NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's more support than protest if you ask me.

it was always going to be, just people on here who had the fixation with a protest despite over 2 weeks when it was announced and stressed that it wouldn't be a protest but we still get 2 or 3 threads 18-20 pages long talking about a protest that was never going to happen!!

Did you listen to the meeting? They spoke about it there.

i was at the meeting, i know what was said, i also posted the minutes of the meeting that went in the Times Newspaper when it states that NUSC are emphasising RALLY not PROTEST.

fwiw i think the events on Sunday could backfire on NUSC as i can't see that many people turning up, apathy is rife among toon fans and there's too many fans who will be more than happy to be getting a few pints down their necks and will stay in the pub.

Guest VegasToon

I listened to it.  Sounded to me like a protest and then a march to the stadium was planned.  What was the saying "they can't stop all of us going to the match together?"

Guest VegasToon

Why does Ashley spend the money investing in the acadamy?

Why buy a Ranger, Innan, or Vuckic? 

Come on you Ashley penny pinchers, asset strippers, please tell me why Ashley is spending on the acadamy?

Why does Ashley spend the money investing in the acadamy?

Why buy a Ranger, Innan, or Vuckic? 

Come on you Ashley penny pinchers, asset strippers, please tell me why Ashley is spending on the acadamy?

wtf are you talking about

Do you believe in fairies or something ?

http://www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk/events.php

Latest information released by NUSC:

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of Newcastle United and where it stands in our hearts. NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

The timetable is as follows

+2pm - entertainment by the Newcastle Drum Band

2.30pm speaking opportunity

2.50pm - musical interlude

3.00pm - second speaking opportunity

3.10pm - live music from "Oh Lads"

3.20pm third speaking opportunity

3.30pm musical finale and orderly disperse to St James' Park for what hopefully will be 3 well earned points come 6pm.

(these times are flexible and may be liable to change)

the "staging" area will be at the south side of the monument facing down towards Grey St.

The whole emphasis will be on generating a fun, carnival atmosphere. We hope to have flags and banners on display and we welcome supporters to bring along and display their own flags. There will be an opportunity for those who wish to, to take up membership of NUSC.

Some members have requested that NUSC petition the executives of Newcastle United therefore members will be seeking support for the petition during the course of the rally.

There will be stewards on hand, wearing hi visibility jackets who will be there to assist anyone who requires help and a low key but nonetheless obvious police presence will be in the vicinity; as there would be on any normal match day.

NUSC politely request that those attending the rally pay respect to those who wish to go about their normal sunday shopping experience and allow them to do so with the minimum of distraction. We would also like to emphasise that this is not a protest and no march is planned or sanctioned nor permission requested by NUSC.

They have got to be taking the piss.

Can't believe I'm saying this but, after reading that pukey drivvel  I think I preferred it when they just hurled insults and sang "sack the board"

Are we going to have a "join hands for Keegan" moment ?

That would certainly enhance the protest experience.

Damned if they do....

How will you contribute to raising the desire to speak in a unified voice?

By coming on here and arguing with the naysaying divvies.

I'm afraid you've drifted a bit "off message" here. Please internalise the core message "unity is strength" and adjust your hemline accordingly.

So there's nothing whatsoever they can do that you'll approve of?

Why not do what the Magpie Group did to oust McKeag? Find an investor who will challenge Ashley like the Magpie Group championed John Hall? That way the NUSC would not just be carping hopelessly but actually providing an alternative solkution.

the 2 major points with this one, is that nobody else is on the horizon yet to do what Sir John did, and Malcolm Dix, and also that the situation is nowhere near as dire as the one under McKeag, Westwood - yet - whatever anyone who wasn't there may say to the contrary.

This is why I have posted a few times that the NUSC need to get a profile figure on board to get them publicity, is GOOD publicity, because there is no doubt that their motives are spot on.

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of Newcastle United and where it stands in our hearts. NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

3.30pm musical finale and orderly disperse to St James' Park for what hopefully will be 3 well earned points come 6pm.

the "staging" area will be at the south side of the monument facing down towards Grey St.

The whole emphasis will be on generating a fun, carnival atmosphere. We hope to have flags and banners on display and we welcome supporters to bring along and display their own flags. There will be an opportunity for those who wish to, to take up membership of NUSC.

Some members have requested that NUSC petition the executives of Newcastle United therefore members will be seeking support for the petition during the course of the rally.

There will be stewards on hand, wearing hi visibility jackets who will be there to assist anyone who requires help and a low key but nonetheless obvious police presence will be in the vicinity; as there would be on any normal match day.

NUSC politely request that those attending the rally pay respect to those who wish to go about their normal sunday shopping experience and allow them to do so with the minimum of distraction. We would also like to emphasise that this is not a protest and no march is planned or sanctioned nor permission requested by NUSC.

Can't believe I'm saying this but, after reading that pukey drivvel  I think I preferred it when they just hurled insults and sang "sack the board"

Damned if they do....

I'm afraid you've drifted a bit "off message" here. Please internalise the core message "unity is strength" and adjust your hemline accordingly.

A strange conclusion that evidences an inability to think out of the box.

thinking "inside the box" is backing Ashley then  mackems.gif

Put this one down to yet another crap judgement of yours, although you might apply your unique gift of hindsight later again  mackems.gif

Damned if they do....

Why not do what the Magpie Group did to oust McKeag? Find an investor who will challenge Ashley like the Magpie Group championed John Hall? That way the NUSC would not just be carping hopelessly but actually providing an alternative solkution.

the 2 major points with this one, is that nobody else is on the horizon yet to do what Sir John did, and Malcolm Dix, and also that the situation is nowhere near as dire as the one under McKeag, Westwood - yet - whatever anyone who wasn't there may say to the contrary.

This is why I have posted a few times that the NUSC need to get a profile figure on board to get them publicity, is GOOD publicity, because there is no doubt that their motives are spot on.

and ironically their aims are "anyone but ashley". very much in the "anyone but fred" vein.

Damned if they do....

and ironically their aims are "anyone but ashley". very much in the "anyone but fred" vein.

I think if you have followed my posts as seems to be the case, you will know that I have said - incredibly - that we actually could do worse than Ashley.

The odds are about the same as those of finding someone who would do better than the Halls and Shepherd.

Damned if they do....

I think if you have followed my posts as seems to be the case, you will know that I have said - incredibly - that we actually could do worse than Ashley.

The odds are about the same as those of finding someone who would do better than the Halls and Shepherd.

wrong......the whole point is in someone to take us forward from where we are NOW.

if ashley had won us the league 5 years a go and we were now in this position your logic (?) says to keep him there and support him.

Damned if they do....

To add to this, the problem about getting hold of a so-called 'White Knight' to challenge Ashley is that the situation is TOTALYY different from when the Magpie Group challenged McKeag;-

1.Ashley is FAR richer than McKeag was, and it was relatively inexpensive for Sir John to outmatch him financially ; today, we would need a rich Arab to outmatch Ashley comfortably

2.The club's shares are ALL owned by Ashley - during the last takeover we at the Magpie Group were able to buy shares from other shareholders(including Board members)and so weaken McKeag's grip - eventually, there was a stalemate which ended when the club was on the point of going bust..

3.The financial outlook worldwide is dire and people who MIGHT have bought the club are not in the running anymore 

It will be VERY difficult to find anyone willing to challenge Ashley for ownership unless they are prepared to pay BIG money for the club, and Ashley is willing to sell, so unless there is a sudden change of heart by Ashley, the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future, and the only means of protest available to fans which can hurt the owners is a boycott - something I cannot see right now, but there is no doubt that disillusion is setting in with many fans..

Damned if they do....

wrong......the whole point is in someone to take us forward from where we are NOW.

if ashley had won us the league 5 years a go and we were now in this position your logic (?) says to keep him there and support him.

but he didn't.

If however he had shown that he knew how to be successful, then I would have a belief that he could do it again, yes. I think this is your point, is it not ?

Damned if they do....

but he didn't.

If however he had shown that he knew how to be successful, then I would have a belief that he could do it again, yes. I think this is your point, is it not ?

no. it's always taken more than "they've done it before" to convince me " they can do it again".....no matter who it is.

Damned if they do....

To add to this, the problem about getting hold of a so-called 'White Knight' to challenge Ashley is that the situation is TOTALYY different from when the Magpie Group challenged McKeag;-

1.Ashley is FAR richer than McKeag was, and it was relatively inexpensive for Sir John to outmatch him financially ; today, we would need a rich Arab to outmatch Ashley comfortably

2.The club's shares are ALL owned by Ashley - during the last takeover we at the Magpie Group were able to buy shares from other shareholders(including Board members)and so weaken McKeag's grip - eventually, there was a stalemate which ended when the club was on the point of going bust..

3.The financial outlook worldwide is dire and people who MIGHT have bought the club are not in the running anymore 

It will be VERY difficult to find anyone willing to challenge Ashley for ownership unless they are prepared to pay BIG money for the club, and Ashley is willing to sell, so unless there is a sudden change of heart by Ashley, the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future, and the only means of protest available to fans which can hurt the owners is a boycott - something I cannot see right now, but there is no doubt that disillusion is setting in with many fans..

that is also very true. The NUSC needs all the support it can get. Not the opposite. But as you say, disillusion is setting in, and it can accelerate quite quickly. Lets hope it doesn't take decades for a "Halls and Shepherd" to come along and get rid of him

Damned if they do....

but he didn't.

no. it's always taken more than "they've done it before" to convince me " they can do it again".....no matter who it is.

Have it your way. The Halls and Shepherd paid the price, I hope you are pleased with the result

Damned if they do....

but he didn't.

Have it your way. The Halls and Shepherd paid the price, I hope you are pleased with the result

i don't think the result would have been much different (except i think allardyce could well have took us down)

They tried to get Joan Baez but the finances wouldn't stretch to it.

have you decided if you agree with protests or not ?

Surely that would depend on what the protest is about?

its about unhappiness with how the club is run. As ozzie was fully behind a protest about the last board, as I have linked, why does he ridicule the idea when someone else is the target ?

Basically toonlass, he just likes his one liners, which aren't funny in the slightest, and doesn't like the same back. Unless he is happy with how Ashley is running the club, but he hasn't told us this either as he's not one for opinions Ozzie, just hindsight later.

Bit behind the times NE5. Anyway, are you going to the "rally" on sunday?

That would negatively impact his pre-match drinking experience, though he might have a "shake the drops off for Freddie" moment.

tsch, no reply as usual. Careful you don't whinge on when someone gives you the one liners back.

What exactly do you think of the merits of appointing a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards ? Would that make it 4 out of 6 appointments that you agreed with ?

Never mind, IF you go to the game, you can always have a pint for Graeme for selling the "cancer".

seriously, when i accidentally read this now i fall into a momentary trance...like the hypo-toad out of futurama :lol:

- no indication given any more of how long the wait will be on the phone

Man the barricades!

All these penny pinching changes, which may seem trivial to some, mean more revenue for Ashley

Yeah, he's really coining it at our expense. :lol:

Back in summer 2008 it all looked so rosy. Allardyce was out, Keegan was in, we were buying £10M defenders, Chris Mort was chatting regularly to fans both through the media and directly to popular websites and we were hiring opera singers to rattle the bones of Mackems with stirring renditions of The Blaydon Races. We were all heartened to hear things like

“Over the course of the year I’ve spoken to lots of fans about how we can improve things at St James’ Park"

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/23/united-s-bid-to-bring-back-the-noise-72703-20965096/

And it seemed they might have. That quote came along with sweeping changes to the layout at St James with more space for kids, reduced rate season ticket renewals, and 3 year direct debits to help us all spread the cost.

So where did it all go wrong? We as fans are merely outsiders looking in so we’ll probably never be told the full story of Keegangate, but even if that sorry saga had not occurred, the story of the NUFC box office telephone number is indicative of the contempt which fans now seem to be held in irrespective of activities on the footballing side of things.

When the club changed the box office number from a local 0191 to a revenue generating 0844 it was done with no announcement and no explanation. Calling the old number now gets you through to an answer machine that provides the new number and nothing else. Call the new number and you’re told your call might be recorded and nothing else. Despite the club saying nothing, we all know this is going to cost us money right, but how much?

"01/02 phone numbers are used for everyday local and national calls and can be included in any free or discounted minutes on your tariff. If you don’t have inclusive minutes for these, you’ll typically pay around 4p per minute (ppm) peak and around 1.5ppm off-peak from landlines.Virgin Media charges 3.25ppm off-peak. Connection fees may apply. Most landline tariffs include free weekend calls to these numbers. Pay as you go mobile rates range from around 5ppm to 20ppm.”

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/premium-rate-numbers/call-charges-explained/index.jsp

So, at best your calls to the box office were previously free, at worst they were 20p a minute.

“0844 is a revenue-sharing number that is not included in 'free' or discounted minutes. Calls to 0844 phone numbers cost up to 5p a minute from landlines at all times of day, and typically between 15p (if you're a 3 mobile customer) and 40p per minute from mobiles. Depending on your network, call charges may be higher on pay as you go than on a contract."

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/premium-rate-numbers/call-charges-explained/index.jsp

Now your calls will definitely cost you something, perhaps more than 40p a minute. So let’s say I’m a contract mobile using season ticket holder who always knows what’s going on at the club, I never want to make any enquiries, I know when tickets are on sale and I only want to buy my away tickets. I’m going to average the length of a call at 10 minutes for the day they go on sale, though it’s usually longer than that.

10 minutes at 40 pence per minute = £4 per game

19 game’s per season at £4 per game = £76 per season

All of a sudden, that £50 reduction in season ticket price I got for paying 3 years up front isn’t looking as good as it did at the time. Even if you were paying the most it was possible to pay for your calls previously (on pay as you go), you’re still going to be at least £38 down just to be in a position to then pay for tickets, and that’s a conservative estimate which doesn’t include cup games, friendlies or the inevitable queries.

Mind, us season ticket holders should be grateful, everyone else is encouraged to buy a 12th Man membership for £30. That gives them the privilege of being able to call in advance of a public sale. So using the same calculation above you have to assume it could be costing them over £100 a season just to get into a position where they are able to buy a ticket.

The club don’t seem to deem this information worthy of being highlighted before asking you to use the new number. Even though the justification for it can easily be made. Clearly we should all start using their online booking system. It has been an excellent system whenever I’ve used it and can’t be recommended strongly enough. It’s entirely free too. Once everyone has started using it, half the staff in the box office can be sacked, more savings will be made at the club and it won’t cost anyone a penny to book tickets.

So why not come out and tell us this? Maybe it’s because those people without internet access would still have no way to avoid being shafted. It couldn't be that keeping us in the dark on this generates them more revenue for nothing, could it?

If you'd like to complain (about the cost of contacting the club or anything else), that'll cost you too. The number is 0844 372 1892 ext. 8475.

Not all customers have to use the premium line though, corporate bookings can still be made on 0191 201 8602.

http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com/

bluerazz.gif

Oh look! NE5 has finally noticed the global recession!

i dont think the global recession has had that  much effect on our position.....except ashley couldn't find a buyer

It's also had a big effect on Ashley's personal fortune and his other businesses.

it has but ashley said he would put 20mil a year in before the crunch hit and it seems thats what he's doing.