still back him, as well as himself.

Do you expect an owner of Newcastle Utd to have to support the club out of his own money? If so, when did you change your mind?

Do you think that a club such as Newcastle Utd should be self sufficient? If so, how do you think that could be achieved?