U23s & Academy

Skirge

bit strange scrapping academies when we just sold an unknown kid for 6m, the marketing is craving for average overpriced English players by the looks of it.

Not surprising to me. Academies/Centre's of excellence have a piss poor record of developing players who go on to have a full career in the professional game. I really think that youth development should be taken out of clubs and put into regional centre's with a broader access point and a focus on the kids' development, not the club's interests.

After those new rules came in can't any big club with a decent Academy basically poach whatever young talent they want?  I can mind of see their thinking if they're spending money to develop young prospects and the higher ranked clubs are just siphoning off the best of them.

bit strange scrapping academies when we just sold an unknown kid for 6m, the marketing is craving for average overpriced English players by the looks of it.

Not surprising to me. Academies/Centre's of excellence have a piss poor record of developing players who go on to have a full career in the professional game. I really think that youth development should be taken out of clubs and put into regional centre's with a broader access point and a focus on the kids' development, not the club's interests.

Would love to see it run through universities, a bit like in the US.

There would still be affiliation to the areas where professional clubs are to allow sponsorship and support, and it adds in a bonus that those who don't make it get some form of education to support them afterwards

After those new rules came in can't any big club with a decent Academy basically poach whatever young talent they want? I can mind of see their thinking if they're spending money to develop young prospects and the higher ranked clubs are just siphoning off the best of them.

I think there's something in that, i can't remember the exact details but i think that's why it was so crucial that we got a category 1 status.

Basically if the rules we had no were in place several years ago, Delap would have only cost a couple of grand to leave Leeds. The smaller teams can't 'win' with this new set up, so I personally don't blame them. All the money to invest in the set up and then when you do nurture an amazing talent, some bigger club comes along and gives you £10k for him.

NUFC.com

Newcastle's U23 side are in action at St. James' Park again on Monday night, when Wolves provide the opposition in a Premier League 2 game.

Kick-off is at 7pm and as was the case for the 2-2 draw with Norwich City there a fortnight ago, the club's official website be streaming it live for free.

NUFC.com

Newcastle's U23 side are in action at St. James' Park again on Monday night, when Wolves provide the opposition in a Premier League 2 game.

Kick-off is at 7pm and as was the case for the 2-2 draw with Norwich City there a fortnight ago, the club's official website be streaming it live for free.

Gayle, Colback, Aarons, Saivet and Sterry are in the squad. Apparently Gayle and Colback will play. Woodman in goal.

Not surprising to me. Academies/Centre's of excellence have a p*ss poor record of developing players who go on to have a full career in the professional game. I really think that youth development should be taken out of clubs and put into regional centre's with a broader access point and a focus on the kids' development, not the club's interests.

Would love to see it run through universities, a bit like in the US.

There would still be affiliation to the areas where professional clubs are to allow sponsorship and support, and it adds in a bonus that those who don't make it get some form of education to support them afterwards

The US system won't work for football for many reasons, one of which is that footballers are ready to play earlier, the average age of NFL draftee is between 21 and 23, a lot of youngsters have made multiple international appearances before then. You would need to employ some form of scholarship system, the reason a lot of these athletes are allowed to get into university is because of that, they wouldn't meet the criteria form an academic standpoint, the scholarship system is offered by the University because they make money from the sports program, that's not likely with university football teams. There is also no competition for US sports, unlike in the UK where a talented youngster wants to make money from the game but can't do that at home so he'll have the option to wait until he's at least 21 or go to Barcelona, Bayern or PSG academy.