Hull City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 14/03/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

26 in 64.?  how many of those were from the penalty spot.   64 starts out how many possible games?

Owen cares more about attending places like Cheltenham than NUFC.   :kinnear:

Strange that because the cameras always find him at SJP in his box.

Worth reading what he said in the days Journal

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/14/michael-owen-exclusive-interview-61634-23141325/

Although I doubt it will cut any slack with you.

nope not getting no slack from me,  Owen go back to your horses!  :kinnear:

Owen has a fair share of good games for us but considering how highly he's rated and how much he's paid he is not doing enough and is not what we need. He's off in the summer and I'm glad. I'm not glad that he probably won't be replaced however and were shafted anyway.

26 in 64.?  how many of those were from the penalty spot.   64 starts out of how many possible games?

Clutching at straws are we? You do realise that he doesn't get injured on purpose, right?

Here's the more specific .com stats for him (at the bottom).

http://www.nufc.com/2008-09images/playerso.gif

We need him scoring these goals now, though. He's just come back from time off so I'll cut him some slack for today's very mediocre performance (not to mention the dismal service provided to him).

Geremi, Smith, Butt & Jonas contributed virtually nothing today. The defence were just hoofing long balls up to 2 strikers who wouldn't reach the 6 foot mark if they stood on each other's shoulders. If you've got Matins and Owen up front, then you need to keep it on the deck, spread it wide and get the midfield up to support the forwards.

Sadly the midfield wasn't capable of supporting them as (Jonas apart) they've got no pace or capacity to attack, leading to a massive gulf between them and the strikers. Hull can win headers from our long balls and know there's nobody following up. It was a shambles.

That's not a bad analysis of what was wrong with the team set up. With Butt being injured Hughton actually stumbled onto a half balanced line up against Man U, but with "big reputation" players available again his lily-livered instincts took over again.

Yes.

People complain about Owen not touching the ball, but ffs sake put him in a side who can actually pass the ball to his feet and you might see him getting involved a bit.

Exactly.

5'8" Michael Owen is ALWAYS going to do precisely fuck all when he's playing in a side that just hoofs balls up to his head and doesn't support him from midfield. I don't blame Owen one bit for his no-show today, it's the "tactics" that we're playing that meant the bloke didn't stand a chance of getting involved.

Same goes for Oba and when he's fit to play, Viduka as well. All three strikers like the ball passed to feet, but we insist on picking awful midfielders then end up hoofing the ball long because there isn't any options in front of the defenders.

“Looking at this club from the outside before I came here it always looked as though there was turmoil off the pitch, players fighting with each other, or managers getting sacked after two minutes. There was always something going on.

“But from afar it also looked a fantastic place to play when things are going in the right direction, with the fans behind you, riding the wave of optimism which engulfs the place when things go well."

Hhahaha so he knew all this but still wanted to join, what kind of a so-called world class player would join a club knowing all this? oh sure Owen , im sure that 115k has nothing to do with it now did it?

Who does he think he is talking tripe like that and think we're really gonna buy that.    :kinnear:

well watching our prospective opponents for next season  Doncaster v Birmingham with Stephen Carr playing in defence or Brum  god we're in the shit for us older lot it's Deja Vu all over again will we get a new messiah just like last time around ,somehow I think not.

well watching our prospective opponents for next season  Doncaster v Birmingham with Stephen Carr playing in defence or Brum  god we're in the shit for us older lot it's Deja Vu all over again will we get a new messiah just like last time around ,somehow I think not.

Shearer :smitten:

We need a new owner first though

“Looking at this club from the outside before I came here it always looked as though there was turmoil off the pitch, players fighting with each other, or managers getting sacked after two minutes. There was always something going on.

“But from afar it also looked a fantastic place to play when things are going in the right direction, with the fans behind you, riding the wave of optimism which engulfs the place when things go well."

Hhahaha so he knew all this but still wanted to join,  oh sure Owen , im sure that 115k has nothing to do with it now did it?

Who does he think he is talking tripe like that and think we're really gonna buy that.    :kinnear:

He said

“It has been said I don’t have an affection for Newcastle. It is also an accusation thrown at foreign players when they come over – that they don’t know what a derby is and so on.

“To a certain extent it’s true, they haven’t come for the sunshine have they? They’ve come because it’s a good career move and that is the same for me.

Hhahaha so he knew all this but still wanted to join,  oh sure Owen , im sure that 115k has nothing to do with it now did it?

He said

“It has been said I don’t have an affection for Newcastle. It is also an accusation thrown at foreign players when they come over – that they don’t know what a derby is and so on.

“To a certain extent it’s true, they haven’t come for the sunshine have they? They’ve come because it’s a good career move and that is the same for me.

what the hell is your point?  he just said exactly what i thought he was a money grabbing scouse git.     "Good career move"  Good wage packet.     

Good Money over Crap Career.   

Just got back from the game and we weren't very convincing at all, only Enrique who yet again was excellent and Bassong who looked comfortable and performed steadily can come out with any credit. Hughton's use of substitutes was awful and should've brought Lovenkrands or Carroll on for Owen but he went for good old Shola who was absolutley shocking, perhaps if he brought on the right players we could've nicked a win but I can't understand why he brought Shola on, extremely daft decision.

Guest Heneage

f*** Owen.. I'd be happy to finally see him go in the summer. I'd rather play Carroll. In the Championship.

Just fuck off will you. I don't care if I get warned for being abusive, but I'm fucking sick of this attitude.

26 in 64.?  how many of those were from the penalty spot.   64 starts out of how many possible games?

Can't really disagree about Owen and his motivation to be here...

but the fact is that we're still not creating enough scoring chances for our forwards! Just think about what Owen and Oba would be doing in a team like ManU! I know they wouldn't make the starting line-up there based on the current form but they'd be lethal with such a support from the other players

He said

what the hell is your point?  he just said exactly what i thought he was a money grabbing scouse git.     "Good career move"  Good wage packet.     

Uh, your entire point was that he was pretending he came here solely because he thinks the club has potential & had nothing to do with him earning a good amount of money.

I quoted the part of the article you'd miraculously missed which said near exactly what you were complaining wasnt said.

He is upfront in saying he came here because it was a good move for him, he also says that hes become attached to the club during his time here. Seems a pretty honest opinion on things to me.

I fail to see any reason for hate towards owen.

Guest Stephen927

Owen has always been one of them players (4-3-3 under Keegan aside) that needs a good team around him to provide service for him to get on the end of. Doesn't make him any less good, he's still one of the best finishers in the country.

I know this is unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kinnear or Wise are calling the shots teamwise (from afar as it were) Nothing can surprise me anymore where this football club is concerned.

I wonder how Uncle Mike is feeling now?

We are also crying out for a playmaker in midfield and have been for the last 3 years. It's all very well having the likes of Butt, Barton, Guthrie and Nolan in there - but they are hardly gonna make something out of nothing. Another area of the team that he been criminally ignored by Wise and his scouting team.

He said

Uh, your entire point was that he was pretending he came here solely because he thinks the club has potential & had nothing to do with him earning a good amount of money.

I quoted the part of the article you'd miraculously missed which said near exactly what you were complaining wasnt said.

He is upfront in saying he came here because it was a good move for him, he also says that hes become attached to the club during his time here. Seems a pretty honest opinion on things to me.

I fail to see any reason for hate towards owen.

I'm sorry but I havent missed the point.

What constitute as a good career move in football?  Does Owen means making more money?  or going to a club that realistically not going to be playing champ leagues or win him many medals?    From Real Madrid to Newcastle?  Good career move?  You think he's telling the truth there?

No reason for hate?   I wouldn't hate him either had he stayed where he was or gone to another club that might actually enhance his own career.   But no instead he was greedy and took the money.   I'm not angry that he actually took the money but really pissed off because he came to our club and took our money when he could have gone elsewhere.

Guest Phil K

f*** Owen.. I'd be happy to finally see him go in the summer. I'd rather play Carroll. In the Championship.

You'll get your wish - to both.

The management and coaching team we've been lumbered with will then set about the task in taking us to new, unchartered by NUFC, depths.

The reports of Nicky Butt going to that pair of imbecilic peabrains in the dug out and asking "Well ???? Any ideas, any tactics ???"

My mate and a couple others have mentioned that Shearer is dropping very broad hints (Given is a close mate) that the whole scene at NUFC is a shambles.

Guest Stephen927

Most footballers would have taken the money Owen was offered to come here.

It's more the clubs fault for offering as much, like they did with Luque when it became clear he wasn't interested in a move.

How the hell did this become a debate about Owen? He may have done fuck all today but look at the midfield behind him ffs. Who gives 2 fucks if he cares about Newcastle, he will still score goals for us if given the chances.

exactly, Owen is just like Luque.   Owen wants us to believe that he really wanted to play for newcastle because he thinks its  agreat career move? hahahaah!  Some of us fanboys may buy that but the smarter ones aint gonna beleive that crap.

Agent tells Owen.  "you're gonna play for Graeme Souness at a club called newcastle."

Owen say;  " wow!!!!!!!!!!!!"

exactly, Owen is just like Luque.   Owen wants us to believe that he really wanted to play for newcastle because he thinks its  agreat career move? hahahaah!  Some of us fanboys may buy that but the smarter ones aint gonna beleive that crap.

Agent tells Owen.  "you're gonna play for Graeme Souness at a club called newcastle."

Owen say;  " wow!!!!!!!!!!!!"

What exactly is your point and how is it relevant to todays game?

How the hell did this become a debate about Owen? He may have done fuck all today but look at the midfield behind him ffs. Who gives 2 fucks if he cares about Newcastle, he will still score goals for us if given the chances.

Not effective enough in a team like ours, pure and simple. When the ball's not in the penalty area, it's like having ten men - which is a problem when the presence of Smith and Butt mean you were down to nine before that.