BOYCOTT the protest rally !!

Benwell Lad

Mike Ashley is keeping us afloat from money from his own pocket. That fact alone makes it very difficult to protest/rally - I'm not sure what I'm rallying against!

He is not doing it as a f***ing favour, it is his f***ing club man.

Wrong actually, the club belongs to the region. If it was just his, then nobody would give a f*** if it existed or not. Bottom line is that we do care, and factually and legally Mike Ashley is keeping the club afloat.

I wish a few people would read that article this week which points out (using established fact rather than opinion) that the previous directors took out nearly £150m out of the club into their own pockets, and Ashley has so far has only put money in. Why the f*** have we as a supporter base suddenly gone all militant?!

Belongs to the region or us!?!? My fucking word its a day dreamer.

Ashley has pumped the money in to save HIS business paying millions in £££'s in interest. The previous lot for the majority of there time were/meant to be running the club as a PLC.

Leave your protests until the end of the season. Protest like hell if we are safe by the last home game, but dont do anything now that is going to be detrimental to the team performance and again puts NUFC in the headlines for the wrong reasons

Once again, the protest is being peformed away from the ground so it does not have an effect on the team. If anything a few hundred people marching together to the match may create some sorely needed atmosphere.

This is the most laughable excuse ever.  It may not affect the squad during the Everton match, but what about the match after, or after that, when negative headlines are being thrown about in the papers?  It will create a negative atmosphere around the club, which will ultimately affect our squad during the run in for the final 12 matches, not necessarily the Everton match.  Like sicko2ndbest said in his original post, these people protesting need to grow the fuck up.  What is more important?  Premier League survival or your Protesters Group?  Get your priorities straight for the rest of the season and let's get behind the team - they need us more than ever.

Of course relegation has to be the supporters fault. Stay away from colourful wrappers dear.

I love how attending the protest/rally means that you can't possibly support the club fully because Newcastle United fans are well known for their inability to do two things on the same day :lol:

Sorry David, not meaning to wind anyone up, but read the first few pages, skipped to these and couldn't believe what I as reading on a forum which is representative of our fan base, at a time when we have arguably one of our most important games in our recent history and a manager who has a life saving operation tomorrow.

What the fuck are you protesting against? If it is the usual "its the way our club is being run" then what the fuck is your gangs proposal for making it better? Mike fucking off? I love a protest as much as anyone, but surely anyone with half a brain and the ability to read can see that as a club we are fucked financially. Everyone gives our owner shit loads of stick for just realising it AFTER he bought the club, ignoring the fact that most fans haven't even picked up on it two years later! Its only when the recent accounts were released that most of us realised how close to not existing NUFC actually is!

I'm sorry but everyone knew the club was being mismanaged for years prior to Ashley taking over. Everyone knew we were in massive amount of debt and Shepherd was doing a cackhanded job and knew things were getting desperate.

Do you expect me and other fans to kneel and pray at the alter of Mike Ashley because he paid of the debt? Because I can tell you it's not going to happen. He didn't put his hand in his pocket out of the goodness of his heart but because he fucking needed to. Why? Well, the astute businessman who is running our club completely neglected to perform due dilligence. He was lumbered with us and I don't use that word lightly. If he could've given us back to Fat Fred and his crew he fucking would.

We're fortunate he acted so unprofessionally and he had to pay off the debt as I had no faith in the previous regime. However, it's very much out of the chip pan and into the fire. His initial plan was clearly to buy us, streamline and sell us on at a profit as soon as possible i'm almost certain of that. Unfortunately he wasn't aware of the debt and he certainly didn't see the financial crisis coming. We're stuck with an owner who I don't think wanted us for more than 12-18 months tops and now we're suffering because of it.

Debt or no debt he's got no good reason for releasing much needed funds for players. The phrase "in for a penny, in for a pound" has never been so apt with Mike Ashley's running of NUFC - he's already spent a large amount of cash on the club so why not spend another £20 million (which he has. Financial crisis or not he's still a very rich man...unless he's been betting on shares again) on players so we don't get relegated? You can use the likes of Johnson, Elano, Richardson to counter that argument but I will just say those three were only approached on the very last day of the transfer window and he's had four transfer windows to date to release money.

Mike Ashley is keeping us afloat from money from his own pocket. That fact alone makes it very difficult to protest/rally - I'm not sure what I'm rallying against!

He is not doing it as a fucking favour, it is his fucking club man.

Wrong actually, the club belongs to the region. If it was just his, then nobody would give a fuck if it existed or not. Bottom line is that we do care, and factually and legally Mike Ashley is keeping the club afloat.

I wish a few people would read that article this week which points out (using established fact rather than opinion) that the previous directors took out nearly £150m out of the club into their own pockets, and Ashley has so far has only put money in. Why the fuck have we as a supporter base suddenly gone all militant?!

He is not doing it as a fucking favour, it is his fucking club man.

Wrong actually, the club belongs to the region. If it was just his, then nobody would give a fuck if it existed or not. Bottom line is that we do care, and factually and legally Mike Ashley is keeping the club afloat.

I wish a few people would read that article this week which points out (using established fact rather than opinion) that the previous directors took out nearly £150m out of the club into their own pockets, and Ashley has so far has only put money in. Why the fuck have we as a supporter base suddenly gone all militant?!

Because the Shepherd years conditioned people to think that a few chants of "sack the board" would result in the cheque book coming out? Absence of cheque book seemingly promotes louder and louder chants.

Wrong actually, the club belongs to the region. If it was just his, then nobody would give a f*** if it existed or not. Bottom line is that we do care, and factually and legally Mike Ashley is keeping the club afloat.

I wish a few people would read that article this week which points out (using established fact rather than opinion) that the previous directors took out nearly £150m out of the club into their own pockets, and Ashley has so far has only put money in. Why the f*** have we as a supporter base suddenly gone all militant?!

Belongs to the region or us!?!? My fucking word its a day dreamer.

Ashley has pumped the money in to save HIS business paying millions in £££'s in interest. The previous lot for the majority of there time were/meant to be running the club as a PLC.

Jesus, I do think everyone should have an opinion and everything, but you are coming across as a bit clueless - no offence.

The £100m that Ashley has paid in means that on an annual basis the club are not paying £10m to Northern Rock every year in interest. Yes that benefits NUFC, but it is not going into Ashley's pocket (unless he sells for more than £250m which he can't). It means that the operating costs are £10m less than they would have been otherwise.

I'm sorry but everyone knew the club was being mismanaged for years prior to Ashley taking over. Everyone knew we were in massive amount of debt and Shepherd was doing a cackhanded job and knew things were getting desperate.

Do you expect me and other fans to kneel and pray at the alter of Mike Ashley because he paid of the debt? Because I can tell you it's not going to happen. He didn't put his hand in his pocket out of the goodness of his heart but because he f***ing needed to. Why? Well, the astute businessman who is running our club completely neglected to perform due dilligence. He was lumbered with us and I don't use that word lightly. If he could've given us back to Fat Fred and his crew he f***ing would.

We're fortunate he acted so unprofessionally and he had to pay off the debt as I had no faith in the previous regime. However, it's very much out of the chip pan and into the fire. His initial plan was clearly to buy us, streamline and sell us on at a profit as soon as possible i'm almost certain of that. Unfortunately he wasn't aware of the debt and he certainly didn't see the financial crisis coming. We're stuck with an owner who I don't think wanted us for more than 12-18 months tops and now we're suffering because of it.

Debt or no debt he's got no good reason for releasing much needed funds for players. The phrase "in for a penny, in for a pound" has never been so apt with Mike Ashley's running of NUFC - he's already spent a large amount of cash on the club so why not spend another £20 million (which he has. Financial crisis or not he's still a very rich man...unless he's been betting on shares again) on players so we don't get relegated? You can use the likes of Johnson, Elano, Richardson to counter that argument but I will just say those three were only approached on the very last day of the transfer window and he's had four transfer windows to date to release money.

Ashley was aware of £70 million of debt, he wasn't aware that he would have to pay the money back for the ground so soon.  As for you being certain that he was only here to sell the club as soon as possible, how does that fit with the new Man City owner claiming that he was interested in us but Ashley wouldn't return his calls?

Belongs to the region or us!?!? My f***ing word its a day dreamer.

Jesus, I do think everyone should have an opinion and everything, but you are coming across as a bit clueless - no offence.

The £100m that Ashley has paid in means that on an annual basis the club are not paying £10m to Northern Rock every year in interest. Yes that benefits NUFC, but it is not going into Ashley's pocket (unless he sells for more than £250m which he can't). It means that the operating costs are £10m less than they would have been otherwise.

Your precious.

It means Ashleys business is not paying interest, which saves him in the long term as it is his company.

Your precious.

It means Ashleys business is not paying interest, which saves him in the long term as it is his company.

We benefit from that, even if only because we're still able to go and watch a game because without Ashley that wouldn't have been guaranteed, far from it.

Do you expect me and other fans to kneel and pray at the alter of Mike Ashley because he paid of the debt? Because I can tell you it's not going to happen. He didn't put his hand in his pocket out of the goodness of his heart but because he f***ing needed to. Why? Well, the astute businessman who is running our club completely neglected to perform due dilligence. He was lumbered with us and I don't use that word lightly. If he could've given us back to Fat Fred and his crew he f***ing would.

Ashley was aware of £70 million of debt, he wasn't aware that he would have to pay the money back for the ground so soon.  As for you being certain that he was only here to sell the club as soon as possible, how does that fit with the new Man City owner claiming that he was interested in us but Ashley wouldn't return his calls?

Again, could've been solved by performing due dilligence.

I've only ever heard that mad bastard on SSN claim he was interested in us, but he's been interested in everyone according to him.

Your precious.

We benefit from that, even if only because we're still able to go and watch a game because without Ashley that wouldn't have been guaranteed, far from it.

How many top flight clubs have went bust?

I love how attending the protest/rally means that you can't possibly support the club fully because Newcastle United fans are well known for their inability to do two things on the same day :lol:

true, also I dread what would happen if the players hear there was a protest somewhere outside the ground.. that would undoubtedly f*** up their psyche in an instant .. next thing you know Nicky Butt and Damien Duff will stop caring..

and Blefuscu, I respect your reasons and all, but judging by your last message, obviously NUSC's members are all brain-dead, and will undoubtedly enjoy being represented by chavs on tv. Fair enough, that's a possibility, but you should consider the possibility that the people who go to the protest/rally/whatever are actually people like you - poor sods who love the club. Only difference is they choose to 'voice' their opinion, instead of concentrating on their bevvies, like the true supporters should do..

what is their opinion? apologies if this has already been covered but i've been trying to get an answer all day on what this rally is actually for?

You've wasted your day then, because I'm sure you know the answer.. people are unhappy, you know

i'm sure i dont know the answer, thats why i've been asking, i'm not a mentalist. when i said what is it for i meant what are they hoping to achieve?

Yes, but wasn't the original point from my original post that as a region we have an interest in NUFC (whatever corporate entity it currently operates as) and that business is a loss making business? And if it were not for Ashley, then that business would not exist? I'm thinking about the fact that the only reason the auditors could give the legally required going concern statement in its statutory accounts was because Ashley underwrote the running costs of the club for 12 months?

I don't want to have a personal argument with someone who obviously cares enough about NUFC to bother writing on a forum, but it just winds me up when people manipulate the finance side of things. Attack Ashley for being incompenent at running a football club (or appointing people to run a club) is fine, but focussing on the financial side of things ignores reality a little bit.

Yes, but wasn't the original point from my original post that as a region we have an interest in NUFC (whatever corporate entity it currently operates as) and that business is a loss making business? And if it were not for Ashley, then that business would not exist? I'm thinking about the fact that the only reason the auditors could give the legally required going concern statement in its statutory accounts was because Ashley underwrote the running costs of the club for 12 months?

I don't want to have a personal argument with someone who obviously cares enough about NUFC to bother writing on a forum, but it just winds me up when people manipulate the finance side of things. Attack Ashley for being incompenent at running a football club (or appointing people to run a club) is fine, but focussing on the financial side of things ignores reality a little bit.

Night :thup:

Again, could've been solved by performing due dilligence.

I've only ever heard that mad b****** on SSN claim he was interested in us, but he's been interested in everyone according to him.

He was given less than 24 hours to agree to buy the club and he took the bait, it is his fault but he's paying for that stupidity so I'm not holding that against him until it starts costing me.

We can only go by what the Man City owner said, he's the only source of information that we have but I don't see what he had to gain from lying.  If anything fans of Man City could take it that they weren't first choice.

How many top flight clubs have went bust?

Very few but a lot are currently struggling and Liverpool are potentially in the s***, times have changed and I doubt that they'll all survive the financial mess we're currently going through, certainly not without a great deal of pain.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Sorry David, not meaning to wind anyone up, but read the first few pages, skipped to these and couldn't believe what I as reading on a forum which is representative of our fan base, at a time when we have arguably one of our most important games in our recent history and a manager who has a life saving operation tomorrow.

What the f*** are you protesting against? If it is the usual "its the way our club is being run" then what the f*** is your gangs proposal for making it better? Mike f***ing off? I love a protest as much as anyone, but surely anyone with half a brain and the ability to read can see that as a club we are f***ed financially. Everyone gives our owner s*** loads of stick for just realising it AFTER he bought the club, ignoring the fact that most fans haven't even picked up on it two years later! Its only when the recent accounts were released that most of us realised how close to not existing NUFC actually is!

Leave your protests until the end of the season. Protest like hell if we are safe by the last home game, but dont do anything now that is going to be detrimental to the team performance and again puts NUFC in the headlines for the wrong reasons

Once again, the protest is being peformed away from the ground so it does not have an effect on the team. If anything a few hundred people marching together to the match may create some sorely needed atmosphere.

This is the most laughable excuse ever.  It may not affect the squad during the Everton match, but what about the match after, or after that, when negative headlines are being thrown about in the papers?  It will create a negative atmosphere around the club, which will ultimately affect our squad during the run in for the final 12 matches, not necessarily the Everton match.  Like sicko2ndbest said in his original post, these people protesting need to grow the fuck up.  What is more important?  Premier League survival or your Protesters Group?  Get your priorities straight for the rest of the season and let's get behind the team - they need us more than ever.

Of course relegation has to be the supporters fault. Stay away from colourful wrappers dear.

Of course it's not the supporters' fault - but we can do all we can to make sure it doesn't happen.  Protesting doesn't help at all and is extremely childish.

"I'm physically AOK"

Joe Kinnear 22/11/2008

?Joe Kinnear was admitted to hospital on Saturday morning."

NUFC 07/02/2009

Oh, the evil mendacity of it all!

Mind you, Happy Face will probably claim this proves Ashley turned down investment or something.

Silly picking that one out.

Sillier posting it in the first place as if it proved something.

I originally came up with that one as a bit of black humour.  It never rains but it pours for NUFC.  I do believe that it raises a valid point (however small) of concern about the professionality of those in charge though.

As an aged manager at Newcastle, Bobby Robson would have regular health checks and impart the results to the fans, constantly reassuring us he was still as much of a full shilling as he'd ever been (about 4p  O0).

To have complained of feeling a bit unwell on the Saturday and undergone bypass surgery within less than a week, I've assumed that Kinnear was not being monitored in the same way or his condition would have been flagged.  I don't know if Kinnear was purposely avoiding such checks and misleading his employer, I don't know if his employer took him on without requiring regular checks, I don't know for certain if such checks would have identified the problem.  But as he gave his breathless answers, pausing after every 3 words yet still unable to expurgate himself enough in interviews to avoid FA charges, and given his history, I worried about about his state of health long before the West Brom game.

Did his employers?

true, also I dread what would happen if the players hear there was a protest somewhere outside the ground.. that would undoubtedly f*** up their psyche in an instant .. next thing you know Nicky Butt and Damien Duff will stop caring..

and Blefuscu, I respect your reasons and all, but judging by your last message, obviously NUSC's members are all brain-dead, and will undoubtedly enjoy being represented by chavs on tv. Fair enough, that's a possibility, but you should consider the possibility that the people who go to the protest/rally/whatever are actually people like you - poor sods who love the club. Only difference is they choose to 'voice' their opinion, instead of concentrating on their bevvies, like the true supporters should do..

what is their opinion? apologies if this has already been covered but i've been trying to get an answer all day on what this rally is actually for?

You've wasted your day then, because I'm sure you know the answer.. people are unhappy, you know

i'm sure i dont know the answer, thats why i've been asking, i'm not a mentalist. when i said what is it for i meant what are they hoping to achieve?

peace in the middle east

What I genuinely don't get is why they have to have their boycoutt rally before a ridiculously important home game! I'll reiterate a point I've made before on this forum, why don't NUSC have their rallies and whatever when we've secured our top flight status? or in the close season when they can have as many rallies as they like and maybe wear shorts because the weather's better?

Please direct your energies towards supporting the team and please postpone all of your rallies until May 25th or such point that we have guaranteed another season of premier league football.

Is that not logical?

It's not going to have an adverse effect on the team. Jesus wept, what the f*** is wrong with you lot?

As the poster above you has said they're going to urge people to do exactly what you want and get behind the team, the only difference is NUSC may be capable of creating some form of atmosphere by bringing a few people together pre-match and getting them in the mood.

We'll agree to disagree then.

Irrespective of their motive, this is not the way it will be reflected in the media and will no doubt be jumped upon by the usual retards who turn up at St James' and get on Sky Sports News (no not David Craig). You must agree that there is a proportion of non-match going toon fans who are more likely to attend this rally and turn it to their own agenda? I'm talking about the boycoutt brigade. Is this not potentially providing a forum to turn what could by all means be an idea to 'rally' some support into an anti-regime event? Here underlies my entire point for avoiding these kind of events until the close season or safety-secured point. There is a mass amount of ill feeling around Tyneside, we all know that, and this could potentially provide a forum for it all to raise its head, and THAT would be extremely detrimental.

The media coverage of NUSC so far has been overwhelmingly positive, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. I can't echo your worries about it being hijacked by charvas either as I don't think they're organised enough to turn it into an 'anti-regime event'. Obviously you'll get the odd scratter who is going to go way too far but the majority of Newcastle United fans are level headed blokes who wont suddenly flip the minute Ashley's name as mentioned.

NUSC have every right to protest. It's being done well away from the ground and it wont have any negative effect on the performance of the players and I can't see why any right minded person would think otherwise. Using the logic of some on here then all fans should be barred from fraternising with each other pre-game if they're going to talk about the sorry state this club is in because that's clearly a breading ground for ill feeling that could reveal itself when Shola inevitably misplaces a pass. Do people off here go to the pub with their mates before a match, plaster on a s*** eating grin and talk about what a good job Kinnear, Llambias and Ashley are doing and how we're only a few good results away from Europe for fear that a negative comment is going to lose us a game?

dear me  :doh:

When fans get together for a pre-match pint, it isn't exactly plastered all over national and local news is it?

Next time me and 300 of my mates go for a pint at Grey's Monument then walk up to St James' I'll let you know

Don't be facetious. The point still stands.

The main argument against it is that it could have a negative effect, which is bollocks as any meetings of any fans (barring the next N-O piss up, obviously) no matter how small is going to produce some negative vibes because of the current situation of the club. 300 people may be marching up for the monument but there's going to be another 47,000+ equally as fucked off.

Why are you characterising the views of this forum on the basis of just some of the posters views?

There seems to be a fair split in views over these issues and that reflects extremely well on the quality of this forum.

The arguments boils down to these two groups of issues and i dont think you'll find 47,000 fans taking just one side of this debate.

No one on here is that into Ashely they want to bum him, many dislike him and some just plain fucking despise him. Why? Think Keegan, expenditure and league position. 3 key issues. The Keegan debate is out, the accounts have shown many sides to the expenditure argument and no one would touch us with a barge pole in September. Hence there is a lot to debate.

Boycotts and protests. What purpose do these serve? There are those who say that 'you have to do something, you cant just lie back and take it'. Personally, i dont get this one, since if the club was run in line with expectations but due to luck or whatever was relegated, do you protest at this? Lobby the FA? I mean wtf? The key points are 'to what end?' 'with what objective?'. Some people see a purpose and some dont, both are legitimate positions.

Supporters can communicate with club owners by either staying away or by opening channels of constructive dialogue. Telling the owner to fuck off when he cant is not constructive dialogue. The protest will communicate that there is still disaffection amongs the fans. Only the league position will ever solve that problem (and even then 5th under Robson couldnt solve that completely).

I can now see why there has never been a supporters club.

There was mate. I was in it and it had thousands of members, I've still got the lapel badge. You may remember the Magpie pub/club if you've been going to the match for a few years ?

I'd join another one if it had credibility and actually did what it said on the tin (key words Newcastle United - Support ?) and didn't advocate boycotts which has to be the opposite of "support".

No this is not a supporters club, this is a parochial political movement who want Ashley out and hi-jacked the term "supporters club" for their own purposes.

It would raise their credibility if they actually said who or what they actually want to replace the men they so despise, but typically they are full of protest but never come up with any realistic alternatives.

There was mate. I was in it and it had thousands of members, I've still got the lapel badge. You may remember the Magpie pub/club if you've been going to the match for a few years ?

I'd join another one if it had credibility and actually did what it said on the tin (key words Newcastle United - Support ?) and didn't advocate boycotts which has to be the opposite of "support".

No this is not a supporters club, this is a parochial political movement who want Ashley out and hi-jacked the term "supporters club" for their own purposes.

It would raise their credibility if they actually said who or what they actually want to replace the men they so despise, but typically they are full of protest but never come up with any realistic alternatives.

Remember the late 80's early 90's when chants of "sack the board" were popular, along with sit down protests?  They ushered in a new era of success under John Hall.

I understand the key difference you refer to, in that Sir John Hall had publicised his interest in taking full control at that time.  But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  I think constant pressure should be put on an underperforming owner whether there's a saviour in the wings or not, or you're inviting them to continue ruining the club.

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors of an opportunity to come into a club as the good guys, unlike the Glazers and Hicks of the world who come in as bad guys.

Remember the late 80's early 90's when chants of "sack the board" were popular, along with sit down protests?  They ushered in a new era of success under John Hall.

I understand the key difference you refer to, in that Sir John Hall had publicised his interest in taking full control at that time.  But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  I think constant pressure should be put on an underperforming owner whether there's a saviour in the wings or not, or you're inviting them to continue ruining the club.

An air of discontent among the fans also alerts such investors of an opportunity to come into a club as the good guys, unlike the Glazers and Hicks of the world who come in as bad guys.

How do you know the new owners will be any better? Doesn't it occur to you that if they didn't want to pay the going rate for the club when it was for sale, they aren't going to have enough money to do things much differently to Ashley even if they did somehow get the finance together?