Kevin Nolan move to Hull denied by agent

Dokko

Guest battyleespeed

I thought he was pushing forward way too much and without any real effect. He's fairly big for CM so his runs in to the box are good to unsettle their defense but he is lacking pace to recover his position quickly and just like with Bowyer I don't think these runs are an effective tactic in a long run. Leaving Butt alone in the midfield is just asking for a trouble so instead of running in to the box all the time he'd do better to give another short pass alternative to wide players like Jonas who can't cross to save his life.

I liked the fact that when he received a pass he looked to switch sides unlike Butt who tends to keep the play at the same side or try the hollywood diagonal pass. 

I'm glad Shola converted the penalty, and it was a solid one too, but man was he fuckin' annoying. Lovenkrands should've come on at the beginning of the second half. I just don't get it... the whole Carroll/Ameobi combo when Xisco is on the bench, who at the very least could offer us something different than what Shola gave us yesterday.

He talked and shouted more in just the 90 minutes alone than any of wor lot have done all season, absolutely berating Shola for lack of movement and Carroll once for not dropping back to help the midfield. In that sense he was very good. Performance wise he put in a solid shift, nothing spectacular but nothing abysmal. A reasonably decent debut I'd say. I did notice in the first half he was being used as the defensive midfielder as he was reticent to get forward, in the second half he got forward more and made several good runs which begged a good ball, balls that never came in.

Even the Setanta commentators were saying something like "Look at Nolan, taking the lead of that huddle" during the team's prematch huddle, if remember correctly it was Nolan who was talking followed by Stevie Tayls and Harps.  That alone had me proud to see him playing - Nolan just signed 2 days prior and was already taking up an assumed role as a vocal leader. That speaks volumes on the type of player he is.

Though he played great, yeah he wasn't involved much in making runs with the ball (which is all some people on here seem to notice) but he was always in good open positions calling out for the ball. He was bossing not only the midfield but also the defence and the strikers. At one point he was telling Shola exactly where to stand and when he didn't move he gave him such a bollocking. Should definatly take over the captains arm band in my eyes and will be a great player to take over the role of holding up the ball and spreading the play about a bit.

He talked and shouted more in just the 90 minutes alone than any of wor lot have done all season, absolutely berating Shola for lack of movement and Carroll once for not dropping back to help the midfield. In that sense he was very good. Performance wise he put in a solid shift, nothing spectacular but nothing abysmal. A reasonably decent debut I'd say. I did notice in the first half he was being used as the defensive midfielder as he was reticent to get forward, in the second half he got forward more and made several good runs which begged a good ball, balls that never came in.

Even the Setanta commentators were saying something like "Look at Nolan, taking the lead of that huddle" during the team's prematch huddle, if remember correctly it was Nolan who was talking followed by Stevie Tayls and Harps.  That alone had me proud to see him playing - Nolan just signed 2 days prior and was already taking up an assumed role as a vocal leader. That speaks volumes on the type of player he is.

The promising thing is he wasn't just talking, at some points it looked like he was really shouting at them. Looked as pumped up as anyone for the game.

This.

I believe Nolan will get much better for us as time goes on and he gets more familiar with the players around him.

I remember being underwhelmed when we signed Alan Smith because I didn't think he was a particularly good footballer. This is similar, although I hope I'm proved wrong. Fancy skills aren't the be all and end all, but if Nolan was just a bit quicker I'd be more than happy with his type of player.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Heneage

Absolute bell-end. He's had previous with Anichebe but why any player goes in like that in the modern game baffles me. Why run the risk you stupid scouse bell end. I hope we fine him.

Now I don't want to kneejerk but I've really seen little to suggest this guy was worth getting in.

If he wasn't playing beside Butt he'd look a good player imo. He barely ever miss places his passes and does a steady if unspectacular job.

Now I don't want to kneejerk but I've really seen little to suggest this guy was worth getting in.

In the end, he's on a 4 and a half year deal. Time will tell.

I'm basing that on what I've seen so far and what I've seen at Bolton. I'm hardly writing him off, I'm just not that impressed. I don't think he's been a disaster either.

Guest Heneage

Nolan has just apologised to Anichebe.

Sorry but at 26 you should have enough experience and down right sense to know, don't dive in 2 footed on a player.