Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Bontempi

Ok Mr know it all! Who would you think would have come here for the last 8 games and saved us?

A more experienced manager less chummy with certain players would have been a better choice.

Remember this is the club that had ample time to replace Keegan once he left, but with no manager worth his salt wanting the job we had to make do with  Joe fucking Kinnear?
No argument from me there the rot started at the top.

We should be thankful that he actually had the balls to attempt to save this club, the glaring fact is the players had no fight in them to start with and I believe no manager on the planet could have stirred them into action.

Jesus fucking Christ we get it. 110 pages of the players were shit/it's not shearer's fault we went down that's been evident from the day he was appointed (check the thread why don't you)

You calling him a gimmick proves what little respect you have for a great servant of the club and the sort of negativity the club could do without.
He was a gimmick as a manager. An untried manager with zero experience who is supposed to come in with 8 games left and rescue the club in true local hero style is not a gimmick?

Ask yourself a question mate.

Some fair points being made about alternatives, personally Id of made him train with the reserves, fined and kept shctum about it, if the media ask just say its been dealt with internally. Simple diplomacy.

if he was just a player who had got sent off then yes....but it was more than that rerally wasn't it ?

a bit like when you gave examples of clough/ferguson........but neither of them had joey barton and everything that goes with him (oh and by the way clough would often be outspoken in the press about his players and would quite probably have been more outspoken ithan shearer in this instance)

Different era with clough but Im sure Paul McGrath was a bit of a handful for Fergie, as was Yorke, not in the same class but the examples are there, SBR consistently got the best out of Bellmay even though he was a jumped up prick and a thug as well, his downfall was probably that he may of been too lenient howeverhe didnt drag the club thorugh the mud when things went wrong.

Really struggling for inspiration here, gonna cut my losses.

i iunderstand your point i just think joey barton is a different level of knacka and defending him in any way wouldn't have done the club any good.

Barton is a nutcase.

bartons a violent knacka......you are a nutcase.

Does the name Cantona ring any bells when it comes to Fergie's handling of nutjob football players?

Some fair points being made about alternatives, personally Id of made him train with the reserves, fined and kept shctum about it, if the media ask just say its been dealt with internally. Simple diplomacy.

if he was just a player who had got sent off then yes....but it was more than that rerally wasn't it ?

a bit like when you gave examples of clough/ferguson........but neither of them had joey barton and everything that goes with him (oh and by the way clough would often be outspoken in the press about his players and would quite probably have been more outspoken ithan shearer in this instance)

Different era with clough but Im sure Paul McGrath was a bit of a handful for Fergie, as was Yorke, not in the same class but the examples are there, SBR consistently got the best out of Bellmay even though he was a jumped up prick and a thug as well, his downfall was probably that he may of been too lenient howeverhe didnt drag the club thorugh the mud when things went wrong.

i iunderstand your point i just think joey barton is a different level of knacka and defending him in any way wouldn't have done the club any good.

Barton is a nutcase.

Does the name Cantona ring any bells when it comes to Fergie's handling of nutjob football players?

not quite in bartons psycho league i'm afraid.

Barton is a nutcase.

Are you sure? We are talking about a player who lunged two footed into the crowd on live TV.

It's also worth noting Cantona fell out with every manager he served under until Fergie.

Barton is a nutcase.

Are you sure? We are talking about a player who lunged two footed into the crowd on live TV.

It's also worth noting Cantona fell out with every manager he served under until Fergie.

kicked someone in a crowd is hardly stubbing a cigar out in a team mates eye or attacking a team mate and continuing to do it when he;s out cold,then getting imprisoned for was it plain old assault or abh ?

theres falling out with people then there is regular violence.

Barton is a nutcase.

kicked someone in a crowd is hardly stubbing a cigar out in a team mates eye or attacking a team mate and continuing to do it when he;s out cold,then getting imprisoned for was it plain old assault or abh ?

True, but he was also a poet.  :pow:

Barton is a nutcase.

I think you need to know a little bit more about Cantona.

From wikipedia:

Cantona's first football club was Auxerre, where he spent two years in the youth team before making his debut on 5 November 1983, in a 4–0 league victory over Nancy.

The whole of 1984 saw Cantona's footballing career put on hold as he carried out his national service. After his discharge he was loaned out to Martigues in the French Second Division. Rejoining Auxerre and signing a professional contract in 1986, his performances in the First Division were good enough to earn him his first full international cap. However, the first of his disciplinary problems had already begun when in 1987 he was fined for punching team mate Bruno Martini in the face [3]

The following year, Cantona was again in trouble because of a dangerous tackle on Nantes player, Michel Der Zakarian, resulting in a three game suspension, later reduced to two, as his club Auxerre threatened to make the player unavailable for selection in the national team. He was part of the French under-21 side that won the 1988 U21 European Championship and shortly after that success, he transferred to Marseille, the club he supported as a boy, for a French record fee (FF22m). Cantona had quite often shown signs of being 'short tempered' in his career to date, and in January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow he kicked the ball at the crowd and ripped off and threw away his jersey after being substituted. His club responded by banning him for a month. Just a few months earlier, he had been banned from international matches for one year after insulting the national coach on TV.[4]

Having struggled to settle at Marseille, Cantona moved to Bordeaux on a six-month loan and then to Montpellier on a year-long loan. At Montpellier, he was involved in a fight with team-mate Jean-Claude Lemoult and threw his boots in Lemoult's face. The incident led to six players demanding that Cantona be sacked. However, with the support of team-mates such as Laurent Blanc and Carlos Valderrama, the club retained his services though banned him for ten days.[5] Cantona was instrumental as the team went on to win the French Cup and his form persuaded Marseille to take him back.

Back at Marseille, Cantona initially played well under coach Gerard Gili and his successor Franz Beckenbauer. However, the Marseille chairman Bernard Tapie was not satisfied with the results, and replaced Beckenbauer with Raymond Goethals, with whom Cantona did not see eye-to-eye. Cantona was also continually at odds with Tapie and despite helping the team win the French Division 1 title, he was transferred to Nîmes the following season.

In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an "idiot". His ban was increased to three months.  :laugh:For Cantona, this was the last straw and he announced his retirement from football in December 1991.

The French national team coach Michel Platini was a keen fan of Cantona, and persuaded him to make a comeback because he admired his talent. On the advice of Gérard Houllier as well as his psychoanalyst, he moved to England to restart his career, "He [my psychoanalyst] advised me not to sign for Marseilles and recommended that I should go to England."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Barton is a nutcase.

I think you need to know a little bit more about Cantona.

From wikipedia:

Cantona's first football club was Auxerre, where he spent two years in the youth team before making his debut on 5 November 1983, in a 4–0 league victory over Nancy.

The whole of 1984 saw Cantona's footballing career put on hold as he carried out his national service. After his discharge he was loaned out to Martigues in the French Second Division. Rejoining Auxerre and signing a professional contract in 1986, his performances in the First Division were good enough to earn him his first full international cap. However, the first of his disciplinary problems had already begun when in 1987 he was fined for punching team mate Bruno Martini in the face [3]

The following year, Cantona was again in trouble because of a dangerous tackle on Nantes player, Michel Der Zakarian, resulting in a three game suspension, later reduced to two, as his club Auxerre threatened to make the player unavailable for selection in the national team. He was part of the French under-21 side that won the 1988 U21 European Championship and shortly after that success, he transferred to Marseille, the club he supported as a boy, for a French record fee (FF22m). Cantona had quite often shown signs of being 'short tempered' in his career to date, and in January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow he kicked the ball at the crowd and ripped off and threw away his jersey after being substituted. His club responded by banning him for a month. Just a few months earlier, he had been banned from international matches for one year after insulting the national coach on TV.[4]

Having struggled to settle at Marseille, Cantona moved to Bordeaux on a six-month loan and then to Montpellier on a year-long loan. At Montpellier, he was involved in a fight with team-mate Jean-Claude Lemoult and threw his boots in Lemoult's face. The incident led to six players demanding that Cantona be sacked. However, with the support of team-mates such as Laurent Blanc and Carlos Valderrama, the club retained his services though banned him for ten days.[5] Cantona was instrumental as the team went on to win the French Cup and his form persuaded Marseille to take him back.

Back at Marseille, Cantona initially played well under coach Gerard Gili and his successor Franz Beckenbauer. However, the Marseille chairman Bernard Tapie was not satisfied with the results, and replaced Beckenbauer with Raymond Goethals, with whom Cantona did not see eye-to-eye. Cantona was also continually at odds with Tapie and despite helping the team win the French Division 1 title, he was transferred to Nîmes the following season.

In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an "idiot". His ban was increased to three months.  :laugh:For Cantona, this was the last straw and he announced his retirement from football in December 1991.

The French national team coach Michel Platini was a keen fan of Cantona, and persuaded him to make a comeback because he admired his talent. On the advice of Gérard Houllier as well as his psychoanalyst, he moved to England to restart his career, "He [my psychoanalyst] advised me not to sign for Marseilles and recommended that I should go to England."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

punched someone,threw boots and a ball.......knocked no-one out and hospitalised no one, i suspect his punches were like dyers and bowyers.

Interesting comparison - Cantona and Barton. Both had very high opinions of themselves which made them feel that all kinds of selfish actions were justified.

IF Joey was the quality Eric used to be I would forgive him every time:lol:

Interesting comparison - Cantona and Barton. Both had very high opinions of themselves which made them feel that all kinds of selfish actions were justified.

talk to any ex-pros and they'll tell tales of training ground fisticuffs, it happens but barton went too far too often.

Guest toonlass

Skirge wins the avatar and sig competition this year.

Like being a very good player justifies a reason for being an asshole? I don't care how good Barton is(or can be as he hasn't showed any of his so called ability while at Newcastle IMO) but at the moment he's just a trouble I think both financially(because of his huge ages) and sportingly. The sooner Big Al kicks him out of the wage budget the better. We have had our fair share of trouble makers in the past so how about investing for some real team spirit for once?

Like being a very good player justifies a reason for being an asshole? I don't care how good Barton is(or can be as he hasn't showed any of his so called ability while at Newcastle IMO) but at the moment he's just a trouble I think both financially(because of his huge ages) and sportingly. The sooner Big Al kicks him out of the wage budget the better. We have had our fair share of trouble makers in the past so how about investing for some real team spirit for once?

I was joking man, but you cannot compare those two players, Fergie was willing to put up wuth Eric as he was an immense player, right or wrong its how it was. No way Fergie would put up with a player of Joey's ability with his temperament.

Takeover groups all want Shearer as manager

Jun 18 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

ALAN Shearer is hoping for a significant breakthrough in his bid to become Newcastle United’s permanent manager after four consortia began due diligence yesterday.

Those four groups, who have shown they have the money to match the £100m asking price, were all given access to the internet data room containing the club’s financial information, although it is still not certain that any will follow that up with an acceptable bid.

It is understood Shearer is the overwhelming choice to become permanent manager, but there are still a number of potential problems ahead which may cause any takeover deal to collapse.

Although Ashley did much to clear United’s astronomical debt during his two ill-fated years on Tyneside, the club’s finances are in a perilous state following relegation, and this could scare off the interested parties as the true size of the rebuilding project reveals itself for the first time.

The Journal understands that some groups have had more trouble than expected trying to raise the necessary capital to meet Ashley’s asking price and if the club’s finances are as perilous as some fear, they will have to end their interest immediately as they simply do not have the money to buy the club and also bankroll it for at least one season in the Championship.

Nevertheless, Shearer remains hopeful a breakthrough is near, although he is not expecting to hear anything concrete before the weekend, as he has been told the interested groups need more time to inspect the books and to work on a salvage plan to stabilise the club before it can have any chance of making an immediate return to the Premier League.

Shearer has sensibly kept his own counsel during an increasingly farcical saga as he waits at home for updates on the managerial situation at St James’s Park, but his frustration hit a new high yesterday on the release of next season’s Championship fixtures.

A source close to the former United captain said: “Seeing the fixtures for the first time has only highlighted how close the new season is and what a mess Newcastle are in. Alan wants to get cracking, there is so much which needs to be done and he knows it.

“We have been told that something could happen in the next few days in terms of appointing a manager, but who knows how people are going to react when they see the books for the first time. If there are four interested people now, there might just be one left in a couple of

days time. All Alan wants is a decision. This has dragged on for far too long. Hopefully there will be a breakthrough soon because Newcastle need a manager if they are going to recover from relegation next season.”

Meanwhile, the agent of Fabricio Coloccini appears to be sending out a series of mixed messages regarding the future of the Argentina international.

Marcelo Lombilla, who has been instructed to find the centre-back a new club, insisted yesterday there were no offers on the table for the defender and described reports linking him with a move to Sevilla as “speculation”.

But, just 24 hours earlier, Lombilla claimed in Spanish Sport paper Marca that several clubs were close to signing the former Deportivo La Coruna star, who picks up nearly £80,000 a week at St James’s Park.

He said: “We are considering several offers, all of them from Europe. One of the options on the table is a club from Southern Spain.”

Newcastle have announced they will play three pre-season friendlies against English clubs with the dubious highlight a home game against former top-flight rivals Leeds United on July 29.

The Magpies will also travel to Darlington on July 18 and Huddersfield Town, managed by former United midfielder Lee Clark, on July 21. A couple of overseas friendlies are also expected to be announced shortly with Ireland the expected destination.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/18/takeover-groups-all-want-shearer-as-manager-61634-23907579/

I'd hope it's a one-year rolling contract like Tony Mowbray's.

We don't want to give someone with 8 games managerial experience a long-term contract. That would be ridiculous.

I see where you're coming from but if the new owners were to come in and give him a 4 year contract it would imply to me that they are looking for stability, something we desperately need.

That's a huge risk. What happens if we get to December and it's obvious that he's not up to the job?

You also have to remember that a one-year rolling deal means it could be 1 year or 21 years. Everyday Shearer wakes up he still has 365 days left on his contract, which means if he's doing a good job he has nothing to worry about, and if he's not, then it won't cost us a crazy amount in compensation to sack him.

That's a huge risk. What happens if we get to December and it's obvious that he's not up to the job?

You also have to remember that a one-year rolling deal means it could be 1 year or 21 years. Everyday Shearer wakes up he still has 365 days left on his contract, which means if he's doing a good job he has nothing to worry about, and if he's not, then it won't cost us a crazy amount in compensation to sack him.

Didn't realise that was how it worked tbh.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway.

I remember Robson had a one-year rolling contract, then in 2004 that was changed to a simple one-year contract meaning his contract was up in 2005.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/venables-favourite-to-replace-robson-558387.html

Newcastle were in relegation trouble when Robson took over and, although the team improved, they still failed to win a trophy. The 71-year-old was originally on a 12-month rolling contract which was converted into a one-year deal until 2005. Much to Robson's annoyance, Shepherd had already let it be known publicly that the deal would not be renewed. The manager's position was not helped by persistent rumours of player unrest with Kieron Dyer forced into making a public apology after refusing to play out of position.

I don't understand why rolling contracts aren't the norm within the managerial world.