NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FWIW I'm not saying people are not entitled to their opinion on the NUSC and their aims, there are elements that I feel could have been dealt with better too.

It just irritates me that some are so snidey about it and eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum.

Ban all discussion of it, then.

If there IS discussion, then those critical of the NUSC will of course have their say, and you will be irritated.

Can you not read? How wonderfully ironic that you of all people are resorting to such rubbish.

OK, I'm wrong. There is some way one can have a discussion about NUSC without those who think it's a bunch of wank expressing that opinion and you being irritated by it.

FWIW I'm not saying people are not entitled to their opinion on the NUSC and their aims, there are elements that I feel could have been dealt with better too.

It just irritates me that some are so snidey about it and eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum.

If there IS discussion, then those critical of the NUSC will of course have their say, and you will be irritated.

Can you not read? How wonderfully ironic that you of all people are resorting to such rubbish.

OK, I'm wrong. There is some way one can have a discussion about NUSC without those who think it's a bunch of wank expressing that opinion and you being irritated by it.

You seem very concerned with what irritates me. I'm alright, honestly.

You seem very concerned with what irritates me. I'm alright, honestly.

You brought it up. I just think this attitude of "it shouldn't be criticised by anonymous posters on a discussion board" is as daft as the idea that everyone should get on board because they are "doing something".

Again for some reason you miss my point. I wasn't saying nobody should criticise on here; in fact I specifically said they should be able to and they are. My irritation is with the smug, cynical and often personal manner of some of the criticisms which I feel isn't required.

For the last time. People who are opposed to NUSC do not have to go along and should not feel obliged or be pressured to do so. The NUSC supporters are essentially saying that if you're a nufc fan then you have to be involved with NUSC, that's total bollocks!! When they are a supporters' club then supporters will get involved, whilst they're a protest group only protesters will join. It's a very simple concept i'm surprised so many are struggling with it.

How do you expect their position to change when nearly everyone who turns up is supportive of the original position, which was based on the feelings of the people who turned up originally? They are representing the feelings of the vast majority of the people who go to their meetings, why would they do any different?

I don't expect their position to change regardless of whether people turn up to oppose, it or not.

Are you seriously claiming that a whole load of people just happened to randomly turn up in the same place at the same time and after having gone into the room with a totally open mind they came out hating Ashley's guts, wanting him out and having formed NUSC!?!

NUSC was set up as a protest group, it remains a protest group, it is not a supporters' club, whatever it says on the tin.

Do you think the BNP would decide to change to stop being a load of racist cunts and change all their policies if a load of black people went to their meetings and joined their party? If a load of City traders started turning up at the Communist Party meetings, do you think they'd renounce collective ownership and "to each according to their needs", put up a framed picture of Maggie Thatcher and hand out red braces and blue shirts with white cuffs and collars to all their members?

Of course they wouldn't!

NUSC's agenda was set before it even existed, it has consistently stuck to that agenda throughout it's existence and will continue to do so, it will not change, whether I and those like me, sign up or not. You've listened to the meeting, are you really telling me that the couple of people who made comments that weren't obviously anti-Ashley were taken seriously?

Apart from anything, and I keep bringing this up and hardly anyone responds, but NUSC are doing a shit job of representing their members anyway. A grand total of 3 meetings in 6 months, of which only one was a genuine NUSC meeting, does that really sound like an organisation that wants to find out what its members want and then discuss with them how to go about getting it? I'd have thought that an organisation in it's infancy like NUSC, would be all about meetings and discussion, how else do you form the goals and aims of such a thing? The only reason I can think of for having so few meetings would be if there was no need to find out and discuss what the club was all about, if that was already decided and went without saying, yet I'm reliably told that they'll listen to me if I go along and might even change their direction as a result. :lol: They don't even listen to the people who agree with them, why the fuck would they listen to me and others who disagree. NUSC is not about debate, it's about a few people trying to gather support behind their agenda, that agenda is getting Ashley out at all costs. If you don't have the same agenda NUSC is not the place for you...

...but they'll happily take your tenner off you. O0

Seriously though, what benefit have NUSC had for their members?

I wouldn't even join NUSC if I agreed with them.

I'd expect those organisations would soon disappear if nobody held positions similar to their original core values. If nobody had turned up and given the clear direction which was to protest and try get Ashley out then there probably wouldn't even be an NUSC by now; it would just be a small group of angry fans. The fact is there were a LOT of angry fans, many of whom have been willing to pay money to support the NUSC. Many are still angry now. As HTT says, the 'Ashley out' agenda was what brought NUSC about in the first place.

Until the likes of the 100+ people voting on this poll turn up, I doubt they'll be considering their position. Is it their fault that they are still being told by the vast majority of their members and those who go to the meetings that we are best boycotting the club and trying to force Ashley out? It's clear from the audio link that they still represent the views of that vast majority.

If you think they are actively damaging the club you care about then I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what you and others that find it so easy to mock are doing to tell them other opinions exist and arguing your particular case. Alternatively if you don't give a shit about them and think they're a waste of time, why bother with all the slagging off in threads such as this one?

Who's saying that they don't have the support of the majority of their members? Who's denying that a lot of fans agree with them? What has that got to do with me disagreeing with them? I'm still allowed to do that even if everyone agrees with them.

That fact remains however, that a significant proportion of fans do not agree with them and have no desire to join or participate in a group that does not represent them, they are entitled to do that.

The problem arises because NUSC claims to speak on behalf of all NUFC fans, they refer to the fans as a whole and give off the impression that every fan is totally behind them, that is a lie. NUSC also claims to be a supporters' club representing the fans on a range of issues, that is also a lie.

When someone claims to represent me, but doesn't; when someone claims to speak on my behalf, but doesn't; I'm entitled to complain, I'm entitled to criticise, I'm entitled to take the fucking piss.

If people want to argue against my points then they are entitled to do so, but to simply suggest that I shouldn't give my opinion suggests that you have no counter argument.

What difference does it make if I give my opinion on here or at a NUSC meeting, nothing will change, yet if I do it on here I won't have spent money on train fare and membership fees to "enjoy" a night in the company of people I almost totally disagree with.

Again for some reason you miss my point. I wasn't saying nobody should criticise on here; in fact I specifically said they should be able to and they are. My irritation is with the smug, cynical and often personal manner of some of the criticisms which I feel isn't required.

Sorry, then. It's just that when you said you were irritated by people being eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum, I took it to mean that you were irritated by people being eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum.

Sorry, then. It's just that when you said you were irritated by people being eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum, I took it to mean that you were irritated by people being eager to mock from the anonymous safety of an internet forum.

:lol:

Who's saying that they don't have the support of the majority of their members? Who's denying that a lot of fans agree with them? What has that got to do with me disagreeing with them? I'm still allowed to do that even if everyone agrees with them.

That fact remains however, that a significant proportion of fans do not agree with them and have no desire to join or participate in a group that does not represent them, they are entitled to do that.

The problem arises because NUSC claims to speak on behalf of all NUFC fans, they refer to the fans as a whole and give off the impression that every fan is totally behind them, that is a lie. NUSC also claims to be a supporters' club representing the fans on a range of issues, that is also a lie.

When someone claims to represent me, but doesn't; when someone claims to speak on my behalf, but doesn't; I'm entitled to complain, I'm entitled to criticise, I'm entitled to take the fucking piss.

If people want to argue against my points then they are entitled to do so, but to simply suggest that I shouldn't give my opinion suggests that you have no counter argument.

What difference does it make if I give my opinion on here or at a NUSC meeting, nothing will change, yet if I do it on here I won't have spent money on train fare and membership fees to "enjoy" a night in the company of people I almost totally disagree with.

Again, I never suggested you or anyone else should not offer opinion on them. I specifically said everyone is entitled to do so. It's the manner of the criticism which pisses me off. NUSC quite clearly want the best for this club but if you feel they are damaging the club then you should consider telling them.

If someone claims to represent you and you fundamentally disagree with this, why not let them know? How are you so sure that your opinions will change nothing? Rather defeatist if you ask me. Btw you don't have to pay membership fees to attend the meetings as far as I'm aware.

For the last time. People who are opposed to NUSC do not have to go along and should not feel obliged or be pressured to do so. The NUSC supporters are essentially saying that if you're a nufc fan then you have to be involved with NUSC, that's total bollocks!! When they are a supporters' club then supporters will get involved, whilst they're a protest group only protesters will join. It's a very simple concept i'm surprised so many are struggling with it.

Do you believe that Mike Ashley's running of the club is the biggest issue for us at the moment?

I don't see in as simplistic a way as that, so no.

There are many issues affecting the club, involving the actions of Ashley, the previous board, and the fans. No one person is to blame for the situation we find ourselves in at present.

NUSC offer nothing at all to the situation.

What do you believe the biggest issue is for NUFC? If you had to pick one.

Do you believe that Mike Ashley's running of the club is the biggest issue for us at the moment?

There are many issues affecting the club, involving the actions of Ashley, the previous board, and the fans. No one person is to blame for the situation we find ourselves in at present.

I've already said that there is not one single biggest issue facing NUFC. I don't have to pick one and I won't. Why do you feel the need to try and force me to do things that I don't want to do? I've given my reasons for not doing the things you want me to do, why don't you convince me that I'm wrong?

Again, I never suggested you or anyone else should not offer opinion on them. I specifically said everyone is entitled to do so. It's the manner of the criticism which pisses me off. NUSC quite clearly want the best for this club but if you feel they are damaging the club then you should consider telling them.

If someone claims to represent you and you fundamentally disagree with this, why not let them know? How are you so sure that your opinions will change nothing? Rather defeatist if you ask me. Btw you don't have to pay membership fees to attend the meetings as far as I'm aware.

You think that they "clearly want what's best for the club", that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. My opinion is that they clearly don't want what's best for the club, they just think what they want is best for the club, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to that.

I've already explained why I don't think they'd listen to my opinion and given evidence to back that up. Other people have told them that they disagree with them and explained why they do so and they've ignored it, a number of people have described how they respond to "dissenters" and I don't fancy being on the end of that myself.

They have said that members will get free access to meetings in future, which leads to the conclusion that non-members will be charged.

They don't want what's best for the club? ???

Of course you may disagree on the best method of acheiving the best for the club but to say they don't want that? I don't understand. What do you feel is their motive then?

What response have they given to people who disagree with them? Genuine question, I've not seen that. The guy at the last meeting caused a few murmors but other than that?

Charging non-members to attend would be a fucking joke.

I've already said that there is not one single biggest issue facing NUFC. I don't have to pick one and I won't. Why do you feel the need to try and force me to do things that I don't want to do? I've given my reasons for not doing the things you want me to do, why don't you convince me that I'm wrong?

I'm guessing that if you did pick a list of the top 5 things wrong at the club then Ashley would ultimately be responsible for most of them. Anyway, I'm not here to convince you, you're clearly not willing to change your mind about NUSC or consider that you could possibly do something yourself so I'll not bother.

Sorry, I worded that confusingly.

What I'm saying is that they believe that what they want is best for the club and that they are ignoring some very important misgivings that have been raised concerning if that is actually what is best for the club. The primary one being that they have no answers to what happens afterwards should they achieve their ultimate aim of getting rid of Ashley. This point has been put to them numerous times, yet they have not attempted to address it and continue pushing for their short-sighted goal. That for me shows a total disregard for what's best for the club.

I'm sure they think they want what's best for the club, but their refusal to hold that idea up to scrutiny is a huge failing and I think that means that they want what they want for the club, regardless of whether it's what's best for the club in reality.

Don't know if that makes it any clearer or not.

I haven't got time to go looking for the posts that describe people's experiences with NUSC when they have disagreed with them, but there's an example towards the start of this thread, if I remember correctly.

It would be a fucking joke, but that's what they intend to do. As I've said, they aren't even doing a good job if you agree with their stance on Ashley.

It seems that you have an issue with people being mean/nasty about NUSC, how did you feel when people were being nasty about Ashley and Co? People only have an issue with people being nasty when they're being nasty towards something they like, it would be great if everyone could be civil all the time, but the world's not like that, is it. Personally, I criticise NUSC because I disagree with them and I ridicule them because I find their actions ridiculous. If those things change then I will change my approach.

I have to say that I find it somewhat ironic that you say people should not snipe, etc, at NUSC when that's all they've ever done towards the people whom they disagree with. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I'm guessing that if you did pick a list of the top 5 things wrong at the club then Ashley would ultimately be responsible for most of them. Anyway, I'm not here to convince you, you're clearly not willing to change your mind about NUSC or consider that you could possibly do something yourself so I'll not bother.

Guess all you like, I've said what I want to say and justified it with evidence, instead of responding in kind your tactic has been to try and play games to make me say something you can then misrepresent to use against my argument, sorry I'm not playing, you'll need to make your own argument and back it up instead.

If NUSC had started off life as a general supporters' club, and then the majority of members had become committed to a particular cause, then that would have been fine.

In reality, the opposite happened. A group of people got organised behind a particular cause, and then called themselves a general supporters' club.

If NUSC had started off life as a general supporters' club, and then the majority of members had become committed to a particular cause, then that would have been fine.

In reality, the opposite happened. A group of people got organised behind a particular cause, and then called themselves a general supporters' club.

Gosh how boring that would have been.  :aww:

They don't want what's best for the club? ???

Of course you may disagree on the best method of acheiving the best for the club but to say they don't want that? I don't understand. What do you feel is their motive then?

What response have they given to people who disagree with them? Genuine question, I've not seen that. The guy at the last meeting caused a few murmors but other than that?

Charging non-members to attend would be a fucking joke.

How about their plans for taking the club forward as opposed to Ashley's 5 year vision? What would they do differently? How would it be financed? Who will provide the finance?

I would be genuinely interested in any NUSC views.

Firstly, I apologise for reverting back to the thing I always do, and that's the Toon Ultras...

Secondly, I think it's vital for any form of new supporters group to be genuine and open minded in their approach, especially if they want to grow (which pretty much every group will want to do). I personally believe that Toon Ultras as a group, when it started out, was very ignorant and stubborn in its approach (probably due to its overwhleming amount of young members). However, we as agroup have became far more open-minded and taken on board various opinions and have managed to grow even if it is only by a little bit. I also believe that despite it only growing slightly it has now been accepted by the majority of Newcastle Fans who know of its existence.

On the other hand, you have NUSC - who are equally as ignorant and stubborn in their approach. This is something I don't mind, as like I say the group I get involved with most was in a similar position. The difference being, like mentioned in previous posts, we were and are a bunch of inexperienced young lads, looking to do something positive, and our goal has never really moved or changed - we still intend to Bring Back The Noise. The NUSC is a bunch of experienced, respectable older blokes, who are far more knowledgeable and wiser than alot of our members and they are aiming for something which is arguably far more negative.

Now this isn't the problem, but rather the name of their group is (haven't we heard this old debate before)..the Toon Ultras actually can claim to putting a non-hooliganesque spin on the name, as an Ultra is just someone who claims to be fanatical about something. Newcastle United Supporters Club is a bit more rigid and will always be interpreted as the main group listening to the vast majority of supporters and claiming to represent the majority....even though it currently isn't.

If it were to grow it would need to take a less stubborn approach, and it would also need to stop asking members to pay to join. What the fuck do they actually do with the money? Make Anti-Ashley banners? Why the fuck can they not make some pro-Newcastle ones too if this is the case? If not where does this money go?

I don't have anything against anyone who is anti-ashley, I don't really have any complaints in fans voicing their views to the club, it's all about timing though. Now is not the time and to answer someones question earlier in the thread - no, Mike Ashley is definately not the main issue at this club at present, staying the Premiership is. Anyone, in my opinion, who can't see this is a bit of a mongoloid....I think some people (not all) would rather we went down and got rid of Ashley than we stayed up and he stayed.

I can understand Dave and more people need to turn up and voice opposing views or pose questions about there other aims and goals. However, in the mean time I think it's down to the NUSC to promote a more democratic outlook, which would be more appealing to potential members. Until they speak to the supporters, they will be limited.

Finally, I just want to re-ittirate my annoyance about how these as a group have managed to come under far less scrutiny than the Toon Ultras, and I feel rather annoyed by the constant portrayal that us Newcastle Fans are all Ashley hating savages who are on one mission and that's to get rid of Big Mike. We are passionate about our club, and what is best for it. What is best for it is staying up. Anti-Ashley rallys certaintly aren't best for it, backing the boys on the pitch is something that could significantly help.

right here you are then,  the NUSC have released what there planning on Sunday.....loads of you will no doubt be gutted to hear that there not storming SJP and burning the place down.....

Timetable for Sunday 22/Feb/09

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of the club and where it stands in our hearts. NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

the timetable is as follows

+2pm - entertainment by the Newcastle Drum Band

2.30pm speaking opportunity

2.50pm - musical interlude

3.00pm - second speaking opportunity

3.10pm - live music from "Oh Lads"

3.20pm third speaking opportunity

3.30pm musical finale and orderly disperse to St James' Park for what hopefully will be a great performance and 3 well earned points for the lads come 6pm.

The "staging" area will be at the south side of the monument facing down towards grey st.

The whole emphasis will be on generating a fun, carnival atmosphere. We hope to have flags and banners on display , and welcome supporters to bring along and display their own flags. There will be an opportunity for those who wish to, to take up membership of NUSC.

Some members have requested that NUSC petition the executives of Newcastle United therefore members will be seeking support for the petition during the course of the rally.

There will be stewards on hand, wearing hi visibility jackets who will be there to assist anyone who requires help and a low key but nonetheless obvious police presence will be in the vicinity; as there would be on any normal match day.

NUSC politely request that those attending the rally pay respect to those who wish to go about their normal sunday shopping experience and allow them to do so with the minimum of distraction. We would also like to emphasise that this is not a protest and no march is planned or sanctioned nor permission requested by NUSC.

Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC)

Firstly, I apologise for reverting back to the thing I always do, and that's the Toon Ultras...

Secondly, I think it's vital for any form of new supporters group to be genuine and open minded in their approach, especially if they want to grow (which pretty much every group will want to do). I personally believe that Toon Ultras as a group, when it started out, was very ignorant and stubborn in its approach (probably due to its overwhleming amount of young members). However, we as agroup have became far more open-minded and taken on board various opinions and have managed to grow even if it is only by a little bit. I also believe that despite it only growing slightly it has now been accepted by the majority of Newcastle Fans who know of its existence.

On the other hand, you have NUSC - who are equally as ignorant and stubborn in their approach. This is something I don't mind, as like I say the group I get involved with most was in a similar position. The difference being, like mentioned in previous posts, we were and are a bunch of inexperienced young lads, looking to do something positive, and our goal has never really moved or changed - we still intend to Bring Back The Noise. The NUSC is a bunch of experienced, respectable older blokes, who are far more knowledgeable and wiser than alot of our members and they are aiming for something which is arguably far more negative.

Now this isn't the problem, but rather the name of their group is (haven't we heard this old debate before)..the Toon Ultras actually can claim to putting a non-hooliganesque spin on the name, as an Ultra is just someone who claims to be fanatical about something. Newcastle United Supporters Club is a bit more rigid and will always be interpreted as the main group listening to the vast majority of supporters and claiming to represent the majority....even though it currently isn't.

If it were to grow it would need to take a less stubborn approach, and it would also need to stop asking members to pay to join. What the f*** do they actually do with the money? Make Anti-Ashley banners? Why the f*** can they not make some pro-Newcastle ones too if this is the case? If not where does this money go?

I don't have anything against anyone who is anti-ashley, I don't really have any complaints in fans voicing their views to the club, it's all about timing though. Now is not the time and to answer someones question earlier in the thread - no, Mike Ashley is definately not the main issue at this club at present, staying the Premiership is. Anyone, in my opinion, who can't see this is a bit of a mongoloid....I think some people (not all) would rather we went down and got rid of Ashley than we stayed up and he stayed.

I can understand Dave and more people need to turn up and voice opposing views or pose questions about there other aims and goals. However, in the mean time I think it's down to the NUSC to promote a more democratic outlook, which would be more appealing to potential members. Until they speak to the supporters, they will be limited.

Finally, I just want to re-ittirate my annoyance about how these as a group have managed to come under far less scrutiny than the Toon Ultras, and I feel rather annoyed by the constant portrayal that us Newcastle Fans are all Ashley hating savages who are on one mission and that's to get rid of Big Mike. We are passionate about our club, and what is best for it. What is best for it is staying up. Anti-Ashley rallys certaintly aren't best for it, backing the boys on the pitch is something that could significantly help.

best thing the toon ultras can do is to join the NUSC, get the best of both worlds,  the extra clout and influence that NUSC can only be good in spreading the message that the toon ultras are trying to portray.  Heza don't believe most of this thread as its based on blinkered opinions and not showing a true reflection on the NUSC from the 3 meetings i have been to.