Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

Guest optimistic nit

Still a lie, and a very odd one at that.    bluelaugh.gif

So is Ashley’s plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

*£50m if you factor in recouping his £100m loan over the duration of the 5 year plan.

The wage bill is 70.4% of our operating expenses so that's got to be the most obvious area to go looking to make savings.  Targeting anything else as a starting point wouldn't make sense as the savings would me minimal in comparison.

In business you always go for savings in whatever area offers the greatest gains, 10% of a 100 is better than 50% of 5.

what a load of shite

mackems.gif

what the fuck? surely when wages are 70.4% and a lot of that goes on players like owen and smith who are (most of the time in owens case) completely useless to us surely it makes sense to start saving there. cut smith, owen, geremi and ameobi for starters of the wagebill and we'll lose over 200K, possibly over 250K A WEEK and what exactly have we lost in terms of playing staff. use some of that money to hire a manager who the players want to play for, spend 20mill or more on transfers to signal our intent and we'll be back in business imo. not that ashley and co will do all that, but thats what needs to be done.

we have a very large turnover 17th in europe as mentioned in another thread, and if we stop giving 60K contracts a week to players like smith (thats you ashley) we should be in a position to challenge again.

Guest Brummiemag

Can some people still not see that Mike Ashley is determined to recoup his investment?

I've been out tonight with a Man U season ticket holder (who knows his futty and respects newcastle fans) 2 blue noses, 3 villa fans, a wolves fan. and 3 newcastle fans and they all think Ashley is the worst owner in the Premier league. They all without exception think the only reason he's still there is because he cant sell up at a price which will recoup his outlay.

Not one person thinks he has the interests of the club at heart.

Please convince me they are all wrong?

Can some people still not see that Mike Ashley is determined to recoup his investment?

I've been out tonight with a Man U season ticket holder (who knows his futty and respects newcastle fans) 2 blue noses, 3 villa fans, a wolves fan. and 3 newcastle fans and they all think Ashley is the worst owner in the Premier league. They all without exception think the only reason he's still there is because he cant sell up at a price which will recoup his outlay.

All he's done since the day he bought the club is hand over money, that says more than any Man U season ticket holder telling you the opposite.

Guest optimistic nit

why would they know better than newcastle fans? all they rely on for their toon knowlege is most likely the newspapers, sky and motd, and since when have they ever been relyable sources of knowlege. i assume this because by and large thats where my knowlege of their clubs come from, and thats why i never jump to conclusions about other teams.

i'm not saying ashley may not be in to recoup his investment, but why are you taking other fans opinions of your club as being better than your own/ ours? i know lots of fans of other clubs, being a toon fan from london who is attending uni and can tell you that the fans who are quick to comment about other clubs are the ones who talk the most shite.

its not that black and white ashley may well be in to get his money back but i dont see how anyone from a fans vantage point can see that for certain and there's also a good chance he still thinks he can get us back there.

Guest optimistic nit

But Mick, he tried to sell up

Who gives a f*** what these friends of yours think?

Who gives a fuck what you think

he did but a) it was virtually impossible for him to continue as chairman and b) he'd shown no indication what so ever before that, that he wanted to sell.

i'm more worried about ashley's ability as owner and llamblas' as chairman than askley's motivations tbh. they have been extremely unproffessional since keegan's departure and while they have done very well in the transfer market with the players they've bought, we haven't stregnthened enough (which is sort of understandable given our wage bill and burning our fingers with smith last season but still.)

He tried to sell up because that's what we as fans wanted, he refused to return calls when Man City's new owners were interested in us, that was before Keegan left.

If we knew then what we know now, would supporters have been more accepting of Sams negative approach? Grinding out enough results to avoid relegation is, after all, pretty much Mr Ashleys plan .

If we were actually grinding out results...

He tried to sell up because that's what we as fans wanted, he refused to return calls when Man City's new owners were interested in us, that was before Keegan left.

Where you find this?

I thought he just asked for a load of money, which can be read in two ways.

they are all absolutely correct, but you can bet that a few particular people on here would tell you whatever Mike Ashley does is wonderful, even if we get relegated and end up like Sheff Wed they will still think he's doing all the right things for the club and so long as he doesn't "embarrass them" [whatever that means, poor dears] he will be just, er, great.

I noticed Fred & Alan at opening of the Sir Bobby Cancer Trials Research Centre yesterday anyone know if anyone was there representing the club?

is that Alan Shearer, associating with despite being mortally wounded at being called Mary Poppins by Fred ?

So is Ashleys plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

*£50m if you factor in recouping his £100m loan over the duration of the 5 year plan.

The wage bill is 70.4% of our operating expenses so that's got to be the most obvious area to go looking to make savings.  Targeting anything else as a starting point wouldn't make sense as the savings would me minimal in comparison.

In business you always go for savings in whatever area offers the greatest gains, 10% of a 100 is better than 50% of 5.

what a load of shite

mackems.gif

How is that a load of shite? Mick is spot on there, both in his analagy at the bottom with regards to the %'s and he's also right about the wage bill. If it is indeed 70.4% of expenditure (and I have no reason to doubt it) then that has to be the first place he looks at trimming. Obviously if someone was on £100,000 a week but got 35 goals a season or whatever then that would justify the wages, but when you look at the likes of Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Cacapa etc, these players offer nothing to the squad because they are either shite, made of glass, or both. In some cases (Smith, Cacapa, Viduka) we're basically paying them for nothing, as well as covering the cost of their rehab and physio.

I'd like to see you explain how that post is shite. My guess is just because it was Mick who posted it, maybe you should actually read it? It makes sense.

So is Ashley’s plan to reduce the wage bill by £30m* a season, or does he have another strategy for balancing the books?

what a load of shite

mackems.gif

How is that a load of shite? Mick is spot on there, both in his analagy at the bottom with regards to the %'s and he's also right about the wage bill. If it is indeed 70.4% of expenditure (and I have no reason to doubt it) then that has to be the first place he looks at trimming. Obviously if someone was on £100,000 a week but got 35 goals a season or whatever then that would justify the wages, but when you look at the likes of Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Cacapa etc, these players offer nothing to the squad because they are either shite, made of glass, or both. In some cases (Smith, Cacapa, Viduka) we're basically paying them for nothing, as well as covering the cost of their rehab and physio.

I'd like to see you explain how that post is shite. My guess is just because it was Mick who posted it, maybe you should actually read it? It makes sense.

perhaps you should read some of my posts which are factually based, you may reach better judgements if you do. I don't suppose the irony that you for instance also disagree with anything I say because it's me.

My reference to "load of shite" is two fold. One in that it is nothing to do with the topic title !! and two, anything to defend Ashley.

Making a profit is no good if you are playing in the 2nd division and a half full stadium, if that is where we end up, although with a half full stadium it might be even more difficult to make a profit, it certainly won't improve any chance of getting back into europe.

He's doing a particularly shite job of it then, isn't he!?! :lol:

Simple logic suggests that you and your friends are wrong, try and answer this question and you'll hopefully figure it out:

Why would Ashley invest a huge amount of his personal fortune in what everyone knows is a highly risky business then spend a few years of his life putting in all the work and effort and getting all the grief associated with running a football club, simply to get his money back.

Some things to consider:

- He could have left his money in the bank and earned interest with zero risk and zero effort/grief involved.

- He could have invested in other industries which would have given him a much higher rate of return for a much lower risk.

- He could have invested in a different team, which would have given him potential to make a bigger profit. eg buy a Championship side get them promoted, keep them up a couple of seasons, sell them on.

- He could have tried to buy a Premiership club that gave him a better chance of making money.

they are all absolutely correct, but you can bet that a few particular people on here would tell you whatever Mike Ashley does is wonderful, even if we get relegated and end up like Sheff Wed they will still think he's doing all the right things for the club and so long as he doesn't "embarrass them" [whatever that means, poor dears] he will be just, er, great.

Link?

Link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

He's doing a particularly s**** job of it then, isn't he!?! :lol:

Simple logic suggests that you and your friends are wrong, try and answer this question and you'll hopefully figure it out:

Why would Ashley invest a huge amount of his personal fortune in what everyone knows is a highly risky business with spend a few years of his life putting in all the work and effort and getting all the grief associated with running a football club, simply to get his money back.

Some things to consider:

- He could have left his money in the bank and earned interest with zero risk and zero effort/grief involved.

- He could have invested in other industries which would have given him a much higher rate of return for a much lower risk.

- He could have invested in a different team, which would have given him potential to make a bigger profit. eg buy a Championship side get them promoted, keep them up a couple of seasons, sell them on.

- He could have tried to buy a Premiership club that gave him a better chance of making money.

You make a good point.  I'm personally unsure of the bloke.

Football teams, especially in England have been seeing so many billionaire takeovers that could be an argument he wants to get us into a better position and then sell us off.  He tried to sell us off for alot more then we were worth after KK.  Everyone including the tea lady told him needs to lower his price.  On that point, he didn't try too hard to state his case, gave into supporters pressure almost immediately.

Secondly, he may not have known what he was getting himself into.  He see's us sell out our stadium week in, week out with on paper top players, underperforming - maybe even thinking he was grabbing a bargain.  Too good to refuse so grabs at it, then being stung with true state of our finances and having to begrudgingly support us to protect his investment.

Thirdly, how many people in the world had ever heard of Mike Ashley before he took us over? for a reclusive man he was enjoying all the popularity he was receiving at the start.