Bramble

Guest toonlass

Still a lot of idiots on here that wont admit he's a good defender, no matter how well he's played for Wigan.

He dropped a large amount of clangers for us. That has everything to do with the reason why.

His clangers were infuriating but he did defend well for most of the 90 mins which is not true of some of the centre backs we've had on our books since then. Ultimately this was the wrong club for a player of his type, he's probably better off at a low profile club like Wigan.

Guest firetotheworks

Still a lot of idiots on here that wont admit he's a good defender, no matter how well he's played for Wigan.

He dropped a large amount of clangers for us. That has everything to do with the reason why.

His clangers were infuriating but he did defend well for most of the 90 mins which is not true of some of the centre backs we've had on our books since then. Ultimately this was the wrong club for a player of his type, he's probably better off at a low profile club like Wigan.

True, but his mistakes were always monumentally bad, and apparent. Whereas Taylors/Colos etc arent always as instantly noticable in the way that say passing the ball directly to the opposition or making a ridiculous tackle is.

True, but his mistakes were always monumentally bad, and apparent. Whereas Taylors/Colos etc arent always as instantly noticable in the way that say passing the ball directly to the opposition or making a ridiculous tackle is.

He made a lot of good tackles which prevented goals as well.

Well he's a defender that's his job. Being a defender isn't like being a striker. A few great plays don't shadow over monumental errors. A large part of being a great defender is composure, confidence, and being able to read the attack. Bramble always has the physical attributes, but he was definitely not a great defender while he was at Newcastle. We shouldn't fool ourselves.

Guest dover

I must have been seeing a different bramble at wigan then, because he is as bad there as he was here, the difference being that the media hasnt labelled wigan with the worst defence in the P.League like they have us, no matter who we have in the back four, so he isnt slated every sun/mon in the paper. Hes too inconsistent to ever be a P.League defender.

Well he's a defender that's his job. Being a defender isn't like being a striker. A few great plays don't shadow over monumental errors. A large part of being a great defender is composure, confidence, and being able to read the attack. Bramble always has the physical attributes, but he was definitely not a great defender while he was at Newcastle. We shouldn't fool ourselves.

I don't think anyone is arguing he is a great defender.

I must have been seeing a different bramble at wigan then, because he is as bad there as he was here, the difference being that the media hasnt labelled wigan with the worst defence in the P.League like they have us, no matter who we have in the back four, so he isnt slated every sun/mon in the paper. Hes too inconsistent to ever be a P.League defender.

Was voted their player of the year werent he?

I always felt with Bramble that he was destroyed here by MOTD punters, they started showing his EVERY mistake, mistakes you see other defenders make too, but then they got a theme going and EVERY week it would be Oh well let's look at Bramble's mistakes this week hahaha. And it must have had a terrible effect on his confidence. At Wigan he didnt get that attention and even if he did make clangers (and he did) they weren't even commented on, I noticed that a couple of times, the match commentator might say "What was Bramble doing there?" but it was never mentioned again, even by that great defender Mark Lawrence.  :idiot2:

I don't think he's great but I don't think he's that bad either. I'll be interested to see MOTD this year and who they pick out for defensive errors, it might be him but it probably won't be.

what a load of absolute nonsense, he's was their best player by far last season

Guest Stephen927

Bramble always had the physical attributes to be a top defender, just sometimes his concentration slipped. He was good at times, infuriating at others. The pressure put on him by the crowd was intense. He got a bit of a reputation for being clumsy, and coupled with Boumsong it was a journalists wet dream.

"Their best player by far last season". Well done, there's plenty of silly exaggerations in this forum, but you've just topped them all! What absolute rubbish! Valencia and Scharner (just to name 2 players) did much better.

"Their best player by far last season". Well done, there's plenty of silly exaggerations in this forum, but you've just topped them all! What absolute rubbish! Valencia and Scharner (just to name 2 players) did much better.

Both were very good, Bramble was better.

if it's a silly exageration why was Bramble their official player of the season?

EDIT:

Supporter's player of the year

Player's player of the year

Media's player of the year

Away player of the year

Doesn't seem like such an exageration now, does it? Do your fucking reserach

Sometimes though, awards like that aren't necessarily given to the "best" player, but the player the fans, players, etc were happiest with.

Bramble had a good season and mainly error-free, which probably would have surprised the fans and even team mates, and prompted them to vote.

Always thought he had potential to be a class player, but SJP is literally the worst place to be a defender... can't thing of a defence that has had more undue scrutiny than ours.

Yes, it looks that all decent defenders are immediately switched into crap when they wear black-white shirt....

to be fair to the lad, some of the racial abuse he received from his own supporters at SJP exonerates any mistakes he made on the pitch.

He got a lot of racial abuse? He got a lot of abuse, but I'm not sure how much of it was racial.

I've been to loads of games at SJP and have never heard any racial abuse towards Bramble.

Heard him called a Donkey plenty of times but i assumed that was because of two other reasons ;)

no-one's arguing that it is Pilko.

when the slur (whichever it may be) is preceded by a reference to the colour of a player's skin, its usually racially driven (knowingly or not)