What's the closest we've come?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chelsea semi for me.

Honourable mention for the season where Graveson took Bernard out at Goodison (always get the 3rd/4th place seasons mixed up).

Had we beaten Everton theat day we had a damn good shot at winning the league

Was that the game that Robert rocketed one in the top corner and Woodgate hit the bar?

Aye. They scored from Graveson's 'tackle' on Bernard.

Thought so, Kevin Campbell scored from a pen I think. That Robert goal was immense one touch out of his body and thumped it top corner from a tight angle.

A pre-pubescent Rooney scored as well, didn't he?

That was the match right before the Man United tonking. Pretty much cut us adrift from the pack and spoilt any chance we had of winning the title. Still probably wasn't the best chance we had to win silverware, that honour falls to the 95/96 season.

Guest timmy boy

The Sporting Lisbon defeat was truly spirit breaking.

Sporting was sickening, Man U the following weekend was soul destroying (although didn't Shola score?).

The fans were fantastic that day btw. The team did not deserve them one bit

Shola scored when we were 3-0 down to make it 3-1 then I think they scored straight away to make it 4-1.

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a fucking difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

Both of Chelsea's goals that day were decidedly dodgy. We had them all over for 90 minutes and when Rob Lee scored I was certain we'd get a second and go on to win it.

As people have mentioned the Lisbon game was a sickener, mainly because we (or should I say Souness) brought it on ourselves by dropping Robert from the squad completely. Once Dyer got injured we were fucked.

Guest firetotheworks

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a f***ing difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

It went down to the last day of the season, even after we had caved in.

i agree but at the end i didnt really deep down we'd get the title. i believed we would beat forest, but I couldnt see man united slipping up. With the Chelsea FA Cup match, and at the point when we went 1-0 up against Lisbon I truly believed we'd do it. And we should have.

95/96 was close, but we were a few months away from winning the title. The FA cup finals we had a game and were close but from start to finish in those matches never looked like winning. In my opinion the closest we've ever been is the FA cup semi final that we lost to Chelsea, simply because whoever won that match would certainly beat Villa at the time, and we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea. I still remember their second goal starting from a Dennis Wise free kick which was a rolling ball. The commentator made some remark about it not making a difference. Course it made a f***ing difference, it was part of their counter attack when we were trying to get people back to defend and they fuckin scored from it!  :rant:

It went down to the last day of the season, even after we had caved in.

i agree but at the end i didnt really deep down we'd get the title. i believed we would beat forest, but I couldnt see man united slipping up. With the Chelsea FA Cup match, and at the point when we went 1-0 up against Lisbon I truly believed we'd do it. And we should have.

Aye but there was still another game to play after that.

Although the atmosphere was amazing for the FA Cup semi at Cardiff I don't think we had any chance of winning that game from the off. We won off the field, but that doesn't win trophies. Butt, Robert and Kluivert were all poor and I'm sure Dyer and Bowyer were suspended.

In 03/04 and the UEFA Cup run under Bobby.

If it wasn't for that a stricken blow of injuries in the lead up to the 2nd Marseille game (or if one of the fantastic chances in the first leg had gone in), I think we would have won the cup that year.

The next year against Sporting was just as gut-wrenching. 2-0 up with a half to play, and we blew it. Completely threw me by suprise that night.

Easily 95-96.

If we'd held on to that late lead at Ewood, that would have been the title. Heartbreaking.

One of the reasons I hate Fenton for that is he seemed to enjoy it. Saying that mind so did Shearer every time he scored against us for Blackburn. So I don't even know why I mentioned it.

95/96 says it all really.

But we were a post away from winning the Cup, imo, Vs Arsenal. If Shearer's shot had gone in then who knows.....

The Sporting game has to be the lowest I've ever felt about anything. Ever. I think I cried myself to sleep that night... :lol: :weep:

Easily 95-96.

If we'd held on to that late lead at Ewood, that would have been the title. Heartbreaking.

One of the reasons I hate Fenton for that is he seemed to enjoy it. Saying that mind so did Shearer every time he scored against us for Blackburn. So I don't even know why I mentioned it.

Cos Fenton's a cunt, but Shearer isn't. :thup:

Kind of a shame you have to include 95/96 in the poll really, cos it's obviously the closest. Not being arsey btw there - just saying, it's undoubtedly streets ahead of anything else. 12 points clear and then not win - crazy.

I'd say the FA Cup semi in 2000 was the next closest. We'd have pissed Villa in the final.

3rd would be the Lisbon defeat. We were arguably the best side left in it and i think it's the only time i've properly sobbed after a match.

Then i'd say it was all relative after that. The UEFA Cup run over Bobby was good fun but we didn't nearly have the will-power, the squad or the fitness to overcome the likes of Valencia in the final, never mind Marseille in the semi. We were soundly beaten and deserved to get knocked out really, even though Gary Speed missed an absolute gilt-edged chance in the first game.

Ouch, btw. :(

But we were a post away from winning the Cup, imo, Vs Arsenal. If Shearer's shot had gone in then who knows.....

The Sporting game has to be the lowest I've ever felt about anything. Ever. I think I cried myself to sleep that night... :lol: :weep:

Dabizas hit the bar as well don't forget.

I also remember being optimistic going into the 99 Final thinking Man Utd would play a reserve side ahead of their Champions League Final...

Easily 95-96.

Cos Fenton's a c***, but Shearer isn't. :thup:

Cos Fenton's a mackem and Shearer isn't

Easily 95-96.

I thought he was from Whitley?

Easily 95-96.

Cos Fenton's a cunt, but Shearer isn't. :thup:

I always thought Shearer was a cunt when he was at Blackburn. Especially after that goal he scored at SJP when coming on as sub just after we got promoted.

Dabizas hit the bar as well don't forget.

I also remember being optimistic going into the 99 Final thinking Man Utd would play a reserve side ahead of their Champions League Final...

Christ, we really were miles away from the trophy on that occasion. Was blatantly obvious we were going to lose from the moment we kicked off. As you say, we even manage to nick the post the previous year. Manu though; was their's from the first minute.

i can only assume those voting prem 96/97 have got their years moxed up.

I agree that 95/96 and the Chelsea semi were the closer but I think people forget 96/97 too easily - we came pretty close to beating West ham which would have meant going to Old Trafford with a victory taking us top before the last game.

Obviously not a certainty but funnily enough I'd have trusted Dalglish to maybe pull it off.

Guest north shields lad

Easily 95-96.

I thought he was from Whitley?

He is, i used to drink in whitley catholic club and they had a picture of him in there, doidnt last long to be honest.

Easily 95-96.

Or beat Man Utd at home when we battered them first half but lost to Cantona's cunt punch of a goal.

shocker, was probably his only touch that game. he should have been banned for kicking a palace fan in the throat anyway.

Good, so I wasn't the only one getting teary-eyed after that Lisbon game then...

:lol:

I guess I should appreciate being so young when we came so close in the mid-90s. I was well aware of what was going on but being so young and living so far away it wouldn't have affected me as much.