Alan Smith

Dave

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1536042,00.html

Exclusive: Smudger Fired Up For Toon Fight

By Craig Hope

A DETERMINED Alan Smith emerged unscathed from his first competitive outing in nearly six months and afterwards declared - I'm fired up for the fight which lies ahead.

The 28-year-old was speaking openly and honestly to nufcTV after playing 65 minutes of Tuesday night's 3-0 Reserve-team defeat at Manchester City.

The run out marked Smith's return to action following six months of painstaking rehabilitation after fracturing his ankle just days before the opening game of the season at Manchester United.

During that time the straight-talking Yorkshireman has been linked with a move away from St.James' Park, but Smith is adamant there is only one place he wants to play his football.

"There was speculation about going to Everton but that was never the case and I just want to make that clear - I never wanted to go anywhere," he told nufcTV in an exclusive interview.

"That's also been the case recently when I was linked with Middlesbrough. As soon as I spoke to the manager he said I was in his plans and I wanted to stay again because I've got a lot to offer this football club.

"Newcastle is the place where I want to play my football and I have got a point to prove to a few people."

Smith now aims to put himself in the frame for the final four months of the campaign, a period in which he candidly admits the primary objective must be top-flight survival.

"Last season was tough for everyone and people have realised it's going to be a difficult season this time around again," he added.

"Everyone needs to stick together and hopefully I will be fit and available for the last 15 to 17 games or so.

"I played a lot last season having missed 18 months of football before that.

"I was looking to getting a good start this season but that's not materialised.

"But hopefully that means I will be fresh and available for the rest of the season."

He continued: "If anyone doesn't already know it, we are in a relegation fight.

"There's no point in hiding it. The Club knows that and we know it's a difficult period.

"We need everyone available and everyone playing. We need to roll our sleeves up and sacrifice ourselves for the team.

"The main aim is for this club to stay in the Premier League this year and then build and build again from there."

He can't possibly be as shit as he has been before, surely? :undecided:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Apparantly he score 8 goals in the reserves 3-0 victory.

I'm not fucking surprised he didn't want to move anywhere, where else would he get 55-65k/week? Joker

I await to be pleasantly surprised by him contributing something on the pitch.

I'm just hoping Moyes had someone at the reserve game to check on his fitness.

Everton still haven't signed a striker despite desperately needing at least one if not two.

I live in hope.

"Smudger Fired Up For Toon Fight"

When it comes to Alan Smith thats the last thing i want to hear.

ha ha ha

Exactly less fighting more football please. The guy just doesn't get it.

His whole career has been based on this silly hard man act.

Everton still haven't signed a striker despite desperately needing at least one if not two.

I live in hope.

Not exactly struggling are they? Can't see why Smith would help them.

Guest Gazmatron

Smith is good player, if we go down then in a few years time we will regret ever saying a bad word about players like Smith.

doesn't want to leave then, fuck

Of course he won't. Nobody will ever offer him anything close to the £60k a week he is on here.  Don't for a second believe that this man wants to stay for any other reason than to pick up his big pay check.

Guest Gazmatron

He wants to be here, that's a start.

£60k a week that no other club will pay him has something to do with that.

To be honest if i was at a club paying me 60k a week i would probably try and stay aswell. He is only human.

"That's also been the case recently when I was linked with Middlesbrough. As soon as I spoke to the manager he said I was in his plans and I wanted to stay again because I've got a lot to offer this football club."

Yeah, an expensive part to our wage bill.

I live in hope.

Not exactly struggling are they? Can't see why Smith would help them.

They did just get Anichebe back didn't they, forgot about that actually.  Damn it.

Well Moyes was interested before for some reason so I'm clutching onto that straw for dear life as it seems they have been looking for strikers this window.

It's one thing for him to be ineffective but his penchant for giving away freekicks that opponents tend to score from is ridiculous.

Butt does enough of that already we just can't afford this moron doing the same right now.

He wants to be here, that's a start.

£60k a week that no other club will pay him has something to do with that.

To be honest if i was at a club paying me 60k a week i would probably try and stay aswell. He is only human.

Doesn't mean he should get a  :thup: for wanting to stay.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Alan Smith is going to make a large difference to our team  up until the end of the season. IMO of course.

I agree. With him playing we're dead certs for relegation

Guest Slippery Sam

"That's also been the case recently when I was linked with Middlesbrough. As soon as I spoke to the manager he said I was in his plans and I wanted to stay again..."

If you read that sentence carefully, he is admitting he did want to leave! '..I wanted to stay again.."

Alan Smith is going to make a large difference to our team  up until the end of the season. IMO of course.

I agree. With him playing we're dead certs for relegation

Nice twist. However, I believe he is the sort of player we need on the pitch just to show a bit of fight and passion. Especially if we were to be drawn into a major relegation fight. I would have him in before Butt and Geremi I know that.

"That's also been the case recently when I was linked with Middlesbrough. As soon as I spoke to the manager he said I was in his plans and I wanted to stay again..."

If you read that sentence carefully, he is admitting he did want to leave! '..I wanted to stay again.."

shit the bed, and we didn't offer him a free transfer to anyone?

His wages off the books would save us £3m a year and would contribute to bringing down the club he goes to.