Is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence? Or are the fans making him one?

The Prophet

Guest The Libertine

an interesting quote from march 2nd;

But Mort was quick to play down that speculation, saying of Wise's role: "When we interviewed Kevin for the manager's position we said we wanted a particular structure in place with someone experienced working with the board, particularly on recruitment and developing the Academy.

"At that time we had narrowed it down to two or three names and we gave those names to Kevin. He knew the structure and the individuals involved and we wanted to make sure he was comfortable with it."

Guest fading star

A more pertinent question in all this is why did Wise undermine Keegan?

Baring in mind this only happened on the last day of the window and there seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that Keegan DID have say on the transfers (reportedly tunring down a fair number of foreign targets) why was it that Wise et al felt they had to undermine Keegan in such a big way?

Is it a simple case of it always being the plan? In which case why didnt the underminng come much earlier or is there another reason?

there's a few quotes from mort from around january which basically say that keegan is just the coach. i think he had some say in the targets but they were unrealistic so wise and the other two had to get the players in as the end of the window was getting nearer.

There’s also quotes from Wise saying Keegan had the final say on transfers. Face it, the management structure Ashley put in place was/is garbage

Guest The Libertine

Baring in mind this only happened on the last day of the window and there seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that Keegan DID have say on the transfers (reportedly tunring down a fair number of foreign targets) why was it that Wise et al felt they had to undermine Keegan in such a big way?

Is it a simple case of it always being the plan? In which case why didnt the underminng come much earlier or is there another reason?

there's a few quotes from mort from around january which basically say that keegan is just the coach. i think he had some say in the targets but they were unrealistic so wise and the other two had to get the players in as the end of the window was getting nearer.

There’s also quotes from Wise saying Keegan had the final say on transfers. Face it, the management structure Ashley put in place was/is garbage

from keegan in january, 

"I talked with Dennis before the game and he wished us all the best. I knew he was one of two or three names put forward.

"There's been no deception, it's been very open. I'm fine. I pretty much know, from conversations we've had, what Dennis is going to do and the idea, in principle, is very good, to go and look for new players, to bring a lot of youngsters in.

"I'm all for the changes, it's not a problem, I approve of them. We had this discussion when I took the job.

"They want somebody on the board who understands football and Dennis Wise, whatever anybody wants to write about him, understands football. I know Dennis and I think it'll work very well.

he is disruptive not because he is dennis wise but because of the structure he is placed in. we could ship in another personality but the problem would still exist and it will until the structure, the communication and the boundaries are 100% clear for all involved (chairman, scouts, dof, manager, coaches, fans). Mind you, even then there's likely to be problems simply because the manager is the one who has to train, motivate and pick players for the team, if the decisions about signings are out of his hands, it makes his job harder. Jol did well in the system for a while, and as a dutchman you'd expect him to, but even he snapped and spurs have been in a bit of a tailspin since he left. even kinnear the most desperate manager we could find has had a grumble about our disorder and is using the signing of a contract as leverage to try and sort it out.

Guest fading star

from keegan in january, 

"I talked with Dennis before the game and he wished us all the best. I knew he was one of two or three names put forward.

"There's been no deception, it's been very open. I'm fine. I pretty much know, from conversations we've had, what Dennis is going to do and the idea, in principle, is very good, to go and look for new players, to bring a lot of youngsters in.

"I'm all for the changes, it's not a problem, I approve of them. We had this discussion when I took the job.

"They want somebody on the board who understands football and Dennis Wise, whatever anybody wants to write about him, understands football. I know Dennis and I think it'll work very well.

and...

Guest The Libertine

from keegan in january, 

and...

fucks sake.

he said, she said? get it?

Anyone fancy defining his role with accuracy?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman.Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

:buck2:

:buck2: x 1000

The first bit in bold implies that KK has/had total control but its sort of watered down by the second.

Ambiguous at best.

Wonder if this was intentional or just a coincidence?

Imo intentional without a doubt. They are very clever when you think about it, has lawyers written all over it. Still doesn't explain why they went to these lengths unless they thought KK would be willing to accept it.

Guest fading star

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman.Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

The first bit in bold implies that KK has/had total control but its sort of watered down by the second.

Ambiguous at best.

What was Mort's profession?

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you f***ing don't.

You don‘t you get it do you. Lawyers chose their words with great care, for interpreting them is their stock in trade. The ambiguity of Mort’s statement wasn’t a coincidence, it was deliberate. Which I believe was Offshores question.

Misdirection has been Ashley’s stock in trade, and misdirection only serves one purpose - to hide the truth.

he is disruptive not because he is dennis wise but because of the structure he is placed in. we could ship in another personality but the problem would still exist and it will until the structure, the communication and the boundaries are 100% clear for all involved (chairman, scouts, dof, manager, coaches, fans). Mind you, even then there's likely to be problems simply because the manager is the one who has to train, motivate and pick players for the team, if the decisions about signings are out of his hands, it makes his job harder. Jol did well in the system for a while, and as a dutchman you'd expect him to, but even he snapped and spurs have been in a bit of a tailspin since he left. even kinnear the most desperate manager we could find has had a grumble about our disorder and is using the signing of a contract as leverage to try and sort it out.

Aye that sums it up really, no-one knows if Wise went behind whoevers back etc but we do know that this system has failed so far and I think it's pretty clear it's not going to work very well with Kinnear either judging by what he has said.

Guest northwestmag1892

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you f***ing don't.

You don‘t you get it do you. Lawyers chose their words with great care, for interpreting them is their stock in trade. The ambiguity of Mort’s statement wasn’t a coincide, it was deliberate. Which I believe was Offshores question.

Misdirection has been Ashley’s stock in trade, and misdirection only serves one purpose - to hide the truth.

Misdirection has not been top of the list in terms of incompetency. However, a lack of communication with his paying customer has been the root cause of all this disharmony. And calm down...

Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread, but I can't see anything Dennis Wise has done wrong. From what we can see he seems to be doing a good job and coming up with some decent youngsters.

If he was Scottish or something instead of from London, and was a 'nicer guy', we wouldn't be having this discussion.

from keegan in january, 

"They want somebody on the board who understands football and Dennis Wise, whatever anybody wants to write about him, understands football. I know Dennis and I think it'll work very well. He'll report to me.

fyp

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you f***ing don't.

You don‘t you get it do you. Lawyers chose their words with great care, for interpreting them is their stock in trade. The ambiguity of Mort’s statement wasn’t a coincidence, it was deliberate. Which I believe was Offshores question.

No I do get it. You promised you were going to shut the fuck up, but not for the first time you were talking shite. :thup:

So why do you think Wise undermined him on the last day of the transfer window and not the first if this was always the case?

Guest fading star

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you f***ing don't.

No I do get it. You promised you were going to shut the f*** up, but not for the first time you were talking s****. :thup:

Of course you did

Theres also quotes from Wise saying Keegan had the final say on transfers. Face it, the management structure Ashley put in place was/is garbage

So why do you think Wise undermined him on the last day of the transfer window and not the first if this was always the case?

For me, the explanation that best fits the information we have is that Keegan was jerking everyone around until someone finally lost their temper and told him to fuck off. Getting sacked with compensation was always Keegan's main objective, and he took advantage of it.

Theres also quotes from Wise saying Keegan had the final say on transfers. Face it, the management structure Ashley put in place was/is garbage

For me, the explanation that best fits the information we have is that Keegan was jerking everyone around until someone finally lost their temper and told him to fuck off. Getting sacked with compensation was always Keegan's main objective, and he took advantage of it.

:jesuswept:

For me, the explanation that best fits the information we have is that Keegan was jerking everyone around until someone finally lost their temper and told him to f*** off. Getting sacked with compensation was always Keegan's main objective, and he took advantage of it.

:rolleyes:    ;D

"the system", to date, has surely worked fine?

"the problem" would appear to be the amount of finance that backs up the "the system"....if ashley gave the team that signed our summer players 30m to spend right now i'm fairly confident they'd bring in some good buys with it and we'd make a huge improvement

fact is, apparently, that squad wise (pardon the pun) someone somewhere has had to make a choice about which positions we strengthen and which we don't...what did we sign in the summer?:  1 x CB/LB, 1 x CB/RB, 1 x CM, 1 x LW/RW & 1 x ACM on loan...it addressed some problems we had but not others, doesn't seem to me ANYONE could have solved all our problems with what was available to spend, certainly not KK

the choice the people in charge of transfers were faced with is the equivalent of choosing between losing an arm or a leg....given sufficient freedom, i.e. backing, that choice wouldn't need to be made

yeah, but xisco has been an unnecessary signing, we didn't need another striker, we needed cover at LB too

To be honest, Xisco would appear to be the only dud signing made so far by this team, and even that maybe a little unfair. A young player coming to a new league in an underperforming team. He is nowhere near on a par with Luque or Boumsong in terms of daftness and no value for money. Xisco could probably be sold next year with much of what was paid out recouped. I also expect that he isn't on £3m a year like many other pre-Wise signings.

Personally, I think the transfer record so far has been good, albeit missing a couple of full backs - which hopefully will be put right this window.

yeah, but xisco has been an unnecessary signing, we didn't need another striker, we needed cover at LB too

forgot him, wonder why!  presume they thought (correctly) that viduka would never play and we needed a target man

agree that the 5m would have been better spent on a LB but then that'd be 11m worth of LB's we had at the club with kids like kadar coming through

as i said difficult choices eh?  perhaps they couldn't get anyone they saw as an improvement at LB for 5m but thought 5m for xissco was good business given his age and goals...

For me, the explanation that best fits the information we have is that Keegan was jerking everyone around until someone finally lost their temper and told him to f*** off. Getting sacked with compensation was always Keegan's main objective, and he took advantage of it.

An increasingly popular, unpopular theory.

:rolleyes:    ;D

Everyones happy to laugh and denoune it as rubbish but i dont see many alternative explanations being brought to the table.

Personally my theory is that Keegan didnt know the market well enough and struggled to find players who fit in with the clubs (now vindicated transfer policy), he constantly reminded everyone that premiership experience was vitally important but obviously this criteria would contradict the clubs transfer policy as there were few players who would fit into the young and premiership experience criteria, andwould provide value for money, Guthrie is an example of when Keegan got it right.

I think that the club brought the attention of many players to keegan but becasue he didnt know who they were and dint have an oppurtunity to see them in action he turned them down, i belive this process went on and on until Wise and co felt they had to act and hence the signing of Xisco and Nacho, we apparently had bids for Warnock and we also alledgedly had atouba on his way which shows that the club were looking to fill the LB spot.