Alan Smith

Dave

The performance up front against Arsenal last season shows what he's capable of. He's not a midfielder, he's not a prolific goalscorer, he's a half decent target man who desperately needs to be given a second chance.

His confidence took a huge knock when he was asked to play on the right of a midfield three under Allardyce, everyones confidence was low at that time but Smith was never given the chance to start over with the fans under Keegan.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,47572.msg1096378.html#msg1096378

:kasper:

Another thing to note is that Kinnear seems to get a lot out of huff and puff strikers that are not that great tbh.

Shola has been good under him as well as Carroll.

We can only hope that Smith works well for him also.

We need this guy to perform really badly. Hopoe he's up for it.

Another thing to note is that Kinnear seems to get a lot out of huff and puff strikers that are not that great tbh.

Shola has been good under him as well as Carroll.

We can only hope that Smith works well for him also.

We need this guy to perform really badly. Hopoe he's up for it.

Shola as per usual under a new manager had a few decent games but has been garbage ever since.

To be fair to Shola he was apparently still not 100% on Sunday and he had been out a little while.

He just seems to be at least full of confidence whihc is vital. Yes, he can be really awful, but what i've always found even worse was when he compounded this by playing with a lack of confidence which made things far worse.

The way he took that penalty was a sign that he at least feels confident at the minute as Kinnear is at least showing some faith in him.

God help us. It's going to be a scary end to the seasont hat's for sure.

Shola or Smith next to Carroll (assuming Oba doesn't make it?

For me, I say Smith - both are disgraceful footballers, but after Stoller's strolling in the derby I'd be happy to have Smudger's "effort and determination".

I'd prefer Lovenkrands, but that requires JFK to make a brave call, so the Dane will be on the bench...

Guest firetotheworks

Theres no reason to suggest he'll serve up anything better than the garbage he churned out last time but Im willing to try anything at the moment, so I say bring him off the bench and play him up front if nothings working. Its worth a shot, no matter how far fetched it may seem.

Guest neesy111

a player we need, we need battler's like the team did in the 2nd half v the scum

are we going to get performance's like that for the rest of the season not likely, smudger should give us a little bit of fight which could be the difference between 1 or 2 points end of the season, him and nolan could work together in midfield

a player we need, we need battler's like the team did in the 2nd half v the scum

are we going to get performance's like that for the rest of the season not likely, smudger should give us a little bit of fight which could be the difference between 1 or 2 points end of the season, him and nolan could work together in midfield

There is a difference between "battlers" and a player who "has a bit of fight" and players who are just so limited they have to kick people!

Guest hobshobs

Give Alan Smith a chance for goodness sake.

Don't forget - first time around for Alan Smith was under Allardyce where the tactics were crap and the bottom line is that when he was played up front, the high ball to the small man wasn't the best of tactics (was it Sam!!!!!).

Hopefully see a new Alan Smith this time around, playing to his strengths and not the other way around.

Additionally, thought Enrique was superb on Saturday. Any coincidence he had Jonas playing down the left with him instead of either of the two laziest players I've witnessed in a while (Duff and N'Zogbia) in case you didn't know.

There is a difference between "battlers" and a player who "has a bit of fight" and players who are just so limited they have to kick people!

this

Don't forget - first time around for Alan Smith was under Allardyce where the tactics were crap and the bottom line is that when he was played up front, the high ball to the small man wasn't the best of tactics (was it Sam!!!!!).

Hopefully see a new Alan Smith this time around, playing to his strengths and not the other way around.

Additionally, thought Enrique was superb on Saturday. Any coincidence he had Jonas playing down the left with him instead of either of the two laziest players I've witnessed in a while (Duff and N'Zogbia) in case you didn't know.

what are hell are his strengths? he's a woeful excuse for a footballer

I would love him to come back a good player but if I am being honest there is more chance Viduka coming back pacey.

Guest hobshobs

what are hell are his strengths? he's a woeful excuse for a footballer

But my point is so was every single player in black and white under Allardyce, so give him a chance. Plus we're slowly weeding out the wasters like Charlie so he might just get a bit of support. Someone in black and white picking up a lose ball if he were to win it as opposed to half the team turning the other way as was happening last time he featured in the first team.

At what point have our tactics improved under Kinnear? He has his undroppable favourites like Allardyce and has no clues on how to use subs - when he eventually decides to use them.

And don't you forget that Smith had plenty of time to prove himself under Allardyce and then Keegan. We didn't improve as a team until he was dropped and then started losing when he came back in the 2nd half against Chelsea. And he was dogshit in the preseason matches I watched him in.

The term 'the type of player you need at the bottom' is one of my footballing pet hates as it applies almost exclusively to exactly the type of player you do not need - shit ones. No coincidence that the players to shine in the crunch derby weren't the battlers, grafters or even locals but three continental lads with some class about them.

My one memory of Smith is during the Derby home game last season, Duff got the ball twenty yards from goal and the whole South Stand shouted "SHOOT!". He then passed it to Smith, and then about half the stand shouted "DON'T SHOOT!"

:lol:

My one memory of Smith is during the Derby home game last season, Duff got the ball twenty yards from goal and the whole South Stand shouted "SHOOT!". He then passed it to Smith, and then about half the stand shouted "DON'T SHOOT!"

:lol:

You lucky bastard.