Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5413186/Wage-demands-put-Alan-Shearers-Newcastle-appointment-in-doubt.html

It is believed that Shearer was close to agreeing a four-year deal to take over at St James' Park last week but unless he lowers his wage demands the club will look to an experienced manager to guide them out of the Championship next season.

Mike Ashley, the owner, values Shearer's popularity with the supporters but does not want to give a lucrative contract to an inexperienced manager, lacking in coaching qualifications, who failed to keep the club in the Premier League. According to insiders Shearer also wants to gain control of transfer decisions and has apparently demanded that chairman Derek Llambias take a less high profile role in the running of the club.

In his eight games in charge as interim manager, Shearer's side won one game, drew two and only scored four goals. But Shearer enjoyed being in charge and can count on the loyalty of the supporters who revered him as a player. That could confer a commercial benefit at the turnstiles, but balanced against that are Ashley's concerns that he might find it difficult to sell the club should Shearer and his management team sign lucrative contracts with control over transfer policy.

Newcastle need over the summer to cut dramatically their wage bill, which, according to the most recent figures, stands at £74 million. The squad is riddled with 'toxic assets', players on long contracts at wages in excess of £50,000 a week. Finding buyers willing to take on the wages of Damien Duff, Geremi and Alan Smith will prove exceedingly difficult in the financial climate.

With Michael Owen and Mark Viduka having finished their contracts and Obafemi Martins certain to leave, Shearer is already planning to recruit goalscorers for next season, with Leeds United's Jermaine Beckford a priority. Beckford is available for £2 million after contract talks with Leeds broke down. However, Shearer must negotiate his own terms before he can even begin overhauling the squad.

:rolleyes:

http://football.uk.reuters.com/premiership/news/5B992674-4D61-11DE-8F66-D57A80FAE618.php?rpc=401&

LONDON, May 30 (Reuters) - Ireland midfielder Damien Duff is convinced Alan Shearer will carry on as Newcastle United manager next season to mastermind their campaign for an immediate return to the Premier League.

"There is only one man to get us back and that's Alan Shearer, so I am sure it will be him. I am sure he will take the job," Duff told Reuters.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has spoken to Shearer about replacing Joe Kinnear as full time manager, despite the ex-Magpies striker failing to ensure the club's escape from relegation.

Whoever takes charge next season will be dealing with a much changed squad.

"There will obviously be a massive clear out," Duff said after Ireland's friendly draw with Nigeria on Friday. "There are budgets in the Championship.

"I'm sure the gaffer (Shearer) knows who cares about the club and who wants to stay and who is going to work to get back out of the Championship."

For Duff, who has already pledged his future to the club, Newcastle's relegation was the second of his career after he suffered the same fate with Blackburn Rovers in 1999.

"I've done two years in the Championship before with Blackburn and it didn't really effect me," he said.

"From Newcastle's point of view, (they will go) straight back up. They belong in the Premiership, so just one season in the Championship hopefully."

Are they taking the piss?!

Wage demands? Has to be bullshit and probably put out by Ashley/Lambias to colour Shearer's position. Shearer doesn't need a big money wage to manage this club. It's a pretty blatant attempt to shift the blame, should Alan walkaway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5413186/Wage-demands-put-Alan-Shearers-Newcastle-appointment-in-doubt.html

It is believed that Shearer was close to agreeing a four-year deal to take over at St James' Park last week but unless he lowers his wage demands the club will look to an experienced manager to guide them out of the Championship next season.

Mike Ashley, the owner, values Shearer's popularity with the supporters but does not want to give a lucrative contract to an inexperienced manager, lacking in coaching qualifications, who failed to keep the club in the Premier League. According to insiders Shearer also wants to gain control of transfer decisions and has apparently demanded that chairman Derek Llambias take a less high profile role in the running of the club.

In his eight games in charge as interim manager, Shearer's side won one game, drew two and only scored four goals. But Shearer enjoyed being in charge and can count on the loyalty of the supporters who revered him as a player. That could confer a commercial benefit at the turnstiles, but balanced against that are Ashley's concerns that he might find it difficult to sell the club should Shearer and his management team sign lucrative contracts with control over transfer policy.

Newcastle need over the summer to cut dramatically their wage bill, which, according to the most recent figures, stands at £74 million. The squad is riddled with 'toxic assets', players on long contracts at wages in excess of £50,000 a week. Finding buyers willing to take on the wages of Damien Duff, Geremi and Alan Smith will prove exceedingly difficult in the financial climate.

With Michael Owen and Mark Viduka having finished their contracts and Obafemi Martins certain to leave, Shearer is already planning to recruit goalscorers for next season, with Leeds United's Jermaine Beckford a priority. Beckford is available for £2 million after contract talks with Leeds broke down. However, Shearer must negotiate his own terms before he can even begin overhauling the squad.

:rolleyes:

This may be what Ashley was getting at in the Times article, praising up JFK, saying he took us to 13th from second bottom bla bla. No doubt his footballing friends will be telling him it's Shearer's fault we were relegated. :kasper:

ALAN SHEARER'S future as Newcastle manager is hanging in the balance after Mike Ashley officially put the club up for sale.

Shearer and assistant Iain Dowie threatened to walk out this week after Ashley was unable to assure them funds would be available for rebuilding.

And now there are real doubts Shearer will stay after Ashley revealed he is looking for a quick sale. Sources close to the club believe he would take as little as £80million for Newcastle.

Ashley said: "It has been catastrophic for everybody. I've lost my money and I've made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can . . . advisers will be appointed shortly."

With Ashley desperate to get out of St James' Park, Shearer's appointment will only be confirmed if a new financial structure is approved by the club's bankers this week. A provisional agreement is in place for Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie to sign four-year contracts.

But before they can start the job of leading the club back into the Premier League, Newcastle's bankers have insisted Ashley puts a new business plan in place.

That will include a staggering 50 per cent reduction in Newcastle's £40m overdraft and a major overhaul of a pay structure which has been allowed to spiral.

That means Shearer's deal has been shelved while talks between Ashley and the club's financiers continue this week.

Shearer and Dowie were prepared to walk away from St James' Park last week after an initial breakdown in talks.

Ashley said he was unable to provide any funds for players and the managerial duo said they could not do the job under those circumstances.

But within hours, Ashley changed his mind and said he would give them a transfer kitty of up to £20m - on the understanding they unload some of Newcastle's overpaid and underachieving players.

That will have to form part of the business plan demanded by the bank.

Managing director Derek Llambias has a series of meetings scheduled with both lawyers and financiers this week with a deadline of Friday expected to be set for an agreement.

Guest fading star

Wage demands? Has to be bullshit and probably put out by Ashley/Lambias to colour Shearer's position. Shearer doesn't need a big money wage to manage this club. It's a pretty blatant attempt to shift the blame, should Alan walkaway.

Another dirty trick    :no:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/334071/Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-facing-pound40m-cash-crisis.html

Ashley is desperate to sell the club which has caused him nothing but heartache since he bought it for £134m, before spending a further £100m.But first he must have a business plan in place to make it more saleable.

And part of its appeal to any would-be buyer would be an agreement to have Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie in place for the long haul back to the top.

But one Toon insider said: "Alan's future is just one small spoke in a much bigger financial wheel.

"Everyone knows he wants the job. He is fired up by the desire to take Newcastle back to the Premier League. But, like everyone, he accepts his part in the club's future is dependent on everything being put on a stable footing in the long term.

"He would not accept the job in any other circumstances. This is not about Alan any more. It is about the well-being of a club which finds itself in trouble - and it could get even worse."

Shearer and Dowie were close to walking away at the start of the week. Their talks with Ashley ended prematurely after the owner said he would not be able to provide funding for future transfers.

But Ashley returned to the table and promised up to £20m for new signings over the length of Shearer and Dowie's proposed four-year contracts.

But that assurance now seems unlikely to be carried through, with Ashley having officially put the club on the market.

Our insider added: "Until the financial mess is sorted out, no progress can be made."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/334071/Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-facing-pound40m-cash-crisis.html

Ashley is desperate to sell the club which has caused him nothing but heartache since he bought it for £134m, before spending a further £100m.But first he must have a business plan in place to make it more saleable.

And part of its appeal to any would-be buyer would be an agreement to have Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie in place for the long haul back to the top.

But one Toon insider said: "Alan's future is just one small spoke in a much bigger financial wheel.

"Everyone knows he wants the job. He is fired up by the desire to take Newcastle back to the Premier League. But, like everyone, he accepts his part in the club's future is dependent on everything being put on a stable footing in the long term.

"He would not accept the job in any other circumstances. This is not about Alan any more. It is about the well-being of a club which finds itself in trouble - and it could get even worse."

Shearer and Dowie were close to walking away at the start of the week. Their talks with Ashley ended prematurely after the owner said he would not be able to provide funding for future transfers.

But Ashley returned to the table and promised up to £20m for new signings over the length of Shearer and Dowie's proposed four-year contracts.

But that assurance now seems unlikely to be carried through, with Ashley having officially put the club on the market.

Our insider added: "Until the financial mess is sorted out, no progress can be made."

You've got to be kidding!

I know I'm a bit pissed but I'm sure the amount Dalgleish spent keeps fluctuating.

On a separate note, is it really too much to expect an official update/ reassurance from the club by now?

Can't see how, like.

Just add up what was spent on players during his time as manager and deduct the amount that came in from selling players during his time as manager. I've done it before (it's in my sig) but I just checked it again. £7.65m.

Do you think he spent more, or less than that?

7 649 999.99p

I'm sure that difference would be important to Fat Ash.

Big difference really,  7649999.99p = £76499.9999

I thought it was 1p, like.

Nah, a 1p difference would be either £7649999.99 or 764999999p

Ashley says he's lost all his money and wants out asap.

Club needs to find £20m by Friday or goes into administration.

Shearer's about to walk away.

Isn't THIS the day of good news, eh?

Still, I found my old Swiss Army knife behind a chest of drawers. So it's not all bad.

Still, I found my old Swiss Army knife behind a chest of drawers. So it's not all bad.

And you know your target. Happy days.

Why is it one thing after another with this club. Jesus Christ.

You were sucking ashleys man tits the other day, now do you see the monster he is.

And to think you were taking his milk.

Caused him heartache.

Aye and that's reciprocated in fucking spades Mike.