U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest Heneage

We have quite a few lads from Newcastle in our youth team,not sure about the rules for signing them but fairly sure they will be under some sort of contract.Colback who is in our first team is also a big Newcastle fan,not sure how they have slipped through your net,maybe Newcastle haven't payed as much attention to the academy as  we have.

I was talking to a Arsenal scout at a academy match about 2 month ago and apparently Billy Knott who is now on the fringes of our first team had a trial at Newcastle but you wouldn't pay Chelsea a nominal fee for him and so he signed for us and the scout couldn't believe you had let him slip by.

He'd had discipline issues though hadn't he? I'm sure there was some reason along those lines as to why Chelsea let him go.

I appreciate what you're saying about youngsters etc. I guess our true test will come with how many of the current crop make it, but I'm sure our coaches would say 'Look at Krul, Carroll etc who have Sunderland brought through on the same levels'.

Guest Wearside

Yes he had some off the field problems on London and apparently had a suspect attitude at Chelsea.

Well we've had a few come through in recent years,got money for the likes of Waghorn and Leadbitter and then you have Colback,Henderson and now Knott and Noble close to the first team.

At any academy you will be doing well to get more than 3 or 4 in one age group who go on to be top level players,even if you produce a few and sell them to lower league clubs it will pay for the running costs of an academy.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

SweHenke, you heard from Samuel Adjei lately? He's missed almost the entire season due to injuries. Tore his groin at the start, has it just been his groin causing issues throughout the year, or is it his hamstrings too?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

New Youth Intake/Released List

Most of these haven't been confirmed by the club, so its really just guess work.

Aidan Grant - GK - (HUGE Lad, must be about 6'4" Nike Cup Squad Member)

Jonathan Mitchell - GK (Young Lad who played against Man City reserves and Man U in the Youth Cup)

Remi Streete - CB (Already played this season)

Will Truton - CB (Already played this season)

Michael Hoganson - ST/LM (Already played this season)

Adam Campbell - ST  (Already played this season, Nike Cup Squad Member, Nike Cup MVP)

Steven Logan - RM/CM/CB (Already played this season, Scottish Youth International)

Patrick McLaughlin - contract not being renewed (unconfirmed)

Andy Mogwo - contract not being renewed (unconfirmed)

Ryan Page (unconfirmed)

Liam Henderson (unconfirmed)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, last year's team performed way above expectations, same could be said about last year's U18s too. I'd go as far as to say Chelsea possibly have the best youth setup in England at the moment. Nearly all their youth coaches, at all levels, are full time!

What's your view on Remi Streete Chris?  When I've seen him (not many times) he's looked a little 'limited' but he seems really highly rated.  I've heard he's been linked with some big clubs but didn't realise he was that good.  He seems to have the physical attributes to make it (a bit like Bramble?) so I wouldn't be surprised if he did make it.

I did think his CB partner, Storey I think, looked quite good

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Some games he's shown the potential you hear about; strong, quick to recover, good tackle. Other games he's been a bit quiet, only a young lad like. Storey seems more composed on the ball, and does a good job of commanding the back line. Bit slow perhaps.

The youth team is coming to Singapore to play in a U16 tournament alongside Juventus Everton Flamengo and the Singapore U15 and 16 squads. Nice.

Wont be able to tell who's who though. Except for Adam Campbell maybe, if he's playing. Cant really miss a ginger can you  ;D

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

1-0 U18s when I left - Ryan McGorrigan, terrible game though. Just end to end hoofing, with the ball having more time in the end with the wind, then at anyone's feet. Goal came from a hoof, Linesman flagged offside, ref said play on. Half of Blackburn's Defence had stopped.

U16s looked to be winning too (scored as a goal as I walked by)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiesned

Reserves 2-0 up against Blyth in the Northumberland Senior Cup Final at SJP.

@milesstarforth:

Michael Richardson makes it 1-0 to #nufc after a decent start for Peter Beardsley's side in Northumberland Senior Cup final #blythspartans

One hand on the cup? James Tavernier makes it 2-0 to #nufc with an absolute belter from 25 yards #blythspartans

Guest Geordiesned

3-0 now. Phil Airey.

@leeryder:

#nufc Airey slides home number three! A mountain to climb for #blyth

Guest Geordiesned

@Blyth_Spartans

3-0 ht - it's men against boys! (and the boys are winning easily)

:lol:

Guest Geordiesned

Sounds like there's a bit of minor trouble. Stewards separating Newcastle and Blyth fans. Couple of people thrown out.

Guest Mantis

They seem to have brought all the trolls with them. Its like deliverance in the leazes end of the east stand