U23s & Academy

Skirge

Harper is our new academy goalkeeping coach.

At the Club's Little Benton Academy, the 41-year-old will work with goalkeepers from under-nine to under-16 level out on the training pitch, as well as helping to create a programme that develops the youngsters in a consistent manner that meets the philosophy of Newcastle United.

"I'm delighted to be working with the young goalkeepers at the Academy," said Harper.

"I've been involved in grassroots football in the area for the last six years so I have extensive knowledge of the many junior football clubs throughout the region. It's great to be back at the Club in a coaching capacity and i'm looking forward to starting."

A venue for Newcastle's U23 game away to West Ham on Monday has been announced by the Premier League - and Peter Beardsley's side will break new ground at the Chigwell Construction Stadium.

That's more commonly known as Victoria Road, home of ex-Football League side Dagenham & Redbridge who are now in the National League.

Kickoff is at 7pm and admission is by paying at the turnstiles on the night £5 adults £3 over-65s/U16s.

Half tempted to go to this tonight - anyone have any idea who's in our U23 squad for the game? Was thinking given the League Cup tie coming up it may be a very young side without the likes of Vuckic, Bigi etc?

• 2 weeks later...

U18s team is currently top of the Northern U18 Premier League after beating Sunderland 0-1 today. Far cry from the last couple of seasons where we've typically been at the bottom. Rafa knows.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mate of mine managed him when he played for his school team and made him captain.  Had to have a few rows with him apparently but said he was far and away the best player he'd managed.  Obviously he's delighted to see him doing so well. 

• 2 weeks later...