Southport 2 - 3 Gateshead !!

kane2005

played a few seasons with them on the latest FM.. very nice

have a couple of random questions.. are people from Gateshead and South Shields considered Geordies? And is it fair to say that the majority in those places support Newcastle.. I met a mackem in Milan (of all places) the other day and he was claiming that everything south of the river was 'sunlun territory'.. that can't be true?

Guest toonlass

have a couple of random questions.. are people from Gateshead and South Shields considered Geordies? And is it fair to say that the majority in those places support Newcastle.. I met a mackem in Milan (of all places) the other day and he was claiming that everything south of the river was 'sunlun territory'.. that can't be true?

Definitely not true.

what about the Geordie thing.. Are you a geordie if you're born in Gateshead?

Course you are!

Then I would say that :blush:

Well what the hell are you then ? I'm from Gateshead, of course i'm a geordie

Course you are!

In any rational world, Gateshead would be officially (what it is 'actually') South Newcastle.  So, yes, people from South Newcastle could be classed as Geordies, if they want to be!!

I'd say South Shields is definitely more Mackem.

i think somewhere between brockley whins and east boldon is the cut off point.

i went to uni in the land of the unwashed and noticed the metro radio posters advertising match commentaries, newcastle posters up to and including brockley whins on the metro platforms, but from east boldon onward it was all sunderland ones

Course you are!

In any rational world, Gateshead would be officially (what it is 'actually') South Newcastle.  So, yes, people from South Newcastle could be classed as Geordies, if they want to be!!

You're right, Gateshead is hardly even a separate town... I lived under 3 miles from St James Park.

Especially when all the town centre redevelopments are done, the two will start to blend together like never before.

Gateshead are doing very well - don't they have a millionaire backer though? Will be interesting to see if they can survive Conference football on the piss poor gates they get.

That said, Ian Bogie has done a superb job. Puts Blyth to shame really, as we've done f**k all since our FA Cup run and look in real danger of relegation. :(

the shitty thing is if gateshead get promoted, they have to give novak back to huddersfield, clarkie loaned him back to gateshead for the rest of this season and he's like a non-league shearer so i think it might be a struggle next season if they went up

the shitty thing is if gateshead get promoted, they have to give novak back to huddersfield, clarkie loaned him back to gateshead for the rest of this season and he's like a non-league shearer so i think it might be a struggle next season if they went up

Yes, we needed to keep Lee Novak, but (sadly) it seems we needed the money more.  The 'loan-back' for the rest of this season will possibly get us promoted, but we will need to strengthen next season with Lee Novak gone.

Guest neesy111

well i was born in gateshead and lived in washington and get called a mackem all the time by my "geordie friends"

even though i live in newcastle itself now

well i was born in gateshead and lived in washington and get called a mackem all the time by my "geordie friends"

even though i live in newcastle itself now

The town of Washington, though an independent 'town' from Sunderland and not having the word 'Sunderland' in it's addresses, is actually administratively part of Sunderland Borough.  So, I can understand you being called a 'Mackem' by some people.

with only southport and tamworth able to catch gateshead if they win all their games in hand, its starting to look good for a top 3 finish, which would be amazing considering.

i've always wanted to claim washington back lol. my logic was that it's nearer to wardley than sunderland so it should be part of the 'heed

The amusing thing about  this is, back in 1974 (when they were re-organising all the local authority boundaries and forming Tyne & Wear, Greater London, etc) they were finding it very difficult to create a viable "Metropolitan Borough" around the town of Sunderland.  It was too small - population only 190,000, or so. 

So, they decided to 'lump together' the highly independent towns of Washington and Sunderland into one borough (otherwise, because of its location, Washington would have become part of Gateshead).

Even more amusing, they were wondering what to call this artificial 'two-town new borough' and they thought of calling it Washington rather than Sunderland (!!!!!) for a while, before finally (sadly) opting for Sunderland.

So, the current 'City' (so called) of Sunderland, as the new borough eventually became, nearly became the "City of Washington". 

Actually sounds a lot BETTER, doesn't it!!

(PS - my Grandad told me about all this . . . )

Guest thenorthumbrian

Whatever happened to the reserves playing at Whitley Bay?

The reserves sometimes play at Whitley Park - the blue flames ground  - which is home to West Allotment Celtic Northern League club.

Its just down the road from four lanes end, Benton.

Washington is classed as Sunderland. Their address is Sunderland

Completely wrong. 

The word "Sunderland" does not appear in any Washington address.

Read my earlier posts about how the two towns of Sunderland and Washington came to be 'lumped together' for Local Authority purposes in 1974.