Tino's Been Back

Skirge

Our stsand in manager? :lol: imagine it, dunno why he has been here like but love Tino.

Done an interview for the official club mag oot on the 13th next month.

Laughed off suggestions that he is here to buy a stake in the club. :lol:

Remember this from the 4-4-2 interview?

What did you know about Newcastle before you joined? And what did you really make of the fans, the food and the women?

Kim Morgan, Croydon

I knew nothing. I’d only been to London before – and to Leeds because they tried to sign me. But the women were divine... Ha ha, I had... well, I don’t know how many girlfriends I had in Newcastle. At the beginning I didn’t even understand what they said. I never liked English food – my stomach couldn’t cope with all the seasoning. So I always ate in foreign restaurants – Spanish, Italian. The Newcastle fans were impressive; I have never had such a strong reception anywhere else. They deserve to be champions. What left me really sad – because I was brought in to win the Premiership – was that we ended up coming second. It was a very strange season.

According to Kevin Keegan, you’d only just met your team-mates and had a glass of wine with lunch before you scored on your Newcastle debut. Were you surprised to be called off the bench under those circumstances? Did you ever have more than one glass of wine before a match?

Pete Moorely, via e-mail

It’s true – I was in Parma, waiting for the papers so I could play in England. Keegan called me on Thursday to say he’d send a private jet so I could watch the game. Then on Friday I got the papers, but I was still just going to watch. On Saturday, they took me to lunch in the club hotel, and I ordered wine because in Italy that’s what we had. I wasn’t allowed to drink Coke in Italy – they’d fine me! So I drank wine, but I never liked it so I mixed it with water. Then Keegan said “get changed just in case”, then “warm up”, then “you’re on!” I wasn’t nervous but I wasn’t even prepared! Luckily it all went very well. But it was just a one-off – I never drank before games. Well, only Coke.

A lot of people blamed your signing for unsettling Newcastle and costing them the league title in 1996-97. How did you feel about that?

Rob Elson, Hertfordshire

I arrived with about 15 league games to go. Normally players need time to adapt. I think I adapted quite quickly. But it was different to Italy. One thing was that I don’t think we got together as a team enough. We lacked responsibility. I don’t mean getting together in the bars – but in the hotels. In Parma, if we were playing at home on a Sunday, on the Saturday we’d all stay at a hotel. In Newcastle, you stayed at home and then went straight to the stadium. But I wasn’t happy at home, I was restless – opening the fridge, going up the stairs... I’m not a big fan of get-togethers, but they do work.

Your hat-trick against Barcelona in the Champions League: how did it feel? Is that the best you’ve ever played? If not, when was?

David Coull, Aberdeen

It felt very nice, especially as it was the most important game Newcastle had played in Europe. But perhaps playing against Metz in the UEFA Cup was my best game, or maybe the last game in 1996-97 against Nottingham Forest when we won 5-0 to qualify for the Champions League.

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/one-on-one/127/article.aspx

Guest Phil K

He certainly couldn't do worse than what we have at the moment.....seriously - he COULDN'T do any worse.

That goes for the managerial team even more so - Brian Clough could do better NOW - and he died years ago.

• 1 year later...
Guest toonarmymia

He parties quite a bit down here in Miami. A friend was in a bar with him round the corner from my house the other week.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tino more than most typifies this club. Utterly mad, frustrating, yet so loveable. We may not win any trophies but when players join this club we win their hearts. Not many players even those who did fuck all or worse, got stick off the fans, have anything but good words to say about the club, the area and the fans. Dalglish recently said there is no better place to be a footballer which speaks volumes I think. There are split opinions on Asprilla, but for me is the ultimate cult hero. I'm extremely proud to know that my club here in Newcastle, England, can capture the heart of some random Columbian footballer in the way it has. That's what football is about, love and passion and heroes. Especially on Tyneside where trophies... well they are rarer than hens teeth or rocking horse shit :lol: TINO TINO TINO

Tino more than most typifies this club. Utterly mad, frustrating, yet so loveable. We may not win any trophies but when players join this club we win their hearts. Not many players even those who did fuck all or worse, got stick off the fans, have anything but good words to say about the club, the area and the fans. Dalglish recently said there is no better place to be a footballer which speaks volumes I think. There are split opinions on Asprilla, but for me is the ultimate cult hero. I'm extremely proud to know that my club here in Newcastle, England, can capture the heart of some random Columbian footballer in the way it has. That's what football is about, love and passion and heroes. Especially on Tyneside where trophies... well they are rarer than hens teeth or rocking horse shit :lol: TINO TINO TINO

:thup: Sums it up perfectly! :clap:

Guest Roger Kint

had to leave at half-time? waste of a ticket man!

He got kicked out for smoking. :lol:

Smurking Tabs or Crack?

Two mates said he walked out normally ie no stewards/police there. he just shook a few hands as he casually left, how reliable is this 'smoking' bit?

Tino more than most typifies this club. Utterly mad, frustrating, yet so loveable. We may not win any trophies but when players join this club we win their hearts. Not many players even those who did f*** all or worse, got stick off the fans, have anything but good words to say about the club, the area and the fans. Dalglish recently said there is no better place to be a footballer which speaks volumes I think. There are split opinions on Asprilla, but for me is the ultimate cult hero. I'm extremely proud to know that my club here in Newcastle, England, can capture the heart of some random Columbian footballer in the way it has. That's what football is about, love and passion and heroes. Especially on Tyneside where trophies... well they are rarer than hens teeth or rocking horse s*** :lol: TINO TINO TINO

:aww:

Guest prestonj1989

had to leave at half-time? waste of a ticket man!

He got kicked out for smoking. :lol:

Smurking Tabs or Crack?

Two mates said he walked out normally ie no stewards/police there. he just shook a few hands as he casually left, how reliable is this 'smoking' bit?

I saw him leave and like you say I didn't see any stewards/ police; just looked like he left of his own accord.