March

Dave

If it was so good then why did Keegan finish last season, played pre season and the four games before he fucked off playing a standard 4-4-2?

Since when was Keegan infallible btw?

I didn't claim he was, my point is that in his last 6 or so competitive games he didn't use the formation, he didn't even use it in pre season when it would have been the perfect opportunity to get other players used to playing in it and finding out who is capable of filling in certain positions when the usual suspects are out injured.

That tells me that he didn't have any intention of going with it long term, but I'm happy to discuss it if anyone thinks I'm wrong on the subject.

Nobody asked what Keegan's preferred side was, the question was asked of us lot. Anything to get in a dig about Keegan fucking off like.

FWIW in pre-season you agreed with me: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,54679.msg1419094.html#msg1419094

If it was so good then why did Keegan finish last season, played pre season and the four games before he fucked off playing a standard 4-4-2?

I didn't claim he was, my point is that in his last 6 or so competitive games he didn't use the formation, he didn't even use it in pre season when it would have been the perfect opportunity to get other players used to playing in it and finding out who is capable of filling in certain positions when the usual suspects are out injured.

That tells me that he didn't have any intention of going with it long term, but I'm happy to discuss it if anyone thinks I'm wrong on the subject.

Nobody asked what Keegan's preferred side was, the question was asked of us lot. Anything to get in a dig about Keegan fucking off like.

FWIW in pre-season you agreed with me: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,54679.msg1419094.html#msg1419094

It's not a dig at Keegan fucking off at all, I've simply pointed out that it was a system that he didn't show any signs of sticking with over the long term.

I didn't say I didn't like the formation either so I'm not sure what you hoped to achieve from posting that link, perhaps you didn't think that bit through properly, if you can be bothered to look I'm sure there's more posts from me saying that I'd like to see the formation used with Barton and Jonas in midfield rather than Geremi as I think both have a great workrate needed for that position although I think Viduka is finished as a top level striker so he wouldn't be much use to us now.

If it was so good then why did Keegan finish last season, played pre season and the four games before he f***ed off playing a standard 4-4-2?

Nobody asked what Keegan's preferred side was, the question was asked of us lot. Anything to get in a dig about Keegan f***ing off like.

It's not a dig at Keegan f***ing off at all, I've simply pointed out that it was a system that he didn't show any signs of sticking with over the long term.

I didn't say I didn't like the formation either so I'm not sure what you hoped to achieve from posting that link, perhaps you didn't think that bit through properly, if you can be bothered to look I'm sure there's more posts from me saying that I'd like to see the formation used with Barton and Jonas in midfield rather than Geremi as I think both have a great workrate needed for that position although I think Viduka is finished as a top level striker so he wouldn't be much use to us now.

Owen had the mumps amongst other ailments and secret operations he was hiding from us all and Viduka was the size of a whale, and so I think Keegan didn't feel there was any point playing that formation with the likes of Shola and Smith who are too slow brained to comprehend it.

Oh the thought of Keegan and that potential 4-3-3 line-up. :( It's pointless even discussing it now tbh, it's never ever going to happen again.

Harper

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Taylor    Nolan  Barton    Gutierrez

Martins  Owen

Subs: Krul, Taylor, Cacapa, Duff, Guthrie, Viduka, Carroll

... that would probably be my favoured starting eleven. There are question marks on whether or not Taylor is ideal for the wing - Duff being the other option. But i think it's important to have atleast one winger who can provide an aerial ball into the box, with a certain degree of accuracy; Jonas and Duff don't fall into that category. Arguably Guthrie in for Nolan, too. What's for sure though, even though it'd be pretty limited from a technical perspective, that midfield there wouldn't be walked over with the ease we've seen throughout the season.

It's tragic what a good side we've had on paper all season - it's a top 8 (or whatever you wanna call it) side without a doubt.

And whilst it'll help... in all fairness, it's only really been 2009 where we've had these serious injury troubles. :undecided:  Out of that eleven, only Barton was out long-term in this season in 08.

Manager, people. :thup:

I'm surprised none before Optomystyc Knight had Raylor in their eleven. Our corners and freekicks has been on another level since he joined. Raylor also did quite well when he played in a central position after Nolan was sent off. He would be my first choice in a three man midfield too.

When we've got our full squad available again I'd go back to the 4-3-3 with Owen  playing the same role as last year, with Nolan making way. Owen is quicker across the pitch and posesses far more skill.

for home games:

Harper

Beye   Colo   Seba   Jose

Barton Nolan Jonas

Owen

Duke    Oba

For aways sacrifise Duke/Owen and bring in Guthrie or Geremi.

That's the one I would go for, Nolan and Barton possibly swapping position depending on where they work best.

Oh the thought of Keegan and that potential 4-3-3 line-up. :( It's pointless even discussing it now tbh, it's never ever going to happen again.

Harper

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Taylor    Nolan  Barton    Gutierrez

Martins  Owen

Subs: Krul, Taylor, Cacapa, Duff, Guthrie, Viduka, Carroll

... that would probably be my favoured starting eleven. There are question marks on whether or not Taylor is ideal for the wing - Duff being the other option. But i think it's important to have atleast one winger who can provide an aerial ball into the box, with a certain degree of accuracy; Jonas and Duff don't fall into that category. Arguably Guthrie in for Nolan, too. What's for sure though, even though it'd be pretty limited from a technical perspective, that midfield there wouldn't be walked over with the ease we've seen throughout the season.

It's tragic what a good side we've had on paper all season - it's a top 8 (or whatever you wanna call it) side without a doubt.

And whilst it'll help... in all fairness, it's only really been 2009 where we've had these serious injury troubles. :undecided:  Out of that eleven, only Barton was out long-term in this season in 08.

Manager, people. :thup:

That's what gets me when people say the "structure didn't work". I think with the recruitment policy with Keegan as manager, we'd at the very least be where the likes of Wigan are, pushing for a top 8 spot.

Harper

Beye      Coloccini    Bassong    Enrique

Raylor    Nolan          Barton        Jonas

Viduka  Martins

SUBS: Krul, Saylor, Geremi, Duff, Owen, Ameobi, Guthrie

Lovenkrands, Cacapa, Ranger, Caroll, Butt and Smith dont even make the bench......we really do have a pretty good squad. now we just need to sort the manager out. is there any way our permanant injury struggles can stop? we're long past the point where its a coincidence. something needs to be done

Nolan should not play ahead of a fully fit Guthrie

Or Owen in an attacking midfield role. He should fight it out with Butt and Smith for the holding role in midfield IMO. Who the fuck would win the role is beyond me, which really means they are all shite.