U23s & Academy

Skirge

Personally i don't like clubs spending big money on under 18s across the board, i cringe when i see some clubs spending over a million on players that are not even 16 years old.

That's not just us but any club, i don't think it's fair on anyone involved and that kid has massive pressure to succeed from the get go.

like Chelsea with Kakuta for example.

Bigi was different, he had played over 20 professional games in the championship so he had experience of what professional football is all about some of these kids have huge amounts spent on them without kicking a ball professionally.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/10/09/shane-ferguson-proof-of-a-laudable-policy-61634-31994548/

Main bit of note being...

The Journal learned on Friday that United’s Academy has made the necessary improvements that the club hope will earn it Category One status under the new Elite Player Performance Plan to be imposed by the Premier League in the near future. Yesterday it emerged that Newcastle have told agents they have decided not to sign players under the age of 18 any more – a reaction to the failure of the likes of Aaron Spear and Ben Tozer to blossom after cash was spent on them.

The signing of Gaël Bigirimana, who will soon turn 19, is about as young as Newcastle will go when it comes to spending big bucks. It is an understandable policy given the uncertainty that comes with player development, but it also reflects United’s belief that they have been too quick to write off certain players who are in their early twenties.

I find this a bit odd - surely the problem with those players were the fact that they were recruited by Wise who bought badly and overpaid for youngsters.

To be fair I don't think it's that bad of a move for a club with a constrained budget like ours. Chelsea have spent millions (£5m for Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo in particular sticks out) in recent years and got virtually no return from their investment. Plenty of other examples at Man. City, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool as well.

I think with players that young to be successful you really have to adopting a bit of a scattergun approach which will involve investing several million per season and accepting that some of them will fall by the wayside. I think at our club where we're going to be spending a net of about £10m per season on our entire squad it's a tad unrealistic to spend several million of that on players who the majority of will come to nothing.

Alex Gilliead selected for England U17.

Also, the U18s played some cup at St Georges' at the weekend according . Pretty poor results overall, Adam Armstrong scored a hattrick against Aston Villa and won us a game against Southampton with the only goal of the game though. He sounds promising, was impressed with him when I watched that game in the Milk Cup as well.

We were pretty damn mint tonight, could have been any score. Dominated from start to finish playing some lovely stuff along the way.

Xisco put in a very, very good shift and actually looked like he has a bit of talent. Hope he's rewarded with a place on the bench on Thursday alongside Campbell who ran his bollocks off and created a lot of chances for himself and his teammates. Although we didn't have much defending to do, Good and Satka played well when they became a pair at CB, as did Tavernier who looked very classy at both CB and RB. Good in particular was really impressive. Only slight negative for me was Amalfitano. At fault for the goal with an awful back pass that went straight to their striker, something he'd almost done earlier on too. He looks a million miles away from the first team at the minute, unfortunately.

Guest neesy111

We were pretty damn mint tonight, could have been any score. Dominated from start to finish playing some lovely stuff along the way.

Xisco put in a very, very good shift and actually looked like he has a bit of talent. Hope he's rewarded with a place on the bench on Thursday alongside Campbell who ran his bollocks off and created a lot of chances for himself and his teammates. Although we didn't have much defending to do, Good and Satka played well when they became a pair at CB, as did Tavernier who looked very classy at both CB and RB. Good in particular was really impressive. Only slight negative for me was Amalfitano. At fault for the goal with an awful back pass that went straight to their striker, something he'd almost done earlier on too. He looks a million miles away from the first team at the minute, unfortunately.

Good stuff.

Cheers Ash, disappointing about Amalfitano, was literally just thinking why he didn't seem to be getting much of a chance as he has looked like he has something about him on the limited viewings :okay:

Definitely happy about Good, thought he would be getting more of a sniff. What was Abeid's goal like?

Have to say too, it was slightly infuriating watching us play tonight. We looked to always pass it out from Alnwick and play it out from there, whether it be to any of the back four or Abeid dropping in deep. We really did play some fast-flowing, exciting football (loads of men breaking forward when we nicked it off them, good link-up play, running the ball at the opposition, 1-2's, etc). Even when we played it long which wasn't a great deal, the balls had purpose and the diagonals caused Stoke so many problems. Beardsley was encouraging the lads to keep it on the ground as much as possible which was refreshing to hear. This is how the first team should be playing though!

Cheers Ash, disappointing about Amalfitano, was literally just thinking why he didn't seem to be getting much of a chance as he has looked like he has something about him on the limited viewings :okay:

Definitely happy about Good, thought he would be getting more of a sniff. What was Abeid's goal like?

Tidy finish near the edge of the box from a nice move down the right, always expected him to bury it when it fell to him mind. Tavernier's header for the first was a corker, cracking ball from Campbell and Tav did well to get above their LB and put it past the 'keeper from where he was. 

Thought the team were fantastic tonight, played some brilliant one and two touch football and ran Stoke ragged for 90 mins.  If we had put ten past them i don't think they could have complained, there keeper made 4 excellent saves and we had some poor finishing.  For a 16 year old Satka looks like he could be a cracking player in a few years,  i was sitting in front of Carver, Stone and Woodman and JC and Stone were impressed,  they weren't too impressed with Marveaux though!  Also thought JC was going to smack the ref when the ref basically ignored a shocking tackle on Nicholson which resulted in him being stretchered off.  Never seen any of the senior management leave there seats and walk onto the pitch before.

Tidy finish near the edge of the box from a nice move down the right, always expected him to bury it when it fell to him mind. Tavernier's header for the first was a corker, cracking ball from Campbell and Tav did well to get above their LB and put it past the 'keeper from where he was. 

:thup:

Thought the team were fantastic tonight, played some brilliant one and two touch football and ran Stoke ragged for 90 mins.  If we had put ten past them i don't think they could have complained, there keeper made 4 excellent saves and we had some poor finishing.  For a 16 year old Satka looks like he could be a cracking player in a few years,  i was sitting in front of Carver, Stone and Woodman and JC and Stone were impressed,  they weren't too impressed with Marveaux though!  Also thought JC was going to smack the ref when the ref basically ignored a shocking tackle on Nicholson which resulted in him being stretchered off.  Never seen any of the senior management leave there seats and walk onto the pitch before.

Agreed, their 'keeper pulled off some stunning saves.

I really wanted to rave about Satka due to how young he is playing in that side but Good was just so impressive. Reads the game really well and is so composed on the ball. Even had a thought during the game how he could be a mini Colo (minus the hair obviously :laugh:).

They were utter filth, just like their first team. It was an appauling tackle, hope Nicholson's ok. How their #9 stayed on the pitch I'll never know. The two-footed lunge on Xisco was a red all day long and he made two other fouls that were borderline reds too. To not even get booked was pretty disgusting.

Campbell seems like a very 'complete' footballer. Doesn't mean he's going to make it but he has a lot to his game whether it be pace, some tricky movement, his crossing, clever passing. If he ever does make the step up, he's going to be very interesting to watch

Campbell seems like a very 'complete' footballer. Doesn't mean he's going to make it but he has a lot to his game whether it be pace, some tricky movement, his crossing, clever passing. If he ever does make the step up, he's going to be very interesting to watch

I agree, he seems like a more prolific Bellamy.

Not bigging him up to much or anything :lol:

I know the weather was minging but feel sorry for the lads in a way that such a brilliant team display was only witnessed by 221 fans.  The next home game is a top of the table clash against Man U so should be a few more at that one.

http://i50.tinypic.com/15gfg9w.jpg

Look at the ref's view ffs. Only stopped the game when Xisco got up and stuck the nut on him.

Xisco's right hand. :lol:

That looks like a shocker of a tackle mind, the size of the bloke as well means that could have been a leg breaker, easily.

Just like Tiote's.

It's far worse in my eyes, mainly due to the fact he's left the ground and from where I was stood, it looked like his trailing leg also went through into the tackle too. There was a similar tackle just before this that led to Nicholson getting stretchered off, nothing happened with that either.

Just like Tiote's.

jeez man dave look at it, thats a tackle on the standing leg, tiotes was the leg playing the ball. massive difference

edit...my connection dropped (first time ever) and has to happen when daves pulling a funny.