Ability plays little part in how we play the game - a lesson in football (TBC)

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd like to talk about the ability aspect of our players and indeed the game. It is hard to believe a good number of our players possess anything remotely like ability (or talent) judging by several of these players' performances week in week out.

But each and every player at the club from Michael Owen all the way through to Shola Ameobi possess ability and believe it or not, there is no real gap in ability between Owen and Shola or any of our players and indeed most that play the game be it at Premier League level or League 2 and I'll explain why.

First of all, many people confuse ability with skill and likewise skill with technique when each are all different and it is important to learn this or understand this.

In driving terms ability would be being able to drive a car, skill would be for example driving at high speeds without losing control and technique would be how you drive the vehicle.

Lets imagine the ball is a car and Shola Ameobi is asked to drive. Can he drive a car first? Yes he has passed his test. Is he a skilful driver? Not really. What is his technique like? Pretty basic.

The difference between Ameobi and Owen as footballers is not in ability but in skill and technique. Outside of those key aspects two other vital  ingredients are what separate Owen from Shola and that is experience (from different training techniques encountered to how many games played and at what level) and of course mentality.

And in order of essential prerequisites to be a good footballer I would place mentality above all else with technique, skill then experience quickly following. Ability doesn't even come into it because all footballers have the ability to play football. You and I would need ability to play football at a professional level but these guys already have it.

What is ability again? Its being able to drive a car, ride a bike or if you're a plumber for example, fixing leaks. How and in what ways is the technique and skill respectively.

The more experienced you are the more refined your skill and technique will become (bad habits not withstanding) which will help you to make better decisions and quicker too (second nature), eliminate mistakes and if you have a good mentality you will make the most of your ability regardless of skill level, experience or technical prowess. In short you will always find your true level.

^

AS AN INDIVIDUAL, anyway

As we know football isn't an individual sport but a team sport and any group of people regardless of occupation needs a leader. In football terms a manager.

TBC....

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't judge until you have read the entire volume of "lessons" which will explain fully why we are s*** and maybe change how people on here view the game, our players and what it takes to play winning football and more importantly what it will take to turn our club around.

We're shit cos we don't have a capable manager, and haven't done all season. Obviously there are direct causes of that which you could pinpoint as "THE REASON" (need i list them...), but in terms of the immediate reason for why we're shit, it's unmistakably the lack of managerial ability. Or skill, rather. :iamatwat:

I don't find your separation of ability, skill and technique particularly convincing tbh.

For me, one of the fascinations of football is that every player is different and unique, just like every character is different. They are all a particular blend of various abilities and attitudes. Starting off from an idea that, underneath, they're basically the same doesn't feel right to me.

No matter how long you've followed the game, there's always something new. Rooney is a prime example of a player with a unique set of qualities, regardless of how highly you rate him.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't find your separation of ability, skill and technique particularly convincing tbh.

For me, one of the fascinations of football is that every player is different and unique, just like every character is different. They are all a particular blend of various abilities and attitudes. Starting off from an idea that, underneath, they're basically the same doesn't feel right to me.

No matter how long you've followed the game, there's always something new. Rooney is a prime example of a player with a unique set of qualities, regardless of how highly you rate him.

Skill covers that - the way of playing football - is what is unique about Rooney and every other footballer. Those that tend not to stand out - your generic footballers - have little or no skill. Rooney is a very skilful footballer and has the technique and attitude to pull off those ways he has of playing the game. But most of all a manager that allows him to and a team that provides him with the right kind of platform for such skills.

So... your point is... "our squad doesn't have differences in ability, it's actually skill."

... thanks. That took about four minutes of my life away.

:lol:

Don't judge until you have read the entire volume of "lessons" which will explain fully why we are s*** and maybe change how people on here view the game, our players and what it takes to play winning football and more importantly what it will take to turn our club around.

Remind me again of your footballing credentials and experience in the game at a professional level?

I'm genuinely interested.

Guest Howaythetoon

If anyone wants the proper definition:

Ability= innate, determines what skills we can learn and how well we learn them.

Skill= learned, stuff like kicking a ball.

Wrong. Skill (in football) is the way you apply your ability, or ways. For example all footballers can run with the ball (ability), but not all can dribble. That is a skill. Dribbling say with your toes would be one technique, another would be dribbling with the outside of your foot. I.e. how you DO the skill would be technique.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just for you Bob

Shola Ameobi:

Ability? Yes. He would never have made it to academy level without ability, even at a club like ours that has a poor reputation when it comes to talent spotting, allowing many to slip from the net so to speak for one reason or another. Shola will be able to do everything Michael Owen can in terms of the basics.

Skill? Debatable. Skill is the act of trying to apply your own individual ability in a different way or unique way. I.e. the Cruyff turn. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. When it does - great skill. When it doesn't - good attempt. The attempt is still an act of skill however. In Shola's case he knows what he wants to do, will often try it, but fails more often than not. That for me is down to cognitive and motor skills which in footballing terms don't seem to work perfectly together where Shola is concerned.

He was probably an early developer as a kid which in youth football gives you all the advantages to start out with, but in a negative sense is like trying to run before you can walk and can really hinder you later on. I think in his youth and throughout his academy years, little attention would have been paid to agility, speed work etc. because it would have been automatically assumed that this was inherent in him already. It wouldn't have been though, his "extra" height, strength and pace over all the other kids was a temporary advantage which was lost when those kids themselves started filling out. This is mainly guess work like but I recall quotes from round about when he was 16 or something discussing his physical adavantages which as we see today, don't exist.

This is actually a common fault in youth football and a major reason why many kids don't make it, they develop physically too early giving them a false advantage over everyone which makes them stand out and gets them selected for academies only for these kids to end up being nothing but average when pitted against and with kids of their own size etc. which will happen as others catch up eventually. Unless great care is taking with these early developers. At Newcastle with our record? No chance.

Technique? It is poor to average and I have a theory for this as technique is really mastered believe it or not in early development, from the ages of 11-16 I'd say. With Shola being physically bigger, quicker etc. than kids his own age when he was a kid, he didn't have to work as hard at his game or master the ball as such like your smaller kids had to (most of the world's greatest ever players were small in stature... coincidence?). This would have been the case right up until his teens maybe. Technique is a lost cause with him now, it will never improve beyond the level it is at now. 

Attitude? I think Shola has a good attitude. Much like with ability if he didn't have a good attitude he wouldn't have made it past academy level. At that level at least he must have shown a good attitude towards learning and training.

Mentality? I don't know the man but he strikes me as someone who lacks a real determination and drive or a real belief in himself. That's a major flaw in football and while not totally prohibitive, the better players all have one thing in common, single mindedness and a great self belief and stoicism.

Opportunity/Chance? Its safe to say he's had his chance now and blew it. However when he first broke into the first-team squad at 18 he had Shearer ahead of him and at a club like Newcastle, future obstacles in the shape of big money forwards signed to either partner Shearer or in Owen's case, replace him. Those years between 18 and 22 are so important in terms of development and in Shola's case you could say his was stunted due to lack of opportunity or chance and this is a bigger issue at a club like ours which has the ability to go out and spend money on players rather than blood from within. With expectations and pressure as it is in the game and at United, its a vicious circle because in many ways its high risk and potentially costly to play youngsters and to give them a chance, a real chance. I personally believe all youngsters need a full season in a relatively healthy environment in their natural position to show their true potential. Some rare examples of course need just one flash of a moment (Rooney) or few games but in general most need a good full year. Most here or not going to get that.

Fitness? He's had many fitness problems which I think could be related to early development as a kid, which have obviously hindered his development. However injury will not prevent you from being able to complete the basics in a competent manner so it is no excuse.

Coaching? This for me is the main reason why Shola Ameobi went from promising youngster with ability to what we see today. He has ability, he has skill and sufficient technique while his attitude if not perfect is good enough. However he lacks and perhaps always has done (another related issue to his early development) footballing sense. I doubt anyone at this club in all his time here from academy to Sir Bobby attempted to instil in him footballing sense, i.e. coach and advise movement, positioning, timing etc. other than rudimentary group coaching. It is no coincidence that his better games in terms of leading the line have came when he has as an individual been selected and used to fulfil certain tactics which in order to impart requires in the main one to one coaching which Shola needed and still does. It is easy to sit here and point this out but in training where the vast majority of training time consists of warming up and warming down, fitness work and unpressurised group drills and the odd meaningless and frankly passy shoot games, it is very very easy for any player to simply blend in and look and function like someone with all the ability in the world. Remember, there is no real gap in ability.

In shooting drills for example, the coach or manager isn't looking for the next Alan Shearer, he's preparing his forwards and the whole point of the exercise is practice, that is all. In such conditions with zero pressure you and I could fire in goal after goal. Put us on that pitch however where skill, technique, experience, confidence, instruction, tactics and all manner of things come into play and we'd freeze and stand out as a complete and utter shambles as Shola does today. Many are amazed he keeps getting selected. In training conditions he probably does do the business, equal to an Owen maybe or even better. It is a crime though he keeps getting picked based on on pitch performances because he quite clearly doesn't have a clue how to play football off the ball.

Guest Howaythetoon

Why am I being taught lessons I did not ask for?

Why are you reading a thread much less responding in one I did not ask you to read?

Guest Howaythetoon

Remind me again of your footballing credentials and experience in the game at a professional level?

I'm genuinely interested.

None. I know, amazing eh. ;)

Just for you Bob

Shola Ameobi:

Ability? Yes. He would never have made it to academy level without ability, even at a club like ours that has a poor reputation when it comes to talent spotting, allowing many to slip from the net so to speak for one reason or another. Shola will be able to do everything Michael Owen can in terms of the basics.

Skill? Debatable. Skill is the act of trying to apply your own individual ability in a different way or unique way. I.e. the Cruyff turn. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. When it does - great skill. When it doesn't - good attempt. The attempt is still an act of skill however. In Shola's case he knows what he wants to do, will often try it, but fails more often than not. That for me is down to cognitive and motor skills which in footballing terms don't seem to work perfectly together where Shola is concerned.

He was probably an early developer as a kid which in youth football gives you all the advantages to start out with, but in a negative sense is like trying to run before you can walk and can really hinder you later on. I think in his youth and throughout his academy years, little attention would have been paid to agility, speed work etc. because it would have been automatically assumed that this was inherent in him already. It wouldn't have been though, his "extra" height, strength and pace over all the other kids was a temporary advantage which was lost when those kids themselves started filling out. This is mainly guess work like but I recall quotes from round about when he was 16 or something discussing his physical adavantages which as we see today, don't exist.

This is actually a common fault in youth football and a major reason why many kids don't make it, they develop physically too early giving them a false advantage over everyone which makes them stand out and gets them selected for academies only for these kids to end up being nothing but average when pitted against and with kids of their own size etc. which will happen as others catch up eventually. Unless great care is taking with these early developers. At Newcastle with our record? No chance.

Technique? It is poor to average and I have a theory for this as technique is really mastered believe it or not in early development, from the ages of 11-16 I'd say. With Shola being physically bigger, quicker etc. than kids his own age when he was a kid, he didn't have to work as hard at his game or master the ball as such like your smaller kids had to (most of the world's greatest ever players were small in stature... coincidence?). This would have been the case right up until his teens maybe. Technique is a lost cause with him now, it will never improve beyond the level it is at now. 

Attitude? I think Shola has a good attitude. Much like with ability if he didn't have a good attitude he wouldn't have made it past academy level. At that level at least he must have shown a good attitude towards learning and training.

Mentality? I don't know the man but he strikes me as someone who lacks a real determination and drive or a real belief in himself. That's a major flaw in football and while not totally prohibitive, the better players all have one thing in common, single mindedness and a great self belief and stoicism.

Opportunity/Chance? Its safe to say he's had his chance now and blew it. However when he first broke into the first-team squad at 18 he had Shearer ahead of him and at a club like Newcastle, future obstacles in the shape of big money forwards signed to either partner Shearer or in Owen's case, replace him. Those years between 18 and 22 are so important in terms of development and in Shola's case you could say his was stunted due to lack of opportunity or chance and this is a bigger issue at a club like ours which has the ability to go out and spend money on players rather than blood from within. With expectations and pressure as it is in the game and at United, its a vicious circle because in many ways its high risk and potentially costly to play youngsters and to give them a chance, a real chance. I personally believe all youngsters need a full season in a relatively healthy environment in their natural position to show their true potential. Some rare examples of course need just one flash of a moment (Rooney) or few games but in general most need a good full year. Most here or not going to get that.

Fitness? He's had many fitness problems which I think could be related to early development as a kid, which have obviously hindered his development. However injury will not prevent you from being able to complete the basics in a competent manner so it is no excuse.

Coaching? This for me is the main reason why Shola Ameobi went from promising youngster with ability to what we see today. He has ability, he has skill and sufficient technique while his attitude if not perfect is good enough. However he lacks and perhaps always has done (another related issue to his early development) footballing sense. I doubt anyone at this club in all his time here from academy to Sir Bobby attempted to instil in him footballing sense, i.e. coach and advise movement, positioning, timing etc. other than rudimentary group coaching. It is no coincidence that his better games in terms of leading the line have came when he has as an individual been selected and used to fulfil certain tactics which in order to impart requires in the main one to one coaching which Shola needed and still does. It is easy to sit here and point this out but in training where the vast majority of training time consists of warming up and warming down, fitness work and unpressurised group drills and the odd meaningless and frankly passy shoot games, it is very very easy for any player to simply blend in and look and function like someone with all the ability in the world. Remember, there is no real gap in ability.

In shooting drills for example, the coach or manager isn't looking for the next Alan Shearer, he's preparing his forwards and the whole point of the exercise is practice, that is all. In such conditions with zero pressure you and I could fire in goal after goal. Put us on that pitch however where skill, technique, experience, confidence, instruction, tactics and all manner of things come into play and we'd freeze and stand out as a complete and utter shambles as Shola does today. Many are amazed he keeps getting selected. In training conditions he probably does do the business, equal to an Owen maybe or even better. It is a crime though he keeps getting picked based on on pitch performances because he quite clearly doesn't have a clue how to play football off the ball.

skill ? ability ?......those are your definitions. as for the rest of the post, there is sooo much to pick at but i can't be arsed. i'll limit myself to your last couple of sentences, i doubt any manager/coach or whatever would continue picking someone on the strength of their training ground games when their real games have been so poor.

Guest battyleespeed

Just for you Bob

Shola Ameobi:

Everybody knows now that he has no natural talent as a striker but he gets picked because he is the only fully fit target player. He'll do a job up front winning the odd long ball and harrying the opposition defenders. Ameobi has been playing as a forward for ten years or so at least in theory he has the experience to play there even if lacks the ability. I don't think he gets selected on basis of "good performances" at training but rather because he is "safe choice" to play up front rather than giving run for half-fit Viduka or Smith. Having said that I'd rather see Steven Taylor up front rather than Ameobi.

What pissess me the most about Ameobi is his complete lack of tactical awareness. Playing professional football for ten years should give enough experience to have at least basic tactical know-how even if he hasn't received "one-to-one" coaching in it. If he only know when to make a run and where to and when not to foul he'd be so much more better asset for the team.

Guest battyleespeed

I'd like to talk about the ability aspect of our players and indeed the game. It is hard to believe a good number of our players possess anything remotely like ability (or talent) judging by several of these players' performances week in week out.

But each and every player at the club from Michael Owen all the way through to Shola Ameobi possess ability and believe it or not, there is no real gap in ability between Owen and Shola or any of our players and indeed most that play the game be it at Premier League level or League 2 and I'll explain why.

First of all, many people confuse ability with skill and likewise skill with technique when each are all different and it is important to learn this or understand this.

In driving terms ability would be being able to drive a car, skill would be for example driving at high speeds without losing control and technique would be how you drive the vehicle.

Lets imagine the ball is a car and Shola Ameobi is asked to drive. Can he drive a car first? Yes he has passed his test. Is he a skilful driver? Not really. What is his technique like? Pretty basic.

The difference between Ameobi and Owen as footballers is not in ability but in skill and technique. Outside of those key aspects two other vital  ingredients are what separate Owen from Shola and that is experience (from different training techniques encountered to how many games played and at what level) and of course mentality.

And in order of essential prerequisites to be a good footballer I would place mentality above all else with technique, skill then experience quickly following. Ability doesn't even come into it because all footballers have the ability to play football. You and I would need ability to play football at a professional level but these guys already have it.

What is ability again? Its being able to drive a car, ride a bike or if you're a plumber for example, fixing leaks. How and in what ways is the technique and skill respectively.

The more experienced you are the more refined your skill and technique will become (bad habits not withstanding) which will help you to make better decisions and quicker too (second nature), eliminate mistakes and if you have a good mentality you will make the most of your ability regardless of skill level, experience or technical prowess. In short you will always find your true level.

^

AS AN INDIVIDUAL, anyway

As we know football isn't an individual sport but a team sport and any group of people regardless of occupation needs a leader. In football terms a manager.

TBC....

I think you have something there in your thesis but it's little off the mark. The rumors are that Michael Owen's ball technique is quite poor (like dribbling, turns and so forth) and I can believe that just watching how he plays. His game is all about off-the-ball movement, first touch and finishes from inside the box. So rather than possessing bags of technique he is quite intelligent and tactically aware. I'd say that part of his game is more than half natural ability and not something that was created by coaching. Coaching might have only refined that area of his game. Then you have Shola who might have better technique than Owen but is complete opposite in terms of footballing intelligence and what I think is his limiting factor as a football player. You can't coach that into him. You can try but he'll never even become close to Owen because he just lacks natural ability of even average player in that one particular area whereas the other is in the opposite extreme.

Experience is important but definetely not everything. That's why you have lot of youngster coming in who can outplay the senior pros. Depends on the individual really. Some players who relied on their speed, directness and flair in their younger years get worn-out and lose their game as they get older. You could debate if that is because they had nothing else in their game and failed to evolve.

Guest Heneage

Why am I being taught lessons I did not ask for?

Why are you reading a thread much less responding in one I did not ask you to read?

To highlight the sheer inane and useless nature of it.

Of course Shola had talent, he's compared with Sammi right now talent but insanely inconsistent. I fail to see what this achieves bar stating the obvious, every player in the league has talent otherwise they wouldn't be playing in the Premier League, the players at the top are the ones who use their talent wisely by passing and moving and are able to use their "Footballing Brain" as my Dad would say to create chances and ergo goals.

Surely when people talk about 'ability' usually, they just mean 'how effective a footballer is he?'.

Yes, technical ability is different to effectiveness in a game, or that ball-juggling guy would be the best player in the world!

The physical aspect of the game is also underestimated. When Michael Owen had fit, willing legs he was one of the best players in the world... look at him when he plays now. Even at a very low level of football, I know when I'm at my fittest I can get the better of players who are much better on the ball and technically skilled.

Experience can sometimes compensate for a lack of physical attributes, but only up to a point and only for 1 or 2 players in a team.

Arsenal play brilliant football, but I would argue that they actually keep things quite simple when it comes to 'technical skill'. What they do is do everything faster and more efficiently because they are fit, confident and motivated.

:lol: hahaha