BOYCOTT the protest rally !!

Benwell Lad

I can now see why there has never been a supporters club.

There was mate. I was in it and it had thousands of members, I've still got the lapel badge. You may remember the Magpie pub/club if you've been going to the match for a few years ?

I'd join another one if it had credibility and actually did what it said on the tin (key words Newcastle United - Support ?) and didn't advocate boycotts which has to be the opposite of "support".

No this is not a supporters club, this is a parochial political movement who want Ashley out and hi-jacked the term "supporters club" for their own purposes.

It would raise their credibility if they actually said who or what they actually want to replace the men they so despise, but typically they are full of protest but never come up with any realistic alternatives.

Remember the late 80's early 90's when chants of "sack the board" were popular, along with sit down protests?  They ushered in a new era of success under John Hall.

I understand the key difference you refer to, in that Sir John Hall had publicised his interest in taking full control at that time.  But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  I think constant pressure should be put on an underperforming owner whether there's a saviour in the wings or not, or you're inviting them to continue ruining the club.

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors of an opportunity to come into a club as the good guys, unlike the Glazers and Hicks of the world who come in as bad guys.

So now the time limit to be a great manager is under 1 year and to be a great owner is 2 years!!!

There was mate. I was in it and it had thousands of members, I've still got the lapel badge. You may remember the Magpie pub/club if you've been going to the match for a few years ?

I'd join another one if it had credibility and actually did what it said on the tin (key words Newcastle United - Support ?) and didn't advocate boycotts which has to be the opposite of "support".

No this is not a supporters club, this is a parochial political movement who want Ashley out and hi-jacked the term "supporters club" for their own purposes.

It would raise their credibility if they actually said who or what they actually want to replace the men they so despise, but typically they are full of protest but never come up with any realistic alternatives.

Remember the late 80's early 90's when chants of "sack the board" were popular, along with sit down protests?  They ushered in a new era of success under John Hall.

I understand the key difference you refer to, in that Sir John Hall had publicised his interest in taking full control at that time.  But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  I think constant pressure should be put on an underperforming owner whether there's a saviour in the wings or not, or you're inviting them to continue ruining the club.

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors of an opportunity to come into a club as the good guys, unlike the Glazers and Hicks of the world who come in as bad guys.

How do you know the new owners will be any better? Doesn't it occur to you that if they didn't want to pay the going rate for the club when it was for sale, they aren't going to have enough money to do things much differently to Ashley even if they did somehow get the finance together?

I don't know anything about investment, finances, the cost of the club, offers made, refused, or the asking price.  All I've heard is what people with a vested interest have said.

I only know we currently have our worst February points total in 20 odd years.  I'm discontent with it and there's no excuse.

Had Ashley of spent some money in this transfer window he wouldn't be getting half the stick that he does and I don't think this boycott would have taken place.

The lack of investment and childish/unprofessional attitude (You don't like me so now I'm going to sell it...) are my main rankles with this management/owner.

P.S. I also don't think the boycott is the right answer, it will just antagonise the current owners and bring us into the media glare again. If NUSC are able to manipulate the press then it might not look so bad but I don't think that will happen.

So now the time limit to be a great manager is under 1 year and to be a great owner is 2 years!!!

Potentially getting us relegated within 2 seasons after 16 years in the top flight?  I don't want anyone great, competent would do.

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors to the fact that a sizeable and vocal minority of their core market is not easily satisfied even by substantial investment in the club.

Had Ashley of spent some money in this transfer window he wouldn't be getting half the stick that he does and I don't think this boycott would have taken place.

The lack of investment and childish/unprofessional attitude (You don't like me so now I'm going to sell it...) are my main rankles with this management/owner.

P.S. I also don't think the boycott is the right answer, it will just antagonise the current owners and bring us into the media glare again. If NUSC are able to manipulate the press then it might not look so bad but I don't think that will happen.

It's not a boycott.  It's a rally.

Guest sicko2ndbest

No, its a fucking joke!

A rally for what ?

Potentially getting us relegated within 2 seasons after 16 years in the top flight?  I don't want anyone great, competent would do.

I'm sure we were having problems before these guys came...............

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors to the fact that a sizeable and vocal minority of their core market is not easily satisfied even by substantial investment in the club.

It's the same with any set of fans.  Investors in Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have had no end of flak from fans even when they're winning shit, because fans are only happy if their manager is given money to spend on players.

The idea that an investor is put off the money making opportunities of buying...and then selling a top flight club by noisy fans...who still show up and pump in £2M per home game is preposterous.

A rally for what ?

NUSC

A rally for what ?

NUSC

So if there are people there chanting for Ashley to leave they are not there for NUSC is that what your saying ? Serious question.

Yeah, and I seem to remember a lot of complaints about it then too.  Why lap it up now?

I also remember the complaints on here that it was only disorganised radgies banging on Shepherds car, and kids outside the reception singing.  There was loads of people saying we needed to be organised and together in insisting that Shepherd go....but no-one actually gave their time and effort to do it....now some people have, and they get nowt but shit.

It's the same with any set of fans.  Investors in Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have had no end of flak from fans even when they're winning shit, because fans are only happy if their manager is given money to spend on players.

The idea that an investor is put off the money making opportunities of buying...and then selling a top flight club by noisy fans...who still show up and pump in £2M per home game is preposterous.

You can't have it one way without the other, chum. An investor, alerted to rallies and boycotts, is just as likely to think "Fuck it, this lot are too difficult" as "Hey, this guy must want to sell the club." In fact, given that everyone already knows the owner would be happy to sell the club, I'd say it's much more likely to have the latter effect.

But never mind, if everyone at the rally just believes hard enough, maybe a Fairy Godmother will appear on top of the Monnie, wave her magic wand, and transform the Toon into Real Madrid.

A rally for what ?

NUSC

So if there are people there chanting for Ashley to leave they are not there for NUSC is that what your saying ? Serious question.

I'm not saying anything like that.  Many people want Ashley to go and many don't.  Many are NUSC members and many aren't.  The two things aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm sure you will get some of those chants.

But then you get those chants away from NUSC organised rallys too.  I've chanted it myself in the stadium without a committee telling me it was ok.

Yeah, and I seem to remember a lot of complaints about it then too.  Why lap it up now?

I also remember the complaints on here that it was only disorganised radgies banging on Shepherds car, and kids outside the reception singing.  There was loads of people saying we needed to be organised and together in insisting that Shepherd go....but no-one actually gave their time and effort to do it....now some people have, and they get nowt but s***.

I'm not lapping it up I just understand we have plenty of money problems and it takes more than 2 years to turn it around. The one thing that I don't agree with about the current board is their choice of manager but then the last board got plenty wrong there.

If they can turn the funds round and start giving money to the manager and we start progressing as I expect we will over the next 5 years I'll be happy.

I'm not worried about relegation this season. After the Man U game at the start of the season people were saying how good our team was and we just needed to add a few faces. Well we're starting to get those players back now so I have no doubts we won't get relegated and then it's a case of getting rid of some dead wood in the summer and bringing one or two good players in to the team.

I don't feel the need to protest just yet thanks I'm happy to let them have a go for a few years yet.

an investor is just as likely to see discontent as an opening and opportunity, for instance say someone from buckinghamshire bought out an unpopular chairman they could quickly institute a PR campaign - chats with fans, rubbishing the previous regime, wearing the replica top in the away end and so on, something that will blind the less intelligent fans to any subsequent incompentence or lack of ambition.

I think that they want to show that they are a "credible" (copyright llambias) organisation and they want to air their displeasure at the current situation.

Perhaps it is a way to show that perhaps 50% of the support agree with them in one manner or another. I certainly agree that the current management is lamentable but I disagree with boycotts and rallies...

I think NUSC are trying to use the resources at their disposal to set up some sort of correspondance with Ashley and company (through media impact?), the problem being that these "childish" (copyright buzza) owners and management team have the hump with them for organising a first boycott and for publishing all of our worries and doubts about what they want to do.

I am on the fence on this one, I agree & disagree...hhhmmm

Guest Micktoon

Personally I think the rally should go ahead. Can you imagine the logistics of it though. Saturday afternoon, middle of the toon, all them shoppers and Mitsubishi's and subarus tear arsing up and doon blackett street, I'm going to book me a flight.

A rally for what ?

NUSC

I'm not saying anything like that.  Many people want Ashley to go and many don't.  Many are NUSC members and many aren't.  The two things aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm sure you will get some of those chants.

But then you get those chants away from NUSC organised rallys too.  I've chanted it myself in the stadium without a committee telling me it was ok.

But in an organised rally stuff surely has to be organised therefore the leaflets should be all join NUSC, banners saying the same and people in charge of what happens. Thats the whole point of an organised committee and an organised rally.

What I predict will happen is you will have an overruling over people chanting for Ashley to go and for cockneys this and that and that is my whole problem with the current set up of NUSC. It appears from the outside to be a solely anti Ashley protest group. I'm sorry but that is how it looks and how it sounds from their meetings.

an investor is just as likely to see discontent as an opening and opportunity, for instance say someone from buckinghamshire bought out an unpopular chairman they could quickly institute a PR campaign - chats with fans, rubbishing the previous regime, wearing the replica top in the away end and so on, something that will blind the less intelligent fans to any subsequent incompentence or lack of ambition.

So how come it didn't blind you?

A rally for what ?

NUSC

But in an organised rally stuff surely has to be organised therefore the leaflets should be all join NUSC, banners saying the same and people in charge of what happens. Thats the whole point of an organised committee and an organised rally.

What I predict will happen is you will have an overruling over people chanting for Ashley to go and for cockneys this and that and that is my whole problem with the current set up of NUSC. It appears from the outside to be a solely anti Ashley protest group. I'm sorry but that is how it looks and how it sounds from their meetings.

I think that it is guerilla tactics: You won't speak to us through normal formal channels, well just wait and see how we generate media reaction and fan support, now come and speak to our Credible organisation.

I hope this is the underlying objective??

I also remember the complaints on here that it was only disorganised radgies banging on Shepherds car, and kids outside the reception singing.  There was loads of people saying we needed to be organised and together in insisting that Shepherd go....but no-one actually gave their time and effort to do it....now some people have, and they get nowt but s***.

I'm not lapping it up I just understand we have plenty of money problems and it takes more than 2 years to turn it around. The one thing that I don't agree with about the current board is their choice of manager but then the last board got plenty wrong there.

If they can turn the funds round and start giving money to the manager and we start progressing as I expect we will over the next 5 years I'll be happy.

I'm not worried about relegation this season. After the Man U game at the start of the season people were saying how good our team was and we just needed to add a few faces. Well we're starting to get those players back now so I have no doubts we won't get relegated and then it's a case of getting rid of some dead wood in the summer and bringing one or two good players in to the team.

I don't feel the need to protest just yet thanks I'm happy to let them have a go for a few years yet.

I wish I could share your confidence.

With 0% Hughton back in charge and Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U visiting next month, I'll maybe ask you about it again at the start of April.

The investor needs to have enough money to buy out the previous owner for that to happen like it did then. Our previous owner for example took his swag and is now trying to buy some piddling club in Spain for £10million. In the same way we need a considerably richer investor than the current owner to come in and there aren't that many about.

A rally for what ?

NUSC

The NUSC can't prohibit members of the public from voicing their own opinions in a public place though.  They've taken the precaution of organising their rally away from the stadium so in the event that it does turn into an anti-Ashley gathering it doesn't affect those who disagree, or the players on the pitch.

I think 90% of fans are anti-ashley, so on the whole I'd think the NUSC are.  But i think they are (for the most part) taking level headed action that doesn't have a negative impact on the team.  Even though I do think a couple of their statements have been heavy handed.